Home
I've been asked this question a bunch, pick one caliber, bigger than 22 but no magnums, no thrills chills, cooked up loads, little recoil and very accurate and could a deer at 200 yards??? Out of the box, no custom jobs here, just plain jane, what would be you choice and why???

6mm Rem Just because it works.
250 Savage, Accurate, mild, and gets the job done.
243/6mm/250-3000 wiould all work well.
[Linked Image]
Another "aye" vote for the good old .270 Win.
25-06
I second the 25-06
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
25-06

Ahhh the .270 before it ate its wheaties smile
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
[Linked Image]

Ditto.....no explanation required.....just 80+ years of empirical data.
The tribe has spoken.......270 cool
25-06.
25-06
The neutered .270 is getting quite a few votes of confidence.
25 (300 yards too)
25-06
Another 25 vote. Uh-oh Podunk, better make a 270 comment! Hurry man! grin
200 yards and under?

257 Roberts.

I 'spose a 270 might work as well.
Im good now Sam just did grin
If your trying to keep the recoil down, the 243, 6mm or 250 savage is the way to go
250 Savage.
6x55 Swede
6.5x55. Elegantly understated and just plain kills. No roar, no recoil, inherent accuracy out the wazoo.
I don't worry about the cartridge so much as I worry about the chosen deer to show predictably at 200 yards..... cry
25-06
[Linked Image]

Now...THATS skank-fu......! eek

grin
Ingwe
Now you KNOW it has to be the 25-06.
Sorry, shoulda said .275 Rigby smile
Dats an elephant gun! shocked...My vote is for the .243...since I can't vote for .22 centerfires.... frown

Ingwe
First vote for a short action I believe..
if recoil is an issue at all, the 243 would get my vote, shooting any decent 95/100gr bullet.
Nope...I think Im about the fourth...

6mm/243/250 Sav beat me to it...

But hey, who cares??? Just so long as the .270 mud puddle is stirred... whistle

grin
Ingwe
Never shot a deer with one, but a 6PPC or 6 BR looks 200 yard capable; screw it, a 6-250!

I know one dude who pegged one through the melon at 400 paces with his faster twisted BR.....
Youre right just saw the 6mm and 250 savage votes, I was too busy dinging the 25-06. Im still happy if a .270 imitater wins:)
Actually the 25-06 and the .270 are both good choices....

But you guys already knew that.... wink

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Actually the 25-06 and the .270 are both good choices....

But you guys already knew that.... wink

Ingwe

That's one of the things I love about you. Not everybody can afford a 25-06, and you always try to make the 270 guys feel normal.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
and you always try to make the 270 guys feel normal.

Pat....they are already "challenged" enough...and they don't handle pity well......

grin
Ingwe
You guys... we understand that everyone cant have good sense, if not there wouldnt be any .270s to be had. Thanks for liking the other stuff so the good stuff stays available.
Nobody mentioned a .260....

I'll bet it would kill deer...

Ingwe
This really does suck without 22's....
No kidding.....

How about that new 45 gr. sp in a .204 Dober was asking about??

Thats not a .22..... whistle

Ingwe
Am more interested in this 33 gr. TSX talk; and the 204.
Im surprised there havent been more representatives of the .243 crowd either.
Originally Posted by HawkI

Wouldnt that be skookum, especially for up close DRT shooting in populated areas.... grin

Ingwe
Maybe I could land some "bowhunting" ground...IF we actually had a rifle season here.
My pard has a super-light 84M Varmint. I'm wondering too about the 204 and the 45 Horn....but with pigs.
If you could land some bowhunting ground, I would think a 33 gr. TSX would drill a splendid "pilot" hole for an arrow...

I'm just sayin..... whistle

Ingwe
At this stage, for deer, where does one go for under .224 bores?

Sure ain't here with our antlerless rifle season.

Pigs....
Nobody mentioned a .260....

I'll bet it would kill deer...

Ingwe

It probably would but a 257 Roberts does it with such more Class, or so I've been told.....(grin)
'nother vote for the Bob...
there are a lot of good picks between the 6mm and 6.5 mm realm..

my first pick is the 260 Rem....but like the 6mm Rem, the 257 Roberts, 250 Savage...all of these cartridges are not only good to 200 yds, but are fine out to 400 yds in the hands of a good rifleman..

I'd tend to lean toward short action myself..
Unless things have changed recently, Texas law says that "centerfires" are legal for whitetails.
Call me boring, but I'm a sucker for the 270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57, and 280 Remington.
.375 Ruger. Don't have a belt so it's not a magnum. eek
I would think a .300Savage with corlokt or nbt would be pretty efficient at that range and under.
7-08
.257 Bob...6.5x55....250 Savage....6.5x57....7x57.....25-06
Originally Posted by Dan360
Call me boring, but I'm a sucker for the 270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57, and 280 Remington.

That about sums it up........next!
If you're looking for a light recoiling, reliable deer killer up to 200 yards, while the .270 Winchester is undeniably a performer and always will be, there are better options specifically regarding the recoil department.

A .243 or a .250 Savage gets my vote for sure given the parameters in the OP's post...
agreed the 270 is wonderful, then if your recoil sensitive a .243, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, 260 rem.

