Home
If you are the intended target grin

I Did this at the 200 yard line Wednesday with the Tikka T3 .243 Burris 3-9 FF II 70 grain Nosler BT with 45 grains of H4350 Federal 215 primer. 3212 fps velocity (rather mild load). Three Shots I measured at .780

[Linked Image][/img]
My 3 shoot like that too.....they are boringly, amazingly accurate.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
.....they are boringly, amazingly accurate.

AMEN!
One unusual thing I have observed with this Tikka .243 is that it will put the 70 NBT, 85 TSX, 85 Sierra, and the 95 NBT within 1/2 inch of the same POI.

I have never seen this with any other sporter weight rifle.
good barrels suck (grin)
Originally Posted by eddief
good barrels suck (grin)

I wish I had some more of these sucky barrels grin
Here's my experience with a T3 Lite SS in .308.

Laser bore sight scope.
Take to range and fire shot onto paper.
Re-zero from that shot.
Put three into an inch at new POA.
Go hunting.

I haven't even attempted to work up a handload yet or try another brand of ammo. Damn thing simply puts bullets where you aim it. I guess at some point I need to see what it "can really do" just for giggles but as my new favorite all-around deer rifle it's got nothing left to prove.
My T3 is a Lite SS too. I am really wanting a Tikka Heavy barrel in .308.

One of those things should be downright scary accurate.
I just have the basic T-3 Lite, blued, with a Burris Short Mag 4.5-14X scope on it, in keepng with the"Lite" theme. Mine shoots 1/2-MOA with Varget and 70 gr Ballistic Tips or 75 gr V-Maxs. I liked it so much that I went and bought another one in .300 Win mag. (I did put a Limbsaver pad on that one...)
Yea but does it have the 3 rings of steel? grin

DO you have the superlite T3 with the fluted barrel? Not at all surprised with the results...
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

DO you have the superlite T3 with the fluted barrel? Not at all surprised with the results...

Mine is just the Lite version with the unfluted barrel.

I know Swampy will be so disappointed in my rifle choice. grin
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Yeah and I bet you lose sleep at night worrying about what he thinks grin

Yeah and I bet you lose sleep at night worrying about what he thinks grin

Yeah, I am just crestfallen at the thought I have fell short of Swampy's glory. smile
good barrels suck (grin)

And great triggers......
Bought a 595 years ago because I had heard so many good things about Tikka. Factory trigger surprised me the first shot at the range - darn that thing was light. A surprisingly accurate rifle. Made the mistake of letting a nephew talk me out of it. For some reason waited a few years before I bought a couple of the T3 Hunters. Set the triggers at 2 3/4 lbs, bought some ammo and headed to the range. Shoot nothing but factory ammo now and can't find any that won't do inch to inch and a half groups. Makes an old man happy. Still have a 270 WIN NIB with extras that I'd love to trade for a T3 Lite SS in 7mm-08. And BTW - if that new 243 is your first, I'll be surprised if it's your last Tikka.
good barrels suck (grin)

And great triggers......

Tikka triggers will spoil you. I wish all gunmakers would take the hint do likewise to their triggers.
good barrels suck (grin)

And great triggers......

Tikka triggers will spoil you. I wish all gunmakers would take the hint do likewise to their triggers.

yeah,i gota agree,my t3 270 is one heck of a rifle
One unusual thing I have observed with this Tikka .243 is that it will put the 70 NBT, 85 TSX, 85 Sierra, and the 95 NBT within 1/2 inch of the same POI.

I have never seen this with any other sporter weight rifle.

My Vanguard shoots 55gr NBT's, 65gr. HP's, and 95gr. NBT's and Partitions within inch of each other, with the variance being mostly from left of center for the heavier bullets( about .5), and working to about 1/2" right of center for the 55's with the 65's being where my "zero" on my turret is set. A couple clicks either way depending on what load, and I'm good. First rifle I've had that will do that, it's great!
They can do amazing things with plastic these days.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

700 out of the box can't run with it, THat is plain and simple
That's really funny!
That's really funny!

