Home
Title pretty much says it all. platform will be a Kimber 84m Montana. I like the 257 because of its "cool factor" and my general affection for "oddball" cartridges. just dont want to sell my self short. someone give me an education on the Roberts(vs.308) Thanks fellas!
Go Rob u won't be disappointed,It's all you'll ever need wink
For whitetails only?......Then imo, go the 257.
Deer and 25 calibers is the ultimate proof of God's existence.
A cold draft at Hooters after buildin tanks in 100 degrees or so for ten hours is proof of gods existence... for deer go Bob....
Yep.

Quarterbores rule for deer, and the Bob rules the quarterbores.

It is deer hunting nirvana.

Praise the Lord and pass the .257
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
A cold draft at Hooters after buildin tanks in 100 degrees or so for ten hours is proof of gods existence...

Amen!!!

I'd go the Bob, or better yet if you want cool factor .250-3000.
I like the way you think taylorce1...... maybe 250 AI?
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I like the way you think taylorce1...... maybe 250 AI?
Only if it's twisted 1 in 3 and shoots a 6" long bullet with a BC of 8.999. Never know when you might have to whack one from 1800 yards in a stiff crosswind.
Remember reading an article by some fairly respected writer (whose name escapes me) back a few decades ago who put all the factors together and came up with the conclusion that the .308 is the perfect whitetail caliber.

John Wooters - the name finally came to me.

Of course, that was in the days of cup and core. Now he'd probably say the .204 Ruger with monometals is where it's at. wink
I'll be the loan vote for the 308!
.308.....make it two.
+1....so make it 3. Nothing wrong with the Bob though.
A Mr.Bob or a Sir Bob AI, but in reality with the modern +P loads or hand loading the Mr. Bob you will get close to the AI, mine and my son's favorite loads for deer in our AI's is 100gr partitions, and for bigger game, Elk it is the 115 or 120gr partitions. A fun gun to shoot all day because of the lack of recoil compared to a .308, which is a fine cartridge, but you said just for deer!!!
Bob
Make it 4 for the .308.
Another vote for Bob...all you need for deer.
Never owning a Bob Im taking the 308 vote to 5
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...the .308 is the perfect whitetail caliber.

The .308 or '06 would be my choices for all around North American rifle, but for whitetails alone the Bob seems perfect.

I have to admit that I look at the .308 the way I do the '06... too perfect for the rifleman who wants to justify owning other rifles... I mean seriously... if you have one of these you don't really "need" anything... of course I have 2 '06s but no .308s and do in fact intend to rectify that...

That is to say, you couldn't go wrong either way.
I've got both, a Kimber .308 and a Ruger .257. Only way of improving my setup is if the .257 was in the Kimber.
This resounding vote for the 257 gives me confidence. I have two but have yet to take a deer with that cartridge. I've cut back on my deer rifles to play with handguns and just have the 257s and my 30-06. The 308 just never turned my crank.
I've killed several deer with my .257, and dad has killed a pile more with his, from 30 yards to 200+. No issues. I have yet to bloody my Kimber .308 and plan on it this year. I have all the confidence in the world in it, I just don't get worked up on the .308 for some reason.
Originally Posted by efw
The .308 or '06 would be my choices for all around North American rifle, but for whitetails alone the Bob seems perfect.

I have to admit that I look at the .308 the way I do the '06... too perfect for the rifleman who wants to justify owning other rifles... I mean seriously... if you have one of these you don't really "need" anything... of course I have 2 '06s but no .308s and do in fact intend to rectify that...

That is to say, you couldn't go wrong either way.

Going off on a slight sidebar�

For years a LH Model 700 BDL .30-06 with a Leupold 4x or 3-9 was my go to for everything. I liked the stock fit, rifle balance, everything. Things come and go and I found myself without one, although owning four other .30-06�s. Kept thinking I ought to just go back to my ol� bread and butter 700 BDL �06.

