Home
Posted By: kansas99 Bore Foam - 03/27/13
Wasn't sure where to ask this but I was wondering if anybody has used the Break Free bore foam and how there results were.

Sorry if this was talked about already.

Thanks
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
Not near as good as Wipe Out.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
Wipe Out for me, use a "finger cot" Get at drugstore, looks like a tiny condom, un-roll it over the muzzle, squirt it down the chamber, stick a paper towel in the chamber so it won't creep into the trigger, let her sit all night. Next morning, run a wet patch through and watch all the blue and black crud come running out.
Posted By: kansas99 Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
Thanks guys.

Is there any chance that either one could mess u[ the bluing?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
Haven't used the Break Free stuff, but I've used Gunslick and one other.. Hoppes or Outers maybe? Been a while.

Loved them both. I wipe it off the bluing immediately if it gets on it, but it's never had any affect.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
Like others I can't speak for the Break Free type. Love the Wipe Out though. Haven't noticed any damage to bluing (or Parkerizing). Cleans the s--t out of the bore though. I was amazed at the blue crap still coming out after the first two applications. Third one did the trick though. Now I use that and follow with a patch coated in Sentry Solutions Smooth-Cote. Rifles are pretty easy to clean now.

I wear gloves. Just sayin'

Poster above, Thanks for the finger cot idea. I'll try that. I had been just putting a rag under the muzzle. Finger cot might help to keep the application in the bore and working better.
Posted By: lastround Re: Bore Foam - 03/28/13
As has been said, Wipe-Out for me. Sorry, I haven't felt the need to try anything else.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Bore Foam - 03/30/13
Use wipeout with a bore guide OR especially w/autoloader or lever actions get a chunk of fuel line or plastic tubing with an OD slightly larger than the neck of your case. Push the tube through the ejection port and have it seal off the chamber. Excess foam will travel out the tube and not in the action, on your wood or the bluing. It works perfectly!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Bore Foam - 03/30/13
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Now I use that and follow with a patch coated in Sentry Solutions Smooth-Cote. Rifles are pretty easy to clean

I've used break free foam on rifles and had good luck. You guys just convinced me to try Wipe Out though. I'll be picking some up in the next couple of weeks.

Might havfta buy some of that smooth cote stuff as well.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Bore Foam - 03/30/13
I tried a wipeout knockoff once...I think it was break free. My first application was pretty crazy...it was under so much pressure it blew down the barrel...through the boreguide and hit the wall 10 ' away. I'm thinking that was an isolated deal but I went back to wipeout after that. I've used alot of wipeout over the years and find it consistant and haven't damaged anything using it...at least that I know of!
Posted By: sep Re: Bore Foam - 03/31/13
In lieu of the finger cots I just use a ziplock sandwich bag. You can secure it to the barrel with a rubber band if you like but it's not necessary. A sinclair plastic bore guide works on the other end with a patch stuck in the opening.
Posted By: ClaysEtc Re: Bore Foam - 03/31/13
I use Wipe Out, but always seem to make a mess with to much product.

So I shot a couple of table spoons full in a plastic cup and used a rod
and Nylon brush with a patch, give it a few strokes every now and then
patch it out in the morning, done.

But since I started with DBC, I don't have to do it very often.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Bore Foam - 03/31/13
Wipe out for me as well...will not harm bluing but Lord have mercy it will eat up old stock finishes! Take the time to cover the wood with a shop towel, etc
© 24hourcampfire