Home
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Looking at a bunch of new rifles entering the market lately most still don't have the appeal of a good 700 Remmie IMO. Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one of the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities? I think maybe it's the combination of all of the above for I've had more than my share of good ones over the years. wink
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
They're a great platform to build a custom.
That's not a cut, any more than saying the same 'bout a Mauser - just a fact.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities?

To me...I have no idea why. I've never liked them.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Cause they shoot.
I'd like to add, I have nothing against them, they're just not my cup-o-tea.
For years, I didn't.....

If it wasn't CRF, I didn't but it. But then the 700's came out in stainless and synthetic. I noticed they were lighter and actually felt a little better in my hands. I'd also noticed my friends had 700's that were lights out shooters -- something I couldn't always say about my Winchesters, Rugers, etc.

15-20 years have passed and I still like a nice CRF action, but some of my favorite rifles are now 700's. I also like Coopers and the new Forbes rifle, both similar in design to the 700 action.

My opinions have changed over the years -- from experience and from a practicality stance. There will always be a place for 700's in my safe.
Posted By: deflave Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
I can't find a reason to not like a 700.

Travis
Posted By: SKane Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
I like a lot of stuff but am partial to the 700. Savage99 disliking them makes me like them all the more.
Posted By: pointer Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Originally Posted by SKane
I like a lot of stuff but am partial to the 700. Savage99 disliking them makes me like them all the more.
Ha! I wonder how many have been bought over the years just to spite him?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Originally Posted by Tanner
Cause they shoot.
.....Even when you don't want them to..
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
I have nothing against the good old Rem 700's that would actually perform. It was these guns up through the early 70's that built Remington's reputation.

I am a proponent of the Wby Mk V.

I have one Rem 700 in 308 Win and it will always be with me. I will have a Borden custom 300 WSM which will be a Rem clone. The idea of the 700 is worth copying.
700 Club; trued action, lapped lugs, new barrel, new trigger, new stock.

Jist the way it is.

I have zero 721's, 722's, or 700's that are 100% factory rifles - not one.
Posted By: JPro Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
I generally find that 700's are relatively light, plentiful, available in a lot of chamberings and configurations, easy to bed and tune, and have a lot of aftermarket parts available, including a lot of good "take-off" parts. Many of my Remington bolt guns wear factory stocks, but very few wear the stock they came with. Also, many of their factory patterns fit me well. I like the "dangerous" Walker trigger and the lock time. It's rare than a factory 700 with a trigger tune will not deliver good accuracy after being bedded in a stiff stock and fed good ammunition.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Including replacing the trigger assembly with a Timney, they are a good buy!
They shoot good, usually feed reliably, the safety can be let off quietly, and they are light weight rigs.
Last I heard they are still made in USA.
Posted By: jwall Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Well, let me see......

Bought my 1st one in 1975 or 76 can't remember. Have bought several since.

Last New one I bought was 1995, 700 ADL Synthetic 7mmRM.

Now where was I?

NO NO NO PROBLEMS, Adjustable (w/common sense) triggers, I've not had 1 that would NOT shoot 1" or less w/handloads. Have shot heads off squirrels and water birds (oops), rabbits etc.

NO misfires, no firing on bolt closing, killed TONS of game...
Have NOT had 1 bolt handle fall off.

NO, can't find ONE reason NOT to like/love Rem 700s.

Oh yeah, before I forget... We have a member on the 'Fire' who HATES Rem 700s. Have read many of his rants about them.

He has had a TOTAL of 2 - 700s. (His own post recently).

Posted By: roundoak Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
I haven't the heart to rain on this parade. grin
Posted By: mlg Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Every time I look at them I always think that a Vanguard is a sooo much better made gun. Plus it has features like a single piece bolt and a good extractor.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Not wild about them but cannot hate them either .....

All mine except the SPS Varmint is stock. It is basically stock except it now wears a Laminate stock. My 30-06 ADL started life in a tupperware stock, but I found an older walnut ADL it now resides in ... so that is stock. M700 Safari in 375 H&H is 100% stock ... That older wood blue rifle is nice. I just acquired a 40-x HB "US" single shot 22lr. Which appears all stock.

All the above rifles will shoot less than 0.75" @ 100 yards with the cheapest off the shelf ammo ... I have shot <0.5" groups with the Varmint and Safari 3 outta 4 three shot groups. The jury is still out on the 40-x as I have not shot it yet ... but don't bet against it smile

But I still hunt with a MkV smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
If there is an easier rifle to get shooting well I ain't met it.
They work, but they ain't more special than the rest, other than good selection of aftermarket parts.
Assuming accuracy ain't a concern, I agree...
And weight
Easy to get to shoot, in 100% factory configuration?
Savage comes to mind, and there's really no reason to spend any money "customizing" one.

700's are great, they just rarely stay "factory". (almost never 'round here)

Can't really think of any eye candy 700's either.(I'm talkin' carved, hand checkerd, etc. The 700 is shooter/hunter's platform - and a good one.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Swampy says they are " THE BEST IN THE WORLD...."
Posted By: JPro Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Remington would do well to pay Swampy to tout T/C's and Rugers....
jorge touched on the safety issue but I've been around em for more time than I care to remember and haven't seen or heard of one issue.Maybe a glitch in the newer ones but when considering the total production numbers they have a pretty good track record IMO.
THE BEST IN THE WORLD...."

