Home
Posted By: 1tnhunter Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/11/14
Looking at the weather warrior in 260. Whats your opinion on this rifle?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/11/14

Well made field rifle by Savage...no frills...260 Rem w/8 twist

Lots of aftermarket barrels & parts & stocks...

Get tired of the 260......screw something else on in 30 minutes

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
I've owned and shot quite a few savage rifles and they all shot as well as much higher priced rifles. The problem I see with savage rifles though is they are butt ugly and no longer cheap.
I'm not crazy about the factory stocks or the AccuTrigger, but the good outweighs the bad.

My favorite Savage model is the 16FSS....center feed, blind mag box. I've owned a few and they've been really good shooters. The mag boxes are spacious and permit the use of long-for-caliber bullets. Feeding is usually smooth and I've never had an issue with extraction.

Barrels, bolt heads and mag boxes can be changed easily. This makes it easy to go back and forth from the 223 family to the 308 family.

A guy could easily buy a 16FSS, a few barrels, a spare bolt head, another mag box and be set to hunt anything in North America.....especially after the trigger switch and dropping it in a McMillan!
Posted By: efw Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/11/14
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I've owned and shot quite a few savage rifles and they all shot as well as much higher priced rifles. The problem I see with savage rifles though is they are butt ugly and no longer cheap.

Originally Posted by tikkanut

Well made field rifle by Savage...no frills...260 Rem w/8 twist

Lots of aftermarket barrels & parts & stocks...

Get tired of the 260......screw something else on in 30 minutes

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Both of those pretty much said it all.

They're crazy accurate for the cost and if you

A) are fine with "just" a hunting rifle

Or

B) like to tinker w/ different cartridges

They ROCK.
I had an older WW in 7 mag, nothing done to it and it shot MOA with a cheap Pentax in Talleys.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
My go-to deer hunting rifle is a weather warrior in .250 savage. Can't help it, I love the thing. Crappustock and all.
I'd rather get caught with a fat woman, than have to hunt with a butt ugly rifle...
Posted By: geedubya Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
In the past I have been heard to say many times,

If the only thing I was interested in was acccuracy

[Linked Image]

100 yds., off bench.
[Linked Image]

and another fair group, at 200 yds.
[Linked Image]

All my rifles would be Savage.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14

GWB

what series/caliber is that Salvage ?
Model 10 FCP-K, 308 Winchester

Best,

GWB
Thanks fellas, kinda figured the stock was like any other injection molded junk, but you can get a good after market to replace it. Trigger was bit of concern. But one of the few that chamber in 260 that I can afford.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
Go for it, I have a Model 10 Predator Hunter Max in 260 Rem and it is a tackdriver, the lighter barrel on the one you are looking at is going to be very close to that model when it comes to accuracy. I don't get the whole Savage being ugly thing they look pretty good to me, to those who think that have you seen some of the other guns out there?
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
The RUM chamberings are blowing to pieces. mtmuley
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Thanks fellas, kinda figured the stock was like any other injection molded junk, but you can get a good after market to replace it. Trigger was bit of concern. But one of the few that chamber in 260 that I can afford.

Triggers are good....just takes time to get the feel of them..

My 308 M10 Whitetail Hunter 308...Accue trigger adjusted down to a nice

safe 25 oz...they also make a target trigger spring replacement for $7

I'm also a Savagenut....... grin

http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=25
Tikka was another gun that I looked at. Just cant get to like that rifle.
Been thinking about two

Savage Model 14 American classic in 250 savage.

Long Range Hunter, 6.5 x 284.

More than likely will wait and buy pre-enjoyed.

Just haven't seen them at the price I want to pay.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: roundoak Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
When my son's company was working on a 3 year project in South Dakota and the first time I drove out to visit I brought along my Ruger 77V 22-250 to do some varmint shooting. He talked me into leaving it with him. (What are parents for?)

Now without a 22-250 I went shopping for one and got a good deal on a Weather Warrior 16. It is a joy to carry and shoot. I don't think about the Ruger in South Dakota much anymore.

[Linked Image]

I've only owned 3 Savages, 116 FHSS (300 WIn), 116 FHSS (375 Ruger) and a Stevens 200 (243). None fed the best. I tweaked the boxes to get them working, but they were still not very slick at feeding. I checked with some of the Savage nuts and they said that smooth feeding was not a strong point with those rifles. I didn't have those rifles for very long so I didn't mess with them any further.

