-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen, <BR> I'm looking for an efficient Long Action cartridge to be built into a custom mountain rifle. Looking for modest recoil, fairly flat shooting, and yet have enough authority for a 300 yard shot. Cartridge would have to develop its potential with a 24" barrel. Going with a LA due to a new stainless 700 LA donor action and McMillan Mountain Rifle stock. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Would especially like to hear from Dr. Howell. Thank you, Matt.<P>

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Matt,<BR>I'm not a gun expert or anything close, but I have been checking into the exact same project and I think I'm going with the .280 Ackley Improved. Just something for you to check out. Make your own choices, but it looks rather impressive to me.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cal, <BR> Thank you for your reply. I have also been giving serious consideration to the .280 Improved and the .280 Remington. Best, Matt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hi Matt,<BR>I was fascinated by this same subject about ten years ago before making my decision. The .280 in standard form is just a .270 with 10 grains more of bullet weight, the AI is a different story. I just stuck with the .270, since I wouldn't be using anything any heavier than a 150. The .280 might require a little more work (load development) to get the accuracy you want, but it probably boils down to a personal choice. Ask Echols and Miller which rifle they would build in a standard (non magnum) cartridge, they know more than all of us combined.<BR>JB

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JB, <BR> Nice to hear from you again. I agree that Echols or Miller would probabely be worth a call, however, I hate to call a professional without any intention of using their services. We have a great resource here with Dr. Howell who is kind enough to answer our questions. I hope he weighs in on this one. Best, Matt.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Matt,<BR>I certainly agree about not wasting Echols or Miller's time, at their prices I couldn't afford to say hello. [Linked Image]<BR>JB

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you are considering wildcats why not the 6.5-06? Plentiful cases and light recoil for a light a rifle. The 6.5s have enough bullet weight and BC to go long distance and offer great SD for penetration. Even the 6.5X55 with a 24" barrel will send the 140s close to 2900 FPS. They will easily out penetrate the 7mm 140 grain bullets and fly as flat.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Matt. I'd say you've set rather modest goals. Anything on an '06 case will work. What are you going to shoot ? If elk are on the menu, how about an '06, or a .338-06 ? If it's a deer, and antelope rifle, how about a .25-06 ? The .25-06 has significantly less recoil than the '06. And, with premium bullets; the .25-06 will handle elk fine. I've seen/done lots of critters in that class. But you really need to use premium bullets. I am really surprised at all the .25-06 rifles that I see in the field during the deer seasons. Most of the hunters that use them don't reload. And a fair number of them use them on elk as well. They like it's mild recoil, and the extra weight in the 24 inch barrel. So those are my thoughts. .25-06, or the old '06 itself. Have fun. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt,I bolted up the KS stock,to a 25-06AI barreled action. Tips the scales at 7.25lbs(#2 contour,24" barrel),with dual dovetails and a Leupold 6x42mm. VERY soft shooting,in fact it REALLY suprised me. I'm launching 100gr projectiles,the speed is most impressive,the accuracy stellar. Having been a 25 fan,for quite some time,I can visualize it's effects on Game. No doubt,it will be most convincing,in it's role as a hammer! I let all my buddies bang away with it,they too are impressed. I had nothing but the deepest respect,for the 25-06. The transformation to the Improved version,is most worthy,in my estimation. A splendid cartridge. For the tasks you mention,I highly recommend it..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Stick, <BR> Glad to hear the .25-06 AI worked out so well. Must confess that I am tempted to play with the factory barreled action chambered in .257 Roberts. I know that impresses you about as much as voting for Gore, however, I have had quite a few Roberts related gifts of late. A set of dies, and a goodly supply of new Brass, plus a few boxes of bullets. I think I may experiment a little with the old Roberts before I rebarrel. Thanks for the update... Best, Matt.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt,typical of any 25,with a good barrel,my Roberts shot very well. It failed to impress me,regarding speed. Just picky,I guess? The Roberts and a quality bullet,will put the hurt on a wide spectrum of critters. Give it a fair shake,you mostly likely will have very good luck...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Big Stick, you know I had not even considered shooting that rifle when I bought it. Picked up for the s/s action more than anything else. However, I have had more commentary when I opened the safe on that little rifle than anything else. They look at the box and see limited edition and find it was uncatalogued and well, you get the picture. I figure if nothing else it will give me a good rifle to learn glass bedding on. Plan to go with the Brownell's Acraglass for a beginner. Most smithes say Steel bed, however, I feel better with the thought of chiseling glass bed out than 77% stainless filled epoxy. That is should anything go wrong. Is there a video or really good set of instruction on glass bedding? I figure if its a shooter I can alsways have it professionally bedded into the KS stock.<BR>Best, Matt.<BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,875
Posts18,518,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.