Home
A kid I work with is pretty imppressed with the .300 Blackout. Telling me all kinds of stuff and referencing youtube. I don't know squat about the cartridge, but he showed me one. Don't look like an elk killer to me. mtmuley
With a 125 grain bullet it's about an AK47 minus 75 yards.
I've shot a deer and a pig with the .300 BO, with subsonic loads. lost the deer, had to shoot the pig more than once. I might shoot small game or pests with subsonic loads. Elk? No, period.

With supersonic loads and good bullets? probably yes to deer and pigs. No to elk, again.

if it was in my living room and i had a clear eyeball shot.
A 30-30 would be much better!
And I've got a S&W M&P AR15 in .300 ACC or Black Out that I have killed several Hogs with the standard velocity loads. But most of my shots have been under 100 yards, and it's worked well enough.
Even so, I'm not at all impressed with its ballistics. I bought mine soley for a specialized hog gun to use with the subsonic loads and a suppressor.

To me, it's a 150 yard hunting round for Varmints, hogs, and small body Whitetails like we have here in TX.

Would I hunt Elk with It ??? Oh Hell NO!

I'd prefer my Hawken .54 cal Muzzle Loader with a Round Ball over the 300 ACC

But, I hunt Elk with my 300 RUM, so it's not a concern for me.
I shot one doe a few years ago with a 125gr Ballistic Tip, launched from a mildly loaded .30-30 at around ~2250 fps. It did an impressive job on the doe, and that's about the same speed you'd get from a .300 BO.

The doe shot with the BO took a subsonic 220 Matchking. Left a decent blood trail. Last I saw though, she was running like hell over a hill, on the next ranch, 200 yards away. The pig was shot with the 220 gr Outlaw State, which is supposed to expand at subsonic speeds. The entrances looked about the same as the exits.
Just a general rule of thumb I like to follow: Anyone referencing Youtube videos as their primary source of experience likely doesn't have a freaking clue what they are talking about.
If I could banish any one cartridge from the planet, that would probably be the one. I work in a gun shop and almost get physically ill when I get some "Tacticool" wannabe in the store that has drank the Blackout Kool-Aid. A certain gunwriter described the Blackout as an "ideal deer and hog cartridge out to 300 yards" and some of these newbies take it as gospel.
No. But I have a 30-06 for shooting elk.

If all I had were a 300 blackout, I would shoot an elk with it. I would limit my shots to broadside at 150 yards or less. Or I would purchase a Ruger American in 30-06.
Since I would not hunt elk with said round, no.
Originally Posted by mtmuley
A kid I work with is pretty imppressed with the .300 Blackout. Telling me all kinds of stuff and referencing youtube. I don't know squat about the cartridge, but he showed me one. Don't look like an elk killer to me. mtmuley

tell the kid to join a religious cult instead of a gun cult, he is a moron either way and will have better luck suckin up to some nut job guru than twisting some imbecilic idea about a suppressor cartridge into wounding large game animals.
I pretty much knew it was a no go as far as an elk cartridge. He likes ARs and the tactical stuff. Yesterday he swore a guy was smacking steel at 900 every shot with one. I think today we might have a lunchtime discussion about some things. mtmuley
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
if it was in my living room and i had a clear eyeball shot.

+1........elk are tough critters
Would I shoot an elk with a .300AAC (Blackout)? Absolutely, yes.

Is it the ideal elk cartridge? No.

With the right loads and in terms of retained energy, my .300AAC (110g Barnes TAC-TX @ ~2400fps) is close to par with my .44 Mag carbine loads (240g @ 1881fps), with which I�ve hunted elk many times. The .300AAC has lower energy out to something past 150 yards but impact velocity is much higher.

Do I plan to hunt elk with the .300BLK? No. If I did would I pass given a 150 yard broadside opportunity? No.
Looking at some QL data, it looks possible to drive a 190gr bullet to about 1750 fps, at 55K psi.