I have both 270 and Roberts, the 270 usually stays home.

I cannot remember who made this comment maybe John Barnes...the 243 is more Varmint-Deer and the 257 roberts is more Deer-Varmint or something to that effect. If you reload the Roberts all the way.
Best caliber to 200 yards...why every one knows it's "a plasma rifle in the 40 megawatt range", of course. Otherwise the others listed (especially the 6.5 Swede) will do. Regards, Homesteader.
Pick your favorite bore diameter from .224" to .35", pick your favorite parent case from the .308/.30-06, x55/x57Mauser, and .250/.300 Savage options, load a good bullet, and you're done.

This schit, ain't hard... if you don't make it that way.
three words:

Tree Oh Ate.

Bob
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't worry about the cartridge so much as I worry about the chosen deer to show predictably at 200 yards..... cry

There's that too..... If you put on your camo undershorts before you go out you're gonna have a good day. smile
.308 Marlin Express. Damn accurate out of the box and fun to carry and shoot. Deadly on deer at 200 yards plus.

Bob
.243 "cause it meets all the OP requirements & it just works.

Lots of good factory ammunition available now, for those who don't handload. Take your pick from the plain to the premiums.

Paul.
Originally Posted by wvhunter
I've been asked this question a bunch, pick one caliber, bigger than 22 but no magnums, no thrills chills, cooked up loads, little recoil and very accurate and could a deer at 200 yards??? Out of the box, no custom jobs here, just plain jane, what would be you choice and why???

257 Bob
A VERY BIG spectrum to choose from. But since you mentioned "little recoil" I'd say....

30-30 (can be VERY accurate)
.257 bob
7-08
to name a few

The rifle you choose would be more important. If you asked me to pick only one it would be a 7mm-08 or .308 as there are tons of factory rifles chambered in these two.

Although, right now I'm in the market for a Ruger Ultra Light in .257 Roberts.. smile

CLB
A 6mm would seem to fit your criteria very nicely. Low recoil, lower noise level, should be easy to find an out of the box shooter.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
.243 "cause it meets all the OP requirements & it just works.

Lots of good factory ammunition available now, for those who don't handload. Take your pick from the plain to the premiums.

Paul.

+ one..... but I'd rather run my .270.....
Originally Posted by OldRooster

There's that too..... If you put on your camo undershorts before you go out you're gonna have a good day. smile

LOL! grin
There's the 7-08 and then there's the rest.
The first cartridge that popped into my head with your question was .243 Winchester.

In truth, there are loads that could fit your criteria.
6.5x55
30-30
257 Roberts
25-06
.260 Remington
... and on... and on...
6.8mm SPC II or a .25-35
one more for the 6.5 x 55 swede, it's just fun
The question was what small caliber to use- not what is your favorite chambering. Who thinks a thirty cal or even a 270 is small for deer? To the OP I have the 6mm, 260 and 270 plus others and I believe the 6mm (or similar .243) is a very apt response if looking for a "small' meaning not big, meaning very low recoiling yet effective, deer round out to 200+ yds. Tons of good bullets for them and the more I use other chamberings the less I see the need to.
Lightweight .257 'bob...classy, effective and easy to use well.

Johnny $
25-06

...and got fat.

Well, I'd vote .25-06, but since the range is limited to 200yds, it's complete overkill. So my vote is:
[Linked Image]
6BR,6mm,260,7-08
6.5x55
Waders gets and A+ for showing all the work on this homework assignment.

- Oh I vote 7-08

Originally Posted by Waders
25-06

...and got fat.

Well, I'd vote .25-06, but since the range is limited to 200yds, it's complete overkill. So my vote is:
[Linked Image]
I'd have to agree. But he didn't tell us about the rifle that shot that sweet group.
I'd have to agree. But he didn't tell us about the rifle that shot that sweet group.

A completely factory Rem 722 with a Leupy Fixed 4x scope.
ruger #1A in 7x57
at 200 yds, I could reliably kill deer with a 22 Hornet.

This thread is nonsense.
Originally Posted by kcm270

This thread is nonsense.

Good for you. Glad you are so much smarter than the rest of us. Perhaps you should find another forum, more apropos for your superior intelligence.
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by kcm270

This thread is nonsense.

Good for you. Glad you are so much smarter thatn the rest of us. Perhaps you should find another forum, more apropos for your superior intelligence.

Ditto that. What an arrogant SOB.
Originally Posted by Waders

A completely factory Rem 722 with a Leupy Fixed 4x scope.

It would seem to be a keeper....
.25-06 Not far behind my .257 Weatherby but you said no mags.
This question practically screams "Swede"! Accurate, light -recoiling, the 6.5 X 55 is a beautiful thing.
If I could find a good bolt gun for it, the 6.8mm SPC would seem to fit your bill. Very mild recoil and 200yrds is about it limit for deer hunting.