That isn't fiction. 700 cannot run with a T3. Maybe if you spend 1k on a new barrel and blueprint you might might might come close.
And here is another Swamp hijack...

To the poster: I don't own a Tikka T3, but your post makes me want to go get one and see what it is capable of. Can't be any worse than the last 700 I worked on for 3 months before it would finally shoot MOA.

More fiction...
Yeah, Remingtons the champ when it comes to making guns out of plastic. In fact they were a pioneer in making one almost completely of plastic with their junk nylon 66/76/77 series rimfires. Then it was on to such as plastic vent ribs, trigger guards,floor plates, sights, barrel shrouds and magazines on the 600,660, 788, 580/581/582/591/592, 552 viper and 597. Oh and lets not forget the plastic action port cover on the 7600, the plastic trigger guard/fire control unit on the 870 express and the mostly plastic junk 710 and 770. Yeah, Remington's a winner alright ! Pull your head out of your a$$ swampy, it's [bleep]' dark in there !

Alright Swampy, here is a challenge for you. You bring the out of the box 700 of your choice up to the range and shoot it against my out of the box Tikka T3 at any range and target of your choice.

If your 700 out shoots or even shoots as good as my Tikka. I will give you the Tikka plus repay the purchase price of your 700.

Put up or shut up.
Hillbillybear - I'll pick you up and pay the gas to get there and watch. I'd love to see a Rem to Tikka match in the same caliber. And if through some miracle that Rem outshoots the Tikka - I'll buy the Tikka back from Swampy on the spot!
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Hillbillybear - I'll pick you up and pay the gas to get there and watch. I'd love to see a Rem to Tikka match in the same caliber. And if through some miracle that Rem outshoots the Tikka - I'll buy the Tikka back from Swampy on the spot!

Its a deal but methinks Swampy won't rise to the challenge grin
I wouldn't give $10.00 for one, and I wouldn't cross the street to shoot against one. It may be accurate but it's plastic.

A plastic pistol is one thing, but a plastic deer rifle is something else. Just buy a Remington 710 they are highly accurate....and plastic......

Here's a good review...

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-211246.html
I wouldn't give $10.00 for one, and I wouldn't cross the street to shoot against one. It may be accurate but it's plastic.

A plastic pistol is one thing, but a plastic deer rifle is something else. Just buy a Remington 710 they are highly accurate....and plastic......

Here's a good review...

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-211246.html

About the response I expected. Face it, you are a know-nothing, do-nothing azzhat who just likes to troll the Internet spreading your Dumbphuckery.

Citing a Chuck Hawks, another Internet Dumphuck of the first order, review is not exactly what I call cutting edge or compelling evidence.
Cheap plastic rifles are remarkable. They can even be accurate as you have shown.
Cheap plastic rifles are remarkable. They can even be accurate as you have shown.

You decry the "plastic rifles." Have you ever tried one? I have tried many of the allegedly far superior blue steel and walnut guns and they are fine rifles but not nearly as practical for my purposes in the field.

For example, I have a full custom .300 H&H that was built around 1940. Its on a 1917 Enfield action that has all sorts of gunsmithing work done to it to slick it up. It has a 26 inch high polish blue barrel and a nice walnut stock. It will shoot around 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. It also weighs 11 pounds field ready.

Conversely, this Tikka .243 weighs 7.25lbs field ready, shoots better at all distances, and the stainless steel barreled action and synthetic stock are near impervious to all weather conditions. The 22 inch barrel is also a lot handier in a thicket.

Its just a better mousetrap for the steep mountain ridges I hunt.
The reason many gunmakers and other manufacturers are incorporating more "plastic" into their designs is because that modern composite materials are often STRONGER than steel or other metals. In addition, these modern composites are less likely to have integrity issues when exposed to elements such as moisture or other things like sodium.