Then as sure as money buys things, one will break if I borrow it!
Only rifle that ever fired itself while in my hands was a M77 Ruger (not a MKII, a M77).
Originally Posted by Steelhead
it's not rocket science, which just about all manufactures have proved.
eh76 just put together a nice one on a donor 700 just don't think you can beat em for price and overall looks after the metamorphosis.
He's also taunting, and tempting me with a full blown custom 6.5x284-Norma on a 700 platform. Same fella that built the long range bangers you guys used on "The Hunt", built it.

Depends on how you look at the rifle. If you're lookin' for long range, accurate, and go-to for shooting, it's "it". If you're lookin for fine figure, eye-catching checkering, carved metal, and "wow" factor - to be hunted from a blind, or hung on a wall - not so much.
Originally Posted by Mako25
Same fella that built the long range bangers you guys used on "The Hunt", built it.

Yeah after watching speed goats shot over the curvature of the earth with that one I referred to it as the "it's not fair rifle" grin
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Used to be a die hard. now just good for a donor action. I'd rather buy a "custom" Clone re; Stiller, GAP, Surgeon, etc
even their custom shop guns cost as much as some customs. still a remy barrel the tactical guns are a little better 5r.
The ONLY reason I would own a 700 is to build off one, simply because of the available parts. The triggers are dogcrap, and the "short actions" are too short for medium cartridges in my opinion.
Yeah after watching speed goats shot over the curvature of the earth with that one I referred to it as the "it's not fair rifle

And there is a reason to admire the 700 (or more correctly, 700 Club rifle).
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Price for the optional styles. Lefty short actions that arn't Savage's or Browning's.

Remington could build a lefty Seven...
Winchester could build a lefty Short action...
Browning could build a blind magazine micro-hunter with an honest trigger and not the x-bolt style wood...
Ruger could offer their light-weight compact left handed...
But that's all personal gripes.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12

M700 owners brag about accuracy. M70 owners brag about how much money they spend trying to make them accurate.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
They are a tool, just like any other tool.

Not sure I would bother to wax lyrical about them to total strangers though.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/12/12
Because the 700 was (and might still be) for many, many years, the best left-handed bolt action available.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

M700 owners brag about accuracy. M70 owners brag about how much money they spend trying to make them accurate.

I have 2 model 70s that shoot 1/2 MOA or better all the time and both are untouched factory rifles, one featherweight 270 and an old push feed sporter 30-06. And a third that shoots MOA and better with my handloads, another featherweight. I didn't do anything to make them shoot. They just did. And I've been around lots of other bone stock Model 70s that shoot just fine.

Hear lots of things about 700s and how great they shoot. I just don't care to own one.
I love the way they look and the way they shoot.
Awesome selection of aftermarket and takeoff stocks
Most always great shooters (along with many other brands)
Simple, and effective action design
Most all 700s balance near perfect in stock form (say that Ruger WSM owners)
Huge selection of aftermarket parts
Steel parts (except for the floor plate which really pisses me off)
Made by white people

I also love the fact that over the course of a few months I can piece together an unmatching frankenstein-like gun and have it shoot lights out And hang with the best of them...
Posted By: Horseman Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Simple, relatively compact/lightweight action, shoot well, look good have very quick lock time with short firing pin travel. With an aftermarket trigger they can have a trigger as crisp as any high dollar target rifle. I have many rifles that cost much more than 700's but I keep coming back to the 700's. They also carry very well being slender in the magazine area. I hate carring a pregnant guppy feeling stock.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
What Tanner said on page one....they shoot!
Posted By: lastround Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Had'em when I was young, went to others when middle aged. Now I'm getting older and kind of like them again. Go figure!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Originally Posted by Technoman26

I have 2 model 70s that shoot 1/2 MOA or better all the time and both are untouched factory rifles, one featherweight 270 and an old push feed sporter 30-06. And a third that shoots MOA and better with my handloads, another featherweight. I didn't do anything to make them shoot. They just did. And I've been around lots of other bone stock Model 70s that shoot just fine.

Hear lots of things about 700s and how great they shoot. I just don't care to own one.

Agree with Tecnoman.....been around enough of both.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
jorge touched on the safety issue but I've been around em for more time than I care to remember and haven't seen or heard of one issue.Maybe a glitch in the newer ones but when considering the total production numbers they have a pretty good track record IMO.

Love ya man, but I wouldn't own one (again). All kidding aside, it's just a preference issue.

EVERY Model 70 I've owned and they've been many, have been at worse MOA shooters.."right out of the box".
Having seen a safety off a ruger, I really don't like Remy safetys
I've had good luck with the M700's(and 600's) that I've owned.
Posted By: rifle Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Yea,a lot to be desired...
[Linked Image]
Where the heck is the bolt lever arm?
Posted By: rifle Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Where the heck is the bolt lever arm?

It's laying on the ground....nice work,Remy!
Posted By: toad Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
i've plenty of both, but i'll take the M700 if pressed
Posted By: efw Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities?

