Home
Posted By: shootandfish1 CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/26/11
Hello Folks, New guy here, I've been lurking, reading lots of old threads, and hopefully learning from the practical knowledge/experience has been offered.

CZ has released a new version of their 550. Sorry, I can't get the link function to work. Anyway, it's a 7.0 pound carbine in 30-06 or 9.3x62, kevlar stock, and has open sights.

For hunting, predators, or 'just-in-case', I'm interested in this 550 (in '06) for the one rifle that is always 'with you', in your vehicle, atv, boat, or on foot. A 'working-rifle' may be a better title.

Out of the box, all this gun needs should be a trigger adjustment, remove the rear sight, add a NECG peep and maybe a red fiber optic front sight, and a scope in Warne detachable mounts.

I'm well aware of the 30-06's capabilities and versatility with proper loads. Mice to Moose (or something else). Since deer will probably be the biggest game hunted, I'm more concerned with 165 gr and smaller bullets, but want to be ablity to load 220's (for camping/fishing in bear country).

I have a couple of concerns.

First,in theory, the 1in12 twist (I called CZ to verify that the listed 1in12 was not an error) should shoot the lighter .30 bullets more accurately than the common 1in10 barrels. But what happens to accuracy when, say, 180-220 gr bullets are used?

CZ bolt handles require a higher mounted scope that I like. Does the Kevlar stock design provide decent 'cheek-weld'. Suggestions for raiseing the comb if needed? At nearly $1000.00, I really do not want to replace the factory stock.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreicated.

Fred

Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/26/11
Welcome to the 'Fire!

12 twist should work fine at least to 180 grains. Probably all the way to 220 if those are roundnose bullets.

Having never had the new Kevlar stock in hand, I don't know about the cheek weld/comb situation.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/26/11
Originally Posted by shootandfish1
First,in theory, the 1in12 twist (I called CZ to verify that the listed 1in12 was not an error) should shoot the lighter .30 bullets more accurately than the common 1in10 barrels. But what happens to accuracy when, say, 180-220 gr bullets are used?

Accuracy may or may not suffer. Only real way to find out is to shoot it.

CZ bolt handles require a higher mounted scope that I like. Does the Kevlar stock design provide decent 'cheek-weld'. Suggestions for raiseing the comb if needed? At nearly $1000.00, I really do not want to replace the factory stock.

Wayne at American Hunting Rifles can get you squared away.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm
Thanks for responding.

Having the bolt handle modified was something I had not considered.

Please allow some follow-up questions reguarding the Kevlar stock.

Is this stock suitable for shooting using a sling? I know
a full length bedding block is utilized, but I don't know if it makes the stock stiff enough for sling use.

and

Is CZ's quality control good enough that you would buy a kevlar stocked rifle without seeing in person? My concern is if the barrel is positioned evenly in the barrel channel. With a wood stock, it is no biggie to remove a little wood. Not sure what one could do with this stock.

I have to travel to visit a cz dealer and will probably have to have one ordered with a deposit.

I imagine that I'll in the minority wanting a 30'06 carbine, but the 9.3x62 version should be a desirable gun for the guys in Alaska and Canada.

Fred

Posted By: JORGE01 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/27/11
I have the synthetic stock in a CZ550 American in 30-06. I use it with a sling attached and have not found any discernible shift in point of impact by using the sling. I personally believe in using a sling to steady the shot when feasible. I use a super sling 2 on the rifle and it works very well. The only thing I recommend to anyone buying a CZ550 is the following:

1-Get Warne Quick-detach medium mounts this will lower the scope to get a better cheek contact with the stock.
2-Superglue the front sling swivels to the nut on the stock, they have a tendency to spin in the nut that it is screwed on.
3-Epoxy the follower to the spring in the magazine. A very small amount of epoxy will do the trick. The follower has a tendency to fall off (specially the metal one) you don�t want that happening to you in the boondocks.
4-Work on the trigger the instruction manual will show you how to have a good pull. You will need a metric wrench (I think it�s 6mm) it has to be very small to work in tight places and a small screwdriver. Ignition wrenches work quite well to tighten the little nuts.