But I have a LH M700 BDL in .308, and when I look at it I think � what does an �06 really do that I can�t do with the .308? Before the newer bullets the 180 Nosler Partition at 2750 fps was what I used for everything, now a TSX 150 at 2850 or, if I want to go �heavy�, a TSX 165 at 2700 will do the exact same thing � same or slightly better trajectory out to 300, hits as hard and the .308 kicks less.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Getting older and less recoil proof, and having a nice .250 AI (aka Shorter Bob) to play with, I�d vote for the .257 Roberts. It kicks even less than a 308.
If your aspiring to be considered a rifle loony,your failing.You need atleast one of everything(but not neccessarily forever) and sometimes 2 or 3 of rifles chambered for the same cart is not excessive. Your question is comparing apples to oranges, you need both they are not the same. If you doubt this? Do you just drink one brand or style of beer? See I told you so. Repent your personal stinginess sins and go forth and stimulate the economy.Last I heard you can't take it with and you sure don't need people at your funeral saying he was a cheap bastard "only left one rifle" my 2 cts worth. Magnum Man
The deer ain't gonna know the difference, so go with whichever makes you happy. Mine'd probably be the .257, but in a classic, not Montana; nice walnut is one of the requirements for my "cool factor". It just don't seem right to put a .257 Roberts or .250 Savage in a synthetic stock.
I've had several .308s in different flavors..liked most of them.
BUT..I've been pondering this very thing for QUITE some time...and as of now am getting all my $$chitt together to have RedNeck rebarrel my model 70 ttttoooooooo....257 Roberts.
Rite after I get my stock from McMillan. grin
I have a montana in 308 and a select classic in 257. I find myself shooting the bob way more. I don't know why as it doesn't shoot quite as well as the 308. Both kill deer very well.
Originally Posted by deg967
BUT..I've been pondering this very thing for QUITE some time...and as of now am getting all my $$chitt together to have RedNeck rebarrel my model 70 ttttoooooooo....257 Roberts.

Been thinkin' along those same lines myself. What contour barrel and what flavor of stock are you going with?
Either one, pick the one you lean towards the most. I've killed deer with both, I couldn't tell a difference (dead is dead), and as someone posted above, "the deer won't know the difference".
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by deg967

Been thinkin' along those same lines myself. What contour barrel and what flavor of stock are you going with?

Jim..going to stay with factory contour, in a PacNor. Stock will be the Featherwight style McMillan offers but with the Edge Technology (graphite) for my Long Action 70. grin
.256 gibbs magnum///??? If your a real rifle nut! I know where you can snag a mannlicher stocked specimen!
Bob.
Of the two mentioned, I'd go Rbts.

If given my choice, then it'd be a quick twist 243 AI..grin

Dober

What was the question again?
Thinking back on the last dozen whitetails I've shot, the ones that collapsed in the shortest order were taken with 120gr Partitions from a .257 Roberts. I think the Bob and the .260 are perfect for trim, little deer rifles.
Of the two cals. mentioned I lean toward the Three Hundred and Eight Winchester. grin
Lapua brass....Scenar bullets.
Scenar, I like your sig line.... I thought luck was opportunity meeting a prepared mind grin
It's about way more than whacking whitetails, as both do a great job of putting venison in the freezer. It's the "cool factor" and other non-tangeables that can't be described, only experienced. Go with that warm fuzzy feeling. And one will probably light one's fire more than the other. That's the one...!

Easy choice...

DF
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Title pretty much says it all. platform will be a Kimber 84m Montana. I like the 257 because of its "cool factor" and my general affection for "oddball" cartridges. just dont want to sell my self short. someone give me an education on the Roberts(vs.308) Thanks fellas!

I have a Kimber in both calibers, the major difference when you shoot a deer is that the 308 kicks more.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Let us see some whitetail deer you've shot
Used both and deer seem to die equally well with both. I'm a 257 guy at heart though.
.308. Will do no less than the 257, only more.
For a deer rifle, definitely go with the Roberts. .308 would be good if you were planning to mix in some elk/moose hunting.
Anyone use a Ruger No.1 in .257?
There isn't a thing wrong with the Roberts but I would go for the .308 personally.
OP - go with the Bob and whoever inherits the Kimber will be more appreciative then if it was a 308. grin
I own and shoot both and have killed a bunch of deer with both. I enjoy shooting the 257, but mostly for varmints. Seldom use it for deer, anymore. I'd go for the 308. It might depend on how you hunt.
Bfly
Originally Posted by Steelhead

smile
I would go 308, but that's just me. Either one is going to kill whitetails fine.
I'd go 257. Along the lines of even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile, I recently acquired a 250AI. It is in a 1948 Model 70 with a pretty nice piece of wood and a Shilen barrel. My 257AI may get a rest this year.

Do they die different?
+1 for this. The idea of a "classic" .257Roberts in a "classic" deep blue/Walnut satin finish rifle. To me, congers images of wool plaid hunting coats and the buck tied to the fender of a 1954 Pontiac Chieftan wagon my uncle had. Granted he did not have a Roberts but a 336 Marlin(that he still hunts with to this day BTW) but I digress.

What are some thoughts on the perfect "Classic" deer rifle chambered in the .257Roberts?

Do they die different?

How the [bleep] would you know...
Originally Posted by inland44
+1 for this. The idea of a "classic" .257Roberts in a "classic" deep blue/Walnut satin finish rifle. To me, congers images of wool plaid hunting coats and the buck tied to the fender of a 1954 Pontiac Chieftan wagon my uncle had. Granted he did not have a Roberts but a 336 Marlin(that he still hunts with to this day BTW) but I digress.