Aircraft manufacturers and manufacturers of armored military vehicles are trading metal for composites- often composites re-inforced by ceramic- to lighten and strengthen them.

Education on such things is paramount. Polymers can cheapen a product, but they can often make sense and add value when used effectively.

I'm going to look into a T3. Sounds like their barrels are made of the right metal and machined with care.
I've had a Tikka model 595 chambered in .243 and a 695 chambered in .30-06 for 11 years now. Both are blued with walnut stocks and the only synthetic parts are the floorplate/tiggerguard unit, magazine and bolt shroud. These two rifles are absolutely, without doubt the most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. I haven't been able to find a factory load or handload that won't go into less than an inch in the .243 and good hanloads average in the .3's and .4's. The worst factorty loads in the .30-06 have hovered right at 1 1/4" but handlods with several different bullet weights print in the .5's and .6's and neither rifle required any dickin' around with bedding, recrowning, trigger work or replacement to get there. All I did was seal the wood up good in the checkering/inletting/under the buttplate and mount scopes on them and that was it. I've hunted these rifles alot over the years and neither has ever shifted point of impact or had anything break. In fact, both feed and function to perfection and are smoother in operation than any other rifle I've ever owned. I wouldn't trade either for anything Remington ever made period.
+1 what Blackheart said.....same story except mine is a Tikka model 695 in 270 Win. Easily one the most accurate and dependable rifles that I own.
Young fella that I hunt with and shoot with got a T3 in .270 for Christmas.

We've got an inexpensive 4X on it that's remarkably clear.

Tonight I had a few minutes b4 it was totally dark, actually used the lights of the F150 to help see the targ.

I had with me 3 groups of 140 Burgers to give a go. IMR 4831 went into .75", H4831 went into .89" and R17 went .59".

The triggers a bit rough but it still shoots.

A gun that averages .74" with 3 groups at dark in only the 2nd time to the ranges is good enough for me.

Dober
My brother used to be a gunsmith at a Beretta/Tikka/Sako/Remington warranty shop. He had one .25-06 T-3 come in that the guy had shot a .308 round through. He had to pick out pieces of brass from the bolt face that had been pressed in by the pressure that built up. Supposedly, the guy had actually hit the paper target at 100 yards with a very long re-sized bullet!

He replaced the extractor and the gun headspaced and worked just fine. There was another one with a similar story - wrong round in the gun. I am not as sure of the story on this one, but I think it was some form of larger diameter, shorter mag shot in a 7mm Rem. Same result - replaced the blown extractor and the gun worked fine. No barrel bulges, etc. In both cases, it was a result of shooting 2 different caliber rifles and leaving the ammo on the bench and not paying attention when grabbing a round.

That is one reason my brother owns 2 Tikkas and so do I. Accuracy and good triggers right out of the box are 2 more.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Young fella that I hunt with and shoot with got a T3 in .270 for Christmas.

We've got an inexpensive 4X on it that's remarkably clear.

Tonight I had a few minutes b4 it was totally dark, actually used the lights of the F150 to help see the targ.

I had with me 3 groups of 140 Burgers to give a go. IMR 4831 went into .75", H4831 went into .89" and R17 went .59".

The triggers a bit rough but it still shoots.

A gun that averages .74" with 3 groups at dark in only the 2nd time to the ranges is good enough for me.

Dober

That makes me want one in .270 grin
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
My brother used to be a gunsmith at a Beretta/Tikka/Sako/Remington warranty shop. He had one .25-06 T-3 come in that the guy had shot a .308 round through. He had to pick out pieces of brass from the bolt face that had been pressed in by the pressure that built up. Supposedly, the guy had actually hit the paper target at 100 yards with a very long re-sized bullet!