At 150 yards, a 190gr LRAB would retain about 1600 fps, 1100 ft-lbs.

A 190 LRAB could have a PBR of over 150 yards, with a 2" LOS deviation, via 125yd zero. Nosler claims LRAB expansion to 1300 fps.

I wouldn't choose it, but if you loaded it right, it would hit as hard or harder at 100 yards, than many of the "long range" rigs deliver downrange, but with a lot less drift, so placement could be fairly precise.

Originally Posted by SCGunNut
If I could banish any one cartridge from the planet, that would probably be the one. I work in a gun shop and almost get physically ill when I get some "Tacticool" wannabe in the store that has drank the Blackout Kool-Aid. A certain gunwriter described the Blackout as an "ideal deer and hog cartridge out to 300 yards" and some of these newbies take it as gospel.

This round has been around for so many years. It serves a purpose. ALways has.

But its the idiots that write stuff and the idiots that believe it that should be banned.

Its a good choice for the niche which it serves, that niche should be a lot smaller than it is numbers wise though.

Of course I"m always amazed at folks that think the 223 it too small for deer and the like, but lets cut the case off and put a bigger bullet in it and its just fine... amazes me to no end.
I would go after an elk with a 300 Whisper or Blackout. Use appropriate bullets that are designed to open at low velocity (such as 30/30 bullets) and keep shots close (within 100 yards or so).
mtmuley, just remember he is a KID, all full of himself and his idea's about things. A place most of us have been before.

I see the same with plenty of 'adults' too.
My first thought was no. But after looking at load data I'd say maybe. It ain't as far behind 30-30 as I initially thought. I still wouldn't use it as I have better options. But within its limitations, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
You could probably get a 170 flat Point to 1900-1950 fps. Feeding might be a question mark.

I'm thinking a 125 grain spitzer at 2200, keep the range short, and shoot them in the slats. Reasonable?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
You could probably get a 170 flat Point to 1900-1950 fps. Feeding might be a question mark.

Accurate lists a 175g Sierra MatchKing at 1868fps, 168's at 1898fps. Close enough to 1900.

150's are listed over 2000fps.
I was crunching some data through QL with the 168gr Ballistic Tip, and W296. 1900 fps, at 55K psi, via 16" bbl.

Code
 Bullet           : .308, 168, Nosler BalTip 30168
 Bullet weight    : 168 grains or 10.89 Grams
 Muzzle velocity  : 1900 fps
 Crosswind speed  : 10 Mph 
 Ballistic Coefficient(s) (G1): 
 C1=0.490@V>0 fps;

Optimum trajectory information : 
 Optimum sight-in range (X) = 152 Yds. 
 with max. ordinate above LOS at range (M)= 93 Yds.
 and max. point blank range (P)= 175 Yds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Range  Velo Time of  Energy   Path    Deflection    Total  Sight correction  Target
        city  flight            to    at crosswind    drop   for setting new   lead
                                LOS    of 10.0 Mph             zero range     20 fps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
�Yards   fps     s    ft.lbs.   in.    in.     MOA     in.   Clicks     MOA     yds �
|    0  1900  0.0000   1347    -2.6    0.0   -----     0.0   ------    -----    0.00
|   25  1869  0.0399   1303    -0.5    0.1    0.31     0.3     +5.6    +1.92    0.27
|   50  1838  0.0807   1260    +1.0    0.3    0.60     1.2     -5.4    -1.84    0.54
|   75  1807  0.1223   1218    +1.8    0.7    0.87     2.8     -6.6    -2.26    0.82
M   92  1786  0.1511   1191    +1.9    1.0    1.06     4.3     -5.8    -2.01    1.01
|  100  1777  0.1647   1178    +1.9    1.2    1.14     5.1     -5.3    -1.81    1.10
|  125  1747  0.2078   1139    +1.3    1.8    1.41     8.1     -2.9    -1.00    1.39
X  150  1718  0.2517   1101     0.0    2.6    1.66    11.8      0.0     0.00    1.68
P  174  1690  0.2944   1066    -2.0    3.5    1.90    16.1     +3.1    +1.08    1.96
|  175  1689  0.2962   1064    -2.1    3.5    1.91    16.3     +3.3    +1.12    1.97
|  200  1660  0.3414   1028    -4.9    4.5    2.15    21.5     +6.8    +2.33    2.28