+1

If I want something to shoot I go Savage 110 cuz I can tinker myself. If I want a serious custom I go Mauser 98 and variants including Springfield 03. I'd love a Winchester M70. Never had the slightest bit of love for a 700... Just like the 243 & 270 Win cartridges... Nothing necessarily altogether rational, 'cept they suck and everybody and their brother has one. wink
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
One can modify a Rem700 to try to bring it up to Win M70 standards:
1) Glue a shroud to the receiver to get a flat receiver bottom to resist bullet twist torque.
2) Get a Sako extractor modification to replace weak extractor with a bigger extractor.
3) Safety blocks trigger, not firing pin..... Gentry 3 position safety on firing pin
4) Recoil lug not attached... drill receiver and buy a Holland pinned recoil lug.
5) Barrel may shake loose, apply glue. Vaughn also has proposed Rem700 design change.
6) Bolt handle soldered on and will break off, TIG weld on handle or drill and tap and add some fasteners.
7) Not controlled feed... no cure
8) Plunger ejector instead of knife blade ejector... no cure
9) Failed case head shoots shooter in the eye with gas... wear eye protection

What does it all mean?
The Rem 700, of all the bolt actions, is the purest example of designed to be cheap to build. With the money saved, Remington can put good barrels on them. Rem 700s shoot well with the original barrels.

I own lots of Rem700s and many others.
The Rem700 is at it's best on a low budget ground squirrel hunt.
The Rem700 is at it's worst in on high budget dangerous game hunt.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
.....the flip side is even God himself doesn't have enough money and resources to make a M70 shoot as good as a M700 with a good barrel. Like Steelhead said earlier, if you're not concerned with accuracy.....
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
I've not had or seen the accuracy problems with 700's I have with 70's. I like 70's too though. Yes ill admit to spending money on both. Sometimes for accuracy reasons sometimes to upgrade parts and sometimes for cool factor.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12

Agreed.

Why buy a rifle you have to take a chance on?

Other makes guarantee accuracy - and for less money too.
.....the flip side is even God himself doesn't have enough money and resources to make a M70 shoot as good as a M700 with a good barrel. Like Steelhead said earlier, if you're not concerned with accuracy.....

Tikka's out of the box smoke Remy's, even the fixed up ones.

So I call shin-an-agains on that one.

I think most "less experienced" people have more luck fixing up remy's for 2 reasons
1) They are much simpler, which means it's hareder to screw them up
2) there are a ton of aftermarket parts (cheap ones too).

This being said if I ever start am. gunsmithing I'll be looking for a remy too.

Do you have a definition for more "as" accurate as this, or are we just choosing to ignore the facts posted. Be that as it may, this is accurate enough, out of the box Model 70 in 375 H&H with two different bullet types:
[Linked Image]

Now if you are talking "benchrest" competition accuracy then we might have something to agree on...

Pick something with a smaller bore and it get tougher.

I didn't say you couldn't find a good one.
I did say they have [bleep] for a safety framework

300 H&H...200 yards, is that a smaller bore?
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Laguna Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Because they work as advertised, they're excellent value, and they're as accurate as any production rifle made, maybe more so.
Posted By: Laguna Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Originally Posted by jorgeI

300 H&H...200 yards, is that a smaller bore?
[Linked Image]

Jorge1,

Y0u have quite a shooter. I'd never part with it, unless you want to sell it to me wink
My other 375 with 270 TSXs:
[Linked Image]

And my 338 with 210 Partitions:
[Linked Image]

no doubt 700s are accurate rifles, but I'll take this level of accuracy without all the baggage...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
You do understand we are discussing overall, not examples of a few. Ain't seen a smith that needed 82 trick moves for a Remington.
Posted By: drover Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
This is probably a discusson that I shouldn't get into but some things have to be said.

In the past 50 years with quite a few Mod 70's and Rem 700's chambered in various calibers from 222 through 30-06, I have had more "out of the box" accurate Mod 70's than 700's. To expound a bit by "out of the box" I mean rifles that required nothing more than a trigger adjustment, no bedding, no forend work, just unpack them, adjust the trigger, install a scope and shoot good one MOA, or less, groups. In every instance with the exception of a 700 chambered in 260 I could have used any one of the 70's or 700's to hunt with.

70's seem to less often require additional smithing to make their owners happy a lot of that may be because 70's are more often using as big game hunting rifles. Another reason is that because 700's are like 10/22's, in the sense that there is a ton of aftermarket items available for them. Also the issue that most gunsmiths find the 700's much easier (read easier meaning faster to set up for lathe work, etc) to work on because of the round receiver design.

I own 70's and 700's and a few other brands, to me it is just another Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing - whatever turns you on. Overall I do prefer the feel of the 700 stocks but that is not an accuracy issure simply a preference.

drover
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
Bart Bobbitt, long time competitor at Camp Perry, says that the Rem700 is not as good as the Win M70.

But he uses aftermarket barrels.

May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, showed an actual-size copy of a 3.325" 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle.

Krieger did not ask his permission or even spell his name right.
But he does have thousands of posts on the internet explaining why the M70 is better for accuracy.

The NRA symbol for accuracy is an icon painting of Bart.

