Home
Posted By: ingwe Lightweight Stock for a Model 7 - 07/04/14
OK guys, who besides McMIllan makes a good lightweight stock for a Model Seven? I have a CDL�little skinny barrel, that Im considering a synthetic stock for.
Any suggestions?
McMillan.
I've heard another company that makes a good one is McMillan.

Tanner
Yeah, I forgot about them!

Both of you�I fart in your general direction!

[Linked Image]

Now, get serious or I shall be forced to taunt you a second time!
Sorry... I'll be serious.

Try McMillan.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Easy to forget about. They are often overshadowed by MacMillan, McMIllian, MacMillian, and a few others. But none are as good as McMillan.

Tanner
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tanner

Easy to forget about. They are often overshadowed by MacMillan, McMIllian, MacMillian, and a few others. But none are as good as McMillan.

Tanner

The stepdaughter ( the REALLY good looking one�) was asking about you the other day.

I told her you were dead.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet.

McMillan
[Linked Image]
ingwe;
Happy Fourth of July to you folks sir, I hope this finds you well and that you are enjoying your retirement.

With the understanding that I've not handled one of his stocks for a Model 7 - I'd drop a line to Stuart at Wildcat Composites if you like the lone offering that he makes.

http://wildcatcomposites.com/remington.html

I've done two rifles with stocks he's built - Mauser and Model 70 - and have been very impressed with them in terms of how stiff the stock he makes is and that his advertised weights are very close to reality.

Please also note that the stocks I did from him were unfinished and needed bedding. That said, the "unfinished" from Wildcat had less pits and voids than another one I did some work on from another maker. For the life of me I can't recall who made that one and I'd not post it on open forum anyway as everyone can have a bad day.

Although I've not used all models of other makers stocks, I have done work on rifles with McMillan, Bell&Carlson and Chet Brown stocks.

Hopefully that was some use to you or someone out there today ingwe.

Again all the best to you and yours this Fourth of July.

Dwayne
McMillan.

Those might be ok....

High Tech Specialties/Bansner makes a good one for the M7 factory barrel if you like to finish them yourself. With a flip-flop pad they come in very light.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

The stepdaughter ( the REALLY good looking one�) was asking about you the other day.

I told her you were dead.

Dead sexy?! Thanks man! You get to give the first toast.

Tanner
I've got a Brown FS on mine, love it.
I have two model 7's with High Tech Specialties/Bansner stocks purchased through Brownells even though they are not shown in their catalog. I had a gunsmith finish them and I like them a lot. Much lighter than the Model 7 with a McMillan stock I have. MPI also makes one for the Model 7.
I dropped one in a High Tech stock. LOVE that rifle.

Dave
OK guys, who besides McMIllan makes a good lightweight stock for a Model Seven? I have a CDL�little skinny barrel, that Im considering a synthetic stock for.
Any suggestions?

I guess you feel the b&c is too heavy? I going to put a sporter takeoff on a seven for my nephew and wonder if the b&c will/would work.
BC30cal,

The Wildcat Composite looks interesting! We need some field reports.

DMc
Bell & Carlson does the Alaskan TI BDL for the Seven, though not terribly light with the aluminum benning block, 28-32oz.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-190/700-alaskan-ti-wildermess/Detail
Don't forget, there's always..... M c M i l l a n

[Linked Image]

...and you can opt for the ADL version which is even lighter as a finished rifle.

[Linked Image]

smile
DMc
This Brown Precision FS comes in at 18oz bare-naked. Long ago they came as factory stocks on Model 7's.

[Linked Image]

Left Side:

[Linked Image]

DMc
There's always MPI. You might even be able to supply your own Popsicle sticks.

You old farts can still gum Popsicle, can't you?
No matter how much you fight it McMillan is the easiest, cheapest way to a lightweight stock. Take em out of the box, bolt em on and go shooting.

Brown Precision is good too, but will end up costing a lot more with the gunsmith bill. You'll run into the same with any of the others.

If you can do the final fitting and finish work and be satisfied with the results High Tech Specialties is an option. If you use a standard recoil pad they aren't really light. Using a flip flop pad will save about 3-4 oz and come in slightly lighter than factory.
Originally Posted by KDK
There's always MPI. You might even be able to supply your own Popsicle sticks.

You old farts can still gum Popsicle, can't you?

I fart in your general direction!
Originally Posted by DMc
BC30cal,

The Wildcat Composite looks interesting! We need some field reports.

DMc

DMc;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you acceptably well and that you had a good Fourth of July.

With apologies to ingwe because this isn't a Model 7 and it is a .270..... eek

As far as field reports go, I've been running the Wildcat stock on a "classic" money pit 98 Mauser project for the last 5 seasons I believe?

Like I mentioned previously Stuart makes a very stiff stock - runs some sort (carbon fiber??) of an I Beam up the center of it and all I can say is it works.

He also embeds a chunk of aluminum in the fore end and butt stock to anchor the sling swivels into and that seems to be a grand idea as well.

So the stock works in warm weather hunts - maybe 70�F that day. This was a short shot as I recall now - maybe 75yds.
[Linked Image]

Little cooler this day, this one stretched my personal distance limits with a light .270.
[Linked Image]

This was another short shot almost at dark on a cooler evening.
[Linked Image]

It was a nice brisk morning here - maybe -8� C or so.
[Linked Image]

This particular morning it was unusually chilly for our part of the world -14� and snowing steady. I shot this one at very first light.
[Linked Image]

It seems I either didn't take photos of the other bucks shot with that rifle or I'm unable to find them this morning - but hopefully those will suffice.