He replaced the extractor and the gun headspaced and worked just fine. There was another one with a similar story - wrong round in the gun. I am not as sure of the story on this one, but I think it was some form of larger diameter, shorter mag shot in a 7mm Rem. Same result - replaced the blown extractor and the gun worked fine. No barrel bulges, etc. In both cases, it was a result of shooting 2 different caliber rifles and leaving the ammo on the bench and not paying attention when grabbing a round.

That is one reason my brother owns 2 Tikkas and so do I. Accuracy and good triggers right out of the box are 2 more.

Accurate and strong and tough. What's not to like.
What's not to like

Plastic

Alright Swampy, here is a challenge for you. You bring the out of the box 700 of your choice up to the range and shoot it against my out of the box Tikka T3 at any range and target of your choice.

If your 700 out shoots or even shoots as good as my Tikka. I will give you the Tikka plus repay the purchase price of your 700.

Put up or shut up.

You would have more luck trying to impeach OBama than this assclown showing up to put his money where his mouth is.

FWIW one of my Tikkas is a 695 Whitetail in 7mag. Like Blackheart, 11 years and counting and it's extremely tough and unbelievablly accurate. That Remy/Tikka out of the box showdown is a mismatch.
You would have more luck trying to impeach OBama than this assclown showing up to put his money where his mouth is.

+1,000,000
I had a T3 synthetic in 338 Fed. that wouldn't shoot no matter what I did. I just got frustrated with it and it went down the road.

Would I buy another....prolly not.....but that is just me!!!

Many a member here has had great luck with the T3's.

I had a LH T3 Lite in 270WSM which was only average in accuracy (at best) and abysmally slow and it went down the road.

Would I buy another....prolly not.....but that is just me!!!

Many a member here has had great luck with the T3's.
I do like the FFII's!
Picked up a T3 light in 6.5x55 a year or so ago, never found a load that shot much over MOA. Settled on 140 Accubonds pushed to just over 2700 with R22. For kicks one day fired a 15 round string with minimal cooling, and the dang thing only opened up to 1 1/4". It impressed me pretty well plastic or no.

Also had one in 7RM for a bit, but traded it off. It was still an honest MOA shooter, just a touch more finicky than the 6.5. Probably should have held on to it as the new 7 in the safe is 700CDL. While being prettier, it demanded bedding, floating and much more load work to get to the same level of consistency and accuracy as the Tikka.
Great shootin' HBB! Another Tikka in the house, eh? Best factory rifle built, ALL things considered.
Originally Posted by yukonal
Great shootin' HBB! Another Tikka in the house, eh? Best factory rifle built, ALL things considered.

Yep, the Tikkas are, in my opinion, the most rifle you can get for the money.

700 out of the box can't run with it, THat is plain and simple

+1.I have the proof in the safe.The only rifle I have that will shoot with my T3(.25-06)is my Vanguard(.257 Weatherby).
I have a .270 that ate a .308 round and survived with nothing more than a cracked bolt shroud, and yes including the .308 round it still finished the group at under 1.5moa. Extremely accurate with the 110ttsx and vmax as well. I dont know if its fast or slow but it does about 3375fps with either of the 110 and Im not asking for anymore speed.
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I have a .270 that ate a .308 round and survived with nothing more than a cracked bolt shroud, and yes including the .308 round it still finished the group at under 1.5moa. Extremely accurate with the 110ttsx and vmax as well. I dont know if its fast or slow but it does about 3375fps with either of the 110 and Im not asking for anymore speed.

That is impressive performance.
Wonder if Swampy has ever seen a Glock ?
I love Glocks, but I don't want a plastic deer rifle.
I love Glocks, but I don't want a plastic deer rifle.

