Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7592129 03/27/13
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wasn't sure where to ask this but I was wondering if anybody has used the Break Free bore foam and how there results were.

Sorry if this was talked about already.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not near as good as Wipe Out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wipe Out for me, use a "finger cot" Get at drugstore, looks like a tiny condom, un-roll it over the muzzle, squirt it down the chamber, stick a paper towel in the chamber so it won't creep into the trigger, let her sit all night. Next morning, run a wet patch through and watch all the blue and black crud come running out.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys.

Is there any chance that either one could mess u[ the bluing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't used the Break Free stuff, but I've used Gunslick and one other.. Hoppes or Outers maybe? Been a while.

Loved them both. I wipe it off the bluing immediately if it gets on it, but it's never had any affect.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like others I can't speak for the Break Free type. Love the Wipe Out though. Haven't noticed any damage to bluing (or Parkerizing). Cleans the s--t out of the bore though. I was amazed at the blue crap still coming out after the first two applications. Third one did the trick though. Now I use that and follow with a patch coated in Sentry Solutions Smooth-Cote. Rifles are pretty easy to clean now.

I wear gloves. Just sayin'

Poster above, Thanks for the finger cot idea. I'll try that. I had been just putting a rag under the muzzle. Finger cot might help to keep the application in the bore and working better.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As has been said, Wipe-Out for me. Sorry, I haven't felt the need to try anything else.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Use wipeout with a bore guide OR especially w/autoloader or lever actions get a chunk of fuel line or plastic tubing with an OD slightly larger than the neck of your case. Push the tube through the ejection port and have it seal off the chamber. Excess foam will travel out the tube and not in the action, on your wood or the bluing. It works perfectly!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Now I use that and follow with a patch coated in Sentry Solutions Smooth-Cote. Rifles are pretty easy to clean

I've used break free foam on rifles and had good luck. You guys just convinced me to try Wipe Out though. I'll be picking some up in the next couple of weeks.

Might havfta buy some of that smooth cote stuff as well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I tried a wipeout knockoff once...I think it was break free. My first application was pretty crazy...it was under so much pressure it blew down the barrel...through the boreguide and hit the wall 10 ' away. I'm thinking that was an isolated deal but I went back to wipeout after that. I've used alot of wipeout over the years and find it consistant and haven't damaged anything using it...at least that I know of!

IC B3

S
sep Offline
S
In lieu of the finger cots I just use a ziplock sandwich bag. You can secure it to the barrel with a rubber band if you like but it's not necessary. A sinclair plastic bore guide works on the other end with a patch stuck in the opening.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use Wipe Out, but always seem to make a mess with to much product.

So I shot a couple of table spoons full in a plastic cup and used a rod
and Nylon brush with a patch, give it a few strokes every now and then
patch it out in the morning, done.

But since I started with DBC, I don't have to do it very often.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Wipe out for me as well...will not harm bluing but Lord have mercy it will eat up old stock finishes! Take the time to cover the wood with a shop towel, etc

Last edited by Godogs57; 03/31/13.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,301
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.