Home
Posted By: jimmyp Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I understand it takes a long action so why not just a .280 or .270 instead?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Why use a 280 or 270, why not a 270 Weatherby or 7mm RM?

I run several 223 in short actions, but the would handle a 22/250 or 220 Swift.

Going out on a limb here but sometimes enough is enough and less is often times more.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Because I didn't want a .280 and already had a .270 when I had my 7x57 built. Not that I needed a reason. Besides, I'm pretty sure my 7x57 will tip over anything I decide to shoot with it. And there's something nostalgic, one might say classic, about the 7x57. Something that in my opinion the .280 lacks.

I don't like it - I love it! smile

For me, the 7x57 was Great Grandad's cartridge. And Grandad's. And Dad's. All the animals on all the walls in all of their homes fell to that cartridge. I didn't start out with one, but once I got one... I understood.

There are rumors of certain strains of Gun-Loony sickness that will completely take-over a guy: 1911 sickness, Savage 99 sickness, Pre-64 M70 sickness, et al. Not everyone is susceptible to a sickness, but once you're bitten - it's all over. The 7x57 can definitely be a sickness.

I'm sure the animals couldn't tell the difference between a 223 and 458 Lott if I were able to shoot them all in the ear. Even behind the shoulder, there's not enough difference in effect to truly justify having more than a couple of cartidges: 1 tiny, 1 huge. Trying to pick between 2 cartridges that are adjacent on the cartridge continuum is foolish: witness the ".270 vs. .30-'06" threads...

So, get whatever you like. But if you try a 7x57, you've been forewarned!

FC
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I have one in the shop because my wife is going to shoot it, just a little less than the 270/280.
Posted By: CLB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Already own a .280, but I'd still buy a 7x57. In fact, there is not much in 7mm that I would not own like 7RM,7-08,7SAUM, etc. IMHO, nothing not to like about .284 cals.

As a rifle nut, 7x57 is just something you have to own. YMMV.

CLB
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why use a 280 or 270, why not a 270 Weatherby or 7mm RM?

I run several 223 in short actions, but the would handle a 22/250 or 220 Swift.

Going out on a limb here but sometimes enough is enough and less is often times more.

Scott hits the essence of it.....some like just enough, but no more.

In general I've chosen a 270 or 280 (and often a 7 mag) on a 30/06-length action,but as I understand it,at first the 7x57 was made by Mauser on "intermediate-length" Mauser actions designed specifically for the cartridge;and other wonderful stuff like small ring G33/40 and VZ33 actions.

But these dry up,a guy is lucky to have them,and actions morphed into 30/06 which is what is available to most of us,so lots of 7x57's wound up on 30/06 actions.Neither here nor there really as they work well,and differences are trifling.

If you feel you need the additional velocity of the 270 or 280 it's there if you want it;but given that most BG falls this side of 300 yards,the 7x57 does just fine,and I have seen it kill considerably further.
The 7x57 is an extremely high performance cartridge.

It achieves this by providing a good trajectory, uses bullets of superior performance for the majority of game hunted, demonstes penetration levels out of proportion to its paper ballistics and is one of the easiest to shoot, low recoiling cartridges with moderate muzzle blast that can be put into a lightweight mountain or plains rifle configuration.

Now if you bed it into a nice chunk of walnut, add a buffalo horn forend tip, red rubber recoil pad, some express sights to help contribute to upfront balance and a the now mandatory barrel band sling swivel and it has no peer for coolness.

No .270 or .280 can match that, and worse still, no rifle manufacturer has the marketing skills to put it all together. They just don't have the manufacturing capability to meet the demand that would be created.

There are just so many Corvettes and trophy wives a seasoned hunter can use, but a nice 7x57, that is something else.

JW
Posted By: eclectic Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I've got a 270, 280, 6mm, 243, 257AI, 25AKI, and a herd of 30 calibers in the safe. I also have stuff on both ends of this list. However, the 7X57 usually gets the nod. It just plain works well.
Posted By: Bob257 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I'm a big fan!! I have a Remington Classic that's taken around 15 deer. I have a lot of rifles to choose from so it doesn't go every year. I have to give the newbies their chance! LOL!
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I have to second what the members are saying about the 7x57. It has its own magic that can't be reduced to numbers. I've been through 3 of them and settled with my CZ FS. It is fun to carry and shoot and every kill has been clean. And it has a little class. Mine has been easy to reload for as well. It loves 4350 behind 139 Hornadys. I have a couple of new loads with H414 that I hope to try Friday if it's not pouring down rain.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
"Who likes the 7x57?"

Apparently a lot of folks, given the quantity and popularity of 7x57 threads here on the 'Fire.

Nothing compares to the 7x57. Nothing. Not a 280 or a 270.

It's like what has been said of the Jeep: "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." My vehicle 'thing' is for my Suburbans, but that's another story. smile

As an aside, I shot a big-ol' tom turkey last night (with a 12 gauge, not a 7x57).

Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
The 7x57 is a classic, and for me there need be no other reason. The fact remains that it is very capable as a hunting round so nothing is lost there. Many in North America decry any cartridge not from this continent, and miss out on a great opportunity.

Randy
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I don't disagree, the 7 x 57 is interesting as a "gives" more for less cartridge. The .257 Roberts got me thinking about it.
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
257 being 7x57 baby brother. I am fond of both
Randy
Posted By: CLB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Jimmy,

Take a look at that thread going on now "7x57 Zastava" you'll see why you need a 7x57.
Posted By: Bitman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
The 7x57 is my second favorite caliber, next to the 257 Roberts.
It's kinda like riding a Harley, if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. :-)
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Actually, the 7x57 doesn't require a long action. It fits in what might be called a mid-length action, with a 3.1" magazine. There aren't many of these around, but those that exist are pretty classy, such as many kinds of small-ring Mausers the "short" Montana 1999. Which is why I had my 7x57 built on a Montana 1999 action.