The sad point is that I only see it on the AR type rifle and now Ruger is making their ranch rifle in it also. But I would want a bolt gun. But if you are happy with a semi auto the 6.8 SPC seems like just the ticket.
.250 Savage
Either 6.5x55 or 7x57 are my picks, though both work well way beyond 200 yards. More power is not needed for deer. Talk about empirical evidence, the 7x57 has been working like a champ since 1892 (IIRC). That's 118 years!
Originally Posted by Whelenman
6mm Rem Just because it works.

That or a 243 Win, same reason.
No votes for the .308?

Originally Posted by SuperCub
No votes for the .308?

308 ain't small.
Originally Posted by HawkI

Wouldnt that be skookum, especially for up close DRT shooting in populated areas.... grin

Ingwe

The 33 grain TSX will WAY OVERPENETRATE on deer.

BMT
Originally Posted by kenjs1
The question was what small caliber to use- not what is your favorite chambering. Who thinks a thirty cal or even a 270 is small for deer? To the OP I have the 6mm, 260 and 270 plus others and I believe the 6mm (or similar .243) is a very apt response if looking for a "small' meaning not big, meaning very low recoiling yet effective, deer round out to 200+ yds. Tons of good bullets for them and the more I use other chamberings the less I see the need to.

Well of course the typical 270win loony will always overlook any and all stipulations that would exclude it.grin

With that said the only choice would be 6mmREM if ya reload or 243win if ya don't.smile
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by SuperCub
No votes for the .308?

308 ain't small.

OP didn't specify "small".
Originally Posted by wvhunter

As much as I like some of the mentioned cartridges in this thread (270Win, 257Rob, 7x57. I own them), I think the 308 with a strong lightweight bullet would be a good choice as well.

A swede or 260 is just about perfection for this IMO. I`d let the rifle decide which chambering.
The title of the thread is " Best Small Caliber Deer Rifle at 200 yards"
The 6.8mm SPC is a great idea, but...

I'd vote Ruger Ultralight .270, with a 6X Leupold, loaded with Remington Managed Recoil. Pop-Nudge-Flop.

But if a deer shows up at like 205 yards: you could perform a Select Load Drill, slip a full-power 130 in and be confident you could make the shot! grin
'Nother vote for the .257 Roberts, in a Ruger Ultra light or Kimber Montana.

My present scoped 200/300 yard deer rifle is a Ruger Compact in 7mm-08.

Seems like most of the time anymore, I hunt short range deer with an old (1936) Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Always figured the 270 and 25-06 were more for open range deer hunting, like Eastern Oregon.

Virgil B.
The title of the thread is " Best Small Caliber Deer Rifle at 200 yards"

So it does. I stand corrected. smile

For 200 yard Deer shots, my best choices would be, a 300 Savage, a 7x57 and a 7-08.
Bullet choice is more important than caliber. I'd go with Nosler Partitions for all of the above rifles.
YMMV however.
6.5X55mm.....Why?..... the "numbers" say that sighted in at 2.5" high at 100 yards is dead on at 200 yards at around 2100fps and 1500ft lbs. using a 140 grain factory load.

My only experience with this caliber is under 100 yards, and have had excellent results.
243 win, 6mm rem, 250 savage, 7mm-08. 257 roberts and 6.5 swede should work too I would think.
7-08
30-30 or 7.62x39
250 savage
Originally Posted by garyb11s
6.5X55mm.....Why?..... the "numbers" say that sighted in at 2.5" high at 100 yards is dead on at 200 yards at around 2100fps and 1500ft lbs. using a 140 grain factory load.

My only experience with this caliber is under 100 yards, and have had excellent results.

It's a humdinger at 200 with at 140 gr. Hornady or Sierra.
Of the factory rounds 260/6.5 Swede is an easy choice. But they're good for quite a bit further than 200 yards. For rounds closer to a 200 yard max, since I like specialty pistols I would go with an XP-100 in 6.5mmBR or a 14" Contender in 7x30 Waters.
So, where does small caliber end and medium caliber begin?

Ditto.....no explanation required.....just 80+ years of empirical data.

Didn't know you were that old.
7x57mm w/a 175 gn speer gs and 49 gns of imr-4350 gets it done in spades for me.
Damn that old 09 argentine is sweet.
Gunner
250 Savage.
My son and I typically hunt mule deer with his 6mm Rem and my .25-06 Rem. They're both easy-shooting, accurate and deadly. No muss, no fuss, just fill the tags.
Originally Posted by doubletap

I tend to think the split is somewhere between 6.5mm and 7/mm. 6.5mm and below being "small" and 7mm and above being "medium."
25 caliber
Whers the .270 fall then?
Short
At 700 yards maybe.... I was asking the poster that said 6.5mm and under is small and 7 mm and over is medium.

The true 7mm...
.250 Savage
225 yards and under 257 Roberts, 30-30
225 and beyond 270,30-06
Originally Posted by Brad

The true 7mm...

Now we're clear.
What a question. There is more small calibers that are excellant 200 yarders for deer than you can imagine.But the 243 is probably the most popular with its mild recoil for beginners to prevent the flinch factor from developing.
I have a 223AI, 243AI, 25-284, and 25-06AI in my safe that I would consider to be a "small caliber deer rifle". I consider my .277's and .284's as big game rifles.

