Home
Would you buy one of the new remington 700 ss mountain rifle. From the pictures i have seen they are good looking gun. 6.5 pounds sounds like a pleasure to carry with a aftermarket stock.
If you really want a light rifle, for the money, I'd get a newer model used Kimber and save another pound.

Ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Waders
If you really want a light rifle, for the money, I'd get a newer model used Kimber and save another pound.

Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain.

[Linked Image]

Is that your 280 AI? If so, how is it shooting for you?
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Is that your 280 AI? If so, how is it shooting for you?

Yes, that's the 280 AI. I bought the rifle intending to shoot 160gr Accubonds out of it. I haven't had much time to work on loads, but so far the rifle absolutely hates that bullet. RL 22 w/ the AB gave groups over 1.5". 3100 under it gave me about 1.25" groups, but nothing under an inch.

On a whim I switched to 160gr Partitions and immediately got sub one-inch groups. Most are in the .9 range, but at least they go under an inch. I have worked out a drop table out to 550 yds and can hit the rams fairly routinely from the bench.

So anyway, I've got a load to get me through this season. Next year I'll try to find a load for the 160gr AB. Or maybe I'll play with the 150gr Ballistic Tip.

I think that remmy is slick! Not sure 6.5 lbs seems light enough for a 900 gun with a bc stock and without a fluted barrel. For 600 you can buy a model seven stainless and have the same weight rifle with money left for decent optics. Jmo lenny
No. Remington can't figure out how to make a decent barrel anymore. SOME of 'em will shoot after being recrowned with a Manson Crowning Tool, but not all. No more "pigs in a poke" for me. I'll do it right from scratch. If I can't raise the funds to build what I want I've got plenty of stuff to shoot already.
Originally Posted by 303savage
I think that remmy is slick! Not sure 6.5 lbs seems light enough for a 900 gun with a bc stock and without a fluted barrel. For 600 you can buy a model seven stainless and have the same weight rifle with money left for decent optics. Jmo lenny

A Model 7 points like a cheap-ass B&D drill. Put it in a good LW stock and it'll get better, so you're halfway there to just doing it right from scratch (trued 700, custom barrel) so why bother with it.
I'd buy a new M700 MR, but I'd buy a Kimber first. Not that much diff in price.
All of my Remington's shoot well. I must get lucky in the elusive good barrels...

As for the Mtn Rifle, they're a pretty nice set-up.

I have a m7. Started as a predator, swapped the stock for the new B&C and coated the metals black. It weight 7.5 with an elite 3200 4-12 ontop. I'm rather happy with that rifle. It shot plenty well before the stock change, I just wanted to get rid of the camo...
I am strongly considering a 30-06. Dealer on them is $800 which makes them a pretty dang good-looking deal. I am a bit leery of roulette, but almost all of the Rems I've owned over the years would perform with handloads.

Problem is, I just keep finding used stainless Sako A7s. Those have easily become my favorite rifle.
I don't like the stock on the new Mountain rifles,The B&C Alaskan ti stocks are too thick in the pistol grip area for My taste..........And I certainly would not even consider a turn on the Kimber roulette wheel, anyway I never have liked a rifle that has a blind magazine like the Montana, that alone would knock the Kimber out of consideration even if it was not for the iffy quality.........Hb
Aren't these a BDL copy of the old Mountain Guide rifles?

If so, it's not a bad gun, but not an $800-$900 gun for me anyway.
I'd look for an older wood/blued mountain rifle if it was me; my favorite 700. One of Remington's worst decisions was to discontinue that one; in my opinion. Dumbazzez!!!!
Remington is pure and simple running on a name because they can. I personally am unwilling to spend that kind of money on a piece of hunting machinery with tolerances as far off as remingtons. Any company that builds with strict tolerances will be getting my money.

Shod
For the price of one of these mountain ss rifles you could find a used Kimber and be better off, IMO.
The blued, matte finish DBM Mountain Rifles were the coolest Big Green ever did. Bring it back!
Rem 700 Mtn Rifles are easy to arrange, while avoiding paying $900 for a B&C stocked rifle.

Find yourself a used Mtn Rifle, and bed it in a McM Edge stock. McM has no peer.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/FS_Remington_700_SS_Mountain_R#UNREAD

Here you go. Buy it, get an Edge on order, and have something.
Originally Posted by Tanner
The blued, matte finish BDL Mountain Rifles were the coolest Big Green ever did. Bring it back!