It also fits nicely in a really short action, the Ruger No. 1.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Truth be known, I am a .280 Rem fan, but I am always on the look out for a nice 7x57. I think if I ever found one, I would probably not buy another rifle. I have owned several different .284 cal rifles, but a 7x57 has always eluded me.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I don't disagree, the 7 x 57 is interesting as a "gives" more for less cartridge. The .257 Roberts got me thinking about it.

The other cartridge that's a leader in the more-for-less category is the 6.5x55. Gotta love 'em both. I've taken quite a few deer with both at ranges from 30 to 200+ yards and excellent is the only word to describe them. Getting my new/old 257 Roberts tuned up for deer season and looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
serious question - who hunts with a 7x57 and does not reload (ie. uses only factory fodder)? i have repeatedly read about the "slow" factory offerings due to the availability (and use) of older rifles.
Nothing against the 7x57, but if I get another 7mm it will be a 7mm-08 in a short action (most likely option) or a .280 Rem in a long action.

In the meantime, my Rem Mag will do...
Posted By: n2daddy Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Aside from the lack of factory ammo, what's not to like. Super effective on the business end, super mild on the shooter end. Shoots the full range of .284 bullets effectively, including the larger ones. Efficient and effective, been around forever. It totally deserves a revival. Unfortunately it falls between the 7-08 and 280. A true classic. I love the quote from the Nosler manual "The 7X57 is the archetype for modern rounds" well stated!! Wish it was chambered in a modern rifle these days.
Posted By: bluesman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
In a Mauser, this cartridge is my pick of the litter in smaller bores. The .308 isn't too shabby either.

Terry
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I have to second what the members are saying about the 7x57. It has its own magic that can't be reduced to numbers.

This is and will continue to be one of the all time greats and while it canot be reduced to numbers I think that for me going out in the field with a 7x57 cartridge that has held up for 118 years in a 98 actioned rifle that has been the touchstone for gunmakers for 112years and my own nearly another 60 gives me 290year experience to call on.

The 7x57 is the one c/f rifle cartridge I would never be without and my custom 1908 DWM loves the 160gn woodleigh over 46gn H4350 for 2700fps and up to any task I might ask of it. A fast load of 3237fps for the GS HV bullet over 51gn BL-C2 is a nice adition to its repetoir.

Von Gruff.
I recently picked up a Mexican small ring Mauser in this caliber. Got it for $125.00. The stock has beautiful color and grain, but it is a Monte Carlo, so I will want to have it tapped for a scope. I shot it with the open sights, and it shoots great, but my face has to be way down on the stock to line up the sights. Still, I have loved this caliber for a long time. I also love the 6.5X55, but the history of San Juan Hill and the Rough Riders getting chewed up with those 7mm Mausers still holds my interest. It was because of those Mausers that the great 30-06 came to be. At the time it was first fielded, it was like having a laser to vanquish your enemies with. It is an excellent round for most of the hunting that I do.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
For me, �It's a Mauser cartridge thing, you wouldn't understand.�
Five years ago I bought a #1 in a .257 Roberts. Now I have a 7x57, a 8x57, and a 9.3x62. I'm looking for a for a 9.3x57 or maybe a 6.5x55 or ...
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
serious question - who hunts with a 7x57 and does not reload (ie. uses only factory fodder)? i have repeatedly read about the "slow" factory offerings due to the availability (and use) of older rifles.

When my son first started hunting with his Ruger I bought 80 rds of Hornady 139 gr BT Interlocks to shoot for a while and save the brass. He shot 3 does with the factory loads from about 60 yds out to just over 100. Two went 30 or 40 yds and the other dropped. One about 110 to 120 lbs was facing and he put the round between her shoulder and neck. We found it up against the opposite side femur when cutting up the deer. Nice expansion, no core separation, just a flat spot on the mushroom where it butted the bone. No idea the velocity but they kill deer.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
Steelhead has it down pat.

What a great cartridge. Hunt with one and you will not need to look any farther. But if you love hunting and shooting, you have to give other cartridges a try, but you will be back!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
hotsoup,

A couple of years ago I bought several brands of 7x57 and 7mm-08 factory ammo at a local store and shot them in a pair of rifles that had the same barrel length. Brands were Federal, Winchester and Remington. The average difference in muzzle velocity was about 100 fps, and less than that in some loadings. I doubt anybody would ever be able to tell the difference in the field.

Well, except for the fact that Federal still offers a 175-grain load in the 7x57.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/19/10
I have a 280 and a 7x57 and I would take the 7x57 over the other anytime.
It get the job done without a lot of worry.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, except for the fact that Federal still offers a 175-grain load in the 7x57.

JB - The best part of that Federal load....ROUND NOSE BULLETS! My M70 Fwt love's em. It will not shoot 140 or 145 gr factory fodder worth a #$%^ but it sure will shoot those 175gr round nose.

Rob
i just got 4 box's of 175 gr. factory winchester rn's.

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Somebody really should find the John Jobson article from Sports Afield, Aug. 1973 and post it. Its about the 7x57.
I painted myself into a corner about 15 years ago when after selling a Featherweight in the coveted Ingwe Special 7mm Mauser caliber, I missed it so much that when a couple of Rigby's came up I grabbed them both.

The .275 remains in the stable and I can't resist its charm though I believe there are better made rifles than my example. It is a very good shooter though, MOA is very ho hum with it.

JW
Posted By: FC363 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
When I replace the barrel on my M700 .270, it's going to become a 7x57. I have always wanted a rifle in that cartridge and that would be a good rifle to put it in. It's amazing how that old cartridge hangs on in spite of all the newer faster rounds.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I painted myself into a corner about 15 years ago when after selling a Featherweight in the coveted Ingwe Special 7mm Mauser caliber, I missed it so much .....

I like the 7x57! laugh

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: blackwinch Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
What's not to like about the 7X57?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
I was going to post the 'this thread is worthless without pics' picture, but ingwe saved the day. I already have a .257 Roberts and .300 H&H, so as far as classy goes, the 7x57 will probably be the next addition to my safe.
Posted By: n2daddy Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I was going to post the 'this thread is worthless without pics' picture, but ingwe saved the day. I already have a .257 Roberts and .300 H&H, so as far as classy goes, the 7x57 will probably be the next addition to my safe.