Not sure I would trust a Ballistic Tip to open up well at those velocities, which is why I mentioned the 30-30 bullets. The Flex-Tip bullets might feed in AR mags or a Micro-7, maybe?
I pretty much knew it was a no go as far as an elk cartridge. He likes ARs and the tactical stuff. Yesterday he swore a guy was smacking steel at 900 every shot with one. I think today we might have a lunchtime discussion about some things. mtmuley

He's right, there a recent video of one the Tact-tic-Cool guys wacking a gong at a silly range for the cartridge. I'll see if I can kind the link for it.

I hope the conversation goes well...
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Not sure I would trust a Ballistic Tip to open up well at those velocities, which is why I mentioned the 30-30 bullets. The Flex-Tip bullets might feed in AR mags or a Micro-7, maybe?

This doe caught a 125 BT about 60 yards away, which was launched with a mild load out of the Contender shown, making about 2250. It definitely did expand smile

[Linked Image]

but I still wouldn't use it for elk, unless it was a survival situation, and I had nothing else.

Yeah I don't know how low the BTips would open. 1/7 or 1/8 twist might help at low velocity.

The Nosler LRAB is advertised to open down to 1300 fps. Starting a 190 or 210 LRAB at 1500-1700 window would have it well above 1300 fps at 200 yards.
Would I starve in Estes Park, Co. while being allergic to anything but elk meat with only a .300 Blackout rifle/ammo?

No - I would like to think.

Does that make it a viable relk round in my opinion? No - not by a long or short shot.

Does my opinion matter? Most possibly - not.
If you can't bag an elk near Estes with a .22 rimfire you're not a very good hunter.
That was the point, me thinks...
Originally Posted by Ready
That was the point, me thinks...

Yeah, I know. That wasn't a slam against you in any way. Just a comment abut Estes Park's elk. You can take them out with your bumper.
Problem is, the tacticool guys think the AR and related specialty cartridges can do it all. I still say the Blackout is NOT an elk cartridge. Told the kid that but I doubt he listened. mtmuley
In reality, the AR platform can do it all. While I would hesitate to call the Blackout/Whisper an elk cartridge, a pretty good case could be made for the Grendel or 6.8. If one is willing to include the 308 pattern rifles, there really isnt much they cant do.
Problem is, the tacticool guys think the AR and related specialty cartridges can do it all. I still say the Blackout is NOT an elk cartridge. Told the kid that but I doubt he listened. mtmuley

I�d rather see him using his AR for elk than an Ultra Mag.
After SHTF and my family was starving, yes, now, NO.

Gunner

Yeah I don't know how low the BTips would open. 1/7 or 1/8 twist might help at low velocity.

The Nosler LRAB is advertised to open down to 1300 fps. Starting a 190 or 210 LRAB at 1500-1700 window would have it well above 1300 fps at 200 yards.

If going LRAB I would test the expansion out first. Also might be worth trying something like the 130 SSP.

I would think of a correctly loaded 300 BLK as performing similarly to a 30-30 in a trapper length rifle. Which has killed plenty of elk...
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

This round has been around for so many years. It serves a purpose. ALways has.

But its the idiots that write stuff and the idiots that believe it that should be banned.

Its a good choice for the niche which it serves, that niche should be a lot smaller than it is numbers wise though.

Of course I"m always amazed at folks that think the 223 it too small for deer and the like, but lets cut the case off and put a bigger bullet in it and its just fine... amazes me to no end.

I have no issues with a Whisper/Blackout for its original intended purpose. Just get annoyed that some consider it a dragon slayer in the hunting fields when there are at least a thousand other cartridges so much better suited to killing God's creatures cleanly under all circumstances and conditions. Of course I did cleanly kill a buck a couple years back with the parent .221 Fireball in the same stand that I'd previously killed a doe with a .404 Jeffery....
Why an AR over an Ultra Mag? mtmuley
Better chance he will be able to shoot it well.
To me the 300 BLK is a disappointment, not the cartridge but Remington's failure;

I picked up a 300 BLK after Rem/AAC picked it up (the 300 whisper), because with Remington's backing I 'knew' they would be providing hunting bullets that would expand at subsonic speeds... typical Remington 2 1/2 years later and still no subsonic hunting bullets! Yes you can drive 110 (barnes tac) to 150 (30-30 bullets) grain bullets fast enough to get good expansion, but the reason for this cartridge is to shoot subsonic... If I want to shoot supersonic there are lots of better cartridges available.

Tex n cal, From what I have read the 220 & 240 SMK's are great on deer/game if they tumble, if they don't it can be a long trail.

Jerry
Better chance he'll shoot it well huh? Most of the young AR shooters I've observed are Hell bent on emptying a magazine as fast as they can. Spraying bullets with no regard to any kind of accuracy. If someone takes shooting seriously, it's not a problem to shoot a RUM well. mtmuley
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
To me the 300 BLK is a disappointment, not the cartridge but Remington's failure;

I picked up a 300 BLK after Rem/AAC picked it up (the 300 whisper), because with Remington's backing I 'knew' they would be providing hunting bullets that would expand at subsonic speeds... typical Remington 2 1/2 years later and still no subsonic hunting bullets! Yes you can drive 110 (barnes tac) to 150 (30-30 bullets) grain bullets fast enough to get good expansion, but the reason for this cartridge is to shoot subsonic... If I want to shoot supersonic there are lots of better cartridges available.

Tex n cal, From what I have read the 220 & 240 SMK's are great on deer/game if they tumble, if they don't it can be a long trail.

Jerry

A 220 from my old gun, was a long trail...:(

I searched for gelatin test vids, and you can find a couple on Youtube with supersonic loads. They look pretty impressive. I would also think a 125 Nosler BT would also do well, especially out of a 1 in 8" twist.

Member Kentucky Windage shot a hog with the 110 TTSX, and was not impressed with the effect on the animal. I suspect the Barnes really needs to go faster to be a quick killer. And the CnC bullets cost much less, too.

I've only found one vid of a 220 subsonic test, and that was the 220 Remington:

It doesn't look real impressive to me. Maybe the 240 SMK would do better? But I wonder just how consistent tumbling is likely to be?

It is nice that the BO uses the same mags and bolt as a 5.56, and the subsonic loads function fine with no alterations to the lower. But so far I've not found nor seen evidence of a subsonic load that is a good killer of game animals. My Daniel Defense is a reliable, accurate rifle, but it stays loaded with supersonic ammo.
Better chance he'll shoot it well huh? Most of the young AR shooters I've observed are Hell bent on emptying a magazine as fast as they can. Spraying bullets with no regard to any kind of accuracy. If someone takes shooting seriously, it's not a problem to shoot a RUM well. mtmuley

Curmudgeon much?

You see what you want to see. You dont care for those types of rifles, therefore you see their owners as lazy, irresponsible, and well, just not as good as you. Further, you feel that if someone doesnt shoot the way you think they ought to, they are reckless, dangerous, or foolish. You are what owners of the rifle that more or less personifies the gun rights movement call a "Fudd." Very Zumboesque.

"would ya shoot an elk with a .300 Blackout?"