Anyone else have feed issues with Savages? It seems like the feedlips end too far back and release the cartridge too early.

Jason
Both 116 rifles had the Accustock which was fairly stiff (except the very tip of the forearm), but still looked and felt like milkjug plastic. I think the Tikka stock is nicer.

I didn't have a problem shooting with the Accutrigger but still didn't like the blade and the fact that the trigger deactivated if pressed on the side. Whether this is a real issue or not it debatable, but I still didn't care for it since the rifle needs to be re-cocked to fire. I know... don't push the trigger that way!

Jason
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
I bought my daughters Savage youth package rifles. They don't realize that Savages are ugly and are quite happy with them.

To tell you the truth, they're kind of growing on me! smile

If I bought one myself, it would be a Weather Warrior.

Posted By: gerry35 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
I didn't care much for the way my blind magazine 30-06 fed although when I loaded it carefully it was reliable. The detachable magazine is much better at least the one I have is. I did tweak the rails of the magazine to make sure the 1st round on a full magazine fed right. I like the Accustock on mine, and have no trouble with the Accutrigger.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
I really like the pre accutrigger savages,,,have a rimfire accutrigger and it has always worked well though
Since you asked for opinions, I think the Salvage's are the most ugly factory rifle being offered on the market today. Makes a Tikka look like it came from D'Arcy's shop.
The two Savages I've worked with both shot very well. The .22-250 would put 5 in an area you could cover with a dime. The center-feed .30-06 had problems feeding and went back to Savage. Feeds fine now.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Savage Model 14 American classic in 250

Gdub: go for it.

as for the LRH, mehhh ....
Posted By: TCRJ Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
Jason,
I have seen 2 new 11/111 lightweights that have feeding problems.
The first is in 6.5 Creedmoor, it won't feed from the clip, it jams in chamber and has to be backed out a little and double fed. Gun is being sent back to Savage.
I looked at a new 111/LW in 6.5/284 at a gun shop, really like the gun so I brought 3 dummy loaded rounds (just brass and bullet/ no powder and primer).
Had the guy behind counter load the clip and try to feed, same thing, would not feed.
I think Savage has a problem, how could these guns leave the factory like this?
bearstalker - Agreed. Despite having 4 Savages (1-preAccutrigger, 3-w/ Accutrigger) AND a Tikka.

Savages were purchased for their accuracy, weather resistance and price. They're not M70's, M700's, NULA, Cooper etc. BTW - they're are harder to find after-market stocks for as they've changed action screw spacing, bolt stop locations and have flat topped / round tops. Must drive stock-makers and ring mfgr's crazy. Used as intended I've no issues with them.
Homesteader
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
Over rated IMHO. I've heard all of the accuracy claims. To be honest, I've never shot a Savage that was bad, never shot one that was any more accurate than any other rifle either. Some of the budget models sold at Walmart etc. were good guns for the price several years ago. But there are quite a few options now in the same price range or cheaper that will shoot every bit as good. And look better.

Once you get into the walnut stocked or SS models they are priced HIGHER than the competition, and no more accurate or reliable. They put a decent piece of wood on some of their guns, but it is still a stick of wood on a butt ugly rifle.

If I wanted SS on a budget I'd buy a Ruger All Weather for about the same money and get the CRF advantages. Street prices on the SS Winchester Ultimate Shadow isn't that much more than the SS Savage rifles.
Ok, so you guys that own both Savage & Tikka, which one do you like better.
I've shot both, the Savage in a 300WM and the Tikka in a 243. Both are accurate, Tikka has a nicer trigger, IMO.
Things that I don't like about the Tikka:
1) bolt shroud
2) Recoil lugs
3) magazine clip
4) stock (haven't seen an injection molded one that I do like in all honesty)
But of the things I dislike i cant really say that ive heard of any issues with them.

Savages, other that shooting one I don't know much about them, never really paid attention to them. IMO their looks do leave a little to be desired but I could live with that!
Posted By: RevMike Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14

Model 16 in .260 Rem. Hog was 350+. One shot, DRT with my daughter in tow. Agreed that the rifle doesn't look like my M70 FTW, but it's extremely accurate and I don't worry about babying it around to keep it from getting dinged up climbing in and out of a tree stand. It's a good rifle and will do anything you ask of it.

By the way, if you want classic looks and can't get past the looks of the Savage action (which I don't think are all that bad, and frankly I don't think the Tikka is going to take home any awards for beauty either), Remington is supposed to be bringing out the M700 SPS with a 1:8 twist. It's in the 2014 catalog but I've not yet seen any on the LGS shelves.