What are some thoughts on the perfect "Classic" deer rifle chambered in the .257Roberts?

[Linked Image]
I'd rather have a .308 because it's cheaper to shoot, and you can buy ammo in the stores.
Choose the more powerful 308 Winchester because:

1. Ammo is readily available.
2. Deer will suffer less.
3. Cartridge is a USA military round.
257 Roberts if you keep the shots under 78 yards.
They suffer less with the 257 if you shoot them not just "in the ribs" but through the part of the ribs leading to the heart and lungs.

But it's still not a military cartridge so you can't say "Die Osama bin Odocoileus" when you squeeze off that "in the ribs" shot and clip the rear edge of the liver.
.308 is better because I said so.
I only have five 308's I can think of real quick, so I can't argue too much. grin
laughin'!

You forgot about ammo though, not sure if you can even buy 257 Roberts ammo in town. Probably can find a dusty box in the one sporting goods store but just in case I like to keep an extra 200 or 300 rounds loaded up.
For those sub 78 yard Obsama bin whitetails.......grin
308 shooting 150-165s. Very minimal recoil.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Go with the .308 if you plan to shoot one in the rear shoulder from a golf cart.

Amen to that, @ 79 yds you're fubar should of gone 308 to limit the suffering.... shocked

Dober
Go with the .308 if you plan to shoot one in the rear shoulder from a golf cart.

No, that takes a 30-06 and a 180 Core Lokt.
I've gotta admit, even though I put in my vote for the 257, I'm planning on doing a lot of my hunting this year with a new .308win. I can't see either being a bad choice, although I must pick between my red/black Mackinaw with Mad Bomber or my ghillie suit with drag bag, depending on which rifle I tote that day......
I'm having a 20" bbl 243 put together this week. What's the fubar distance for that one?
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
257 ROBERTS vs.308 WIN for whitetail only hunting

Yes.

I roll with the 308. But go with what makes you happy.
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm having a 20" bbl 243 put together this week. What's the fubar distance for that one?

An 80gr TTSX at 3,350 should be good to at least 90yds. grin

I've got a handful of parts coming together for a Faux-Ti type of 243AI. Pondering 21" or 22", but it may be after I get done building tower stands and planting fall food plots before I see how much extra jingle I've got left for the gun fund.....
If a person doesn't handload I can certainly see where readily available ammo could make all the difference....but how many here shoot factory ammo?
Sounds like a cool project JPro.
An 80gr TTSX at 3,350 should be good to at least 90yds.

But will there be suffering when I shoot a deer "in the ribs", whatever that means?
Good point. Better let him alone so he can be peacefully eaten alive by predators when he's old and feeble.
I've got a handful of parts coming together for a Faux-Ti type of 243AI.

Mine isn't a lightweight, it's more of a standard weight handy-dandy for tight blinds.

It started out as a 20" bbl. 7mm-08 700 Youth stuck into an H&S sporter stock, both gunshow finds at good prices. But the barrel turned out to be a fouling bitch that also had a curve to the left. After dialing in enough horizontal correction it shot really great for a few rounds, until it fouled and/or got hot.

I put the rifle in the closet last year and kind of forgot about it. Yesterday I went to a local guy's shop with a couple of small projects, so I brought Old Tomato Stake along. He happened to have a new SPS take off in 243 and made me a deal to put it on my rifle.

New take off 243 barrel, lap in bolt lugs, set back the barrel so the writing lines up and min. headspace chamber, trim barrel to 20" and cut recessed 11 degree crown for $145.

So now I'm going to dispense some 6mm suffering this year. grin
That should work. A 20" with handloads will likely be about even with a 22" fed factory stuff, which is plenty fast to dispense adequate suffering.
Do you think it will look funny if I fit it with a 2.5-10x56mm Nikon Gold I have sitting around? I may want to dispense some suffering 29min. and 59 sec. after it's officially dark. grin
Yes, it will look funny. Go for it.....
Split the difference and get the best of both worlds...a 7mm-08 laugh If .25 and .308 were my only choices, I would go .308. If you need a blood trail, the .308 will give you one. Having been privy to several .257 Roberts and .308 kills, they don't always bang flop with the .25 Bob and the bullet doesn't always exit. White tails love to do the death dash and are generally in thick brush, which can make the "finding" very difficult. I would again go with .308. Flinch
Caution should be observed, if you pull the trigger on a .257 Roberts it might kill all the deer in the valley.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Choose the more powerful 308 Winchester because:

1. Ammo is readily available.
2. Deer will suffer less.
3. Cartridge is a USA military round.

1. anybody with a computer can order all the .257 Roberts ammo they want. Cabelas in Gonzales had three flavors when I was there yesterday. Most Academy's have some if you get stuck. Most whitetails are not shot in some remote wilderness area, so ammo availability isn't much of an issue.