Out of my four "small caliber deer rifles", I'll have to say that my 25-284 would get the nod, if I just kept one.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by doubletap

I tend to think the split is somewhere between 6.5mm and 7/mm. 6.5mm and below being "small" and 7mm and above being "medium."

I would put the change between 25 and 6.5. There is a large jump in max. bullet weight there-120 to 160. I think a cartridge that can use a 160 grain bullet is a medium deer+ cartridge.

Bruce
I use a 7x57 or a 7x08 with 120's or 140's with no issues. Low recoil and kills them dead.
I vote for the .243 Improved - 6mm Rem. No stopping at 200 either.
CMG, I gotta say, I am with you on this. MY pick is the 6mm Remington, as well.

The .243 is a great cartridge and is as common as dirt.I can't help having an aversion to hunting with the same thing everyone else under the sun has, though.

I love the .257 Roberts, but since it is more or less at it's best with a 100 grain bullet, I can't see any reason not to shoot a skinnier bullet that weighs the same.
END POST !

223 Rigby Improved, you all forgot this one !

Since you mentioned "out of the box" rifles, I'll say 25-06.

Why? you ask. 200 yards ain't that big of a deal so most will get the job done. The 25-06 with 120's is pretty darn good!

cartridges of .25 cal are a minimum standard in my mind for general use.

For me, I'll be running a 6.5-06 as my small cartridge option.

CLB
"I love the .257 Roberts, but since it is more or less at it's best with a 100 grain bullet"

CT: I will quibble with that ballistic gack, by adding my own. grin

Given a 200yd max, I'll take a 117gr RN bullet from the Bob over any 6mm.
SouthTexas,
Point taken, friend.
CT
Throw my vote on the .257 roberts. 120 grain partitions, 43 grains of H414. One of my favorite recipes for making things dead.

When I was doing a lot of range days with the local hunters ed classes, the small kids especially seemed to handle the .257 with remington factory 117 grain roundnose ammo better than they did the .243 with factory 100 grain stuff. Same brands of rifles so I don't think weight was a factor. I think the lower pressure, thus less sharp "boom", affected them less.

Tom
The Grand Poobah has spoken Gents. Ingwe, 243 is properly spelled
two seventy winchester. Around here anyway!
"I've been asked this question a bunch, pick one caliber, bigger than 22 but no magnums, no thrills chills, cooked up loads, little recoil and very accurate and could a deer at 200 yards??? Out of the box, no custom jobs here, just plain jane, what would be you choice and why???"

I am really surprized the 30/30 did not come up more often in this. Those Leverevolution 160 gr. FTX's fly pretty flat and should do the damage to your 200yd and in specs. They shoot well out of both my Marlin 336 and my Winchester 94. Pick up a handy and accurate Marlin 336 and go hunt. Plain old 30/30's have been killing deer inside those specs and beyond for over 100 years.

Not a levergun guy? Then the standard .6mm/.243, .257, .260, and of course the .275 Rigby would all work with factory ammo and in any good bolt action.
Probably the 243, but 257 gets my vote! My .02 worth!
250-3000
.257 Roberts
.257 Roberts!
Maybe not so small.. But I'd say don't forget the. 35 Rem...Lite recoil, good factory ammo. Slays deer with no fuss.
Tree- o- eight WIN.
Tom, I know you're a big guy, but how do you figure .308 as a small calibre ?

To the OP, I take the .243 as perfectly suited "to my needs", in this scenario.

Paul.
Bullets matter far more than headstamps...........

No question about it...got to be the .243 Win. with 90 or 100 gr. bullets. My wife has even killed elk with 105 gr. Speers in her .243.
The 85X in a 243,is simply a MONSTER...........
Going to load some TSX in that weight soon for a 6mm Rem I've got.

Any good starting points you might have to share Larry? The gun has always been partial to h4350.

Bill
Originally Posted by tx270
Going to load some TSX in that weight soon for a 6mm Rem I've got.

Any good starting points you might have to share Larry? The gun has always been partial to h4350.

Bill

laugh

Paul

We shot the 85 TSX out of my wife's .243, the season before last. As noted on the last page, we opted for the 95 grain Fusions last year.

We are "meat hunters" only (broadside boiler room only) & the only concern we had with the TSX was the lack of a decent blood trail. My wife will not shoot bone, it's just how she was bought up, so we opted for the Fusions last year, particularly as there was no, or very little snow, to make trailing a little easier "on me" !!

Paul.
6.5x55
7/08
7x57
In 243AI and 6mm,I consider the 85/87's a place to start looking at '19/'22,as opposed to '15............

260 Rem.
At least it's the 308 necked in the right direction. Scenar's make it viable,but the .243" 105A-Max rates building a rifle around and is cheaper to boot............
The one you can hit something with at 200 would get my vote.
Wanna get "lucky"?

Practice..............
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
At least it's the 308 necked in the right direction. Scenar's make it viable,but the .243" 105A-Max rates building a rifle around and is cheaper to boot............

Agreed, but you could also buy an "off the shelf", fast twisted, to get the same results. This would probably save enough for decent glass, over a "roll your own".

Paul.
The 105 shines brightly in a Remmie Factory tube.

Nawwwwwww...brighter than that.........
Cheers, what's it twisted at ?