Other than those few quirks on the rifle the CZ550 is a very good if somewhat heavy rifle. This is because of the almost total steel construction which makes it very strong and reliable. With a 4X Leupold scope and 180 gr. Nosler Partition bullets it�s a very deadly combination. Hoppe this helps you a bit.

Posted By: 1B Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/27/11
The 550 is a heavy rifle and to get to 7.0 lbs they must have added a thinner profile barrel as well as shortening it and using a synthetic stock. If so, there might be more barrel whip and resulting metal stock contact. This usually leads to more open groups w/o extra beding work. Be intersted to know how this works out.

The 9.3 x62 could become a popular guide gun for backing up sports or a big bear/moose, north woods, rifle.

1B

Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/27/11
Thanks for responding.

Having the bolt handle modified was something I had not considered.

Please allow some follow-up questions reguarding the Kevlar stock.

Is this stock suitable for shooting using a sling? I know
a full length bedding block is utilized, but I don't know if it makes the stock stiff enough for sling use.

and

Is CZ's quality control good enough that you would buy a kevlar stocked rifle without seeing in person? My concern is if the barrel is positioned evenly in the barrel channel. With a wood stock, it is no biggie to remove a little wood. Not sure what one could do with this stock.

I have to travel to visit a cz dealer and will probably have to have one ordered with a deposit.

I imagine that I'll in the minority wanting a 30'06 carbine, but the 9.3x62 version should be a desirable gun for the guys in Alaska and Canada.

Fred

............Fred,,,,,,Yes. You certainly will be in the minority in owning a 30-06 with a shortened barrel. Regarding shorter barreled carbines, I know what it is like being in the minority. But I like it that way.

Good luck!

Posted By: TomM1 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/27/11
I like the concept of the rifle very much. Especially in a CZ, which have been very good shooters ime. My biggest complaint with them, has been weight. Lightening them up and putting them in a synthetic stock makes them a very attractive rig, especially wearing irons.
I called a cz dealer today to discuss ordering, He told me that the carbine is not in the computer yet, thus he can't order. Dealer said it may be 2-3 monthes before their available.

Barrel contour - Downloaded the cz catolog as it had more info. Weight difference between the 550 FS and 550 carbine, kevlar is .16 kg for the same 20.5 in barrel lenght. And .6 lb (4 in diff) between the 550 rifle kevlar and 550 carbine kevlar. I really hope that cz did not thin the barrel.

Also, In the catolog narritaive about the 550 American, it mentions that the kevlar stock matches the American stock, which was redesigned in 2008,,,,,,hmmm,,,,. I would like to find out what changed. I bought a 550 American in .270 back in 2006, which is what I have based my concerns about 'cheek-weld'. I may have been concerned over nothing.

Placed call to cz, but they did not call back, maybe out to shot show.

Now for the bad, cz's catolog had a new action, Short extractor,plunger ejector. Sad, sad.....
Posted By: Karnis Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
I'd buy the kevlar stocked rifle, do what Jorge said and glass bed and free float the barrel. Then you won't have to worry about sling tension and be more accurate all in one swell foop (grin).

If you decide you want a shorter barrel, chop it and reattach front site.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
Originally Posted by 1B
The 550 is a heavy rifle and to get to 7.0 lbs they must have added a thinner profile barrel as well as shortening it and using a synthetic stock. If so, there might be more barrel whip and resulting metal stock contact. This usually leads to more open groups w/o extra beding work. Be intersted to know how this works out.

The 9.3 x62 could become a popular guide gun for backing up sports or a big bear/moose, north woods, rifle.

1B

They're lighter because the carbine uses the same barrel length and contour as the FS model, which is a light 20.5" barrel. I have had one, in a McMillan stock, for several years and it shoots very well.