2.is a function of placement and bullet, not caliber.

3.you planning on borrowing ammo from a sniper or machine gunner? it's going to be FMJ, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

for whitetails only, Roberts, hands down.

For whitetails: .257 Roberts.
Why not just get a 223? If you really want "oddball" don't go for standard chamberings. I don't see anything "cool" about a cartridge that is older than most of us here on this forum. I'd call it "old school".
Whitetail deer don't take much killing.

I've taken WT with both the 257 and 308. Pick the one that speaks to you and pile up dead deer.

For the most part, I'd say rifles speak to me more than the cartridges they are chambered for. With that being said, there are some cartridges that just don't interest me, and it would take a mighty sexy rifle to convince me to bring home another .270.

Nothing wrong with the cartridge, I just can't fall in love with it, no matter how much sense it makes. There are others, like the .284 Winchester, I have never felt the desire to own, in spite of a penchant for favoring cartridges that are "not your common choices."
I have a Bob, a .250 Sav, and several .308's. A Sav 99 in .308 goes deer hunting with me. My last two deer were 8 points. One 70yd and the other a measured 313yd. Both were shot high and dropped in their tracks with the 99 in .308.
With the .308 any cup & core will do. The .257 will require gay, mono-metal, & expensive bullets.

But have if you're into wasting money to get the jod done the .257 may be for you.
The .257 will require gay, mono-metal, & expensive bullets.

BS
That one was especially funny!
That one was especially funny!

Spoken by someone with no experience!

If 700 is agin-it I'm fer it.
257 Roberts all the way. Nothing at all wrong with a 308, but it ain't a bit better for whitetails than the 257. YMMV
Sure nuff the .257 should be fitted with a youth stock to suit the feminine frames of those for whom it's most suited.

Originally Posted by Swampman700
Sure nuff the .257 should be fitted with a youth stock to suit the feminine frames of those for whom it's most suited.

Having seen your picture, that's pretty funny!
I have one old man, and like it, do you suggest my frame is feminine?
With the .308 any cup & core will do. The .257 will require gay, mono-metal, & expensive bullets.

But have if you're into wasting money to get the jod done the .257 may be for you.

More Bull !!!
The .257 will require gay, mono-metal, & expensive bullets.

BS

+1

My .25-06 kills deer just fine with 117-120 grain Sierras. I usually don't respond to Swampy, but even 100 grain Remington Core Lokt bullets put pronghorn down easily.
He's just hiding behind the internet, stirring [bleep].
Gay bullets.....

This guy cracks me up!
He's just hiding behind the internet, stirring [bleep].

Yes. He needs to get a life.
The Roberts kills better than it should.....

You make these posts as though you-yourself are longing for male-feminine bonding. I am not saying you are, but you certainly seem preoccupied with it.

FWIW, the 308 is just better overall.
We need to get this thing settled - forget the .257 RBTS and the .308 WIN - I learned right here on the Campfire (from Ingwe) that the only round that really rates is the .270 WIN.
Now who's stirring it? laugh
Originally Posted by Odessa
We need to get this thing settled - forget the .257 RBTS and the .308 WIN - I learned right here on the Campfire (from Ingwe) that the only round that really rates is the .270 WIN.

Get a .30-06 and be done with it. Nobody will wonder about your orientation then.
.257 Roberts feminine? gay bullets? WTF is wrong with you now Swampy, did you run out of your own bathwater to drink, or are partaking of someone elses these days? Have you and your bathtub literati buddies run out of things to talk about so you decide to come over and piss on someone elses parade and BTW have you ever considered using non-gender or lifestlye based adjectives, or are you really that clueless, offensive, and ignorant?
Get a life.
JMHO
Are you gonna cry?
The Roberts can take you far and fast in hunting. For deer only, you can be set for the rest of your years. Load some 100gr Horn Interlocks, Partitions or even TTSX's and never look back.
Have both and my .257 is still a deer virgin, dammit!

Keep trying to change that but the elk come first and the Bob doesn't get carried until one is down. Works great on antelope, though.
I've noticed in this and other threads that the 100 gr bullets seem to be favored over the 117s or 115 partitions. Are there clear advantages to using the 100?

Thanks,
Dave
I wouldn't think there's much difference. 117's shoot better in my Bob so that's what I load.

Swampturd is obviously trolling.