Using Google, here is one of his posts from the 1990s:

Remington M700 tangs are not as stiff as the Winchester M70 tang. A
common problem with Remingtons is their tang gets bent from torquing up
the rear stock screw too tight. This pulls the tang down and compresses
the bedding (stock plus epoxy if used). When this happens, the bedding
is a bit more elastic than the steel and it comes back up somewhat. But
the tang is now bent down more than before and doesn't come back. This
results in the tang now putting the back end of the M700 receiver at a
higher point relative to the bedding. As such, there's less contact
between the back half of the M700 receiver and its bedding. Which ends
up causing accuracy to get worse. Rebedding the receiver will solve
this problem; original accuracy returns. With bullets heavier than 160
or so grains shot with powder charges greater than about 45 grains,
there's enough vertical flexing of the receiver as it pivots on the
recoil lug to cause the M700's tang to eventually bend up. After this
exercise continues for about 300 shots, the tang is no longer well
bedded; time to rebed again. As the M700's round receiver doesn't
resist twisting very well, that torquing aggrevates the bedding too,
but probably not as much as vertical flexing from recoil.
You do understand we are discussing overall, not examples of a few. Ain't seen a smith that needed 82 trick moves for a Remington.

+1 gotta agree with the man there

However - that does make them more like a 10-22 than anything else...
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
There are soe things I like on a M70 over the M700, mostly looks. I seriously doubt, however, that you would find an accuracy gunsmith that would agree that a M70 action makes for a better platform than a M700 (or the dozens of 700 clones) from an accuracy standpoint.
.....the flip side is even God himself doesn't have enough money and resources to make a M70 shoot as good as a M700

I've also found this to be the case....
Posted By: avagadro Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/13/12
There are soe things I like on a M70 over the M700, mostly looks. I seriously doubt, however, that you would find an accuracy gunsmith that would agree that a M70 action makes for a better platform than a M700 (or the dozens of 700 clones) from an accuracy standpoint.

So would a M70 PF be the besterest of both worlds? Charlie Sisk likes to use them. ...
Here's my stock'64 vintage Mod 70 308 barreled action [not pre].. see nothing special about it over my 700,s but at least it says made in USA ! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'll take my Sakos and Mausers any day over a Remington. got rid of my last Remington a while ago, don't miss it.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
There are 100 bolt action designs that create a spectrum of features created by extra machining steps from the Rem 700 = VW bug to the custom Mauser = Bugatti.

When we evaluate another bolt action we grade per where it falls on the spectrum, i.e. the Howa is at the 50% mark half way in between.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Howsa about comparing the lug area?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Here's my stock'64 vintage Mod 70 308 barreled action [not pre].. see nothing special about it over my 700,s but at least it says made in USA ! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

there aint nothin' wrong with a push feed model 70....had really good luck with them...
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Bart Bobbitt, long time competitor at Camp Perry, says that the Rem700 is not as good as the Win M70.

May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting, showed an actual-size copy of a 3.325" 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle.

But he does have thousands of posts on the internet explaining why the M70 is better for accuracy.

Didn't read all because it started so stupid....sorry
Originally Posted by avagadro
Howsa about comparing the lug area?

Since you asked..The difference in the forward lug is basically splitting hairs.In the pic 700 left mod 70 right.The Rem lug is tad wider than the Win but the Win is tad longer than the Rem.In my recollection over many years just haven't seen or heard of many folks blowing up either of these actions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Sorry to sound rude Clark but to act like a 70 is more accurate because of what some dude did or said is pretty stupid. How many custom actions you see made on a 70 footprint and how many on a 700? A 70 is a good hunting gun and sometimes is real accurate. 70's just are not will not compete with 700's in the area you cite. Sorry.
The Model 700 will withstand over 130,000 psi. Three rings of steel trumps the Model 70 everyday.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
I can only think of two M70 knockoff's....Montana action and the Dakota 76. This was not intended to be one of those mindless arguments of PF vs CRF that are usually just centered in emotion. 3/4 of the guys here who argue that the CRF is the only way to fly when their lives are at stake, probably face more danger going to the milk store than they do afield.
Sorry FF .. I was referring to the recoil lug area of the action. I only reference because of the continued insistence of action torquing of that mean nasty cylindrical M700 action smile
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Looking at a bunch of new rifles entering the market lately most still don't have the appeal of a good 700 Remmie IMO. Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one of the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities? I think maybe it's the combination of all of the above for I've had more than my share of good ones over the years. wink

Why do "I like my 700." posts, always turn into a thread for cry babies to pimp Model 70's or Weatherby's? If you like that stuff, more power to you. The men are not impressed.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Clark, you spend a lot of time on the can?
700's are the best thing since sliced bread!!!

ddj
The inventor of the Rem700 firing mechanism, Merle "Mike" Walker, 98 years old at the time of the documentary, told CNBC he proposed what he called a safer trigger in 1948 while the product was still in the testing stage. Walker said his enhanced design was rejected because of the added cost, 5 1/2 cents per gun.

You may be a redneck if you married your sister, live in a cardboard box, and think the Rem700 is a great rifle.

Barack Hussein Obama, is the Remington 700 of Presidents.
He appeals to poor stupid people that want something for nothing.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12

82 no but how about at least nine:
1) Glue a shroud to the receiver to get a flat receiver bottom to resist bullet twist torque.
2) Get a Sako extractor modification to replace weak extractor with a bigger extractor.
3) Safety blocks trigger, not firing pin..... Gentry 3 position safety on firing pin
4) Recoil lug not attached... drill receiver and buy a Holland pinned recoil lug.
5) Barrel may shake loose, apply glue. Vaughn also has proposed Rem700 design change.
6) Bolt handle soldered on and will break off, TIG weld on handle or drill and tap and add some fasteners.
7) Not controlled feed... no cure
8) Plunger ejector instead of knife blade ejector... no cure
9) Failed case head shoots shooter in the eye with gas... wear eye protection

ALL my 70s have shot that way out of the box so again I ask, how much more accuracy do you need, unless you are a benchrest shooter where 700s shine? And I have NO problems with PFs and hunting ANYTHING BTW, just cheaply made sheet metal extractors..
Posted By: toad Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
the part i love about these threads is when the pictures of 'superior' safe queens start to flow. you know, the ones that are immune to 'bullet twist torque' and barrels 'shaking loose'
Lets ask this question just for fun.