[Linked Image]
I doubt you'll be getting a Tikka SS Lite in 260 Remington. If the 260 and stainless is a stipulation, Savage is about the only choice. You could go Sako and meet your goal....there are a few floating around.

You could also order a Cooper 54 Excalibur in 260 with the all stainless option.

Ruger made a run of All Weather Hawkeye's last year in 260. CDNN had them for a while. Watch Gunbroker for those.

If you could live with a blued rifle, Remington is now chambering the 700SPS in 260 and it has an 8" twist.

Montana Rifle Company also chambers the 260 in their XWR-SS. I've owned one of those and it was an excellent shooter.
I've had 3 Salvages (two Accustocks) and 5 Tikklers (T3 Lites and Varmint). I like the stock on the Tikkas better. Plastic, but stiff and not like milk jugs! Fit and finish on the Tikka is better. T3 Lite is lighter than a comparable Savage.

All the Tikkas shot great. One Savage was easy to find a load (300 Win) but the other was 1.25-1.5 (375R) and I didn't work on it too much. In general they are probably fairly equal in terms of accuracy, but the Savage will be heavier.

One advantage the Savage has is gas handling. Baffle in the front, baffle in the rear. Vent holes in the side. If something goes wrong, the Tikka doesn't have much to stop gasses from travelling down the left lug raceway, although there is a vent hole on the left. I know a lot of guys could care less about gas handling but the Savage has some features to vent gasses away from the shooter.

Jason

An opinion......I can buy a Savage, put it in a Mickey, and replace the trigger....OR....for the same money I can buy two M700's or two M77's or a Cooper. Just my two cents worth.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14
Originally Posted by lastround
An opinion......I can buy a Savage, put it in a Mickey, and replace the trigger....OR....for the same money I can buy two M700's or two M77's or a Cooper. Just my two cents worth.

????? Can you justify that statement? I can't wrap my head around the math. You certainly can't do that here with our prices.
Originally Posted by RevMike

it's extremely accurate and I don't worry about babying it around to keep it from getting dinged up climbing in and out of a tree stand. It's a good rifle and will do anything you ask of it.

that sums up my thoughts. They are tools. 3 lb trigger, good accuracy, stainless/synthetic. the centerfeed models I own, and its a couple of them, feed flawlessly. not the right weight if you want an ultralight, but the right weight if you want a traditional sporter.
Savage barrels, and factory stocks are dogcrap. The metal finish and machining is also crude. I own one, and have been around a lot of them, and they are not in the same class as a Tikka. Sorry, but that is reality.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by lastround

????? Can you justify that statement? I can't wrap my head around the math. You certainly can't do that here with our prices.

Hi AB,
I kind of figured that would stir things up. Here is my reasoning based on prices at my LGS: Savage M16 stainless. $650.00
McMillen stock & a trigger $650.00 = $1300.00

M700 SPS stainless. $638.00
M77 All Weather. $649.00

Maybe I'm a little short on the Cooper Stainless at $1580.00 but IMO it's worth the difference. YMMV, but that is how I see it. Everybody has an opinion; this is just mine.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/12/14

1TN: Are you absolutely settled on the .260?

1TN: Are you absolutely settled on the .260?

Welllllllllll, to be honest I keep flip floppin between the 260 & 7MM08. I own a 243, so it would make more sense to go 7-08. But something about the 6.5MM that's got my attention.
If Remington does indeed offer the 260 in the SPS and I decided on the 260 that would be my rifle of choice.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Model 10 FCP-K, 308 Winchester

Best,

GWB
I got one, and it's so accurate that my buddy got one just like it. They'll both go five for five on clay pigeons at 300 metres.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
1TN: are you planning to reload? The only reason I ask is that you mentioned something about finances and factory .260 ain't cheap. 7-08 is a bit cheaper, and if you want to shoot Prvi you can order it for about $17 per box. I don't know what you're planning to do with the rifle, but the inexpensive Prvi shoots great in my 7x57. As much as I like my .260, unless you're hand-loading you might want to give the 7-08 another look.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
I have a 110E in 7mm RM. Bought it from someone who got it off the used rack. So I am at least the 3rd owner. Shot great just the way I bought, but I bedded it and changed to a Timney trigger. With good reloads and good technique it is consistent MOA or better. I have thought about a new stock and a new barrel, but don't see the need as of now.