Anybody that thinks there's alot of difference between a 117 at 2900fps(Roberts) and a 140 at 2950(270 Win) is a dumbass.

And anybody that doesn't think the 270 Winchester is the perfect deer round is an even bigger dumbass......grin
The .270 Winchester is fine. It doesn't need gay expensive mono-metal bullets to do the job and you can actually walk into a store and buy ammo for $14.95 a box. In the middle of nowhere ordering ammo online and getting it delivered in time to hunt the next morning is tricky.

And anybody that doesn't think the 270 Winchester is the perfect deer round is an even bigger dumbass......grin

Sammo.....its just like my hunting buddy always says...

" You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...."

You have obviously started..... grin
I was hoping you'd see that one Tom!

laughin'

Originally Posted by ingwe
Sammo.....its just like my hunting buddy always says...

" You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...."
You're a brave man, to hunt with Adair... grin
What's considered the morning exactly?.... grin

Well, if anyone knows gay, it would be you.

115 NBTs have worked fine in my Roberts. I didn't even have to gay it up with a TSX.
The .270 Winchester is fine. It doesn't need gay expensive mono-metal bullets to do the job and you can actually walk into a store and buy ammo for $14.95 a box. In the middle of nowhere ordering ammo online and getting it delivered in time to hunt the next morning is tricky.

swamp turkey

another name for a hoodrat or dungeon monkey.......or an old women that lays around the neighborhood waiting for sex and is usually on crack.....

Congrats again Swampy. You just keep throwing that stink bait out there and reel in the suckers. Too funny. You sure have a target rich environment here. Lot's of slow studies out there. Carry on.

Who waits til the day before to "order" bullets?..and in the middle of nowhere? how you do that ? I think we have our answer already.. laugh it would be you. Use your vast knowledge you spew here on the fire and LOAD your own and/or BUY some AHEAD of time...then learn to shoot. Apparently your pills have kicked in cause you just let everyone see you trip over your own gay tongue. laugh dumbass

Yep, those Hornady Interlock bullets sure are expensive...
But they must be gay. Which means other cup and core bullets are gay. It all obviously points back to Tom...
In the middle of nowhere ordering ammo online and getting it delivered in time to hunt the next morning is tricky.

Stockpiling powder and primers ain't.
In the middle of nowhere ordering ammo online and getting it delivered in time to hunt the next morning is tricky.

Geezusss..... Making an intelligent comment for you seems to be tricky enough. BTW,what exactly is your definition of the "middle of nowhere" . When did they install a wi-fi hotspot and cell tower there? I suppose your going to tell us there is also a coffee bar. Glad it's not on my bucket list of places to hunt, sounds too busy for me. I'll wager that checking to make sure you had your ammo packed with your weapon escaped you, didn't it.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Yep, those Hornady Interlock bullets sure are expensive...

Yep, I hear ya...I believe they were all of about $16.oo for a hundred count box, last time I looked...good thing folks like'em for puttin deer down quick..may not sell'em otherwise grin
I didn't want to get in, but....it's too hot (weather) to go out. First, I always wanted a 257I, on a Mexican Mauser, to hunt small Hill Country whiteyails, and the occasional exotic. A huge buck will weigh under 200lbs live weight. Shots are seldom over 200yds. If your hunting conditions mirrow these, I think the 257 is a great choice. My opinions on the perfect deer caliber/ cartridge is 7mm, in either the 7-08, or the coolest of them all the 7x57. That said, if shots are on really large deer or shots are longer, I'd go with the 308. capt david
While not a 257 Bob, I've shot and seen a schittload of whitetails shot with a 243 and 30-06. The ONLY difference I can tell is the size of the entrance hole, which really doesn't matter. So my suggestion is that you'll win either way.
I've got to throw my vote in for the .308. It's just the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe. My Kimber 84M is the one gun I wouldn't be without. I've owned MANY 308's and never been disappointed with any. Although, a BLR did tax my patience for a while.

Of course, if a Kimber Bob popped up available when I had the coinage.....
I really like the 308 but I would go with the 257 Roberts. You are hunting deer only and using a rifle that weighs 5lbs. The Roberts will be just as effective on whitetails and more pleasant on the shoulder. I have a Kimber Select in 257 Roberts and it's a joy to carry and shoot.
None of it is hard (though sometimes I can make it that way), but the .308 is a lot easier! I like your platform!

OCC,
Welcome back!
308 Winchester. I like heavier bullets.
OCC,
Welcome back!

Thanks! Feels good to be back! Brings some normalcy back to my life.. wink
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
OCC,
Welcome back!

If it's the Auburn "Tigers"........What is this "War Eagle" business? I don't get what a War Eagle and a Tiger have in common. crazy What is a War Eagle anyway? Sorry for the temporary thread hijack.
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
OCC,
Welcome back!