Fixed it for ya.
Originally Posted by KDK
The blued, matte finish BDL Mountain Rifles were the coolest Big Green ever did. Bring it back!

Fixed it for ya.

Correct!!
A real 700 Mountain Rifle, 7-08. Not for sale, but there is a list of potential buyers for it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A real 700 Mountain Rifle, 7-08. Not for sale, but there is a list of potential buyers for it.

[Linked Image]

Best 700 of all time........ cool
Not in a million years would I waste my money on one.
I loved the old wood stocked Mountain rifles, nothing feels better in My hands that one of these, I had a pile of em though and never really had one that I would call a great shooter.................Hb
My first gen SS Mountain Guide goes 5 lb 10 oz on my trigger scale, no scope or mounts. Anyone else weigh theirs? I'm not so sure the Mountain SS short action is really 6.5lb, same as the long action? Or did Remington/ Bell and Carlson change something?

As much as I love my Montana 8400 WSM I can't seem to like the feel of the 84s. Though if a 338 Federal came along for the right price I'd have to try to like it!

I'd shop around for a first gen Mountain Guide, should be able to find one for around $700-$800. I missed one on GB a while back. They are often not labled as Mountain Guides and were a limited run so there are not many around.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
No. Remington can't figure out how to make a decent barrel anymore. SOME of 'em will shoot after being recrowned with a Manson Crowning Tool, but not all. No more "pigs in a poke" for me. I'll do it right from scratch. If I can't raise the funds to build what I want I've got plenty of stuff to shoot already.

Tht's funny stuff right there.....
Originally Posted by Swampman700

No, its SAD stuff. How many brand new Remmy barrels have you examined the crown of (with a loupe) in the last 36mo?
My last two M700's shoot great. Both are X-Mark era rifles.
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Originally Posted by KDK

Fixed it for ya.

Correct!!

I third that, my little bro has one in .243 Win. I love shooting that gun, balance is perfect and drops whiteys with aplomb.
I have bought at least a half dozen new Remington 700's in the last year all were shooters (MOA rifles right out of the box) and fit and finish has been fine, I really don't see where Remington QC has gone to hell in a handbasket like I read about so often on this site....................Hb
I won't ever buy another Remington 700 after several bad experiences with horrible QC. I buy European guns now, and am much happier.
Personally I would never buy a Remington (or Remlin for that matter) that was made as of late. That is just me though.

The old ones rock the new ones suck!
Originally Posted by tkinak
My first gen SS Mountain Guide goes 5 lb 10 oz on my trigger scale, no scope or mounts. Anyone else weigh theirs?

My Mtn Guide 7-08 is 6 lbs 12 oz with talley LW lows, a VXIII2.5-8, and alumina flip covers.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

No, its SAD stuff. How many brand new Remmy barrels have you examined the crown of (with a loupe) in the last 36mo?

Since mine shoot bug holes I haven't bothered to look at the crown. There is nothing wrong with Remington rifles. They are "the most accurate production rifles in the world." Anyone that says otherwise is either biased from listening to others or telling a lie. Mostly I just find that they don't know much about firearms.
would you buy the new remington 700 mountain ss

Nope, Wat too many other things on my list...and none of them carry the Rem. logo except maybe a used 870 for my kid.
No. Remington can't figure out how to make a decent barrel anymore.

That's pure crap. If you can't get a Remington to shoot it's not the rifles fault.

Out of the box Remington Mountain Rifle accuracy...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

300 yard groups from a Ti mountain rifle.
SAUM punched to WSM.
[Linked Image]

Swampman, not trying to argue or get your goat but you can ask any custom gunsmith and they will confirm for you that remington tolerances are off by a surprisingly large amount. That my friend is piss poor QC to say the least. A well put together rifle is deserving of a beuitiful stock that complements what the rifle truly is. The new Remingtons quite frankly should all come with a plastic stalk. And for the record this isn't based on hear say it's based on barreled actions that have been taken apart and checked for trueness. You haven't done this so what you said is hearsay and BS.