So it's a matter of aesthetics for you? I have no problem with that whatsoever (any more than I'd have a problem with somebody that prefers redheads over brunettes) but you often come across (intentionally or otherwise) as berating a rifle's quality/utility based on "plastic" components. Any love for Glocks on your part all but concedes a quality rifle need not be made of all metal and wood.
A pistol is a tool like a hammer, it can be ugly as long as it works 100% of the time. A deer rifle for me is not....it's a portal to the past....when this country was another kind of place. I have no interest in foreign made plastic deer rifles. The firearms industry is one of the few places where America still makes a better quality product than anyone else and I will continue to support it, esp. when that quality cost a lot less.
A pistol is a tool like a hammer, it can be ugly as long as it works 100% of the time. A deer rifle for me is not....it's a portal to the past....when this country was another kind of place. I have no interest in foreign made plastic deer rifles. The firearms industry is one of the few places where America still makes a better quality product than anyone else and I will continue to support it, esp. when that quality cost a lot less.

Not a darn thing wrong with the boldened part of your quote and you're hardly alone in this opinion. Go forth with your hunting and shooting with rifles that suit your taste and be happy.

The second part is a lot more gray, and forgive me, any opinion you hold otherwise doesn't make it a fact. In keeping things germane to this thread the Tikka brand has been stunningly successful in putting consistently accurate (sorry, I mean VERY accurate) rifles in the hands of shooters at very competitive prices. Has 100% of everyone that's ever picked one up swooned over them? No, but I've yet to hear such a thing from any standard production make...and I do mean any. Still, even the most cursory glance in most any shooting website will show great support of Tikka's accuracy and utility, so much so I need not even offer my opinion. (nevermind that I own a T3 SS Lite in .308 that would support that contention most robustly)

If they aren't your cup of tea so be it but there's no shortage of people that would fall over themselves to challenge you to an out of the box accuracy challenge between Tikka (among others) and your pet brand.
How many of you Tikka guys sit around and complain about how our economy is in the toilet because of all the companies that produce products overseas and deny jobs to American workers????? Myself, I don't subscribe to that line of thinking but many do. I have a friend who shoots a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. It is accurate and handles very well, but.....that sucker looks ugly to me. I wouldn't buy one for that reason but that's just my opinion and we all know about opinions. I can't believe that you guys still let Swampy get under your skin. Life is too short to let the dude get to you. I got to give old Swampman credit. He sure has a target rich environment here on these forums.
Being right all the time won't win you any popularlity contest...just ask Jesus Christ.
A pistol is a tool like a hammer,

That is how a view a rifle. Especially for us western hunters that sometimes have to wait years just to get a damn deer tag. I want it to perform, I don't want to baby a piece or wood, and blued metal.
Understood but the important metal parts should be metal, and the plastic parts plastic.
hey swampy,i just bought a ar15 lower made of plastic today. i'll put it in the safe with my tikka's and savages because all my remingtons did the same thing you are. they tucked there tails between there legs and ran.
Being right all the time won't win you any popularlity contest...just ask Jesus Christ.

Words you should consider yourself !!!
The fact that you'd own an AR tells me all I need to know.....pfffssst...
The fact that you'd own an AR tells me all I need to know.....pfffssst...

Again....who are you to tell what weapon someone should own ???
One with a lot of AR/M-16 experience.

The only thing you have wide experience with is bald face lying.
Guys lets stop feeding this [bleep] troll.

Air Farce experience at that

Name somebody more popular...
Yep killed for being right....very popular.

AMEN!

DFTFT
Get some Midol....
Damn took me 30 minutes to dry off my keyboard after spraying A Bombay G&T all over it.

Quote of the century:
"The firearms industry is one of the few places where America still makes a better quality product than anyone else "

Really? Ever been to:

67a Saint James's Street
London SW1A 1PH, United Kingdom

57 South Audley Street, London, UK

33 Bruton Street
London W1J 6HH, United Kingdom

403 East Ramsey, Suite 301 � San Antonio, TX 78216, USA

340 West Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT 06830 ???????

I thought not. You would be hard put to any rifle with machine checkering, railroad tie quality American Walnut, pot metal bottom metal, a paper clip for an extractor and accuracy that the factory claims, 2 MOA is fine in any of those places unless it was being used as a doorstop or as poster child for what never to buy.