If this place brings you normalcy, I'd hate to see where you've been! Anyways, Welcome back!
Noted Whitetail biologist Dr. James C. Kroll sets the criteria thus:
1-A bullet weighting at least 140 grains.
2-Velocity approx. 3,000 fps.

He considers the 257 marginal but acceptible.

I believe he uses a 7 mm magnum, 140 gr. bullet.
Originally Posted by scoutman

Huh...Pretty sure he'd have a few disagree with him

Even a Dr. Can be stupid.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Even a Dr. Can be stupid.

The problem with earning a Doctorate, is that "academia" has so much time and opportunity to fill your head with horse$hyte like the marginal capabilities of the .257 on Whitetails, and the necessity of a 7mm Rem Mag for same.
I think you choise would depend on your hunting style. I've killed alot of deer over the years with about 20 different cartridges including the 308 and the 257.

If most of your hunting is stand hunting or spot and stalk where you have the time to pick your shot the 257 would be perfect. I personaly use a 250 Sav and a 250 clone wildcat for that type of hunting.

If your more of a still hunter or tracker(Bennoit style) a 308 with a heavy bullet is the ticket, you have to be able to reach vitals from any direction and the shooting can get fast and usualy in heavier cover so I like something that exits. My mainstays for years were a Sav 99 308/180RN's (my nephew carries it now), a Bolt Carbine 30-06/220RN's (stolen from a buddy while bear hunting). I now relie on a Sav 99 375 Win and a 35 Whelen with a 358 Win carbine in the works to replace the 35 Whelen.

Erich
I like both cartridges a lot, but for just whitetail, the 257 Bob will do anything you need it to with a lot less recoil.
257 all the way. Have a montana in 257 that is the perfect whitetail rifle. No wrong can be done there.

Dr. James C. Kroll does not know his ass from a hole in the ground.
Originally Posted by fatjack34

[Linked Image]

But I use a .308 for whitetail. grin

Originally Posted by jimmyp

If that is the criteria, I don't have a whitetail rifle. Even rifles like my 338 Federal and 9.3x62 won't kill deer since they don't meet the 3,000 fps requirement. I guess it's time to buy a magnum.
Both...just picked up a Winchester Model 100 pre-64 in .308 and a Ruger No.1 in .257!
I killed my first deer in 1949 with a .257 Rbts [desert mule deeer] 2010 whitetail with a .308 In the intervening decades I've killed more than some ungulates on a couple of continents with more than fifteen different cartridges. My experience is if you shoot'em in the chest they all work well, if you shoot'em in the butt, not so much.
I'd rather have a .308 because it's cheaper to shoot, and you can buy ammo in the stores.

not everyone's hunting supplies and equipment revolve around what Walmart is carrying this season....
Originally Posted by Seafire

not everyone's hunting supplies and equipment revolve around what Walmart is carrying this season....

Seafire~ apparently you missed the part where "swampy" informed everyone he Orders his ammo the Day BEFORE a hunt laugh
Originally Posted by 308ld

[Linked Image]

grin

DANG!

Thats a nice antelope for MA.!!! laugh

Pretty slick to take him with a proper rifle too...Kudos.... cool
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 308ld

[Linked Image]

grin

DANG!

Thats a nice antelope for MA.!!! laugh

Pretty slick to take him with a proper rifle too...Kudos.... cool

Pretty sure that one would have been at the top of the pile for MA grin, but it was dispatched just a little north of Malta MT. Usually head that way during the hunting season to visit family.
I thought that country looked familiar..... whistle
Originally Posted by badshot257
Originally Posted by jimmyp

If that is the criteria, I don't have a whitetail rifle. Even rifles like my 338 Federal and 9.3x62 won't kill deer since they don't meet the 3,000 fps requirement. I guess it's time to buy a magnum.

I'm sure this news will come as a great relief to the hundreds of millions of whitetails who mistakenly thought they were dead after being shot with .30-30s, .32 Specials, .300 savages, .35 Remingtons, .303s, Krags......well, you get the picture.

The doc are an ass, I am thinkin'
Well I vote for the 257 Bob. I shoot a 6.5 x 55 a lot so this whole thread is nothing more than its the end of July and unless you live in Alaska, hunting season dose not start for another month and a half. I'M including a spring a string and a sharp stick ( that would be bows for those of you in Rio Linda). I see that we are all Bored, this summer is almost over and Fall will be here soon enough. The Bob is a hand Loaders thing these days but lay in 500 cases and you are going to be set for your life time. Ammo it not the issue here, there is not to much in the way of Big Game hunting in North America were you would be at a disadvantage by shooting a Bob, I can think of only two were I would want more gun, and in those two cases I would want at least a .30-06.