My wife's got a Savage with 1:9.25".

Shoots 85 TSX, 95 Fusions & 100 grain Partitions really well, under a minute for me & "minute of deer" for her. Have not tried to 105's.

Paul.
What's a .243 700 factory tube twisted

Dober
9 and a CH............

My 1-10" 6mmAI will handle the 105,but 9" is more better...........
Thx

Bettin they don't use the term CH when sitting in board meetings 4 some reason or another..grin

Dober
I've not had the 1/10 on my 6/06 take any liking at all with the 105-107's or any of the heavier Burgers. It's flirted with liking the 105 AM but when it comes down to it it just won't fly in it.

Dober
Dober, is it because of the extra length of the Bergers ?

Paul.
9" is where it's at and I'd never build a 6mm that wasn't...irregardless of it's capacity.

The 10" Shilen was a used score I couldn't pass,due to pricing..........
Length determines minimum twist rate...not weight.............
Roger that, but the Bergers are longer, right ?

I've no experience with them.

Paul.
Roger the length(and the weight too).

The 105's terminal affects,slams the door on them.............
When I do a retube on it it'll be 9 as well. Any chance you've tried the 90 Scenars?

Dober
I've not 90'd and likely won't..............
Originally Posted by pick
If I could find a good bolt gun for it, the 6.8mm SPC would seem to fit your bill. Very mild recoil and 200yrds is about it limit for deer hunting.

The sad point is that I only see it on the AR type rifle and now Ruger is making their ranch rifle in it also. But I would want a bolt gun. But if you are happy with a semi auto the 6.8 SPC seems like just the ticket.

Ruger Model 77. "Compact" iteration.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeCompact/models.html
Ruger loses alotta races,by having the heavy action,heavy rings and marrying same to a heavy stock.

3-strikes...you're out.............
And you used to be such a fan of Rugers:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Ruger_does_their_homework_agai#Post7754
My .243 & 7-08 seems to kill fine. So, my vote goes to either one.
Another vote for the 25-06.
I've never had a "bad" Ruger,but light ain't their longsuit...especially in this day and age.

The Ti and Montucky were/are tools that much changed over the counter Excellence............
Its been 20 pages...... somebody might have missed the correct answer grin

[Linked Image]
If in a pinch,to use as a parent in FF'ing 25-06AI perhaps............
243,25.06,308,30.06,6mm,270,7mm-08,7mm rem mag,8mm-06,338-06.
Of course, I tottally forgot that an AI cartridge is necessary to take game, conventional cartridges are now obsolete. Sorry for my error.
25-06
Of course, I tottally forgot that an AI cartridge is necessary to take game, conventional cartridges are now obsolete. Sorry for my error.

A modest barreled 25-06AI scooting 100's to nearly 3600fps,will do some nice things on Critters.

Adding taper and reducing capacity,do not help downrange performance............
And a standard .270 win pushing 110's upward of 3300 does just fine in my book. Not terribly concerned with taper or capacity, just dead critters.
A .277 projectile does have its place. A 85 gr. TSX or 95 gr. TTSX from a 6.8 AR is a beautiful thing.

George
And a standard .270 win pushing 110's upward of 3300 does just fine in my book. Not terribly concerned with taper or capacity, just dead critters.

Open your book and let's see some of those 110's Conquests.

Great time to rub my nose in it................(grin)
No 110conquest pics yet, got some 130 and 140 victory shots though. The fellows have seen them. I highly doubt my swine photos will get the " oohs and ahhhs" of Northern big game but they are downed game none the less.
I think many are missing the point!! The question is "what small caliber"...lots of 270 fans are polling in but since it's taken all North American and lots of African game I don't place it in the "SMALL" category.Since I have owned a 6mm REM two 243's and a 257 AI Rob...all can kill effectively at 200yds with good bullets and shot placement....so staying in the perameters of the question I'll take the 6mm because without a doubt "IT" has the edge over the 243 at that range.Not saying the 25 isn't good [it's great] but here again "SMALLER CALIBER"
I much prefer the 243Win to the 6mm and the 243AI to the 6mmAI.

Nawwww...WAY more than just a preference..........
Interested to know why ??? since I've shot my 243's for years...have you owned and shot a 6 much?? I've punched lots of paper .. C/graphed both and killed many deer and lopes,and when you push the range of these two out to 200 and beyond the 6 always has the edge in my opinion. Good jawin with ya...FLEM
OP wanted plain jane, out of the box, no fancy loads... AI's are out as far as he is concerned. Even though I own a 6mm, I would say a 243 is better for this guy. No one makes a 6 anymore, and if he doesnt reload, how easy is ammo gonna be to find?
By some of the responses the .270 isnt terribly large. There have been many 7 millimeter, .30 caliber and even bigger replies so far. The OP didnt really set a parameter so I guess its up to our interpretation, which we know to be pretty broad. Sorry if the .270 doesnt qualify.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Interested to know why ??? since I've shot my 243's for years...have you owned and shot a 6 much?? I've punched lots of paper .. C/graphed both and killed many deer and lopes,and when you push the range of these two out to 200 and beyond the 6 always has the edge in my opinion. Good jawin with ya...FLEM

Launch a 105A-Max at Warp Nine outta a 243AI and get back to me.