Shod
Last Remmy action I had trued up, the smith commented on how good it already was. Course I don't really care much about tolerances when rifles hang good groups and kill things well.
Everybody has their own tastes, but I find that it takes a fairly light stock and optic to make the 22" pencil-contour 700's balance right. A 22-24oz Edge and about 12oz in scope and mounts really would help. I have no qualms with buying regular old SS 700 sporters and cutting them to my desired length. They nearly always shoot well when bedded to a decent stock and often respond well to free-floating.
Originally Posted by Shod
Swampman, not trying to argue or get your goat but you can ask any custom gunsmith and they will confirm for you that remington tolerances are off by a surprisingly large amount. That my friend is piss poor QC to say the least. A well put together rifle is deserving of a beuitiful stock that complements what the rifle truly is. The new Remingtons quite frankly should all come with a plastic stalk. And for the record this isn't based on hear say it's based on barreled actions that have been taken apart and checked for trueness. You haven't done this so what you said is hearsay and BS.

Shod

Just out of curiosity, how many 700s have you taken apart recently and measured, or witnessed measured, and what were the specs on them?
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by tkinak
My first gen SS Mountain Guide goes 5 lb 10 oz on my trigger scale, no scope or mounts. Anyone else weigh theirs?

My Mtn Guide 7-08 is 6 lbs 12 oz with talley LW lows, a VXIII2.5-8, and alumina flip covers.

Almost exactly what mine weighs - only difference is a 6x36 scope and its a .243. Mine comes in at 6 lbs 10 ozs. all up.

Shod

All this is just personal bias without any factual basis. Spelling needs improvement too. I shoot groups and game. That's why I'll always have a Model 700 in the safe.
I can only speak for the last one I owned, but it had one rough, crappy, 3 MOA barrel, that would never come clean or become more accurate with anything I fed it...It quickly went down the road.

All this is just personal bias without any factual basis. Spelling needs improvement too. I shoot groups and game. That's why I'll always have a Model 700 in the safe. [/quote

I sure hope the groups and game you shoot are a lot better than the line of BS your shooting. What factual info are you basing all remingtons off of anyways? The one in your safe is somehow the master and perfect replica of all remingtons? WOW! Sorry but most aren't buying it. How exactly is taking the SOB apart and checking tolerances more biased than you putting one in your safe and looking at it.

Shod

Shod
What is the point you're trying to make? Which action are most custom builds done around? I haven't seen a 700 that wouldn't do an inch or better, granted it was fed ammo that it liked and schit was properly arranged.
Which action are most custom builds done around?

Mauser

Jesting... Look at the action the Marine Scout Snipers use... Remington 700 short action.

The Army used a long action one in the m24 until they switched to a semi automatic rifle.
The Army must not know about those [bleep] awful tolerances.
Even the USAF Special Forces use Remingtons. I've watched them shoot and shot with them many times. Navy Seals too....

All this is just personal bias without any factual basis. Spelling needs improvement too. I shoot groups and game. That's why I'll always have a Model 700 in the safe. [/quote

I sure hope the groups and game you shoot are a lot better than the line of BS your shooting. What factual info are you basing all remingtons off of anyways? The one in your safe is somehow the master and perfect replica of all remingtons? WOW! Sorry but most aren't buying it. How exactly is taking the SOB apart and checking tolerances more biased than you putting one in your safe and looking at it.

Shod

Shod

I've been shooting Remingtons since 1962. It's pretty common for them to shoot less than MOA right out of the box. I've owned a pile of them. While I'm sleeping with a Model 70 right now, I'm married to a Model 700. She never lets me down.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Shod

Just out of curiosity, how many 700s have you taken apart recently and measured, or witnessed measured, and what were the specs on them?

Up for an answer.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Mauser

Jesting... Look at the action the Marine Scout Snipers use... Remington 700 short action.

The Army used a long action one in the m24 until they switched to a semi automatic rifle.

Army still uses the M-24.
Chambered in 7.62X51 (M24A1), .300 Winchester Magnum (M24A2), .338 Lapua Magnum (M24A3)
Just another example of our military's ineptitude buying all those M24A1's that don't shoot for chit with all those [bleep] up tolerances...Looks to me like they should have tested those things before they bought all those thousands of rifles laugh.......................Hb
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Mauser

Army still uses the M-24.

Crap.. you are right, sir.