Yes, I do own a Ruger No.1-A in a .257 Roberts.
I also own an Encore in a .308 Win. The Encore 308 was my go to rifle for 8 years.
Then I bought the No.1-A .257 Roberts and it has become my go to rifle.
Why? Well it's cool to watch the bullet impact.
257 is high cool factor, accurate, light recoil.
308 is far more flexible, lots of cheap surplus ammo and has a zero cool factor, sorta like the 30-06 that all the experts know is a worthless obsolete cartridge.

My 257 is a Cooper AI.
My 308 a DPMS tactical door buster.
06's a Browning Safari, Model 70, pre WW I 1903 Springfield (original) and Rem 721B.

All work just fine and will kill any Whitetail that walks the earth.

Oddly the 721B draws the most attention: (yup factory wood)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those photo's almost look real..
The truth is, 308 vs 257 ain't never gonna make a nickels worth of diffence. Shoot what you like.
Upset eh RD, those emails from OT get your attention ?

Mr. "Last Troll not on ignore"

Yeah the photos are fakes, everyone has a resident artist to paint a stock picture to fool you.

Just like this one:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

or this one

[Linked Image]

or this one

[Linked Image]

or these TWO

[Linked Image]

Let's see what you got Troll !

Haven't gotten one email from OT. Should I have ?

There is no bigger fan of the 7 mag than me...that said,I'm sure he knows what he likes....but his criteria excludes things like a 270 Win,the 7x57 and 7/08,the 6.5x55,and many loads,both factory and handloads, for the 280 Remington;as well as the 257 and 25/06.

Need I say more?

As to the 308 and 257,a rifleman will get it done with either one.
Serial liar troll

If we need to do anything important, we'll just use one of the 52 virgin I.D.s and by the time you Trolls have figured it out, it will be to late to do anything..

There RD (aka last Troll not on ignore) fixed it for you.

Simple solution to issue raised by OP:

www.schmidtbender.com
You have 9065 oportunities to find a lie.......you won't. laffin
Maybe you should wipe the Vaseline, or KY, off the lense of that camera you're using (or line the books up better on your Canon/printer/scanner)....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
goodiewrench
Campfire Regular

That might be the highest number of posts by a banned person at the Campfire.....

Why are Trolls all so stupid ? It's a Nikon dolt and the only KY I've heard of is that on your butt when you you play "push in my stool" with your butt buddies.
Nor would a photo look like those if the lens were smeared with you KY.
It would look like this (as any fool who can run Photoshop would know)

[Linked Image]

Really is driving you nuts that I now have a written confession from your buddy over at OT as to who modified my avatar and posts and exactly why he did it.

NOW, lets see some of your vast collection of rifles with exceptional wood or, in fact, any pictures of anything. Or offer something fact based on the 257 or 308 since that is the thread topic, Mr only Troll not on ignore.

Of course it's not the highest post count of any use I.D. actually banned. Another demonstartion of your double digit I.Q. (as is your love of Steiner crap.)
NOBODY had over 30,000 posts and he here and as alive as you or me.

Now go away and stop pirating threads.
Lets see some pics of you actually holding some (any of them) of those rifles.....laffin

I've posted my rifles here many times over....Remingtons, Coopers, Kimbers, several Hart customs, Carolina Precision custom 300 WM, several Beretta Gallery O/U's.......still waiting for you to find a single lie though......

Hey, do you ever send yourself PM's through your other account names ?
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Why are Trolls all so stupid ?

Since YOU are the biggest troll to grace the campfire, perhaps you can explain your stupidity.

Yeah, I am sure you will come back with "Ignoring this user" as you can not deal with the truth and reality.

Poor little oldkunt Lawrence Root couldn't keep up nor best me via our PM pissing match. Infuriated her how I called her bluff and pointed out her lies.

Made her infamous "hit and run" PM, then deletes herself from the PM and places me on ignore. Although we all know she's a COWARD, she will still toggle this post. wink

Truth hurts doesn't it oldgirl.

Just keep this in the forefront of your imbecilic little troll mind.. should you saddle up and find the sack to make good on your threat of physical violence against me you have made via PM, remember anyone who is willing to travel hundreds of miles cross country under threat of violence to me is seriously demented and poses a threat I'm prepared to deal with in a very serious manner.

Not a threat, that's a promise sugarbritches.
Oh I get, like the terrorists showing a hostage holding a dated newspaper?

Look RD, you know and I know those are all my rifles, if you can PROVE otherwise have at it. Otherwise STFU and stop pirating the OPs thread.
You are ignore Mikey, but I read your post just to see the lies.