I just recently got another 110E in 243win, so it is the long action, which means I can convert it to whatever I would want, although I was actually wanting a 243. May perk it up at some point, but I need to shoot and see if and what is needed.
None are pretty, but I don't take them dancing, I use them to get dirty and make holes in animals and paper.
Originally Posted by Sponxx

None are pretty, but I don't take them dancing, I use them to get dirty and make holes in animals and paper.

Amen to that!
Rev,

I don't reload but plan to in the very near future.
1tnhunter - Tikka action (IMO) is smoother than the Savages. Shroud - no opinion. Same with recoil lug and stock. Mags for both are overpriced except the Savages are metal and not "polymer" i.e. plastic. Homesteader
4th.Point - ref: groups w/ .375 Ruger. Considering the rounds power and the lite-weight of the Savage my hats off to you for shooting those smallish groups. Homesteader
Posted By: deflave Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
I have owned them and they were accurate, but that is where the good stopped.

Every one I've been around has had feeding issues and some of the newest ones are so rough I thought I was breaking something when I ran the bolt.

They ain't exactly cheap any more either.

Travis
The only thing is, the OP is looking for a .260. If Remington gaffs and doesn't bring out the SPS in .260, outside of the M7, Sako, Cooper, MRC, and then moving on into the custom market at multiples of the Savage price, Savage is about the only game in town (at least on the "new" market).
Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
Rev,

I don't reload but plan to in the very near future.
I'd suggest that you stick the new gun money into a reloading setup and get the rifle later. Loading your own makes all the centerfires you currently have much more fun and interesting.

I have a Savage 10 with an aftermarket 260 Rem barrel. Not as good looking as my other rifles, but I really dig the safety operation and location. Someone earlier mentioned gas handling. This past summer I blew a primer (not paying enough attention when working up a load) and didn't realize it until I went to work the bolt. Had to have the ejector replaced, but other than that all was well. I'm seriously considering getting a second barrel for mine in 358 Hoosier.
[Linked Image]

Mrs. Tide likes hers pretty good. She took her first buck with it a couple seasons ago. It is a varmint setup in .270 WSM. I load 110 grain TTSX's for her and sucks the life out of whitetail creatures.

Accuracy is good, and it does what she wants. I actually bought that rifle on closeout, and if memory serves, I paid less than 500 for it.

Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
atta boy Mrs. Tide! thats kind of interesting, I didn't know they did a heavy barrel 270 wsm.
The only thing is, the OP is looking for a .260. If Remington gaffs and doesn't bring out the SPS in .260, outside of the M7, Sako, Cooper, MRC, and then moving on into the custom market at multiples of the Savage price, Savage is about the only game in town (at least on the "new" market).

That's why God gave us the 7-08.

Sheesh... I gotta point out everything around here.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Nah, God shoots a .275 Rigby.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
atta boy Mrs. Tide! thats kind of interesting, I didn't know they did a heavy barrel 270 wsm.

I don't think they catalog it anymore, like I mentioned I bought it on closeout.

She was looking for a heavy barreled setup in a light kicking cartridge just north of a 243. I was looking for a 25-06, honestly, but wasn't having any luck locating one at a price I could stand to pay at the time.

I ran up on the 270 WSM and decided it was close enough for government work, so to speak. There was, and maybe still is, some discussion as to whether the WSM round is any better than the WCF round, but it didn't matter for my purposes.

I don't know how many deer she has taken with it, but I've taken a couple, and Tide Jr. killed one with it during the 2012 season. I also bumped off a feral donkey with it one season, using the 110 grain TTSX. It worked like a lightning bolt, BTW.

That rifle has dings, scratches and other hunting marks, but she still reaches for it when she plans to get serious about bumping off a deer.
[Linked Image]

Here is another one she bumped off with it, I think, in 2012.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
Savage are great rifles and very very accurate.

OH! And everyone knows God shoots a WBY
Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
Originally Posted by Fotis

No I don't... wink

I wouldn't own a Savage.
I had an old 110 years ago in .270 Win. The old gun shot great. We used to put water jugs on an opposing hillside and see how far away we could hit them. I wish I still had that gun. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for an American made tack driver, without breaking the bank.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
The 99's are nice rifles.....

Travis

Nah, God shoots a .275 Rigby.

Pfffttt. Even little tiny baby Jesus has more sense than that.

I'm sure God knows a thing or two about twist rates and cartridge selection.