The kevlar carbine stock is made by Bell and Carlson, and likely accounts for the weight of the new gun; the B&C stocks made for the CZ 550 Magnum action have gotten very good reviews; a poster over on Accurate Reloading reported that he bolted his 416 Rigby into that stock and shot it, without bedding, and got fine accuracy with no battering of the aluminum block from recoil. He also posted extensive pictures of the stock.

Posted By: 1B Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
Oregon45,

I believe that the FS was a mannlicher which also was made in 9.3x62 -- VAnimrod has one. So, the new Kevlar stocked carbine could be the same rifle with a different stock?

1N
Posted By: FOsteology Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
Originally Posted by 1B
So, the new Kevlar stocked carbine could be the same rifle with a different stock?

Basically.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
A standard fill McMillan shaved over 1# off my 550FS in 9.3x62. All up, scoped, slung and loaded that rifle will now go 8.5#, and be damned close to 7# bare.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
As for ring: Talley QDs.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 01/28/11
The rifle is identical to the same 550FS they've been selling for years. Only difference is the new B&C stock. Just like the Winchester Extreme Weather, these are fairly lightweight with a full length bedding block. All you need to do is shoot the snot out of the gun straight from the box.
Posted By: VernAK Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/09/11
The catalog claims a "three position safety" but I can't confirm by the catalog photo. Can anyone confirm?

Sure wish it didn't have a floor plate....epoxy it shut I guess.

Posted By: pabucktail Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/09/11
I like the concept, but wish Ruger would do it. Turns out I'm a bit of a psycho about having scopes mounted low and the idea of taking a CZ's trigger assembly out into the wilds scares me.
Posted By: dhg Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/09/11
There's no point going above the 180gr mark in the 30-06. In testing, penetration and wound generation actually fall above this point. The loss in kinetic energy due to the loss in velocity exceeds the small benefits in bullet mass and construction above 180gr. You need to be going up to the .300 mags to make the 200gr bullets worth while, and even then it is very marginal.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/09/11
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I like the concept, but wish Ruger would do it. Turns out I'm a bit of a psycho about having scopes mounted low and the idea of taking a CZ's trigger assembly out into the wilds scares me.

CZ Trigger assembly scary ? ? ?
Posted By: tskin Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/09/11
Triggers are just fine. I think he is referring to the ability to set the trigger to a lighter touch by pushing it forward. I have a 550 and like the trigger system alot.
terry
Posted By: Tennessee Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/10/11
That gun, to me is just wrong in 30-06 but so right in 9.3x62.

Mine is sub-MOA with factory Norma Oryx 232gr and a Swarovski 1-4 mounted in Talley QD rings.

Recoil feels like and '06 and if you want to lean on your handloads you can typically get better efficiency from a short barrel with the bigger bore.

There is actually a surprising selection of factory loaded 9.3 now as well so no reason not to be in the cool club.

Posted By: GaryVA Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/10/11
Did they ever make this CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar? I've yet to see one though they've been talking about it for a good while now.

I went the Sako route, though it required a bit of work to have Beretta USA import a non-USA model. Ended up 6-lbs 9-ounces, basically a black Finnlight 9.3x62 with Recknagel sights.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dhg Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/10/11
I agree, that rifle is just made for the 9.3x62. As the poster is suggesting it for bear protection, it also seems a very sensible option. In europe, they also do a 8x57, which would also be a good option.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/10/11
I mean scary as in look at all those little parts: plenty of stuff that could go wrong or collect junk. I'm sure the gun would work fine for sitting in a treestand a few times a year. I just don't trust it for use as a working rifle.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/11/11
to each his own I guess. I love the set trigger and hear of plenty tking cz's for DG hunts. Never ever heard of a trigger issue with CZ but of course- buy what you feel.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/11/11
You could always replace with an AHR custom single stage trigger.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/11/11
Own the CZ550, 98 Mauser and 77 Ruger. My opinion, the Mauser and Ruger have a simpler and more robust design, especially in the trigger group. The CZ trigger mechanism, excluding the parts for the sear, contains (19) nineteen individual small parts including (2) two nylon pins which are a plastic. More springs, clips, pins, bushings, etc to maintain. The Mauser has a simple, robust and rugged design, and the Ruger is closer to this than the CZ's more complex design. I�ve personally had a failure and problems with the thin wire spring CZ uses for the sear which completely disabled my rifle. Never heard of such issue with the stronger mechanics used in the Mauser and Ruger.