No body threatened you, in fact you and the other Trolls have sent me two death threats and several "we're coming to straighten you out" ones.

Typically Internet dolts who think because they are on a computer nobody can identify them.

You're so brave but you are accepting no PMs ....... a real tough guy !

Now go back in your Troll cave and let the adults discuss 257 & 308 as deer rifles.
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
You are ignore Mikey, but I read your post just to see the lies.

No body threatened you, in fact you and the other Trolls have sent me two death threats and several "we're coming to straighten you out" ones.

Typically Internet dolts who think because they are on a computer nobody can identify them.

You're so brave but you are accepting no PMs ....... a real tough guy !

Now go back in your Troll cave and let the adults discuss 257 & 308 as deer rifles.

You just love to perpetually bump your gums don't you oldgirl?

[Linked Image]

First I'm supposedly "Chuck", and now I'm supposedly "Mike". Just goes to prove that you're perpetually bumping your head (along with your gums) and unable to connect a dot. Be sure and open your filthy yap all the way, so as to get both your little troll feet firmly in there.

Some "IT Pro" you've turned out to be! You must have gotten your certification from a box of crackerjacks. I already clued you in that unless you have Administrative access, you're not able to find out another users IP address on a UBB message board. You dolt.

No need to PM me Lawrence. Since you love to administer "hit and run" PM's and then delete yourself from the PM and place folks on ignored, I figured anything else you felt compelled to yammer about should be best viewed on the open forum.

Do continue with your lies and false allegations. You are not the only one that's "growing files". <rolling eyes>
Back to MY original topic. 308 is the winner! Local store had a 84m classic select marked down to $999.99 from 1249.99. Beautiful wood. So i put $500 down on layaway and I'll be picking it up sometime in September! Thanks for all the input guys!
Great choice!
257 Bob with 100gr TSXs will kill anything in my neck of the woods quite well.

Second from left

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by captdavid
I didn't want to get in, but....it's too hot (weather) to go out. First, I always wanted a 257I, on a Mexican Mauser, to hunt small Hill Country whiteyails, and the occasional exotic. A huge buck will weigh under 200lbs live weight. Shots are seldom over 200yds. If your hunting conditions mirrow these, I think the 257 is a great choice. My opinions on the perfect deer caliber/ cartridge is 7mm, in either the 7-08, or the coolest of them all the 7x57. That said, if shots are on really large deer or shots are longer, I'd go with the 308. capt david

+1 for the 7x57 Mauser. Fits right in the middle between .308 Win and the .257 Bob. Love mine and after all it is the parent cartridge to the .257 Bob.
Originally Posted by CascadeJinx
Originally Posted by captdavid

+1 for the 7x57 Mauser. Fits right in the middle between .308 Win and the .257 Bob. Love mine and after all it is the parent cartridge to the .257 Bob.

Compelling but it ain't gonna fit in a short action Kimber.
.308 excellent..
. I have killed deer with both and as someone said. The deer will not argue the difference but I am a bit more partial to the 257 just because I have more experience with it as I got one of. 700 classics when they first came out. It appealed to me then because I wanted a combo deer groundhog rifle. I've had one ever since. Only had the308 for about5 yrs and like it very much but for deer sized game the Roberts is more than enough.

Oops should have read all the way thru the posts. Actually I almost said I like them both enough to take the best deal. You did good , a year or so a go there was a beautiful Kimber 308 at a LGS and it was like a case of rabies I had to chain myself to a tree to let the fever pass. It was a beautiful rifle I can still close my eyes an see that walnut stock .
308 hands down!
Originally Posted by efw

Seems perfect for whitetail because it IS perfect for whitetail.

It's what keeps me from using my 270s.
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I've noticed in this and other threads that the 100 gr bullets seem to be favored over the 117s or 115 partitions. Are there clear advantages to using the 100?

Usually 100gr Hornadys. Here's why .....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This fine little buck had the misfortune to cross a trail I was watching. He was about 40yds out, turned to look at me with his mouth open and caught one in the back of the throat.

[Linked Image]

You never disappoint, you're still a retard!

Still holds true, even if from 2011!
Deer and 25 calibers is the ultimate proof of God's existence.

That's good funny
I suppose the best answer for this age-old (2011) question is to pick the .257 bob, if you can't find a .250 savage.
Have shot deer with both the Bob and 308. Both are excellent and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.
Personally, I'd split the difference and go 7mm-08. Which is, IMO, the perfect whitetail cartridge.
.308 for the win.
With that light rifle the Bob should have a little less recoil. So that could tweak the coin flip slightly away from the .308 Win., IMO.

Go with a .260! wink
© 24hourcampfire