-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my daughters Savage youth package rifles. They don't realize that Savages are ugly and are quite happy with them.

To tell you the truth, they're kind of growing on me! smile

If I bought one myself, it would be a Weather Warrior.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't care much for the way my blind magazine 30-06 fed although when I loaded it carefully it was reliable. The detachable magazine is much better at least the one I have is. I did tweak the rails of the magazine to make sure the 1st round on a full magazine fed right. I like the Accustock on mine, and have no trouble with the Accutrigger.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the pre accutrigger savages,,,have a rimfire accutrigger and it has always worked well though

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Since you asked for opinions, I think the Salvage's are the most ugly factory rifle being offered on the market today. Makes a Tikka look like it came from D'Arcy's shop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The two Savages I've worked with both shot very well. The .22-250 would put 5 in an area you could cover with a dime. The center-feed .30-06 had problems feeding and went back to Savage. Feeds fine now.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by geedubya
Savage Model 14 American classic in 250

Gdub: go for it.

as for the LRH, mehhh ....

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
T
Jason,
I have seen 2 new 11/111 lightweights that have feeding problems.
The first is in 6.5 Creedmoor, it won't feed from the clip, it jams in chamber and has to be backed out a little and double fed. Gun is being sent back to Savage.
I looked at a new 111/LW in 6.5/284 at a gun shop, really like the gun so I brought 3 dummy loaded rounds (just brass and bullet/ no powder and primer).
Had the guy behind counter load the clip and try to feed, same thing, would not feed.
I think Savage has a problem, how could these guns leave the factory like this?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bearstalker - Agreed. Despite having 4 Savages (1-preAccutrigger, 3-w/ Accutrigger) AND a Tikka.

Savages were purchased for their accuracy, weather resistance and price. They're not M70's, M700's, NULA, Cooper etc. BTW - they're are harder to find after-market stocks for as they've changed action screw spacing, bolt stop locations and have flat topped / round tops. Must drive stock-makers and ring mfgr's crazy. Used as intended I've no issues with them.
Homesteader

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Over rated IMHO. I've heard all of the accuracy claims. To be honest, I've never shot a Savage that was bad, never shot one that was any more accurate than any other rifle either. Some of the budget models sold at Walmart etc. were good guns for the price several years ago. But there are quite a few options now in the same price range or cheaper that will shoot every bit as good. And look better.

Once you get into the walnut stocked or SS models they are priced HIGHER than the competition, and no more accurate or reliable. They put a decent piece of wood on some of their guns, but it is still a stick of wood on a butt ugly rifle.

If I wanted SS on a budget I'd buy a Ruger All Weather for about the same money and get the CRF advantages. Street prices on the SS Winchester Ultimate Shadow isn't that much more than the SS Savage rifles.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, so you guys that own both Savage & Tikka, which one do you like better.
I've shot both, the Savage in a 300WM and the Tikka in a 243. Both are accurate, Tikka has a nicer trigger, IMO.
Things that I don't like about the Tikka:
1) bolt shroud
2) Recoil lugs
3) magazine clip
4) stock (haven't seen an injection molded one that I do like in all honesty)
But of the things I dislike i cant really say that ive heard of any issues with them.

Savages, other that shooting one I don't know much about them, never really paid attention to them. IMO their looks do leave a little to be desired but I could live with that!

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Looking at the weather warrior in 260. Whats your opinion on this rifle?

Model 16 in .260 Rem. Hog was 350+. One shot, DRT with my daughter in tow. Agreed that the rifle doesn't look like my M70 FTW, but it's extremely accurate and I don't worry about babying it around to keep it from getting dinged up climbing in and out of a tree stand. It's a good rifle and will do anything you ask of it.

By the way, if you want classic looks and can't get past the looks of the Savage action (which I don't think are all that bad, and frankly I don't think the Tikka is going to take home any awards for beauty either), Remington is supposed to be bringing out the M700 SPS with a 1:8 twist. It's in the 2014 catalog but I've not yet seen any on the LGS shelves.

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I doubt you'll be getting a Tikka SS Lite in 260 Remington. If the 260 and stainless is a stipulation, Savage is about the only choice. You could go Sako and meet your goal....there are a few floating around.

You could also order a Cooper 54 Excalibur in 260 with the all stainless option.

Ruger made a run of All Weather Hawkeye's last year in 260. CDNN had them for a while. Watch Gunbroker for those.

If you could live with a blued rifle, Remington is now chambering the 700SPS in 260 and it has an 8" twist.

Montana Rifle Company also chambers the 260 in their XWR-SS. I've owned one of those and it was an excellent shooter.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 02/12/14.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 3 Salvages (two Accustocks) and 5 Tikklers (T3 Lites and Varmint). I like the stock on the Tikkas better. Plastic, but stiff and not like milk jugs! Fit and finish on the Tikka is better. T3 Lite is lighter than a comparable Savage.

All the Tikkas shot great. One Savage was easy to find a load (300 Win) but the other was 1.25-1.5 (375R) and I didn't work on it too much. In general they are probably fairly equal in terms of accuracy, but the Savage will be heavier.

One advantage the Savage has is gas handling. Baffle in the front, baffle in the rear. Vent holes in the side. If something goes wrong, the Tikka doesn't have much to stop gasses from travelling down the left lug raceway, although there is a vent hole on the left. I know a lot of guys could care less about gas handling but the Savage has some features to vent gasses away from the shooter.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An opinion......I can buy a Savage, put it in a Mickey, and replace the trigger....OR....for the same money I can buy two M700's or two M77's or a Cooper. Just my two cents worth.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
An opinion......I can buy a Savage, put it in a Mickey, and replace the trigger....OR....for the same money I can buy two M700's or two M77's or a Cooper. Just my two cents worth.

????? Can you justify that statement? I can't wrap my head around the math. You certainly can't do that here with our prices.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RevMike

it's extremely accurate and I don't worry about babying it around to keep it from getting dinged up climbing in and out of a tree stand. It's a good rifle and will do anything you ask of it.

that sums up my thoughts. They are tools. 3 lb trigger, good accuracy, stainless/synthetic. the centerfeed models I own, and its a couple of them, feed flawlessly. not the right weight if you want an ultralight, but the right weight if you want a traditional sporter.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Savage barrels, and factory stocks are dogcrap. The metal finish and machining is also crude. I own one, and have been around a lot of them, and they are not in the same class as a Tikka. Sorry, but that is reality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by lastround

????? Can you justify that statement? I can't wrap my head around the math. You certainly can't do that here with our prices.

Hi AB,
I kind of figured that would stir things up. Here is my reasoning based on prices at my LGS: Savage M16 stainless. $650.00
McMillen stock & a trigger $650.00 = $1300.00

M700 SPS stainless. $638.00
M77 All Weather. $649.00

Maybe I'm a little short on the Cooper Stainless at $1580.00 but IMO it's worth the difference. YMMV, but that is how I see it. Everybody has an opinion; this is just mine.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

1TN: Are you absolutely settled on the .260?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike

1TN: Are you absolutely settled on the .260?

Welllllllllll, to be honest I keep flip floppin between the 260 & 7MM08. I own a 243, so it would make more sense to go 7-08. But something about the 6.5MM that's got my attention.
If Remington does indeed offer the 260 in the SPS and I decided on the 260 that would be my rifle of choice.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,343
Posts18,526,900
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.