The 243AI is 6mmRem case capacity,with a much shorter case length,which allows very nice things in s/a mag confines. I've had numerous 6's and a 6AI,as well as 6-06AI.

Utility? Gimme the 243AI...........
I think many are missing the point!! The question is "what small caliber"...lots of 270 fans are polling in but since it's taken all North American and lots of African game I don't place it in the "SMALL" category.Since I have owned a 6mm REM two 243's and a 257 AI Rob...all can kill effectively at 200yds with good bullets and shot placement....so staying in the perameters of the question I'll take the 6mm because without a doubt "IT" has the edge over the 243 at that range.Not saying the 25 isn't good [it's great] but here again "SMALLER CALIBER"

"I'll take the 6mm because without a doubt "it" has an edge over the 243 at that range" Small edge indeed. Same can be said about the 25's over the 6mm's and IMHO the "edge" is greater when comparing 6mm's ve 25's.
I say the best small caliber deer rifle is the 257 Roberts or a 25/06. I just like the heavier slugs available for the 25's,but if a fellow likes the 6mm/243 there is nothing wrong with them at all. Especially for deer. Lots of Bears here in B.C. and I feel a bit more comfortable with 115-120 gr bullets in one of my 25's (Rob & Roy) than I would with a 6mm.
This range of calibers being talked about is my favorite (6mm to lets say 308/30/06 in size)they are accurate and easy to shoot and economical which makes them fun.
I also would like to vote for the7mm/08 which I do not own but plan on rectifying this situation ASAP.
Cite your rifle and load.

REALLY give that answer some thought,it'll be ugly..............(grin)
Right out of the box..you do have a point!!! Regards FLEM
Probably so but as another poster said "I don't think you can include improved calibers" and therefore that's why I chose my 6mm Rem instead of 257 ROB AI !!!! FLEM
Those who don't Reload,are missing alotta boats and are excluded by default,in a serious discussion............
Stew you are right, we aren't talking lots of difference here between the 243 and 6...but it all changes one verses the other with barrel length.When graphed my 6mm Ruger #1 with that long tube blows the doors off my Rem 700 ADL 243...so here again we have to consider more than just cartridge.Choice of barrel length can make or break a caliber..Far as I'm concerned any choice of the 6mm.. 25 or 26 bore can't be discounted as long as we keep the size of the boiler room down...example 257 Weatherby..264 Win mag...not small calibers in my view..but the 6mm.. 257 ROB..6.5 /55 "apples and oranges" Think the original post wasn't specific enough.My choice of words would have been, "What small factory caliber new or old is the best for deer at 200yds." Heck we're all right!!! FLEM
Cite a load..it'll be fun.............(grin)
That's a fact!!!
Let's talk 6mm. You go Rem and I'll go Win.

Pun intended.............
How about 125 grs IMR-4350....85gr HPBT from the 6mm-ear-ga-splittin-louden-boomber !!!! Grin-Grin!!!
OK DONE !!!!
Your reservations are very well founded................
Factory cartridges here.. 243 vs 6mm Rem..can you go up against a 26" tube ???? Better think about it!!!!! FLEM
23" will be plenty...............
lets keep it simple...bullet weight 100 gr OK ????
Use any bullet you like..............
Here's one ...date 9/10/2003...rifle Ruger#1 6mm.
46.2 grs 4350...Sierra 100gr Sptz..Win 257 Rob cases neck sized..and fire formed...CCI 200 primers...Ohler 10 graph..air temp 68 degrees....5 shots..average 3122 fps. If you can beat this with a 23" tube I'll go get the hacksaw..Grin !!!!!.....FLEM
Don't blame you...bear country?? I'll take my 280
FLEM
With topics like this popping up, does anyone get the impression that hunting season needs to hurry up and get here? But please don't stop the discussions, old Orville is makin alot of money off of me.....
The load you cite,will not even begin to hang.

May as well talk about Bears now too.

Oooops!..........
Well lets have it ...if it won't hang tell me what u got...remember I've owned two 243's and worked up many loads..chronoed 'em all .. so I have a pretty good idea what's max with most powders and bullets in various barrel lengths...sounds like maybe you have a 243 Ear-ga-splittin-louden-boomer there!!! GRIN-GRIN !!! FLEM
250yd zero,2500' elevation,1.5" sight height,59 degrees,29.92 barometer,10mph full value wind. 23" tube,700 s/a.

500yds: -29.2" drop,14.4" drift,2275fps,1206 ft lbs

750yds: -101" drop,35.2" drift,1914fps,854 ft lbs

Though admittedly you don't shoot much and is several miles in over your head...................

The numbers are great.. they can be taken off of most ballistic tables but I AM very interested in your load that produces these down range numbers....oh by the way I shoot enough to know the differece between fact and fiction.
I imagine you are interested,which why I warned you fairly and well in advance,prior to your mentioning your Pipe Dream.

Hoping you get lippy too...................(grin)
No more "Lippy" as you say,I would like to change this exchange to the real tech side...I've asked you twice for your load info and would really like to hear what you have to offer.
Sorta takes the luster outta the 6mm,though the #1 doesn't fight mag confines...but they don't shoot for schitt either.

Pretty slippery slope..............
Again NO load data from you...a waist of my time..sounds mostly like fiction so lets put it to rest!!!!
You were put to rest,quite some time ago...though you were the only one that didn't know it............
No more "Lippy" as you say,I would like to change this exchange to the real tech side...I've asked you twice for your load info and would really like to hear what you have to offer.

What he has to offer isn't worth the toilet paper it would take to remove.

Ain't that right stickums?
Reality is well over your head...but it is funny!...........
Funny is all that keeps your kind alive.

Burn a fire ant for me tomorrow!
Reality is a full time job and admittedly I cut quite a swath...but that's hardly secreted............
Always did feel bad for City Slicker's kids............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
you know yer shidt, tats fe shur cool jest a shame ya cant keep yer ego in check wink good fer da kids
Researched your numbers....these would put your muzzle vecocity at between 3300-3400 fps....Maybe out of a 6mm/06...Wildcat or other over-bore case but not a factory 243! There's not one manual out there that confirms this especally out of 23" barrel...suppose this could be the reason for no load data to confirm your numbers??.. I Think so !!..the only smoke out there right now is what you are trying to send down-range to this Forum...I know I'm not the only one who sees the HAZE in your threads...have also read some of your other replies and if you want to engage me or others on the Forum do it out of "intelligence" and not intimidation.
Is that a STIHL hat???

I knew you'd come around eventually whistle
My ego is well in check,but what isn't...is a gaggle of Do-nothins trying to talk like they do somethin',to someone who know better.

Wouldn't wanna take anyones imagination from them,as it's all alotta them have...............

Researched your numbers....these would put your muzzle vecocity at between 3300-3400 fps....Maybe out of a 6mm/06...Wildcat or other over-bore case but not a factory 243! There's not one manual out there that confirms this especally out of 23" barrel...suppose this could be the reason for no load data to confirm your numbers??.. I Think so !!..the only smoke out there right now is what you are trying to send down-range to this Forum...I know I'm not the only one who sees the HAZE in your threads...have also read some of your other replies and if you want to engage me or others on the Forum do it out of "intelligence" and not intimidation.

You are too dmb to have even a hint of ballistic savvy and it's somehow my "fault"?!!?

THAT is entertainment..............
I fly a Savage hat too,because humor never ain't not funny...............(grin)
The only entertainment out there right now is you're side-stepping the original arguments...haven't seen one piece of evidence yet to support your claims....Wow..you must be on a different plane of existence than anyone else on the Forum...be sure to write a book...and please send me the first copy!!!!
I fly a Savage hat too,because humor never ain't not funny...............(grin)

I can dig that thinking. I love the "Tikka's sure are accurate" response I get while wearing my Tikka hat!
Admittedly,the prose would fly off the shelf and perhaps someday.

I enjoy folks getting lippy and when mood strikes,I'll rub your nose in your own stupidity...............
Well when the "Mood Strikes" send me real data...would like to discuss it with you...we kinda got off on the wrong foot and I would like to get back on track about the subject matter...I'm really not a bad guy and I apologize to all that have been reading our mail for any "Lippiness".....so lets turn this into something positive!!!.....FLEM
Lippy is good,just costly after all the cards are on the table.

Give ballistics a thunk and see where it takes you. Your focus is amiss and by a mile.............
7mm-08 or 280Rem with 140gr bullets....
I only shoot 140's(XLC's) in one of my 7-08's..............
Question: Who considers .284 a "small" caliber though?

I don't doubt the 7-08's effectiveness on deer (who would?), but is it "small?" What about .264?

Not trying to stir the pot, but for some reason, I just figured that "small caliber" topped out at something less than .277.
Semantics.

Like .020" matters?...............

If 200 is your normal range you need a 06 powder column with anything on top of it.

That way you can reach out to double that distance if you have too.
Bullets matter far more than headstamps..................
Well at some point the increase in caliber has to matter.

.257 to .277 is a .020 jump
.277 to .284 is .007
.284 to .308 is .024

And so it goes. You can inch your way to 8mm then .338 then the .020 to .358. At some point you have to draw a line and say "OK, a __________(fill in the blank) caliber rifle isn't 'small.'"

Again, I'm just asking...

Agreed. Totally.

1. Bullet Placement
2. Bullet Construction
3. Headstamp
Fret projectile integrity and flight characteristics,far more than diameter or SD...and you'll gain by leaps and bounds...........
Well lets refocus...if I'm so amiss then as I've said many times before let me know what you got...you have my undivided attention on this subject without any sarcasm. FLEM
There is no "if"................
"without any sarcasm"

Flem: It ain't gonna happen.
Projectile mass coupled with a good B/C has always been my train of thought...as you say headstamp not so much...most calibers discussed are plenty potent for most hunting situations and hear again we see individual preference.
Gonna be a great day,if the Texans feel brazen enough to get lippy.

Though it's sorta cheatin',due to how little they actually shoot...............
Projectile mass coupled with a good B/C has always been my train of thought...as you say headstamp not so much...most calibers discussed are plenty potent for most hunting situations and hear again we see individual preference.

