Home
Posted By: gotcha Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
Been a while since I have posted here,
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Forbes rifle 24B chambered in 6.5x55 Blue action SS barrel.

Any first hand experiences with the forbes rifles?
please chime in. Any one with pics please post Thank you
Carl

Retiring end of Sept from the fire station figure this will scratch my 6.5x55 itch?

Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
There are several threads, including one withing the last couple of days, talking about Forbes rifle experiences. The most recent one shows some test groups with one chambered in 30-06.
Posted By: solrac13 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
You'll like it. I bought a 30-06 last year. Shot .6 inch groups with 1st handload I tried. Only complaint was the pistol grip was a little chunky feeling to me (average size hangs).
Sold it to my huntin' buddy in a weak moment. Have had sellers remorse ever since. Got one in .270 due any day to help get over the loss.
Posted By: gotcha Re: Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
8snake thank you
I Saw that info, on a search I had done thanks just looking for anything additional,
Posted By: Greenback Re: Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
They are great rifles. I've owned two and the accuracy, fit and finish has been excellent. I think they are the best thing going right now as far as factory rifles are concerned.
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 04/30/13
Just purchased one in 25-06. Can't wait to pick ip up and start shooting. Based on the reviews I've seen here it should be a winner.
Posted By: gotcha Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/01/13
When I saw it was available in 6.5x55 I had to inquire
being a 6.5x55 fan
Thinking a swarovski Z3 3x9x36 would top it off?
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/01/13
I think that would be a fantastic setup.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EricM Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
I've never seen a Forbes in 6.5x55. That would be a sweet combination!
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
I ordered mine in 30/06 the first day they started taking orders after the shot show last year, and had it in October. I have really been impressed with mine. It shoots less than MOA at 200 with most everything I've tried, and no more than 1.5 MOA with anything. I killed a nice 5X2 cull buck this past November.

That 6.5X55 is calling my name too.
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
Just ordered my Forbes in 6.5x55 a couple of days ago. Going with the olive green stock. If it's as good as I hope, I'll probably be moving some others out of the safe...
Posted By: avagadro Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
What did they quote you as a lead time??
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
Is the 6.5 an 8 twist?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
I could be wrong, but I think everything they're doing is 10 twist.....
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I could be wrong, but I think everything they're doing is 10 twist.....

I'm sure that the gun is made for the hunter wanting to shoot average hunting bullets so 10" is fine.

On the other hand they coulda twisted them fast for the hunter that wants to shoot/play with higher bc stuff. The other group of hunters would never know they was over stabilizing partitions...
I sent an email asking for specific twist rates (20B 243 and 7-08) and was told 10 was it in everything. To be fair, I didn't specifically ask about the 6.5x55. I took 10 to mean every cartridge they chamber.

I sent a nice reply telling them I thought they were missing the boat with today's shooting trends and bullet options. I also told them that their product filled a niche and that niche contained shooters that looked for high BC bullets. Their response -- Melvin is still making customs....and they're right. Their company, their choice.

I'm still looking forward to the 20B's.

Posted By: greentimber Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
10 is ok in some things, but doesn't even make sense in others. Why in the hell would they do that? No advantage at all from the manufacturer's end to the shooter's end.
Just re-read the email. He said the twist rate for all short actions (243, 7-08, 308) is 1 in 10, with a 3" mag box. He didn't address any of the long actions...

With a mag box length that long, they'd have a home run with faster twists.

...and I totally agree with your response.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/02/13
At any rate, it sounds like a slam dunk candidate for a re-barrel in something twisted/throated appropriately. I can't help but think that a 260 AI or 7/08 AI would be absolute magic in that mag box, and housed in such a nicely designed, svelte rifle.
Yep....and they're supposed to weigh 4.75lb's out of the box.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/03/13
I can slum 95gr nbt in 243 and 120-140 nbt in 708. Awesome killing/shooting bullets no doubt but dangit. Guess if its that important to us a fella could send to Melvin for a retube? Still over a grand less than a NULA.

Not that I'm looking/needing but just going along with the chit chat...
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/03/13
Lol after thinking about it Melvin prolly would like to still sell a custom or two. I wonder how many nulas he'd sell if they offered 8 twist 243 260 and 708?

Only us goof balls would spend over double the money to shoot a few different bullets...laffin
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/03/13
If I were to buy aa NULA, it would be a 284 Winchester.
Posted By: KR13 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/07/13
I got to fondle the Forbes at the NRA conv. I was very impressed. Talked with them for a bit and got to meet Mr. Forbes. Only problem is now I'm trying to decide if I want to change my order from the 06 to the Whelen.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/07/13
I switched from 280 to 6.5 Swede today.The Whelen was a close second.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Was going to buy a 6.5x55 till I saw this,
"and was told 10 was it in everything."

That is a deal breaker for me and very short sighted of Forbes.

Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13

I was thinking 280

Now I think, I will take that money and rebuild another.

Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Originally Posted by SU35

I thought shortactionsmoker amended that to say Forbes was only addressing the short actions?
Posted By: battue Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Funny that before Stick started commenting awhile back about the advantages of a fast twist, most never mentioned it. wink
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
The Forbes catalog shows the 6.5x55 being a 1 in 8 twist and the 35 Whelen a 1 in 14. Check page 5.....

http://downeastdigitalcinema.com/catalogtest/index.html
Posted By: SU35 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Funny that before Stick started commenting awhile back about the advantages of a fast twist, most never mentioned it. wink

Funny, back in the day Stick smoked 25-06's and low BC Barnes bullets.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...Re_Ideal_Mountain_Rifle_LA_Car#Post19570

He got on board the fast-twist high BC bullets late in the game.

The Forbes catalog shows the 6.5x55 being a 1 in 8 twist

That works for me. The first thing I'll do in punch it 6.5-284
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Before ordering mine, I spoke with Gunny at Forbes. He said the twist in the 6.5 is 1-8. That made my choice real easy for that chambering. Can't wait...
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Forbes rifle?s - 05/08/13
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by SU35

I thought shortactionsmoker amended that to say Forbes was only addressing the short actions?

I did.

Good to know they addressed the twist in the 6.5x55. I don't have much interest in the LA rifles. I bought a 270 as soon as they came out. It was an extremely nice rifle that shot better than expected. I wanted to see and shoot one to form my own opinion of the rifle. I sold it soon after because long actions aren't my thing.....knowing I'd be buying a 20B as soon as I possibly could.
© 24hourcampfire