That would be a great classic 3 pack!!!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Yeah, it is an effective round! and I especially love it in a Model 70 Featherweight..

it can even work with light loads..

[Linked Image]

This 210 pound blacktail was taken with a load of 28 grains of SR 4759 and a 115 grain Speer HP ( according to my notes).....heart shot...

[Linked Image]

not much in the recoil dept either.. especially with this load...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
[Linked Image]

It can be pretty accurate also...
Mine never liked any of the lighter bullets I tried in it except 150 gr. NPTs
It loved the 175 gr in anything, so that is mostly what it got, till the 160TSX came out... grin

[Linked Image]

It kills whitetails too.... wink

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Well, certainly Jack O'Connor thought highly of "the little 7mm." I recently came across a 1974 Gun Digest article by O'Connor entailing the history of and his experience with the 7x57.

He mentioned his first purchase in 1934 of a rifle in that caliber, a Mauser 98 actioned custom by gunsmith Bill Sukalle of Tucson with stockwork by Adolph Minar. O'Connor had a Noske 4x fieldscope mounted in a Noske sidemount and the rifle weighted in at under 8 pounds. He regretted trading off that "lovely little" rifle in 1940 and mentioned praise for the cartridge from hunters such as his wife Eleanor, W.D.M. Bell, Capt. Jim Corbett and Prince Abdorreza of Iran.

This statement from O'Connor says it all. "I think I've seen more game killed with fewer shots from this modest little cartridge than any other." High praise indeed!
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Ingwe, I like the pic w the whitetails. That's a good frame and it looks like you had a heck of a good day!
Posted By: jpb Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Ingwe, I like the pic w the whitetails. That's a good frame and it looks like you had a heck of a good day!

Yes, I like it too. The dog seems very pleased with himself! smile

John
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Yes, I like it too. The dog seems very pleased with himself! smile

John

Thanks guys..it WAS a good morning. My wife and I only had the one morning to hunt together that fall and things werent looking too good till those two dudes showed up..two bang flops quicker than it takes to tell it! grin
She shot one with her '06 and I shot one with the 7x57.....
Ingwe
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Nice pics Ingwe, the buck to your left is a good one!
Good pics Ingwe.

I am a huge fan of the 7x57.

ddj
Thanks Sammo...he just showed up in the wrong place at the wrong time..but the odd thing the pic barely shows is that he outweighed the other almost 2 to 1...Im no lightweight at #270 so that buck is no slouch in comparison....but they both tasted good!!!

ingwe
The 7x57 works in Africa too....!

On all creatures....Great...

[Linked Image]

And small grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Ingwe: Nice bucks,nice rifle and nice dog! The B&W looks like a photo I'd expect to see in an O'Connor article smile
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Ingwe, I was comparing the deer bodysize as well. Wouldn't have guessed that much difference but it is alot bigger.
Look at the size of the noggin's, the big deer is a toad!

Bob, Ingwe sure has stash of great pics!

IngweDog knows the deal.....(grin)
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
maybe one day I will stumble across a 7 x 57 smile
Posted By: CLB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Ingwe,

That's a real nice B&W Photo you have there. Classic cartridge and classic buck.

CLB
Posted By: CLB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

JB - The best part of that Federal load....ROUND NOSE BULLETS! My M70 Fwt love's em. It will not shoot 140 or 145 gr factory fodder worth a #$%^ but it sure will shoot those 175gr round nose.

Rob

Rob,

As a northern deer, blackie, moose hunter, the combination is all anyone would ever need...I'm sure you already know that. wink

CLB
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
There was an old saying back on the farm..."The cream always rises to the top." This thread is evidence of that.

Where else but the fire can the 7x57 get so much respect.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Who likes the 7 x 57?

I don't dislike it. I just don't get dizzy and lightheaded when I see one.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Add me to the long list of 7X57 fanatics. Just got my newest back from the smith being barreled. First dozen or so rounds out of it in horrible winds showed great promise. Just need to get back to the range with it soon! Then, it is off to McMillan to get it fitted and bedded into an Echols Legend stock. Can't wait!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
I'll get pics up of two beauties in the next couple of days. It will never come back as a commonly offered cartridge. Ruger seems to be the only one with a willingness to dabble with some of the old classics.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Somebody really should find the John Jobson article from Sports Afield, Aug. 1973 and post it. Its about the 7x57.

Sports Afield, August 1973, John Jobson - The 7/57: The Welterweight Rifle With the Heavyweight Punch

Your wish is my command. The only problem is I have the article scanned to a pdf file and do not know how to post it. confused

If I sent the file to you can you post it or anyone else on the fire?

i'd like to read it !
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Who likes the 7 x 57?

I don't dislike it. I just don't get dizzy and lightheaded when I see one.

John, but what if Browning chambered the X bolt rifle in it! smile

I figure we are all a bit eccentric, all you have to do is post on the optics forum to verify this fact... I don't like the .243 but like the .257 which is essentially the same thing, don't know that I would want a 7-08 but thinking about it I like the idea of the 7x57...again no logic whatsoever.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
If Browning chambered a rifle for it I'd buy a Savage....
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Very good work. I'm sure someone can assist with the posting phase.
PM your e-mail address and I will send it too you.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Who likes the 7 x 57?

Why would I want a 7x57 when I can have either a 7-08 or a 280 or a 280AI?

7x57 is neither fish nor fowl; too long tofit a short action well, too short to fit a long action well..........it works after a fashion in either, depending on action manufacturer, but offers nothing others don't do better.............unless you're into thinking you're Karamojo Bell.

MM
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Originally Posted by roundoak
There was an old saying back on the farm..."The cream always rises to the top." This thread is evidence of that.

Where else but the fire can the 7x57 get so much respect.

[Linked Image]

In the hands of anyone who has owned one.

Randy
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Count me in. Gentry made this one, but so far it's taken just one Wyoming pronghorn. Stinks living in the shotgun zone in MI!

[Linked Image]
Send me a PM with e-mail address. Also, if interested, I have a 1948 Outdoor Life article on the 7x57 by O'Connor.
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
OK, here's the article. You may have to zoom a little to be able to read it easily (if your eyes are like mine). Saved the attachment from roundoak as .pdf in mydocuments. Did saveas in .jpeg to resave in uploadable format. Uploaded to photobucket then down to campfire. Didn't know if it would work or not.

Mickey

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: SCOTTYB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Thank you for posting that article. I remember it well. That article, along with the writings of Jack O'Connor, convinced me that I simply had to have a 7x57. And eventually I aquired (in 1979 or '80 -can't remember exactly now) a M77 tang safety. It has been a great rifle over the years and I have had some memorable hunts with it and have taken some of the best of my (modest) trophies with it. I keep toying with the idea of having the stock trimmed and re-checkered and refinished but then I look at it and see all the old scratches and scars and remember the hunts and the places and the people I shared hunts with and the idea of messing with it fades away. Also afraid I might mess with the good luck it has brought me.

As for the 7x57 cartridge itself, there is little to say that hasn't been said already. It just plain works. No muss, no fuss, 175 grain, 160 grain, 140 grain. Doesn't even matter much. It just works. And the nostalgia and cool factor...
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
And here's the one by O'Connor.....
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gunplummer Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
I have a 7x57 on a Type 99 Arisaka action, and I have it a long time. Over the years I bought and sold a lot of rifles, but the rifles that have been good to me I hang onto. It works well on those "medium" actions that were mentioned. .308 cased cartridges are difficult to get to feed properly and you do not have to mill the receiver as with the longer cased cartridges. I am lucky with the barrel I used (surplus 7x57 Mauser carbine)as it shoots equally well with 140 Gr. or 175 Gr. bullets. I always keep a box loaded up just in case I am heading into rough cover where I need a short fast handling gun.
Posted By: 303carbine Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/21/10
Originally Posted by n2daddy
Aside from the lack of factory ammo, what's not to like. Super effective on the business end, super mild on the shooter end. Shoots the full range of .284 bullets effectively, including the larger ones. Efficient and effective, been around forever. It totally deserves a revival. Unfortunately it falls between the 7-08 and 280. A true classic. I love the quote from the Nosler manual "The 7X57 is the archetype for modern rounds" well stated!! Wish it was chambered in a modern rifle these days.

I have a 7x57 in a Remington 700 Mountain rifle, that's about as modern as it gets. I bagged a nice blacktail with it just last season at 125 yards, one 139 grain Hornady through and through and the steaks are in the freezer. I love the 7x57, it's very under appreciated. My chronograph reads 2830 fps with the 139-140 grain bullet weights.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
shootem,

You the man! Thanks for posting the two articles.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
shootem,
Way to go!!! Just got to figure out how to print those for some late night reading!
Thanks very much.
shootem or others,
How can I print these two articles?
Thanks
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
roundoak emailed them to me as pdf files. Dang if I can figure out how to get them here in that file format so you can print them. Like I said before I had to resave them as jpeg's in order to pass them thru photobucket and post them here as images. Only way my peabrain can figure is to pass them around as email attachments. I don't know if files can be accessed thru a webpage or not. Anybody else know?? If that could happen then whoever has the page could just post the webpage link here. Oooooo. That strained my head.
Posted By: prostrate8 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Thanks for posting those excellent articles. I haven't bought a gun rag in quite some time, but I can't recall reading many articles that were that well put together (but I might be biased by being enamored by the sweet little 7).
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Much as I like O'connor, his comment that the 7x57 was the daddy of the '06 sounds like pure BS & writers' tales of mystery & imagination.

Though I'm not a historian, the only thing the 7x57 & the '06 have in common is that they are both bottleneck cases, rimless & share the same casehead diameter............same as lots if others.

MM
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Shootem thanks for posting....I have both articles here somewhere...always a great read. wink
I believe JOC's comments were based on at least one battle in Cuba (1898) where the Spanish snipers beat up Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders with their 7x57's. After that, the call went out for a new military cartridge which ultimately became the 30-06.
I believe JOC's comments were based on at least one battle in Cuba (1898) where the Spanish snipers beat up Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders with their 7x57's. After that, the call went out for a new military cartridge which ultimately became the 30-06.

This is correct and when you put the two cartridges side by side, the .30/06 is very like a scaled up version.

JW
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Also, I have heard it opined the 223 is a smaller version and the big 50 cal. is a larger version. Les
I can't quote scripture and verse but all I've read about the events leading up to the .30 Gov't indicate the 7/57 was the inspiration. Effective fire leveled on TR's troops at San Juan certainly played a role.

BTW the above articles were provided courtesy of roundoak. I just converted them.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10

With a swirly stock and targets knobs I'm sure...

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
The 7x57 was not only the inspiration for the .30-06, but the various Mauser actions introduced in the 1890's (especially the 98) were the inspiration for the 1903 Springield. In fact the U.S. had to pay a royalty to the Mauser company because the 1903 was such an unsubtle knock-off of the 98. (The U.S. didn't want to, but an international court decided in favor of Mauser's patents.)

Then, when the Germans started using spitzer (German for "pointed") bullets in the 8x57 the U.S. military recalled all their 1903's then in service, took off the barrels and shortened and rechambered them for a new pointed-bullet .30-06 load. This is why almost all 1903 Springfield barrels actually measure a little less than 24".

The reason was that original loading for the .30-06 was a 220-grain roundnose that required a very long throat. The switch to a much lighter spitzer required a shorter throat. The original chambering and load are often called the .30-03, and the .30-06 actually got its common name when the new, spitzer-bullet round was introduced.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

With a swirly stock and targets knobs I'm sure...

It is just something wrong when a company uses a throat lozenge for a bolt knob! whistle
Roundoak,
Thanks for digging out those 2 articles and getting them to shootem. Now if I could only figure out a way to print them.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
email the post with the articles to yourself, and print it off your email...
I think that'll work...

Ingwe
A couple of articles created quite a bit interest. In addition, to the two articles posted here is a list of 7x57 articles in my files.

2008 April-May Handloader #252 - John Haviland

2007 April-May Handloader #246 - John Barsness

2001 June-July Handloader #211 - Stan Trzoniec

2000 August-September Handloader #206 - John Barsness

1999 February American Rifleman - Edward A. Matunas

1991 September-October Rifle #137 - Ludwig Olson

1984 March Outdoor Life - Jim Carmichel

1974 Gun Digest #28 - Jack O'Connor

In addition, O'Connor wrote about the 7x57 in THE RIFLE BOOK and THE HUNTING RIFLE (my favorite description - Big Punch in Little Case)

I for one, would appreciate learning of other references.

Posted By: SSB Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
We have 4 7X57's in our family arsenal. 2 Ruger #1A's for my wife and I, A 700 Mountain Rifle and a WW1 era JP Sauer Mauser. The wife shoots Remington Factory 140's in hers for the guy asking about factory loads. They Chrono about 2600 and are sub inch in her rifle. Mine likes 150 partitions over H4350 for 2700. They are a pleasure....
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Much as I like O'connor, his comment that the 7x57 was the daddy of the '06 sounds like pure BS & writers' tales of mystery & imagination.

Though I'm not a historian, the only thing the 7x57 & the '06 have in common is that they are both bottleneck cases, rimless & share the same casehead diameter............same as lots if others.

MM

I guess Jim Carmichel was full of BS too. grin "America didn't catch up with the 7mm for 14 years, with the final development of the 30/06 in 1906. In fact, were it not for the 7mm Mauser, America's favorite son, the 30/06, might never have been created because the 7mm was the spiritual and physical father of the '06." March 1984 Outdoor Life

Perhaps JB or others could weigh in on the interpretation of the statements of these two men.
email the post with the articles to yourself, and print it off your email...
I think that'll work...

That works, just tried it. Print is kinda small so get out your bifocals.
Posted By: Brad Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
I had one 7x57. Great round but I'd just as soon have a 7-08 which is a true SA. However, in an action like the G33 I can't think of a more perfect round than the 7x57... it's a solid 50 fps faster than the 7-08 and we all know that's critical (grin).
And the truly amazing thing is that it only took Remington 100 years or so to come within 50fps of Mauser. What an improvement. grin
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Given the heavy recoil of the .30/03 with it's 220 grain bullet on soldiers using Model 1903 Springfield rifles the Army would have been wise to have simply adopted the 175 grain 7mm Mauser cartridge.

Only after the Army loaded it's then new thirty calibre cartridge with 150 grain bullets did the recoil became tolerable for the troops. That birthed the 30/06.

I bet that if we had adopted the 7mm Mauser cartridge there would have been no need for the 7.62 NATO or 5.56 NATO. We might still be using the 7x57mm in some loading as our standard rifle and machine gun round. Even after over a hundred years!
I've never fired a Springfield. But given the way the stock puts my trigger-hand thumb up my nose and the caress of the steel buttplate even at rest, I can't imagine firing 220 gr bullets rapid fire in a combat situation. That alone might be grounds for surrender.
In 1900 Senior Military Officers were the people who made these decisions. They were still concerned with the traditional threat of massed horse Cavalry charges on the Infantry. They assumed the need for a cartridge sufficient to drop horses. Apparently they viewed the 7mm Mauser insufficient. But they scaled it up from a 0.284 calibre bullet to a 0.308. With a 220 grain bullet compared to the Mauser's 175 grain. The cartridge case was scaled from the Mauser's 57mm to the .30/03's 63mm.

When the standard changer from the .30/03 too the .30/06 the case was shorted one millimeter.
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Actually in battle the recoil is a non issue. The extra weight of the rounds is. All of the extra size and weight for the grunt to carry would have more impact.

As an aside, when has high command ever had their pulse on the needs of the enlisted?

Randy
medicman,

I have to respectfully disagree. The "high command" isn't happy when field grade Officers. Platoon, Company, and Battalion Commanders report that their Soldiers can't qualify on the Ranges.

That the Germans Army switched to lighter pointed bullets for their standard cartridge was the official reason for the 30/06 with it's 150 grain spitzer bullet.

It was also an excuse for solving a problem of the U.S. Army Ordinance Corp creating a cartridge with more recoil than a Soldier can tolerate enough to be able to qualify with at the firing Ranges.
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/22/10
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
In 1900 Senior Military Officers were the people who made these decisions. They were still concerned with the traditional threat of massed horse Cavalry charges on the Infantry. They assumed the need for a cartridge sufficient to drop horses. Apparently they viewed the 7mm Mauser insufficient. But they scaled it up from a 0.284 calibre bullet to a 0.308. With a 220 grain bullet compared to the Mauser's 175 grain. The cartridge case was scaled from the Mauser's 57mm to the .30/03's 63mm.

When the standard changer from the .30/03 too the .30/06 the case was shorted one millimeter.

idahoguy101. Thanks for that post. I knew the 30-03 was a scaled up 7x57 and the 03 action was "copied" from the 98,(actually it was more the magazine configuration patents that were infringed from my understanding) after the outing to Cuba's San Juan Hill, but hadn't seen that reason before. I had understood that part of the reason was that the 30-40 had only been in production for a few years and there was all the tooling for the 30 cal barrels, with the 220gn bullet being a carry-over from the Krag as well.

Von Gruff.
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Use to carry a 60 in each hand and went for broke.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
I like the 7x57 a lot! Seem to have accumulated more than I actually need, but each rifle is "special". It has become my primary do-anything cartridge of choice. Last season I took my first wolf with one.
I have a Brno 22f carbine, a couple of Ruger #1's, and a couple of German combination guns in the rimmed version, a Merkel BBF and a Krieghoff Drilling. The shotgun barrels in the German guns are also chambered for a classic and capable round, the 16 ga. Like the 7x57, the 16 ga. is no longer popular, but is "just right" for many hunting tasks.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
VonGruff,

World War One changed nearly everything about modern warfare. After the war the Army Ordinance Corp wisely concieved of a semiautomatic Infantry rifle that shot a lighter cartridge with enough taper in the case for it to be reliable under trench warfare filth.

That was the original Garand rifle in .276 Pederson cartridge. The 276 Pederson was ballistically a 7mm Mauser with a bullet in the 120-140 grain range.

Army Chief of Staff Douglas McArthur vetoed the Army adopting the 276 Pederson cartridge and sent Garand back to redesign the rifle to use the in service 30/06.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
VonGruff,

If you want to take it enough further... After WWII the British begged us to adopt their new .280 British cartridge. Which the U.S.Army Ordinance refused to do insisting instead on the more powerful 7.62 NATO cartridge.

Decades later the U.S. Special Operations Command orders a new cartridge, the 6.8 SPC, due to their dissatisfaction with the performance of the weak standard 5.56 NATO cartridge.

The connection is that the 276 Pederson, the .280 British, and the 6.8 SPC cartridges are all ballistically alike. So the original modern smokeless army cartridge may still be the best. And the U.S. Army has been running circles around the obvious ballistic choice since 1898!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Jim Wilson wrote an article for the American Rifleman. No date listed.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Jim Wilson wrote an article for the American Rifleman. No date listed.

Found it - American Riflman November 2009

Thanks

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1944&cid=2
Finn also wrote 2 articles I can remember. The first was an historcal piece that features a pic of his father with a couple of Kenyan lions he took, in a Petersens special publication and the 2nd was a deer hunt in Texas with a new version (US) Rigby .275 which he reviewed.

JW
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Anybody out there that can help with copying that Jobson article?
I suppose I could just re-type it.
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Hey Whoop, PM me your email address and I'll send the pdf's to you. roundoak obviously has them too.
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Here's a reference for the two American Rifleman articles that Finn Aagaard wrote:

American Rifleman Nov, 1986
American Rifleman April, 1990

Here is part of what he wrote about the 7x57 in the 3rd Nosler Reloading Manual:

"After encountering it in war, both the United States and Great Britain conceded its superiority over their service cartridges at the time. As a result, the U.S.A. developed the .30-06, which is in effect the 7x57 enlarged to .30 caliber..."

So O'Connor, Aagaard and Carmichael all credit the 7x57 for inspiring the .30-06. And of course the courts decided that the Mauser inspired the Springfield rifle, since they awarded royalty duties to the Mauser company for patent infringement.
Interesting thing my graddad told me was when his dad was a commando during the Anglo-Boer war, the English could not figure out why so many troops get shot in the noggin...

The reason was great-grandad and the commando's aimed at the top little bit (knobby part) of the english pith-helmets, At any range that they would shoot pommies at the 7x57 bullet would drop not more than a few inches so you are always going to score a hit
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Another reference: Ross Seyfried in Guns & Ammo, Nov. 1991

His article begins thusly:

"Riflemen should be able to take advantage of this age of modern miracles, and we can. You can have a rifle and cartridge that was the choice of one of the most successful elephant hunters of all time. The same combination is lightweight, doesn't recoil or make much noise. It's also perfect for deer in the woods or sheep on the high mountain. If you act right now you can get one and 100 shells for less than $200.

This of course sounds like the work of a perverted used car salesman, but it happens to be the real truth. By buying a military 7mm Mauser rifle and the surplus ammo that is available for it you can have the foundation of W.D.M. Bell's Rigby elephant rifle...and almost eveything else."
Posted By: Tikka260 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Hmmm... I had a Ruger 77MkII in 7x57 once upon a time, and gave it up for a Sako 75 in 7-08. Now, the 7-08 works, no mistake about that..... and I'd never say anything against it...... but..... I am having a Tikka 695 put together with a 275 Rigby nomination in a LW 1:9 CM twist barrel and a McWoody stock etc. It may be a bit of a 'Tart' of a rifle but the calibre will be spot on.

Just something about the 7x57( 275 Rigby) that works in my head, and works on anything that it gets pointed at.

Best

Hello shootem,

I will be very grateful if you can send me the .pdf archives of the Jobson and O�Connor articles! I send you a PM with my e-mail address.
I have 2 7x57, an Original Sporting one made by DWM on a 1893 action. It is, as I said, an original sporting rifle, not a military reworked. Bought by my Greatgrandfather. It has commercial Proof Marks of the period. Still going strong! The other is an M98 Mauser (1935) with a Steyr Chilean contract military barrel, I bought mint with another twin barrel. It is now my main 7x57. I use and reload for them since 1974...
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Probably one of my most foolish ideas was to take a perfectly good m98 mauser, and have a custom 308 target rifle built. My oldest daughter has laid claim on it so all is not lost, but I wish I would have kept it original. Too late we get smart...
Randy
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Anyone shoot the 120gr TSX in their 7mm Mauser? Thoughts/comments?

I just had an FN JC Higgins (270Win) rebarelled by Bevan King in BC to 7x57 with one of his stainless bbls.

Posted By: VonGruff Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Not the tsx but the 120gn GS Custom HV and get 3235fps over 51gn BL-C2. Superb accuracy and the GS bullet is a beauty. That and the 160gn Woodleigh PP should see all situations covered for those that dont cast thier own and for that a cast 160gn with 65gn of soft cast onto the nose at 2415 is similar to the origional loading and works a treat.

[Linked Image]

Took this one at 145yds and three more of his friends out to 185yds with the cast softnose. All I need now inside 250yds
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
Posted By: ruger375 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/23/10
i really enjoyed the readings here.

so now i got a dilemma 6.5x55SE or 7x57 Mauser ....

a nightmare lol ....
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Originally Posted by ruger375
i really enjoyed the readings here.

so now i got a dilemma 6.5x55SE or 7x57 Mauser ....

a nightmare lol ....

