Home
As you may of noticed from my other thread, one of my uncles gave me my grandfather's old .30-06 recently. His generosity got me to thinking about it, and what do you know: I gave my 18 year old nephew a scoped .22 yesterday. Just because. Well there's more to it than that. I've got some guns I have and don't use, and if someone I love can use it and would be appreciative, they just may get it.

If you know anyone worthy, give 'em a gun. It's great and will likely anger a liberal.
Already done...

I have given shotguns and rifles to family and friends and to people I didn't know until I met them and gave them the gun.

I have given guns away to support people at a benefit dinners.

I like to support our shooting sports and get new people started in our great sport.
Already done here too...a few times.

Getting one lined out for my first and only grand-nephew.....
Brother in law, nephew, son, daughter, and now perhaps son in law. I like them to go to folks who need them and know how to use them.
Several individuals have benefited from my benevolence and it was brought to my attention a specific pattern emerged. Most of the rifles were .270 Winchesters.
Nephew already has a minty 514 youth target 22 and a nice 870 pump from his uncle
I give em away pretty often, usually to kids, but to some charities as well.
When my nephew gets old enough, he will get something nice, no worries there. His mom already wants me to take him hunting, and I will when he turns 6.
Same condition. Too many rifles. Not enough time. Started last month. Let each grand child pick one out of a line up. Gave one each to oldest daughter and son-in-law. Will let my son take his choice when he returns from the "Sand Box".
Already done here too...a few times.
Just gave my 13 and 11 yr old nephews the Winchester 9422M my Dad got me for Christmas when I was 13 (1980). Many a Boone, NC squirrel will fall to that sweet shooting little 22 mag.
Don't want to hijack this thread but the same thing has been on my heart for a while. Our son, our only child passed a little over two years ago so there will be no grand kids. My wife's brother's kids are all grown and have no interest in hunting and my own nieces and nephews are the same, no interest and on the opposite end of the country. Hopefully a left handed youngster with a passion for hunting and guns will come into our lives.

Mart
Got 2 in the hopper.....
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I have given shotguns and rifles to family and friends and to people I didn't know until I met them and gave them the gun.

I have given guns away to support people at a benefit dinners.

I like to support our shooting sports and get new people started in our great sport.

grin

I can think of one who you helped with the help of the fire..

Can't think of his name.. oh well... grin

My one uncle hunt's and all that.. but he isn't an uncle to me. He was when I was younger but not now or ever again.

My other uncle is a liberal.. I don't have many choices.. wink
I have three nephews. One 16, one 10 and the other is a baby. The 16 year old has been hunting crazy since he was kid. His parents bought him a single shot 223 as his first deer rifle. He saved birthday/Christmas money and bought a used Leupold.

A few years ago, he wanted to step up his game. He did odd jobs thru the summer, but was still short come fall. We made several trips to the LGS to find him the perfect rig on the cheap. The last time we left disappointed, I decided he could shop in my safe. He left the house with a Kimber Classic Select in 260 Remington.

His buck with said rifle from last season...

[Linked Image]

Fast forward to this spring. We're shooting at the house and he watches a one-hole group shot at 100 with my newest 260. He left the Kimber with me and I let him take the custom rig home.

[Linked Image]

That's the two biggest beatings I've ever taken on a rifle, but we're both all smiles. Uncles want their nephews to have nice stuff too...
Nice looking Ruger setup. I hope the young fella knows what he has. From the sounds of it, he does though.
Hey SAS, if you need another nephew, I'm available!!

One of my nephews is big into cowboy action, he will get my Sharps 45-70 or a SxS.
Would it make me the dirtbag uncle if I gave away a Ruger American in .270? My "niece" is about 15 and I'm thinking about picking up one of the Blue Digital Camo models for her. Thinking I can load 110 grain Sierras or 120 grain SST's to make recoil friendly.

CT, I am not familiar with the Ruger you mention, but the .270 has always been one of my favorite calibers for young folks with the reloading program you have in mind.. We have done that several times.. Great idea..
SAS, Wish I would have uncles like you..AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the input. The rifle is no more than the Ruger American they introduced last year, but it has a coating on the stock that looks like the navy's version of digital camouflage.

BTDT great feeling passing it on.
Multiple times.
I gave my nephew a 336 Marlin for Graduation this year.
I had traded for it from his father and didnt know it kind of PO him. I kept it about a year and then gave it to him. Can I say he grinned.
Just gave my neighbor's son a .22 military trainer as a hs graduation present. He is a good kid-smiles all around.
Didn't mention in this earlier thread I gave this .243 to my nephew after he slew his first deer with it in the TN Young Sportsman's Hunt. It now abides in Estes Park and will likely grass a few coyotes, deer, antelope and elk before he's big enough to start hauling around the Browning .300 WM he won at RMEF Banquet couple years back... :

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/7013800/Re_Nephew_Nate_bags_6_pt_with_
It's a good feeling when you give a rifle to a young man. I gave 3 campfire members rifles for the boys. I've received pictures of them with deer shot with the rifle. Priceless !

Ken
© 24hourcampfire