If my life depended on it sure. If not to many other tools in the box to get the job done with.
If under 25 yards...I'd consider it!
I've been playing with 300 BO quite a bit lately in a range of bullet styles/weights, and am not overly excited about it. In my humble opinion, it's a niche cartridge for niche applications, and I would not include elk hunting as one of them.
liliysdad, I made a generalization I guess. In these parts, folks don't use ARs for elk hunting. Do you? Have you? Tacticool does not equal good hunting tool. Never said I didn't care for the AR rifles either. And I disliked Zumbo before his foot was inserted in his mouth. Back to my original question.....Most say the .300 BO is not an elk cartridge. mtmuley
I run three different loads in mine:

110 vmax at 2450fps for rabbits and varmints.

125 nab at 2300 for deer

208 amax at 1050 for subsonic plinking

I don't have what I'd consider an elk load for it but I have some 125 accubonds I could use if I had too.

Bb
Not what I would consider an elk round, but I would shoot one wit it.
If one doesn't consider a cartridge an elk round, why the Hell would one shoot an elk with it? mtmuley
If one doesn't consider a cartridge an elk round, why the Hell would one shoot an elk with it? mtmuley

Well, I guess I fall into that category. To me an 'elk round' is one that is capable under most circumstances. That includes typical ranges and angles at which the .300 Blackout might well disappoint.

My .44 Mag carbine falls into the same category as the .300 Blackout -- not an 'elk rifle' -- but I've taken it elk hunting many times - at least one day per season for almost 20 years. I figured I'd limit my shots to 100 yards and take only good angles. I would do something similar with the Blackout should I ever take it elk hunting, which is highly unlikely.

(When I got that 100 yard shot with the .44 I passed because I couldn't see the iron sights well and my buddy already had one down.)

If someone is taking shooting seriously, they will be able to shoot the rifle with less recoil better.

If they are not taking shooting seriously, they will be able to shoot the rifle with less recoil better.

More recoil (especially a schit load of recoil) loses every time.

tex'n'cal,

"Member Kentucky Windage shot a hog with the 110 TTSX, and was not impressed with the effect on the animal. I suspect the Barnes really needs to go faster to be a quick killer."

Was it the barnes tac-tx or the standard 30 cal. 110 grain TTSX?

Missed my chance to see how it would perform... My 13 year old wanted to carry the Blackout (a Rem/AAC Micro 7) loaded with the Tac-TX for a hunt, but some of the area was pretty open so I insisted he carry a std. cal. as I was concerned how well it would open at longer distances, as luck would have it he shot a buck at about 40 yards. May not have worked well as barnes claims it will expand to .50 cal at 300 yards! Thinking at 40 it may have had a problem?

Jerry

http://www.barnesbullets.com/blog/2012/02/09/new-300-aac-blackout-barnes-products/

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Missed my chance to see how it would perform... My 13 year old wanted to carry the Blackout (a Rem/AAC Micro 7) loaded with the Tac-TX for a hunt, but some of the area was pretty open so I insisted he carry a std. cal. as I was concerned how well it would open at longer distances, as luck would have it he shot a buck at about 40 yards. May not have worked well as barnes claims it will expand to .50 cal at 300 yards! Thinking at 40 it may have had a problem?

I think the Barnes would have performed very well at 40 yards. Here is one recovered from water jugs, MV about 2400fps per load data, S&W M&P .300BLK, 110g TAC-TX, range ~10 yards.

110g TAC-TX is in upper left corner:

[Linked Image]

More is available here regarding the water jug tests:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8850562/1/101_Water_Jugs_No_Survivors
I don't think less recoil in a marginal cartridge for elk is necessarily a good thing. At least in this case. mtmuley
Instead of trying so hard to convince him his weapon/caliber of choice is inferior, offer to setup test medium or help him find the best performing projectile for his purpose.

Experience speaks volumes to which, by your own admission, you have zero.

Do you really think you can have a significant impact on this guy in a conversation that starts.... "Hey, I don't know [bleep] about your cartridge, but some guys on the internet say...." ?