Example; thin wire spring from the CZ:
[Linked Image]

robust sear spring from the Mauser which is shared by the Ruger:
[Linked Image]

People make fun of the Ruger, but completely break one down and notice how simple, robust, and open all the components. They are just claw hammer simple and truck axle robust.

Best smile
Posted By: pabucktail Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/13/11
I'm not trying to start a pissing match here. +1 to what Gary said.

I don't doubt many CZs go on dangerous game hunts every year, mostly because they're the most availble rifles if you want a good DG round like a .404 or .505 I would be curious as to how many CZ are used by PHs and guides here in AK. Based on my needs I'll stick with New Haven Model 70s and Rugers.

Gary, what's the trigger assembly like on that sweet looking Sako?
Posted By: GaryVA Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/13/11
I'd not get too wrapped around the axle over the triggers. A handful may truly need to maintain a hard use rifle way out in the middle of nowhere, but most of us would do fine using just about any factory trigger with proper maintenance. The Sako is no different. I still run CZs and was looking at the 9.3x62 Carbine Kevlar prior to purchasing the Black Bear. So I'm not a CZ basher, just pointing out that the factory trigger/sear design is not "all that" when it comes to a hard use trigger.

Don't know what everyone uses, but I know a number of well respected hard use gun nuts who clean out boxed triggers annually with a dose of lighter fluid. Let it air dry and then go forth. Keeps them clean and leaves a touch of lubrication.

Best smile
Posted By: dhg Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/13/11
Be keen to hear you review the Black Bear, Gary. Especially in 9.3x62.
Orginal Poster back, glad to see my old thread revised after almost a year and as it turns out, very timly.

Rifleshooter magazine has an on-line review on the cz 550 kevlar carbine in 30-06, 12/15/11 by Brad Fitzpatrick.

550 kevlar carbine review 30-06

Hope the link works.

On edit, I can't get the link to work, should be able to google.

Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/30/11
My CZ550 9.3mm was a three position safety. It is a Euro Lux stock version.

People make fun of the Ruger, but completely break one down and notice how simple, robust, and open all the components. They are just claw hammer simple and truck axle robust.

Best smile[/quote]

Very well said. I don't have very many Ruger M-77 but they are tough and simple
Posted By: bethalhntr Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/31/11
Here's the CZ 550 link.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/12/15/review-cz-550-carbine-kevlar/
Posted By: bethalhntr Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 12/31/11
Owning both a Sako 85 and a CZ 550 I would be more inclined to purchace the Sako Black Bear, Dont get me wrong CZ builds a great rifle and I enjoy using mine but at a simular price point the Sako would be the one sitting in my safe.
Posted By: VernAK Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 10/10/13
I was hoping these CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar, 9.3x62 rifles would show up in local gun shops but no luck and now they seem to be unavailable. Where can I find one?

Thanx

Vern
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar - 10/11/13
I got mine at the Damascus Gun Shop mid-year last year but, I see that they are currently out of stock. This is an old thread but keep looking. This was my first CZ and I really like it (including the set trigger). Scoped, strapped and fully loaded, the rifle weighs in at 9lbs. I think the Kevlar stock does add a bit weight but, that only serves to make it more pleasurable to shoot. The bedding on my rifle is absolutely perfect. It is one of the most accurate rifles I own and it is probably one the easiest rifle cartridges to reload. It's going elk hunting next week in CO. Oh, it is a 9.3x62 Mauser.
© 24hourcampfire