Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Assuming accuracy ain't a concern, I agree...

M700 owners brag about accuracy. M70 owners brag about how much money they spend trying to make them accurate.

I have 2 model 70s that shoot 1/2 MOA or better all the time and both are untouched factory rifles, one featherweight 270 and an old push feed sporter 30-06. And a third that shoots MOA and better with my handloads, another featherweight. I didn't do anything to make them shoot. They just did. And I've been around lots of other bone stock Model 70s that shoot just fine.

Hear lots of things about 700s and how great they shoot. I just don't care to own one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the way they look and the way they shoot.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Awesome selection of aftermarket and takeoff stocks
Most always great shooters (along with many other brands)
Simple, and effective action design
Most all 700s balance near perfect in stock form (say that Ruger WSM owners)
Huge selection of aftermarket parts
Steel parts (except for the floor plate which really pisses me off)
Made by white people

I also love the fact that over the course of a few months I can piece together an unmatching frankenstein-like gun and have it shoot lights out And hang with the best of them...

Last edited by archie_james_c; 12/12/12.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Simple, relatively compact/lightweight action, shoot well, look good have very quick lock time with short firing pin travel. With an aftermarket trigger they can have a trigger as crisp as any high dollar target rifle. I have many rifles that cost much more than 700's but I keep coming back to the 700's. They also carry very well being slender in the magazine area. I hate carring a pregnant guppy feeling stock.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
What Tanner said on page one....they shoot!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had'em when I was young, went to others when middle aged. Now I'm getting older and kind of like them again. Go figure!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Technoman26

M700 owners brag about accuracy. M70 owners brag about how much money they spend trying to make them accurate.

I have 2 model 70s that shoot 1/2 MOA or better all the time and both are untouched factory rifles, one featherweight 270 and an old push feed sporter 30-06. And a third that shoots MOA and better with my handloads, another featherweight. I didn't do anything to make them shoot. They just did. And I've been around lots of other bone stock Model 70s that shoot just fine.

Hear lots of things about 700s and how great they shoot. I just don't care to own one.

Agree with Tecnoman.....been around enough of both.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
jorge touched on the safety issue but I've been around em for more time than I care to remember and haven't seen or heard of one issue.Maybe a glitch in the newer ones but when considering the total production numbers they have a pretty good track record IMO.

Love ya man, but I wouldn't own one (again). All kidding aside, it's just a preference issue.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

EVERY Model 70 I've owned and they've been many, have been at worse MOA shooters.."right out of the box".

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Having seen a safety off a ruger, I really don't like Remy safetys

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had good luck with the M700's(and 600's) that I've owned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea,a lot to be desired...
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Where the heck is the bolt lever arm?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Where the heck is the bolt lever arm?

It's laying on the ground....nice work,Remy!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've plenty of both, but i'll take the M700 if pressed

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities?

To me...I have no idea why. I've never liked them.

+1

If I want something to shoot I go Savage 110 cuz I can tinker myself. If I want a serious custom I go Mauser 98 and variants including Springfield 03. I'd love a Winchester M70. Never had the slightest bit of love for a 700... Just like the 243 & 270 Win cartridges... Nothing necessarily altogether rational, 'cept they suck and everybody and their brother has one. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One can modify a Rem700 to try to bring it up to Win M70 standards:
1) Glue a shroud to the receiver to get a flat receiver bottom to resist bullet twist torque.
2) Get a Sako extractor modification to replace weak extractor with a bigger extractor.
3) Safety blocks trigger, not firing pin..... Gentry 3 position safety on firing pin
4) Recoil lug not attached... drill receiver and buy a Holland pinned recoil lug.
5) Barrel may shake loose, apply glue. Vaughn also has proposed Rem700 design change.
6) Bolt handle soldered on and will break off, TIG weld on handle or drill and tap and add some fasteners.
7) Not controlled feed... no cure
8) Plunger ejector instead of knife blade ejector... no cure
9) Failed case head shoots shooter in the eye with gas... wear eye protection

What does it all mean?
The Rem 700, of all the bolt actions, is the purest example of designed to be cheap to build. With the money saved, Remington can put good barrels on them. Rem 700s shoot well with the original barrels.

I own lots of Rem700s and many others.
The Rem700 is at it's best on a low budget ground squirrel hunt.
The Rem700 is at it's worst in on high budget dangerous game hunt.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.....the flip side is even God himself doesn't have enough money and resources to make a M70 shoot as good as a M700 with a good barrel. Like Steelhead said earlier, if you're not concerned with accuracy.....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've not had or seen the accuracy problems with 700's I have with 70's. I like 70's too though. Yes ill admit to spending money on both. Sometimes for accuracy reasons sometimes to upgrade parts and sometimes for cool factor.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe it's just me but don't think so they still seem to be one the most popular..what it is,simplicity of design,function,clean lines as in easy on the eyes,track record,price or donor possibilities?

To me...I have no idea why. I've never liked them.

Agreed.

Why buy a rifle you have to take a chance on?

Other makes guarantee accuracy - and for less money too.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 38 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.