Setting aside that the 700 is an awesome platform to start with -meaning quality in = quality out

Question - out of the box quality wise does the Remy still stack up?
Posted By: toad Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
of course. but any rifle needs shot a bunch before it reaches trusted status. there was a 'broken M70 extractor' thread here not long ago.
You ask a simple question around here and damn sure don't get a simple answer! BTW no wise cracks about the word simple grin Carry on men dint realize I needed popcorn for this thread! whistle
Woody, If this would have been asked this in 2006, we would be to 20 pages ... Not to mention the cuss fest that would surely ensue. Was a very pro-700 forum for many years
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
I knew this thread was going to turn into a "The Remington is great and the M70 sucks" treatise of propaganda....it took 9 pages but it happened. smile

I have owned and shot a pretty fair number of Remington 700's over the years,played with those owned by others,etc.,not as many as M70's but still a good number of them.They have included a few KS MR's,the wood stocked MR's in 7x57,257 Roberts,and 270,varmint rifles in 22-250,25/06,and 220 Swift,300 magnums, 7mm Magnums,standard calibers and so forth.Some of these were great and others no better than average.

The accuracy issue puzzles me.I have seen some that shot great out of the box and others that need tweaking.I don't know if it's still true or not but my last source of information (Precision Shooting) said that Remington,Winchester,and Ruger barrels are made on the exact same hammer forging machines that come from a single source in Germany....so scratch any notions about Remington barrels being somehow "superior".The contours of Remingtons do tend to run heavier on sporter models.

In shooting the lighter sporter weight versions against a bunch of M70's over the years,I have noticed no clear superiority of one over the other....some need tweaking of triggers, bedding and floating of barrels...both brands respond well to this treatment. I have seen both types go from average to really good simply by tuning a trigger,bedding in a GOOD synthetic(not some floppy Tupperware POS)and floating the barrel.I have seen few of both brands that did not benefit from this simple treatment.Any distinctions between them at that point was an excercise in mental masturbation or excrutiating nit picking.

One of the most accurate factory Remngton rifles I have shot was a 30/06 KS Mountain rifle of early vinatge that belonged to a friend...it just piled 165 gr bullets into a ragged hole and not just 3 of them....I have seen a few standard grade pre 64 M70's that did the same thing.The Remington Custom Shop confirmed that the barrel was a Krieger.

One of the worst turkey factory rifles I have worked with was a Rem 700 KS in 300 RUM...operated at 300 Win Mag velocities with 180 gr bullets at under 3100 fps it shot tackholes;But operated at 300 RUM velocities(anything over 3150 or so), it sucked. My pal asked why and I said "sloppy assembly.It can't take the heat".

After putting it in the hands of an accuracy smith,and $1200 later,it is a drill with full house loads.The smith provided a list of "problems"....gave me a headache just reading it.My pal was now into the rifle almost $3k....I'd have dumped it.

The laundry list of after market parts listed in some "build recipes" on here, is longer than the dessert menu at the Capital Grill....generally, a M70 requires nothing except to ditch the MIM extractor and replace with a steel extractor.Pre 64's require nothing in after market parts.Anyone who has used them extensively knows this.Others can guess.

My first exposure to a Remington 700 was on a NH deer hunt;the other kid was rich, carried a new Rem700 BDL in 30/06. I was a broke college student and had a Win 670.I didn't know a push feed from a push broom.We were unloading at the end of the day;the bolt handle ended up in his hands,cleanly seperated from the rifle.....even then, I knew THAT was not supposed to happen...

Switch to Northern Maine 3-4 years later,after a big snowstorm dumping about a foot(this does not happen in East Texas far as I know). Three of us chasing a wounded buck with snow falling from trees, onto rifles and into the actions, freezing everything solid.After dark,to let a companion on the logging road know where we were, the only rifle that would fire was my pre war M70...the other two,both Rem700 BDL's,were frozen solid and would not fire....snow and ice packed into safeties and enclosed trigger groups.It doesn't take a 60 day backpack trip,neglect in maintanance,or constant submersion in salt water to shut down a Remington 700

Go to Wyoming....twice I have shown up there and my pals Rem 700 would not fire until I flushed the dust out of the trigger housing and gave it a thorough cleaning.Rural Wyoming ranchers ain't much for rifle maintenance.

That same rifle left a fired case in the rifle after having fired at a 30"+ mule deer,which I then collaborated on. Another pal is a lefty, does the bulk of his hunting with three Rem700's in 270,7/08,and 300 Win Mag.In all these years, never a hitch for him.

Personally, my own luck with Rem700's has been good.I have never had one freeze up,never had a feeding snafu,or failure to extract and they have shot accurately for me.But I have watched them and maintained them.They seem t require more TLC than a M70 to keep working.Lets just say I think they are more sensitive to environmental conditions than a M70.

