Home
Posted By: rainierrifleco Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Not long ago all you ever saw on the used gun racks were 30/06s now it seems that there are lots of 270s which you didn't used to see much of. At cabelas yesterday there was 7 270 s on the rack and 1- 338 and not a single 30/06. Strange.....been seeing them pop up everywhere lately.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Though it's taken a while for folks to come to their senses, after 89 years of testing, people have finally realized that the .270 is just no damn good. Can't say we didn't give it a fair try.
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
The Campfire has tremendous power to influence public opinion. No doubt about it.

The tongue-in-cheek attacks against the 270 have created a wave of anti-270 sentiment that has spread far and wide, like the ripples on a lake. Thousands of gun owners who have never heard of the Campfire have received the subliminal message that 270s are gay, or ineffective, or somehow bad. The young gun buyers of today don't know the writings of Jack O'Connor.

The used gun racks are quickly filling with 270s that the dealers can hardly give away, except as donor actions. These same dealers will soon report overwhelming demand for 7x57s and 280s. Most buyers will have to settle for 30/06s until the factories can ramp up the manufacture of more 7x57s and 280s and 284s.

Any of you guys that still have a 270, it's too late. They aren't worth anything on the resale market now. You should have listened to the advice of the 'Fire and traded them off before now. We saw this coming.

Those that ignore the words of the Grand Pubba do so at their own risk.
Posted By: jimdgc Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
I guess those of us that are stuck with a .270 can rebore. Can you rebore a .277 to .284 or will I have to go to .308?
Posted By: NTG Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
I'll take your 270s
off your hands...for a minimal fee.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Originally Posted by jimdgc
I guess those of us that are stuck with a .270 can rebore. Can you rebore a .277 to .284 or will I have to go to .308?

They make a perfect donor action for a 7x57...
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
They call the 270 a goober smoocher in my neck of the woods, I've dropped a lot of deer with a ruger 270, finally realized that a short action round would do the same
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Originally Posted by ingwe

They make a perfect donor action for a .270 Ingwe...
grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
I fart in your general direction!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14

You are so screwed being on PB super secret probation laugh

Here:
That's the stench I smell,silly me,thought it was the dairy's.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

You are so screwed being on PB super secret probation laugh

Here:
Well,being on PB super secret probation is an honor. grin
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
The old guys are running out of life, they look around at their grandson's love for AR type burp guns and opt to dump their .270.

Sometimes they die, and their families sell off their treasured rifles that they have been clinging to.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14

The problem with re-boring or re-barreling is that you have to admit to a gun professional that you own one of the damn things, and sometimes the shame is just too great to bear. I recommend donating the CRF models to me and the push-feeds to someone else.

Please include brass and boolits.

Sakos are also acceptable.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Not long ago all you ever saw on the used gun racks were 30/06s now it seems that there are lots of 270s which you didn't used to see much of. At cabelas yesterday there was 7 270 s on the rack and 1- 338 and not a single 30/06. Strange.....been seeing them pop up everywhere lately.

It's because the recoil shy are afraid of them and opt for 223's and 243's. What is beyond gay?
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
The Campfire has tremendous power to influence public opinion. No doubt about it.

The tongue-in-cheek attacks against the 270 have created a wave of anti-270 sentiment that has spread far and wide, like the ripples on a lake. Thousands of gun owners who have never heard of the Campfire have received the subliminal message that 270s are gay, or ineffective, or somehow bad. The young gun buyers of today don't know the writings of Jack O'Connor.

The used gun racks are quickly filling with 270s that the dealers can hardly give away, except as donor actions. These same dealers will soon report overwhelming demand for 7x57s and 280s. Most buyers will have to settle for 30/06s until the factories can ramp up the manufacture of more 7x57s and 280s and 284s.

Any of you guys that still have a 270, it's too late. They aren't worth anything on the resale market now. You should have listened to the advice of the 'Fire and traded them off before now. We saw this coming.