I put little store in "mass". BC and integrity is the money maker...........
you're easily entertained
Stupidity is intriguing.............
Your arrogance mirrors your intellegence.....your on off switch has just been turned to OFF !!!
Satiate your stupidity,with whatever salve works best...I can only imagine how much practice you've had in it's application...........
My vote for 250 Savage still stands (grin).
I'd rather gun a 22-250AI 1-8" on that hull..............
That'd work too.

It weren't a guess...............
Out of the box, plain jane, cheap?

It would be hard to beat a Marlin XS-7 in 243, 7mm-08, or 308. You can't buy anything better that is NIB for less $$, under $300 retail all day.

I have a couple of XS-7s and they shoot really nice groups, they fit me well, good stock ergs, and they are easy on the wallet. I will freely admit that only 1 of 3 still has its factory 243 barrel, but I wanted a quick twist 22-250, so I rechambered a 223 Stevens 200 barrel on 1 and installed an A&B 257 Roberts barrel on the other.

Jeff
I'd go used vintage ADL in 243 or 308,just because they are throated far more favorably than the 308 version(s) of same.

It ain't like I'm not gonna scrath it up anyhow and I'd rather buy used goods of repute,than NIB junk...............
If I had to pick one from thin air, the vote would be for a .25-06, however if I have to pick from my closet, it's the .243.
I much prefer the 25-284 to the 25-06 and the 25-06AI to the 25-06.

Trouble is...there's much MOJO inherent 6mm BC's...............
It weren't a guess...............

Nor is my choice of 250 Savage...
It were a WILD guess in comparison...............
Twenty seven pages on how to kill a deer at 200 yards... Can't understand how anything from the 243 on up wouldn't work, even with the cheapest factory ammo, regardless of throating, twist or the nation of origin of the guy that made the screwdriver they used to install the butt plate. And if you wanted to assume a certain level of intelligence in bullet selection and/or placement, you could start down at the 222.
It's kinda like arguing over what shape the spoiler needs to be on your 65 Nash Rambler that you drive two miles to the dump on Saturday.
I don't know Fred, spoiler angle on those hot runs to the dump is pretty critical.

I like a 33.525 angle myself, unless of course the Rambler is loaded down extra heavy, then a guy wants the standard 30 degree.

(grin)
Sam
Laffin here!
Originally Posted by Royce
Twenty seven pages on how to kill a deer at 200 yards... Can't understand how anything from the 243 on up wouldn't work, even with the cheapest factory ammo, regardless of throating, twist or the nation of origin of the guy that made the screwdriver they used to install the butt plate. And if you wanted to assume a certain level of intelligence in bullet selection and/or placement, you could start down at the 222.
It's kinda like arguing over what shape the spoiler needs to be on your 65 Nash Rambler that you drive two miles to the dump on Saturday.

The chambering can be no better than it's fodder. I'm a great fan of the K-Hornet on Venison,though I've killed them with a 378Wby as well.............
What is wrong with the Marlin XS-7? Are you speaking from personal experience, or just speculating?

Jeff
Junk through and through.

I've never been forced to guess and it's admittedly handy..............
must be weathered in?
To slum an XS-7?

It would involve losing a damned BIG bet............
What do think is a better NIB choice for bolt action CF rifle under $300 retail?

Jeff
Used Howa or 700..............
Originally Posted by chas05
must be weathered in?

referenced to your obvious boredom...

got fish to clean...

luvya
You're boring,I'm not.............(grin)
You're boring,I'm not.............(grin)

Yeaaa....I plead guilty...and you are not fer shur, but.........................................................
............but Lee24 wasn't boring either (grin)

sumptin to think on...

oh yeah, fish are cleaned, and the weather is absolutely friggin' great here...............
Just what do you call a "fish"...I know it's gonna be funny!............
classic deflection crazy
moov'n on...........
You can't talk rifles/boolits/hunting in the firsthand...so I may as well letcha swing at the feesh.

Dare ya'..............
Originally Posted by chas05
you know yer shidt, tats fe shur cool jest a shame ya cant keep yer ego in check wink good fer da kids

sums it up
Originally Posted by 7 STW
25-06

that or a Roberts.
.243, 6mm, or 250 Savage, but I can attest for more than several 100 gr. Nosler partitions entering a brisket and leaving a ham on big whitetails and mule deer at 250 yds and more with the .243 - none of these stop at 200 yds if the shooter is up to it. If I'm going to shoot a .25-06 and burn that much powder I might as well use the improved version - the .30-06!
Originally Posted by moosemike
.250 Savage

Irony...

Stick get a new name?
How the helllll did we get a 9 year old thread back up
Originally Posted by 260madman
How the helllll did we get a 9 year old thread back up

I dunno, but whatever cartridge you suggested totally Sucks! laugh

FC
What???? you mean to tell me it's not some sort of spray painted, plastic stocked, non-bolt locking safety with a SWFA scope, festooned with Eiffel Tower look alike turrets, "mil quad" in 6.5 Creedmoor? (the horror....)..
© 24hourcampfire