One thing to disagree, IF YOU HAVE SOME FACTS, quite another to run off at the mouth when your standards equate a Ford Pinto with a Bugatti Veron.

I'd like to see you fix this with your 3 rings of steel, pot metal 700 30-06 !
You'ld be sent home in a zip-lock bag!

[Linked Image]

Just a general question, but have we ever seen any of Swampy's huge collection of incredible remingtons, the hundreds of sub MOA witnessed groups he shoots with them or photos of his trophy room bulging with top honor SCI trophies ?

Well have we .... punk ? Sorry Inspector Callahan.

They are all garbage.

Hundreds of thousands of elephants have been killed with lesser cartridges.

You are nothing little man....

You don't need a double gun from William Evans in London to kill an elephant. Also it is Veyron not Veron.

Swamp is old and knows little of anything, even Remingtons. He gives a decent-considering-price firearm way too much credit whnich shows his ignrance clearly. If he knew half of what he claims, he would never say the things he does. He can't even cite the 2 most common problems found with Kimbers when they fail to shoot (the way most expect) when honestly asked. He screws up every thread here because you feed him and he likes it. Most old people with dimentia are this way.

Leave him alone and he may eventually go away...One can hope since he [bleep] up every post in what would otherwise be a very informative and enjoyable forum.
Here to stay....the 2 most common problems with Kimbers are accuracy and price.
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

DFTFT
I've had you on ignore for months. Which troll (besides you) are you talking about?
Here to stay....the 2 most common problems with Kimbers are accuracy and price.

Yeah, I can see that if you don't like shooting bugholes in a package that other production rifles can't replicate. The price breakdown has been done before and the package is well worth the price.

Your "problem" with accuracy is that you lack basic skills...

George
BTW, you might want to take note of the fact that hillbillybear doesn't need to angle his pics or attempt to hide any fliers....er, fouling shots....in his photo.
Neither do I, nor did I.
For 1/3 the price you can get a better rifle and you won't have to wonder how it's gonna shoot, or know the magic handshake to get it to do so.

But hey after a trip (or two) back to Kimber it may be ok.
For 1/3 the price you can get a better rifle and you won't have to wonder how it's gonna shoot, or know the magic handshake to get it to do so.

But hey after a trip (or two) back to Kimber it may be ok.

Perhaps you need to pull up your shorts & give your mouth a chance.
Here's what 3 rings will do @200yds, 6mm Rem, Burris 6-24 Sig. 39.5grs H4895, 70MK. Just sayin'

Attached picture 2011-05-11-09013.jpg
That ONE group is impressive, but would never pass the Swampy test as "the world's most accurate rifle". Hate to say it but I have a Tikka 595 Super Sporter (that cost less than the pot metal 700) in 222 (never imported) that will shoot TEN shot groups like that all day every day with plain old 4198 and Sierra Benchresters.

Just to repeat (because Swampy NEVER answers DIRECT questions:)

1. He has never been to any of those gun shops and

2. Just a general question, but have we ever seen any of Swampy's huge collection of incredible Remingtons, the hundreds of sub MOA witnessed groups he shoots with them or photos of his trophy room bulging with top honor SCI trophies ?

He should retire from being a rifle expert and become an Obama advisor.... they share the same traits.

Guess he missed out that "Remington" isn't even building most of its guns anymore. DPMS. Bushmaster, Russia, Turkey and so on.

Come on big mouth we want PICTURES !
Originally Posted by gorskij
Here's what 3 rings will do @200yds, 6mm Rem, Burris 6-24 Sig. 39.5grs H4895, 70MK. Just sayin'

That's good shooting. Out of curiosity, did you have to do any work on the 700 out of the box to get it shooting right? Also, which variation of the 700 is you 6MM?
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

That is impressive performance.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...How_to_have_a_range_accident#Post2321057
© 24hourcampfire