Hey thinman, how about I tell him about cartridges I know about that folks have killed elk with for years. I don't know about the Blackout. Kinda why I asked the question. I do know about bullets and ballistics thoiugh. No conversation has been had yet about whether or not he should use the BO. I've since investigated the cartridge and there's no way in Hell I'd use it for elk. Period. He has a .30-06. Guess he should use the BO so He doesn't think his weapon is inferior. Besides, it has less recoil that the .06 mtmuley
Don't be difficult. The 300 BLK will work fine within it's range, with the right bullets. Is the 30-06 a better choice? Of course. But the BLK will work if a man understands it's limitations.
Kind of like using handguns, archery, etc.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of the tool, and work within them.

[video:youtube]_VrFV5r8cs0[/video]
I was looking for info on the Blackout. A first time elk hunter enomoured with the tactical world needs a little guidance. Sorry. The posts claiming I dislike ARs for hunting ticked me off. mtmuley
To be honest, I don't really care that it ticked you off. The statement you made came off as ignorant and holier than thou. Now, whether or not thats the way it was meant, I have no clue.
how about I tell him about cartridges I know about that folks have killed elk with for years.

Going with what you KNOW would be a great place to start.

Instead, it seems you'd already decided his choice is inadequate. You just wanted some guys on the internet to back up what you were thinking. The same internet that has him so impressed with the cartridge.

As I stated, offer to help him. You both might learn something including its capabilities (& limitations) for ethical performance on game.
Didn't want any back up at all. Yeah, I did learn a couple things here. mtmuley
Kind of like using handguns, archery, etc.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of the tool, and work within them.

Pretty much my take on the matter. No way a .44 Mag from a handgun equals .308W as a general purpose elk cartridge, but the .44 will work fine within its limits.
Q: Would ya shoot an elk with a .300 Blackout?
A: Only if he's already dead?

Ain't the Innernet a hoot!
Not on purpose.
no please dont the elk can be killed with a 22 but just a stunt in my book. the 300 was never designed for this. i load thousands of rounds for 300 a week both sub-sonic and lighter bul. please use it for what it was built for. just my opp.
having seen 2 whitetail bucks and 6 hogs shot with the 300 blkout, i would say its not the ideal hunting round, there are many choices that out preform the 300 blkout.rio7
liliysdad and thinman think the Blackpout is a great elk round. Bet neither one of them has ever even seen an elk. mtmuley
False on both counts but if it helps you somehow. Just more incorrect assumptions.

Let's now turn a thread about your ignorance and incompetence into anything else. Sheesh!
As little as your opinion matters, the opposite is actually true. I think the Whisper/Blackout is a very poor choice for Elk...but the argument was made that the AR15 platform itself was a poor choice. This, in my opinion, is quite false, and where my disagreement rests.
Originally Posted by domit
no please dont the elk can be killed with a 22 but just a stunt in my book. the 300 was never designed for this. i load thousands of rounds for 300 a week both sub-sonic and lighter bul. please use it for what it was built for. just my opp.

Do you consider handgun or bow hunting of elk to be a 'stunt' as well?

The .300BLK is as capable as my .44 Magnum revolver and carbine at ranges at which I would use either of them and somewhat better at longer ranges. I think for most the .300 BLK is a better choice than a bow at bow ranges. (I don't bow hunt but have buddies that do or have. I know of one who has skewered at least two deer but never recovered one.)
no i really dont think it is a stunt on both counts but we were talking hunting rifles. i wont get into a popo match with anybody i was giving my .02 worth of thought on the matter of the orginal post question. i respect everybodies right to thought and ideas. .. i have killed elk with handgun and rifle by the way and know my limit, too old to be running over mt. and valleys. god bless you all and have fun on the hunt. D O M I T !
liliysdad, Thanks for your honest opinion on the Blackout. That is the info I was seeking. I did not state the AR platform was inadequate, and if my posts were interpreted as such I apologize. You may not think my opinion matters, but the kid I work with does. I also apologize in thinking you and thinman had never hunted and killed elk. Another assumption. I cannot however, encourage him to hunt elk with the Blackout. Just the elk hunter of 40 years coming out in me. Thanks guys. mtmuley
For the record, as I have been questioned, I have not killed an elk. I do not, for a second, purport to be an expert on anything of the sort, but I do know enough to know that the Blackout would be a poor choice for such an act.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
A 30-30 would be much better!