Listen to the voices....buy both.
Posted By: shootem Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
In this case R375 the voices really are your friends. You need both.
Posted By: tomk Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Have a 7x57 1936 Mex throated short but haven't got around to running the Nosler 120s down it--should generate some frps...

a 98 small ring gets most of the attention....:)
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Thanks to "shootem", I have some great reading.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Great velocity and great looking gun. What is the story on the gun?
Posted By: sactoller Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Originally Posted by Tikka260
Hmmm... I had a Ruger 77MkII in 7x57 once upon a time, and gave it up for a Sako 75 in 7-08. Now, the 7-08 works, no mistake about that..... and I'd never say anything against it...... but..... I am having a Tikka 695 put together with a 275 Rigby nomination in a LW 1:9 CM twist barrel and a McWoody stock etc. It may be a bit of a 'Tart' of a rifle but the calibre will be spot on.

Just something about the 7x57( 275 Rigby) that works in my head, and works on anything that it gets pointed at.

Best

I should have my Ruger M77 back either tomorrow or Tuesday, stamped .275 Rigby...it will go in an Ultra lite Ruger stock.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Originally Posted by sactoller

I should have my Ruger M77 back either tomorrow or Tuesday, stamped .275 Rigby...it will go in an Ultra lite Ruger stock.

THAT needs to go to Africa.... wink

Ingwe
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
I have a lead on a Chilean 7x57 with vg to exc barrel and metal, a few dings in the stock, but I would probably restock. $275 seems like a good price to me.

Randy
Thank you shootem for the delivered files! Good reading!

Regards

PH
Hi, is very good deal! Jump on it!

This is my 7x57 all military (includiing stock and trigger) reworked! Shoot great!

Regards

PH

Attached picture PC030441r.JPG
Attached picture PC030442r.JPG
Attached picture PC030438r.JPG
Attached picture PC030435r.JPG
Posted By: prostrate8 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
Ohhh, that's pretty! Is that really the original military stock? The recess under the bolt handle certainly suggests so. Well done.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
PatagoniaHunter,

Your rifle is a thing of beauty. May your daughters be so lovely.
Posted By: medicman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
And may she see the beauty in a wwell crafted rifle such as yours.
Randy
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 05/24/10
very nice!
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
Like Lazarus, this one has come out of the tomb. Aside from some old pictures of Ingwe, there are a couple of articles that might be of interest. Just put on your specs; the print is a bit small.

RM
Posted By: beretzs Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
Thanks for bringing that back to the top!
Posted By: Slavek Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
.....or more modern 7x64mm which is Euro performance comparable to .270 Winchester or .280. If anyone likes similar caliber to 7x57 Strum & Ruger recently made a run of classic looking rifles chambered for .275 Rigby. The only downside they're a little on heavy side by modern standards.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
Originally Posted by RevMike
Like Lazarus, this one has come out of the tomb.

Old Laz was only in the tomb 3 days, not 3710 days. smile
Dat’s true!! laugh
Posted By: bluefish Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
My wife's 7x57 cz 550 is in the process of a major facelift and is down to 7 lbs., 3 ounces so far. Perhaps someone would post pics for me?
Posted By: wahoo Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/20/20
7x57 max length 3.065. 280 3.33 ok the difference isn't worth making another action. the good news is which ever you choose will work well.

can't lose!
Even the old cobbled-together ones can still shoot.

I bought this M1909 a couple of years ago to use as a rough weather rifle, since it was in a B&C Carbelite stock, but the barrel was way too big (almost had a target profile), so I sent everything off to a fellow who had the action hardened and turned down the barrel using a Rigby profile with the old step (you can see it in the closeup), finished at .540 inches at the muzzle (24 inches). It took almost a pound off the entire rifle, bringing it to 7lbs, 2oz on the scale. I put an old 3-9 VXII on it, mounted in old-fashioned Weaver tip-off rings and Weaver base. The entire outfit comes in us right at 8lbs, and the balance is perfect. Not bad for an old, heavy military action.

I plan to use this rifle on pigs, so loaded up some 175-gr Hornady Interlocks (RN) that I got a while back from Rocky Mountain Reloading. I loaded six three-shot groups, starting at 41.0 grains of IMR4350 up 43.5 grains, a half-grain at a time. Brass was Prvi, primers were WLR, and the CBTO was 2.635 inches, .010 off the lands. I didn't chronograph them at the range today but estimate that the first load was running at about 2400 fps and the last was about 2500. The first three-shot group measured just over 1.5 inches and the last was .416. I suppose I could tweak powder charge and seating depth of the last one a bit, but I'm not consistent enough off the bench for it to make any difference whatsoever. This load will be perfect for anything under 200 yards, and since just about everything I shoot is way inside of that (closer to inside 75) I think this will do.

Sorry for the crappy smartphone pictures. I ought to learn to use my wife's camera.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/21/20
That should do nicely, Rev.
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/28/20
RevMike, that is a fine example of a campfire rifle right there.

I just got an Edge stock in for my 1981 M70 fwt 7x57. Tuned trigger, Meopta 6x42 #4 in Conetrol rings. Shooting 140gr TTSXs nicely right around 2,800fps and zeroed at 200yds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/28/20
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I just had an FN JC Higgins (270Win) rebarelled by Bevan King in BC to 7x57 with one of his stainless bbls.

I played a little bit with the 120 and 140 gr. TSX bullets but never got good accuracy from then in three different rifles. I got sidetracked when I scored a large pile of 150 gr. Partitions and never got back to the TSX bullets. I'll probably play wit them sometime but for now I'll stick with what's working for me. It just could be my rifles just don't like those bullets. YMMV.

Paul B.
Posted By: kowalski Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by medicman
I have a lead on a Chilean 7x57 with vg to exc barrel and metal, a few dings in the stock, but I would probably restock. $275 seems like a good price to me.

Randy

Anyone have experience reloading for small ring 1895 mausers?

im planning on using lead free because of cal laws, will most likely be using a lighter weight Barnes ttsx. Just not sure where to start, guessing I should stay away from the max loads that Barnes has posted in their site.
Posted By: z1r Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
This Barnes data is listed at 51K psi. Good to go for your 95. https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/7X57mmMauserWeb.pdf
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
I just got an Edge stock in for my 1981 M70 fwt 7x57. Tuned trigger, Meopta 6x42 #4 in Conetrol rings. Shooting 140gr TTSXs nicely right around 2,800fps and zeroed at 200yds.

I like that! What's it weigh?
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Been trying to resist this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871454851
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Resistance is futile. Jump on it!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
To echo many of these posts, some cartridges have a magic earned by longevity, classic rifles, and solid performance for hunting. 7 x 57, 30-06, .270 Win, .30-30, .300 Savage, and many more. It's the history, dripping from every box of cartridges and every rifle owned by our ancestors and others from a different time when hunters bought one or two good rifles and used them for a lifetime.
I've seen that one as well. Wonder what it weighs.
I've seen that one as well. Wonder what it weighs.

You need that one Mike!
I have a Boddington edition - same rifle only with a 22" barrel. I'm gonna leave this one for you.
Posted By: las Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
My first and only (to date) shoot-for-group Fed 140 with my new/used Win70XTR. Full length re-bedded from recoil lug forward. I pulled #9 and knew it. If this wasn't just luck, I may come to like it! smile

Have yet to try the 175s that came with it.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by las
My first and only (to date) shoot-for-group Fed 140 with my new/used Win70XTR. Full length re-bedded from recoil lug forward. I pulled #9 and knew it. If this wasn't just luck, I may come to like it! smile

Have yet to try the 175s that came with it.

My M70 XTR Featherweight shoots like that all the time. At least when I do my part.
Paul B.
I have a Boddington edition - same rifle only with a 22" barrel. I'm gonna leave this one for you.

The 24 inch is skookum! balances the rifle out perfectly...

just sayin....
I REALLY want to like the Ruger #1, but each and every one I've bought hasn't stayed around long enough to justify the purchase.

That walnut though.....
It has some nice streaks, for sure. I think Ingwe should pick it up to match his 24” Hawkeye African. What’s $1600?

I’m holding out for something else - not sure what yet, but I’ll either know it when I see it or have it made. Or I’ll just shoot more.

There is a 7x57 on a small ring Kurz on GI. I’m sure you’ve seen it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by ingwe

Resistance is futile. Jump on it!

Man, that’s a beauty....
Mike, if it's the Dubber rifle, yes.

Lacks bottom metal however. A custom rifle needs custom bottom metal to my eye.

That being said, I verified weight with Dubber.

7lb 6oz scoped.
It helps cut down the weight, though. Pretty wood and engraving.
Indeed.
According to Dubber the magazine is 3 1/4" - the follower is 3"
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/30/20
According to Dubber the magazine is 3 1/4" - the follower is 3"

Educate me: Does that mean that, depending on leade, of course, a round could be loaded to 3.25 and still function? Or would it be limited to follower length?
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/31/20
Very cool chambering with a TON of history. It always kills better than I expect with very mild recoil. Shoots 140 grain accubonds into 1/2 inch group with a Rem 700 action and a SS super match Pac Nor barrel. Also has a B&C Ti stock on it. Love it!
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 07/31/20
Rev, I inquired about the OAL of the mag box.

Response;

"I loaded the magazine with 4 7X57 Mauser...new Sellier & Bellot 173 grain SPCE cartridges, and they measure exactly 3" in length.  I also loaded 4 Winchester 7mm 175 Grain Soft Point cartridges that measure 3 1/16" in length and they also operate properly."
Posted By: RGK Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/01/20
Sold this one (a Boddington Leopard) awhile back to a fellow 'Fire member. Still wondering why I did that...
Bob

Other side looks great, too
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by Jwood1284

I like that! What's it weigh?

7lb-12oz
Just received my dream rifle after a 10+year search.

7x57R - Merkel Stalking Rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/08/20
You might as well just sell all your other guns now....
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/08/20
What a beauty! I agree with Ingwe. I've been toying with the idea of heading in that direction myself. Where I do 99% of my hunting, I have yet to need another round faster than I could load a single shot. As a matter of fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed more than the round in the chamber. Of course, functionally it doesn't make any difference, but that rifle has, as Ingwe likes to say, panache. And the ibex and chamois add to it. Now you just need to make a trip to harvest what you already have an engraved record of.
Posted By: RGK Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
You might as well just sell all your other guns now....

Been thinking about that...except I'd have to get a .270...
Bob
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/09/20
Hey Rev,

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875703441
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/09/20
On sale! You gonna buy it?
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/09/20
It's a value at that price.

Thinking on it.

Sako, congrats on the rifle. It's a beauty.
Posted By: Joe Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/09/20
Sako, I have a friend that's had one four years and he said he has worked for months on end trying to get bolt actions to shoot as well as the Merkel did out of the box. He claims once one has a K3 everything else can be sold. grin
Posted By: RevMike Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/10/20
It's a value at that price.

Thinking on it.

Sako, congrats on the rifle. It's a beauty.

It's a nice rifle, but if it's built to shoot factory 175s, in my mind that's a bit counterproductive for something that falls into the light mountain category. You ought to take one of those nice M70s you already have and spend about the same (+/-) and build something similar. You already have a nice .280 that shoots extremely well; maybe just have a stock carved for it and then you'd have the best of both worlds: nice walnut to look at and use when the weather's good, and a bedded Bridges synthetic to bang around the rocks in the snow and rain. Just a thought.

And before you say it, I already know: "Physician, heal thyself." laugh
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who likes the 7 x 57? - 08/13/20
Rev, that .280 has prevented me from buying a few rifles.

But I will add a full custom 7X57 to the stable when I find the right one.
© 24hourcampfire