The XM2010 is a upgraded M-24 in 300 Winchester Magnum.

[Linked Image]
I'll answer the question this way: the last made-in-the-USA rifle I paid full price for was one of the new FN-made Winchester Model 70 featherweights.

Now, what was the question?
And they are nice but they aren't light....
Going to pass on the 700 Mountain as they don't make a SS in left hand...
I've bought, sold and traded several different brands of rifles over the past few years. A few are keepers that never leave, but I simply like to try different things to form my own opinions. Some higher dollar than others, multiples of several brands, several different chamberings -- probably 50ish in the last few years -- just speaking about bolt guns. The brands I've purchased are Remington, Ruger, Winchester(FN and New Haven), Cooper, Kimber, TC, Savage, Forbes and Montana Rifle Company. One each of the last two...and they both are great shooters, but I won't include a sample of one in my statement below.

In my experience, the top three in out of the box accuracy are:

1. Cooper
2. Remington
3. TC

I don't currently own a Savage or TC.....and probably won't buy another. I just don't care form them. I will continue to buy the other brands and currently own most of them. I still am a fan of the 700, 77, 70, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 700 mountain ss and probably will in the future.

Now that's what I like to read a true unbiased opinion on a subject, and I also like that you didn't form your opinion on the example of one like so many do.....Very refreshing.... This is Something that others should try sometime........Thanks for an honest opinion Smoker...............Hb
I haven't seen a 700 that wouldn't do an inch or better, granted it was fed ammo that it liked and schit was properly arranged.

So...is that important?

whistle
To answer the original question - Yes, I have one in 30.06 shipping to me now.
Only if you like accuracy, in the hunting world maybe not so much................Hb
Originally Posted by ironbender
[quote=Tanner]I haven't seen a 700 that wouldn't do an inch or better, granted it was fed ammo that it liked and schit was properly arranged.

So...is that important?

whistle [/quote

It is if your shooting a remington! cool
Advances in accuracy of machine work has produced off the shelf rifles that will shoot damned ne'er anything thing you'll feed them for more than 20 years.

Shod
I am interested to see some reviews of these rifles once people start getting them
Mine showed up yesterday. Impressions are very,very well balanced rifle. No weight forward or back, just right in the middle. Finish is very well done for Remington stainless. Stock is much more proportional in my hands than an extreme weather. Put a 3x9 VX2 in DD mounts, will head to range on saturday to sight in. But so far, I''m lovin the thing.
Please post and let us know how it shoots
are these bdl with a stock like the alaskan ti's had?
Originally Posted by ironbender
[quote=Tanner]I haven't seen a 700 that wouldn't do an inch or better, granted it was fed ammo that it liked and schit was properly arranged.

So...is that important?

whistle [/quote

It is if your shooting a remington! cool
Advances in accuracy of machine work has produced off the shelf rifles that will shoot damned ne'er anything thing you'll feed them for more than 20 years.

Shod
So you're saying I can buy a Savage, top it with schit glass, and feed it schit ammo, and go to the next F-Class shoot?

Hell, I'm in.
Tanner on the same note I have several savages that will shoot with most any remmy and they have not had anything done to them.
predmaster,
I think it's the same stock as the Ti's had. BDL style, very thin. Very comfortable.
Also has decelerator pad, not R3
Pics, man, pics! We need our gun porn!
Pics and how they shoot
Swampy, if a M70 Fwt is 'heavy' - you need to work out w/weights.

FWIW, my M70s shot sub moa fine, killed plenty well, every time.

I had a MR in 270 that shot 2.5" out the box, needed the bolt lugs lapped, stock glassed n floated, crown re-done, THEN it FINALLY shot, but I was SO P'od for all the BS, I sold it.

Oh, did I mention another 700 where the Bolt handle broke/fell off? Yep, your wife would not be too happy about that....
I still cant find one in my area I want a 30-06
Buds has them
I've had two mountain rifles and while both could shoot good groups, they were very picky. I tried one of them in a bell and carlson stock similar to the one they are using on the new SS mt rifle and it just didn't shoot well with anything. I suspected that the stock was too flexible and did not provide enough stability for that thin-contour barrel. Other folks obviously have really good ones, or have figured out the right loads, but with factory ammo the two I had were not consistent, and did best in wood stocks with pressure points.