Travis
Travis - "Sheesh... I gotta point out everything around here." It's a tuff job but somebody has to do it...why not you? Doing what you're good at. Homesteader
Posted By: colodog Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
I have lots of fun with my Salvage rifles, 5 rifles and 14 or 15 barrels from 22-250 to 416 Taylor.
A couple Savages I've left alone and shot as is.
It's my duty to test a bunch of cartridges or I'll lose my Loonie Card. shocked
Buying a barrel and a set of dies rather than another rifle each time I get the itch for something new has always made sense to me.
I personally prefer the Stainless rifles and have 2 in 260rem but as has been stated they aren't cheap anymore.
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Travis - "Sheesh... I gotta point out everything around here." It's a tuff job but somebody has to do it...why not you? Doing what you're good at. Homesteader

I'm here for you.

Unless I'm not.

Travis
Posted By: Fotis Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/13/14
Originally Posted by pointer

No I don't... wink

Never got the memo huh? grin
Posted By: Loggah Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
Best shooting American made rifle for the money, and barrel ,caliber changes on demand. grin
Originally Posted by Homesteader
4th.Point - ref: groups w/ .375 Ruger. Considering the rounds power and the lite-weight of the Savage my hats off to you for shooting those smallish groups. Homesteader

That thing had some kick with the 260gr NAB at 2900 fps. In fact the lock-ring on the Leupold scope would not stay tight crazy Had that sucker cranked as tight as I could by hand. Even tried using a strap wrench and it just spun.

I had to use a little blue Loc-tite on the threads. One of the techs at Leupold had some ideas but the Loc-tite did the trick.

Jason
I have owned them and they were accurate, but that is where the good stopped.

Every one I've been around has had feeding issues and some of the newest ones are so rough I thought I was breaking something when I ran the bolt.

They ain't exactly cheap any more either.

Travis

I agree with the price. Lots a budget combos for little money, but if you want the Accustock/Accutrigger they are $700+ around here. Seems a bit high. Somewhat hard to find too. I think there are more people looking for a lower price point.

A couple stores here have also decided to stop selling the Ruger Hawkeyes due to cost. Seen a few on closeout for $550 in stainless/synthetic. They were originally selling for $700+.

Jason
Posted By: iddave Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
Picked up a Cabela's exclusive Savage 10-T in .308 yesterday.

It came stock with some crazy looking tactical shifter, a picatinny rail, the accu-stock, accu-trigger, DBM magazine with constraints at 3.10ish, in a 10 twist heavy-weight contour finished at 24".

Time will tell I guess, but for $550 it seemed like and awful lot of gun for a guy wanting to dabble in long(er) ranges.

Dave
Travis - "I'm here for you. Unless I'm not." How can you tell?
Homesteader.
4th. Point - you know you've had a session with a kicker when you chew aspirin like salted peanuts. Perhaps their stock design needs a bit of tweakin' Homesteader.
Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
Originally Posted by pointer

No I don't... wink

Never got the memo huh? grin
I got the memo, I just can't afford their ammo! laugh
Posted By: deflave Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I agree with the price. Lots a budget combos for little money, but if you want the Accustock/Accutrigger they are $700+ around here. Seems a bit high. Somewhat hard to find too. I think there are more people looking for a lower price point.

A couple stores here have also decided to stop selling the Ruger Hawkeyes due to cost. Seen a few on closeout for $550 in stainless/synthetic. They were originally selling for $700+.

Jason

A Hawkeye can be treated like a woman and still be handed down to your kid's, kid's, kid's, kids'.

Travis
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
My last two p/dog rig builds have been set up on the Salvage

target action...solid bottom s/shot...large shank...target

Accue trigger breaks at 14 oz...completed they weigh in at 17#...

20/222 and a LR mamma 6.5x55...Pac Nor tubes...accurate..yes..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Opinions on Savage rifles - 02/14/14
Oh my sweet, fancy, infant, Moses....

A .20 cal wildcat, combined with a Savage?

Say 12 Hail Mary's and GFY.

Travis

I've been know to be a 'Savagenut' too...here's my 6XC

Recent teardown for cleaning.... crazy

[Linked Image]

You guys ever hear of a 223 AI...yept...Salvage s/shot

[Linked Image]

Or a real sweetheart....20 Vartarg....Salvage s/shot...

[Linked Image]

20 Vartarg...20 Practical.....204 Ruger...223AI...(L-R)

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire