Crimson Tide,
For Deer? I understand that unless your deer are a lot tougher than most, everything you own will work, but sometimes you just WANT a louder noise! If you had to justify different guns, you might have only a '06 in the safe. Not much it won't do here in the lower 48 for most people.

If you reload for that '06 and have to get projectiles, I'd look at a fast 30. The .300 WSM is a good accurate round and the 300RUM is also a good choice. I have the 300RUM and I really enjoy it for shooting and hunting. I reload for it , not hard at all. Loaded moderately, fired from a 26" 700BDL with the new Remington squishy pad installed, the recoil is tolerable. Going to hunt plains game in Africa, it is my choice because I shoot it well and it will do what I need there.

A .338 class gun could be fun, I considered it recently. If I was to get another gun, I might jump up a notch and get a .375H&H. though I'd probably never get the chance to hunt with it. Why? Because I can. grin Or I want to. wink If I had to justify my guns based on need, I'd have to sell most of them!

Have fun and enjoy what ever you get!

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"