An alternative to consider is the CDL-SF. I have one that weighs 7.6 lbs with a 3-9 x 40 leupold and lightweight Talleys, exactly what my mountain rifles weighed with wood stocks. It's 6.7 lbs without the scope and rings. The fluting largely makes up for the heavier barrel contour. The SF is consistently accurate with everything I feed it, hits the same POI even when hot so you don't have to wait forever between shots. The barrel seems very well made, cleans up quickly, dumps heat well. I only wish it had a 22" barrel instead of 24", for handling.

You might also consider a Win 70 extreme weather, which has a 22" fluted stainless barrel in a B&C stock. It would be a little heavier than the mt rifle because of the action and because it has an aluminum bedding block. But I would trust it more to shoot with a variety of ammo because of the stiffer stock and heavier barrel profile.

Either of the B&C stocks are pretty thick through the wrist.
I'd get it chopped to 22" - just chamfer the end of the bbl a tad to knock off any rough edges. Seen a TC 338 Fed bbl done that way and it looked fine, at 20" handled great to boot wink
Okay,
here's my range report. Mine is 30.06, topped with leupold vx2 3x9 with german #4, shooting Federal premium 180gr. trophy coppers. Took 6 shots at 100 yds. to zero, last three were 3/4" group. Now I'm a hunter, and don't proclaim to be anything but a proficient shot. This was over my truck hood, off a sleeping bag. So I'm sold on it.
That was factory ammo right?
Yepper,
42.99 a box at Cabelas
Anyone else got there's
figured i'd give this one some air... any experiences out there with recent production Mountain Rifles from Remington?
Last two Remington products were terrible and customer service was worse. No wonder they are belly up again!
I've had great luck with the last two Remington rifles that I bought (M700 and Model Seven). I stripped the rear action screw(my fault) and they sent me a new one that day at no charge.
Couldn’t pay to take a new Remington
This is an old thread but why start another so- I was looking at the Remington 700 mountain SS in 30-06. I want a lightweight Setup and now I’m torn between the 308 or 30/06 in the mountain SS how was the accuracy for you guys with the mountain SS?
Take a look at the Kimber Hunter before you cut a check for this. Less money, better gun, sub MOA.

I have finally reached that point myself Pard! While I've had the heavier Sporters Mod 700s shoot just fine, the slender barreled Mountain Rifles are 50/50. The Mod 70 FWTs are the same! In fact, I've owned 2 Mod 70 FWTs in 7x57 that refused to shoot under 2" with any kind of consistency, same with several Mod 700 MRs. I heard a lot about the new WBY Vanguard S2, even has a "Sub MOA" Guarantee! I bought one in 240WBY, "just to see" it was a shooter. The rifle itself "looked very well made", check, cleaned and torqued it to factory specs. Check. Put a known, accurate 3x9 on it, check, and a known accurate handload with Hunter/87 Hornady HP. Check. 1 3/4 best it would do too! Also, wouldn't feed reliably ( 240Wby has a belt) kept hanging up right before leaving magazine. The new "2 stage trigger"...wonderful! Easily adjusted, and crisp! Too bad, no way I'm sinking anymore money in that thing, sold it! My last "accurate rifle" I bought, with zero work done to it, is a Christiansen Arms Mesa in 300WM. Bonafide shooter! It just took me selling 3 good rifles I had in order to get the money to afford it! ha.
No. But that's just me..
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Would you buy one of the new remington 700 ss mountain rifle. From the pictures i have seen they are good looking gun. 6.5 pounds sounds like a pleasure to carry with a aftermarket stock.

What are you trying to accomplish?

If I wanted a light 700 for that kind of money, I'd get an ADL package rifle and upgrade the stock to a McMillan or equivalent. It might cost a bit more but a McMillan stock would be way better.

Or I might get a Tikka with glass, a Bergara, a Fieldcraft, or a Sako A7.

Okie John
I missed out on a mountain SS 30/06 for 750! Kicking myself.

Now I’m
On the hunt again.... also considering that model 7 HS 308 or a Tikka TS lite in 30/06.

Want something with a little corrosion resistance.
There is still a Kimber Montana in .270WSM for 1K on Gunbroker! I'm holding out for another Mesa, but its tempting!
© 24hourcampfire