Oh, the last photos here show the weight of the stock as received.
[Linked Image]

And completed rifle weight - including sling and 5 rounds of 130gr GMX/TTSX.
[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/Amy1138.jpg[/img]

So far the stock has shrugged off everything I've thrown at it and I could not be more pleased - thus the unreserved recommendation to give Stuart a call.

One does have to bear in mind that as a small propriety company, Wildcat doesn't offer the wide range of stocks others do or even different models. If what he does make suits you however, then one can proceed.

Hopefully that all made some sense and was useful to you or someone else out there this Fourth of July weekend. All the best to you on it.

Dwayne
Dwayne I checked out their website. Thanks for that link!
ingwe;
You are most welcome sir, it's another option is all.

Again if one likes the one style offered, is able to do the bedding and painting one's self, then in my view it would make sense.

If on the other hand one is paying for the bedding and stock painting - then it might not or it still may - only the final user can be the judge.

I sorta didn't think that the bedding or the painting would be an impediment for you ingwe - thus the initial reply.

All the best to you and yours this Fourth of July long weekend ingwe.

Dwayne
I'm following this thread with a lot interest. I have a model 7 that I would love to install into a light weight stock also. It will either get restocked or I'll sell it and replace it with another Kimber. Anyway, thank you BC30cal for the link and your experience with the Wildcat stocks.
Now if Ingwe would hurry up and make a decision so I know what to do or not to do. whistle
BC30cal,

Nice paint job. Obviously you are a talented stock finisher!

DMc
I have one of these that came factory from Remington, but it has the 18 1/2" barrel and fixed sights. Great combo.

Bansner makes a nice M7 stock as well. I had one a number of years ago.
sigguy,

Those factory B-Precisions were almost all 18"ers. Really great stocks! Nowadays, they'll bring +$400 just for the stock.

The pictured rifle is a 6mm build with a 22" barrel with an aftermarket (Winchester style) 3-position safety.

DMc
I'd opt for a Hunter's Edge, not sure the name of the company that makes them.
McIllem?
Patience, took him 61 years to embrace a single digit twist rate.
Wildcat like Dwayne said..
I have one on my .260 M7 and it weighs right at 6 lbs. with a 2.5-8X36 Leupold ..
It's a very tuff stock and priced right..
As Dwayne said you have to finish it yourself..

The only reason to get a McMillan is if you like to waste money on a heavy stock and be like all the kool adolescents that ply this forum..
Your just to old for that and probably smarter than them ain't ya!
Then again?
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And 'embrace' isn't really the right word�Im using one�but it doesn't do any better than my double digit twist�.
So did you pick a stock and dump the good looking step daughter on Tanner yet?
No, and no. I told the daughter Tanner was dead.
If he showed up he would be laugh

And 'embrace' isn't really the right word�Im using one�but it doesn't do any better than my double digit twist�.

Shoot 75's in it...
If you're somewhat handy a HTS can be a deal

[Linked Image]

I went ADL and don't know if I'd do it again on a Seven. The forearm is a bit chunky for the factory barrel profile.
Here are more pics if you want of my Faux-tucky http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6485640/Faux_tucky

finished at 24 oz with a 0.6" Pach pad

Steelhead, I think that same company makes a KS with Edge fill for a Model 7, if you remember the name fire off a post. So senile anymore...

frown
DMc
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I went ADL and don't know if I'd do it again on a Seven. The forearm is a bit chunky for the factory barrel profile.

Why wouldn't you do the ADL thing again on a Seven? Just curious, as I picked a Seven in 7mm Rem SAUM up off the classified here with a McM Edge in ADL config and I love it that way personally!

I will say that I think the Edge forearm looks too fat on a skinny bbl'ed Seven too. I dropped a 243 into the same stock to check it out and just didn't look right to me... I will most likely order a McM Seven pattern with Edge fill for that one, but I'll be watching this thread for other ideas.

Shoot 75's in it...

I knew you were gonna say that�..
Originally Posted by DMc

Steelhead, I think that same company makes a KS with Edge fill for a Model 7, if you remember the name fire off a post. So senile anymore...

frown
DMc

Funny�..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

Why wouldn't you do the ADL thing again on a Seven? Just curious, as I picked a Seven in 7mm Rem SAUM up off the classified here with a McM Edge in ADL config and I love it that way personally!

I will say that I think the Edge forearm looks too fat on a skinny bbl'ed Seven too. I dropped a 243 into the same stock to check it out and just didn't look right to me... I will most likely order a McM Seven pattern with Edge fill for that one, but I'll be watching this thread for other ideas.

It was more of a pain than it was worth... I could have used a trigger guard without a front screw and solved the 'problem' but I epoxied a small nut in the stock and went with a standard trigger guard. It took up room in the box and was generally a pain but it works. It is a joy to carry and shoot.
high-tech is my pick light quick and cheep
When using a short bbl, you need to find a stock with a short forend. A forend that is less than half the bbl length looks right.
There's an EDGE in the classifieds right now
I'm trying to visualize a zebra-striped Edge?? Ingwe has stock painting plans. I know he's simply not too cheap to buy a McMurderer or McCellan, or whatever that Mc stock is...

DMc
McLeppy??

[Linked Image]
I'm lovin' that�.
You need it wink
Too funny! Awesome!

smile
© 24hourcampfire