for Varmints, hogs, and small body Whitetails like we have here in TX.

Would I hunt Elk with It ??? Oh Hell NO!

I'd prefer my Hawken .54 cal Muzzle Loader with a Round Ball over the 300 ACC

But, I hunt Elk with my 300 RUM, so it's not a concern for me.

My thoughts also

Snake
I just got 100 pieces of .300 AAC Blackout brass and dies to start using my 16" Encore barrel. I doubt I'll ever shoot an elk with it but maybe a deer. I didn't think I'd ever shoot deer with a .223 or 6X47 Rem, but my Daughter changed the way I think about what cartridges work and what doesn't.

Using a .300 AAC in situations that you'd be comfortable using a Bow, ML, or Handgun on should allow for a successful hunt. I don't see how putting a .308 caliber bullet in the proper place wouldn't bring down an elk. However, I wouldn't expect it to dump one where it stands.
If i was going to use my 300 AAC for Elk i would hunt them just like i was using one of my Pistols or Bows. The Blackout is very close to the 30-30, but with less bullet weight . Would i hunt Elk with the Blackout, yes if i didn't have anything else and depending on where i was hunting them. The Blackout in my opinion is the ultimate urban Combat round in the AR Platform and for hunting, Whitetail deer size game is where you should stop. Elk aren't bullet proof tho and any decent bullet in the lungs and they die quick regardless of the rifle or cartridge the bullet came from. If using the 300 AAC, hunt in close or pistol range and shoot straight . I consider the 300 AAC a pistol round in the AR Platform .
Originally Posted by bea175
If i was going to use my 300 AAC for Elk i would hunt them just like i was using one of my Pistols or Bows. The Blackout is very close to the 30-30, but with less bullet weight . ...

Pretty much my sentiments. I've hunted elk with a .44 Magnum and a .30-30. Pretty much every negative comment about the .300BLK applies to them as well.

I've never had a chance to pull the trigger when using the .30-30 or .44 Mag. I did pass on a huge bull at ~100 yards and facing when using the .44 Mag, primarily because my buddy already had a bull down and we had a lot of work ahead of us without me knocking down another. Another reason was we were in the shadows and the iron sights on the carbine were hard to see. At that range, though, the .300BLK, .30-30 and .44 Mag would all have worked fine if properly placed. Had I had a scoped rifle I probably would have pulled the trigger, regardless of which cartridge it was chambered for.

My 240g handload for the ,44 Mag revolver, at 1481fps, falls below 1370fps and 1000fpe at around 25 yards. The same load in my carbine, at 1880fps, adds just over 100 yards for similar capability. Most or at least many people would agree a .44 Mag carbine is a suitable for elk out to about 100 yards. The 'inadequate-for-elk' .300BLK is very similar to my .44 Mag carbine in that at 130 yards my 110g TAC-TX handloads @ ~2380fps maintain 2030fps and 1000fpe. Remington's .300BLK 125g AccuTip load at 2215fps MV maintains over 1900fps and 1000fpe past 100 yards. At that range it is better than Remington's Managed Recoil .30-30 loads at 100 yards or Remington's 125g Managed Recoil .30-06 load at 200 yards.

Nothing in the above is intended to suggest the .300BLK is a great choice for elk but rather to provide some points of reference for comparison.
© 24hourcampfire