I hang around with a lot of match shooters;one guy recently deceased had a pair of pre war M70's...in the aggragate tey fired close to 200,000 rounds in compeition.Those rifles and he held some club records that still stand far as I know..He replaced a firing pin spring every 20-30,000 rounds or so.Thats all.

In 40+ years hunting and shoting them, I have never had a M70 bauble in the slightest.Some Classics needed tweaking to be sure they worked.....pre 64's have needed absolutely nothing.

I find the notion that M70's don't shoot well utterly ridiculous and can only conclude folks have not been around very many.

YMMV. smile
Woody, If this would have been asked this in 2006, we would be to 20 pages ... Not to mention the cuss fest that would surely ensue. Was a very pro-700 forum for many years

It still is...it's just not worth listening to the hecklers.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I knew this thread was going to turn into a "The Remington is great and the M70 sucks" treatise of propaganda....it took 9 pages but it happened. smile

YMMV. smile

...and it's always started by the same pompous malcontents who feel compelled to bitch about Remingtons.
I guess product deficiencies and factual, well-crafted accounts like the one Bob just wrote are now classified as bitching, not to mention my SIMPLE question regarding accuracy. If some of you like 700s, GREAT! but every time somebody spouts nonsense devoid of facts regarding Model 70s, some of us will kindly object (or often times not-so-kindly and that goes both ways) .
Posted By: Tanner Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
I just hope everyone keeps buying 70s and selling 700s... grin
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Hope my observations, experience, and input weren't construed as bitchin'. If you review 'em, it's hard to find inaccuracies.

The 700 is a great platform for precision shooting, and hunting. When I varmint hunt, or target shoot - my 722's, and 700's always get selected first. None are in factory configuration.

They seldom stay 100% "factory".
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
They seldom stay 100% "factory".

Same applies to Mausers (military versions).

I don't have, or have even ever fired one in 100% "original" configuration. Never heard of Mauser fans gettin' bent outta shape for realizing that either.

Jist the way it is.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

YMMV. smile

...and it's always started by the same pompous malcontents who feel compelled to bitch about Remingtons.

As predictable as the sun rising...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
I guess product deficiencies and factual, well-crafted accounts like the one Bob just wrote are now classified as bitching, not to mention my SIMPLE question regarding accuracy. If some of you like 700s, GREAT! but every time somebody spouts nonsense devoid of facts regarding Model 70s, some of us will kindly object (or often times not-so-kindly and that goes both ways) .

Nah...Bob's cool. He writes good stuff and isn't a pompous malcontent.
I unfortunately, resemble that remark... smile
I think I do too... smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
I tend not to make decisions about rifles based on what the Lone Ranger or some JO dude carried.

Trust me, if I'm ever in the market for a long action 243 that weighs 9 pounds I'll be all over a pre-64.
I tend not to make decisions about rifles based on what the Lone Ranger or some JO dude carried.

Trust me, if I'm ever in the market for a long action 243 that weighs 9 pounds I'll be all over a pre-64.

Now that is funny, and I like model 70s, at least some of them!
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
I think a push feed, 3 lug, 60 degree bolt lift, blind magazine, left hand, short action, model 70 would be THE cats meow.

That's the Featherweight version
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12

YMMV. smile

Not me! grin I didn't start it! smile
Posted By: Joe Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
None of you 700 lovers must have seen my Classic .250 I put up twice in the classifieds. I ended up trading it for a CZ-527 but, I think it may still be for sale.

It still is...it's just not worth listening to the hecklers.

Hmmm ... really? Guess it shows how little I read most of the threads here. Still some darn good info to be gleaned from several folks here ... for all makes of rifles .... But I rarely wade into threads longer than a page or two (35 posts/page). ... although this is an exception.

Hoping the half nekkid wimins pics start showing up!! smile
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12
Tell you in about a week when my first new/used 700 arrives! BTW.... Not to hijack, but how hard is it to adjust the trigger? Pre-80s mfg with a pull that is way to light for me...1 pound approx.....would prefer 2 or so....

But I will let you know soon why I love my Remmy 700
I love my M700 in 204 Ruger. (rolleyes). Have only found one load it will even shoot decent. That $.02 piece of tin and $.01 spring that they call a "bolt release" constantly fails. Probably going to send it to Karl so he can install a side bolt release like a real gun. Hell, even Savage's system works better than Remington's.

Remingtons are built cheap, it is what it is.

Quote -

The Model 700 is a low quality FORD TRUCK..

Yes it can be fixed up and when functioning it's an awsome ride.
So ya cheap bass-terds like finding broke ones and fixin' them up

Question now answered
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/14/12

Damn the giggling that ensued reading that post made the wife stare at me like I have an extra head or something.
Originally Posted by EddyBo

What pitiful grasping at straws by Rem 700 buffs and their 1900 pound VW bug.
They get a round bottom, push feed, washer for a recoil lug, bolt handle attached with solder, a safety than kills people, and and extractor from a cap gun.
And how many ounces did they save for getting shafted like a prison punk?

The following weights of full actions (bolt, guard screws, trigger
guard magazine liner, trigger assembly, recoil lugs, follower and
spring) - everything except the barrel, stock, scope and mounts.
Remington 700 short ADL .............2 lbs. 3 1/2 oz.
Remington 700 short BDL .............2 lbs. 4 oz.
Remington 700 long ADL ..............2 lbs. 6 1/2 oz.
Remington 700 long BDL ..............2 lbs. 7 oz.
Remington 600 ...............................1 lb. 15 oz.
Remington 788 long (.243, .308) .....2 lbs. 11 oz.
Remington 7.....................................2 lbs. 2 oz.
Mauser Mark X ...............................2 lbs. 15 oz.
Sako medium (current production) ....2 lbs. 5 oz.
Sako long .........................................2 lbs. 13 oz.
Ruger short dovetail receiver .............2 lbs. 6 oz.
Ruger long dovetail receiver ...............2 lbs. 8 1/2 oz.
Weatherby Model 70 post-64 ...........2 lbs. 13 oz.
Weatherby Mark V ...........................3 lbs. 3 oz
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12

The old dude I know that has won about everything imaginable and set dozens of world records, has the exact opposite opinion of Mod 70s and 700s.
You got your quotes wrong Clark. SteelHead was the origination of that jewel. I only quoted it because it is hilarious.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
Discussion from a few years back.
I've included a post by Gale McMillan

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/remington700.html

If you think that the selection of the M40 or the M24 and Navy M86 was
based on what you say is goodies shows just how much you know about the
subject. All branches of the service conducted literally millions of
dollars making the selection. I was deeply involved with all three
branches in making that selection. The first, the USMC had an easier
time since they already had the actions in inventory. I designed the M40,
trained the armors, and manufactured the stocks for it. After a long
search for a sniper rifle the Army conducted numerous field tests on
sniper rifles provided by all the manufacturers including foreign. In the
end there were two left in the race, Remington and myself. When the
final requests were submitted there were a couple of requirements like
having a long range test facility and a few others that involved money
that had to be spent before the winner was selected. I did not think I
could build our rifle as cheaply as a company that makes inexpensive
rifles and would loose out in the end due to cost so I withdrew. I
continued to make the sniper rifles for the Navy Seals on our action
which is a refined version of the Rem.700.
As for buying an action just try to buy one from Rem. and just how many
mod 70s would you like to have? This debate has been going on for years
and will probably continue with those who refuse to open their eyes and
see the facts. If you have a real interest in finding out the answer
just look at the record books in the Metallic Silhoutte Nationals, the
NBRSA and IBS Nationals, the 1000 Benchrest and the 1000 matches at
Perry. If that doesn't covince you maybe we can arrange a little shoot
off for say $50,000 winner take all. As for the round action not taking
high recoil cart. don't tell the 50 cal shooters, all their world
records were shot with round actions. I will give the mod 70 one
thing. It is the smoothest fast operating of the two because it gets half
its cocking off the bolt and half off the cams in the receiver that
coupled with a weak firing pin spring makes it the choice for cross the
course matches where accuracy isn't as important as speed and ease.

Gale McMillan

Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
Originally Posted by Joe
None of you 700 lovers must have seen my Classic .250 I put up twice in the classifieds. I ended up trading it for a CZ-527 but, I think it may still be for sale.

I like 700's and didn't want your 250. If it was a 70 I wouldn't have wanted it. I've not hunted a factory rifle in years be it 70 or 700. Both get new barrels and stocks.

I couldn't care less what dudes on the net think. I've guns built on 70,700, and vanguard. Not very many factory rifles offer exactly what I want so I make them what I want.

Funny how when people brag about a certain brand the tools show up to pimp their brand and cut down another....lol
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
I love my 700's because I HATE the Model 70. And yeah, I've had a few 70's. mtmuley
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
I have been building rifles for 46 years.
I just bought another Rem700 6 days ago. It came with stock, barrel and scope I don't need.
More than a decade ago, there were smart men on the internet.
Gale McMillan was pro Rem700 and Bart Bobbitt was pro M70.

We don't get much technical content in the discussion any more.
Clark, I was referring to Don Geraci, but he was buddies with Gayle, pretty sure. I have only been building rifles for a couple years, like em both, like salvages as well. I prefer the 1.062 shank on a remington and the ease of finding bottom metal, and also I like round actions.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
I always find it curious that the first thing hunters do to establish accuracy potential of a Rem 700 is point to bench rest rifles,sillouette, or other target or match specialty items..what that has to do with BG rifles is sort of obscure.

Number one,I dont want to know what a Remington (or anything else)does in some tricked out,custom,target oriented configuration....I want to know what it does in a hunting rifle....and they aren't the same thing.

Put a M70 and a Rem 700 hunting rifle in the hands of a skilled shot and I bet he will not be able to see any difference at all under field conditions.

Put a M70 and a Rem 700 hunting rifle in the hands of a skilled shot and I bet he will not be able to see any difference at all under field conditions.

Well said Bob, I can't believe this thread has spawned all the dissension, never meant it to but guess I haven't been around the Fire quite long enough to know when to tip toe through the tulips just yet! grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12

They get a round bottom, push feed, washer for a recoil lug, bolt handle attached with solder, a safety than kills people, and and extractor from a cap gun.

Damn, another mother that should have swallowed.
FlyBoy don't even sweat it...I thought this was a really civil thread! grin

Damn, another mother that should have swallowed.

smile
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
I always find it curious that the first thing hunters do to establish accuracy potential of a Rem 700 is point to bench rest rifles,sillouette, or other target or match specialty items..what that has to do with BG rifles is sort of obscure.

