Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Triggers are just fine. I think he is referring to the ability to set the trigger to a lighter touch by pushing it forward. I have a 550 and like the trigger system alot.
terry

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That gun, to me is just wrong in 30-06 but so right in 9.3x62.

Mine is sub-MOA with factory Norma Oryx 232gr and a Swarovski 1-4 mounted in Talley QD rings.

Recoil feels like and '06 and if you want to lean on your handloads you can typically get better efficiency from a short barrel with the bigger bore.

There is actually a surprising selection of factory loaded 9.3 now as well so no reason not to be in the cool club.

Last edited by Tennessee; 12/10/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did they ever make this CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar? I've yet to see one though they've been talking about it for a good while now.

I went the Sako route, though it required a bit of work to have Beretta USA import a non-USA model. Ended up 6-lbs 9-ounces, basically a black Finnlight 9.3x62 with Recknagel sights.
[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, that rifle is just made for the 9.3x62. As the poster is suggesting it for bear protection, it also seems a very sensible option. In europe, they also do a 8x57, which would also be a good option.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I mean scary as in look at all those little parts: plenty of stuff that could go wrong or collect junk. I'm sure the gun would work fine for sitting in a treestand a few times a year. I just don't trust it for use as a working rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to each his own I guess. I love the set trigger and hear of plenty tking cz's for DG hunts. Never ever heard of a trigger issue with CZ but of course- buy what you feel.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/10/11.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always replace with an AHR custom single stage trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Own the CZ550, 98 Mauser and 77 Ruger. My opinion, the Mauser and Ruger have a simpler and more robust design, especially in the trigger group. The CZ trigger mechanism, excluding the parts for the sear, contains (19) nineteen individual small parts including (2) two nylon pins which are a plastic. More springs, clips, pins, bushings, etc to maintain. The Mauser has a simple, robust and rugged design, and the Ruger is closer to this than the CZ's more complex design. I�ve personally had a failure and problems with the thin wire spring CZ uses for the sear which completely disabled my rifle. Never heard of such issue with the stronger mechanics used in the Mauser and Ruger.

Example; thin wire spring from the CZ:
[Linked Image]

robust sear spring from the Mauser which is shared by the Ruger:
[Linked Image]

People make fun of the Ruger, but completely break one down and notice how simple, robust, and open all the components. They are just claw hammer simple and truck axle robust.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm not trying to start a pissing match here. +1 to what Gary said.

I don't doubt many CZs go on dangerous game hunts every year, mostly because they're the most availble rifles if you want a good DG round like a .404 or .505 I would be curious as to how many CZ are used by PHs and guides here in AK. Based on my needs I'll stick with New Haven Model 70s and Rugers.

Gary, what's the trigger assembly like on that sweet looking Sako?

Last edited by pabucktail; 12/12/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd not get too wrapped around the axle over the triggers. A handful may truly need to maintain a hard use rifle way out in the middle of nowhere, but most of us would do fine using just about any factory trigger with proper maintenance. The Sako is no different. I still run CZs and was looking at the 9.3x62 Carbine Kevlar prior to purchasing the Black Bear. So I'm not a CZ basher, just pointing out that the factory trigger/sear design is not "all that" when it comes to a hard use trigger.

Don't know what everyone uses, but I know a number of well respected hard use gun nuts who clean out boxed triggers annually with a dose of lighter fluid. Let it air dry and then go forth. Keeps them clean and leaves a touch of lubrication.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be keen to hear you review the Black Bear, Gary. Especially in 9.3x62.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
S
OP Offline
S
Orginal Poster back, glad to see my old thread revised after almost a year and as it turns out, very timly.

Rifleshooter magazine has an on-line review on the cz 550 kevlar carbine in 30-06, 12/15/11 by Brad Fitzpatrick.

550 kevlar carbine review 30-06

Hope the link works.

On edit, I can't get the link to work, should be able to google.

Last edited by shootandfish1; 12/26/11.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My CZ550 9.3mm was a three position safety. It is a Euro Lux stock version.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

People make fun of the Ruger, but completely break one down and notice how simple, robust, and open all the components. They are just claw hammer simple and truck axle robust.

Best smile[/quote]

Very well said. I don't have very many Ruger M-77 but they are tough and simple

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Owning both a Sako 85 and a CZ 550 I would be more inclined to purchace the Sako Black Bear, Dont get me wrong CZ builds a great rifle and I enjoy using mine but at a simular price point the Sako would be the one sitting in my safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was hoping these CZ 550 Carbine, Kevlar, 9.3x62 rifles would show up in local gun shops but no luck and now they seem to be unavailable. Where can I find one?

Thanx

Vern

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got mine at the Damascus Gun Shop mid-year last year but, I see that they are currently out of stock. This is an old thread but keep looking. This was my first CZ and I really like it (including the set trigger). Scoped, strapped and fully loaded, the rifle weighs in at 9lbs. I think the Kevlar stock does add a bit weight but, that only serves to make it more pleasurable to shoot. The bedding on my rifle is absolutely perfect. It is one of the most accurate rifles I own and it is probably one the easiest rifle cartridges to reload. It's going elk hunting next week in CO. Oh, it is a 9.3x62 Mauser.

Last edited by Biggs300; 10/10/13.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 55 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.