Number one,I dont want to know what a Remington (or anything else)does in some tricked out,custom,target oriented configuration....I want to know what it does in a hunting rifle....and they aren't the same thing.

I tend to agree with what you are saying here Bob, however, my comments earlier only had to do with accuracy potential, so citing the above competition shooting results seems pretty relevant. Besides, if a guy doesn't hunt stuff that could potentially kill you, what's the point of of arguing PF vs CRF anyway ?
RD I wasn't refering to what you said....it was another post.Besides I deliberately side stepped the CRF/PF discussion...Uhh ...arguments....Umm...issue grin

Few weeks back we had a Rem 700 KS MR rechambered to Mashburn at the range.I rapid fired three from it to check function, operated from the shoulder...not a hitch.

I have my own reasons for building my own hunting rifles on CRF actions but they might not make any sense to others so no point in discussing it. smile
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
One of these days I'm going to grab one of those SS M70 EW in 7 WSM and dump it into an Edge stock and have someone who knows what their doing smooth up the action. I actually like the classic lines of the M70 action much more than a M700. The design "team" guys did hit the nail on the head with the M700 though.......make it cheap to produce and accurate.
Posted By: battue Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
Growing up we were a Winchester family to the bone. Noticed and handled the original 700s and they were not much lighter than the 70s of that time. Never did and still don't like the 700 safety.

However no doubt Remington reinvented the 700 more than once and adapted it to the changing desires of hunters while Winchester with the exception of the FWT back in the 50s, for the most didn't and they slowly lost more than one generation of hunters. The post 64s came and they lost even many of the faithful.

Put a 70 style safety on a 700 and I could use one and not think all that much about it. They will never have the same solid feel, but to the bone runs deep.

Addition: Remington beat Wincheter at the marketing game with offering dozens of variants. Winchester essentially gave you two choices for 50 plus years. I have always said Winchester missed the boat when the the SC rifles came out.They should have had a real FWT instead of Great Grandads FWT. Heck, Kimber figured it out and gave them the template.
Battue

That can be done
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ree-position-safety-shroud-prod6668.aspx

Blocking the firing pin is better than blocking the trigger.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
And I'm still waiting for a definition of acceptable accuracy I asked about two pages ago and nobody addressed the nine FACTUAL issues either, then again that's what happens when emotions get in the way of facts.
RD I wasn't refering to what you said....it was another post.Besides I deliberately side stepped the CRF/PF discussion...Uhh ...arguments....Umm...issue grin

Few weeks back we had a Rem 700 KS MR rechambered to Mashburn at the range.I rapid fired three from it to check function, operated from the shoulder...not a hitch.

I have my own reasons for building my own hunting rifles on CRF actions but they might not make any sense to others so no point in discussing it. smile

Oh no, you guys let Bob thru the cracks and he ended up on a rem 700 thread OOPS.... eek....I've had them and like the looks of the rem 700, don't like the cheap azz stamped steel parts or flaky little extractor, but do like the lighter weight of the 700 and the feel of one when shouldered. I really like the Rem 700 mountain rifle configuration but have had the extractors fail just out on the range and after that happens a few (well maybe more than a few) times (with different rifles) you seriously loose faith and when your out in the woods, you don't need the extra headache. I've been looking at a left handed 270 win rem 700 for the last few weeks and I'd love to buy it if I knew it wouldn't let me down in the woods. Therefore, it still isn't in my safe...
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

there aint nothin' wrong with a push feed model 70....had really good luck with them...

Yes, and look at the simplicity of that beautiful trigger mechanism....Oooolala....
I find it quite amusing that so many are hung up on acceptable out of box accuracy. I've enjoyed shooting lots of rifles Rugers,Remmies,Winchesters,Sakos Mausers and Marlins with many chamberings over the years and always have had good shooters. IMO 3/4 to 1 MOA has always been OK by me however I'm primarily a hunter and don't lose sleep or spend lots of cash over half minutes like many here do. Not criticizing just telling it like it is from my POV.
I think accuracy comes up because the thread is "Why love a 700"?
Rem 700 accuracy is competitive with other bolt action rifles.
That is one of the few things about a Rem700 to love.

What else is to love?
Light weight, lots of parts available, easy to rebarrel, and it is common.

What is not to love?
Trigger, safety, round bottom receiver, bolt handle attachment, tiny extractor, plunge ejector, push feed, failed case gas path, washer for a recoil lug, and glue in barrel threads.
In other words, all the things done to cut costs.

I have hunted with Rem700, Pre 64 M70, 98 Mauser, Sav 110, Ruger #1, 1885 Win, Sav99, and others.
I thought the Ruger #1 was the nicest to hunt with, but as an amateur gunsmith, I would rather rebarrel a 98 Mauser or a Rem 700.
Posted By: battue Re: Why do we love our 700's - 12/15/12
Battue

That can be done
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ree-position-safety-shroud-prod6668.aspx

Blocking the firing pin is better than blocking the trigger.

Well, I do have ONE 700 and If I choose to use it again I have often thought of doing just that. I really would like to have the option on the Nula's. If it was available, I would make the change ASAP. 700s and the clones have proven themselves over and over. 70 or 700? If you can't efficiently use one of them, the other will not help.
© 24hourcampfire