Agreed. It would cost more than they're worth to rebarrel, too. Send them to me and I will dispose of all .270s properly.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Had a stainless .270 Tikka after a quick rebore it is now sweet shootin 35 Whelen.

Posted By: Kitch Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
Anyone with a decent looking pre-64 270 without dints and dings that you're afraid of occupying space in your safe with other more "modern" calibers let it be known I'll give you $1000 for it.

As ingwe says, may Jack O'Connor fart in your general direction.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Lots of 270s - 07/13/14
What would pawn shops sell if there weren't .270s?
.280 AI's.
Posted By: NTG Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
Ok...I'm feeling charitable. Send all CRF models to Pappy and all push feed to me. My 721 has never given me one problem...I have mastered the art of push feeds I guess.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
Yeah, us old fumblefarts need a CRF to keep us out of trouble.
I guess it's good I'm not old...yet.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
It'll come sooner than you could ever imagine...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
And it hits hard�..
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14

[Linked Image]

I'll take my chances...haven't had a 130 grainer bounce off a critter yet....
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
Sorry I didn't intend this to be a 270 Bash fest, but it is quit entertaining
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

[Linked Image]

Another awesome shooting CZ!!
Sorry I didn't intend this to be a 270 Bash fest, but it is quit entertaining

Oh, I think we're just having fun. Honestly, I and many think it's a great round...just don't talk to the '06 lovers. Which honestly the '06 is great too.
Posted By: SansSouci Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14
Yep, the .270 Win is good for jackrabbits and smaller game.

BTW, I'll be in a trophy elk unit this Sept during rut. It took me 20+ years to get drawn in the unit. I'll be hunting with my 40+ year-old Model 700 in .270 Win with 150 grain Partitions. If I put one where it'll stop oxygenated blood to its brain, my guide & I will have a lot of work to do.

Then it'll be back to jackrabbits for my .270 Win.
Posted By: rrogers Re: Lots of 270s - 07/14/14

Danggit and here i am in the crossfire.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
I have rifles chambered for other cartridges but I use and love the 270 because it annoys so many people on here. whistle smile
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

[Linked Image]

Another awesome shooting CZ!!

Every time I take her out, my other rifles just seem so redundant...
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Funny as a teenager I studied the ballistics charts and read all the hype of the 270 and was always verry fond of it tho I chose a 30/06 and with such spectacular results of the 06 I never bothered hunting with A 270. I have several really nice ones and I should get them out and draw some blood.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Funny as a teenager I studied the ballistics charts and read all the hype of the 270 and was always verry fond of it tho I chose a 30/06 and with such spectacular results of the 06 I never bothered hunting with A 270. I have several really nice ones and I should get them out and draw some blood.

That's funny...I was shopping for an '06 when I bought my .270, really liked the rifle and I didn't think there was a whitetail alive that could tell the difference...still don't.
Posted By: DMc Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
270's only work in Single Shots, unless you want your rifle to be 4"s too long...

laugh
DMc
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Among the reasons there are lots of .270's for sale is so many have been made since 1925.

Was in the LGS that sells more used rifles than the others last week. Found four Remington 700 BDL's on the used rack in .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum, all from the same era and all in about the same decent condition. It was as if somebody decided to buy a BDL in each of the four most popular big game chamberings in the U.S., then couldn't decide which one he liked best so sold them all!

Have a friend who's a real .270 nut and have been giving him .30-06 grief for years, even though I've probably owned (and hunted with) just as many .270's as he has. In fact the last time we hunted together I took a .270 and killed a deer, but apparently he doesn't remember that. He's too easy to get started....
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Originally Posted by DMc
270's only work in Single Shots, unless you want your rifle to be 4"s too long...

laugh
DMc

They do work rather well in single shots...

[Linked Image]

accurate 130's at 3165 fps smile
Posted By: agazain Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
The .280 Remington is what the .270 is hoping to be. JOC even said so, and Carmichael backs that up. (Really doesn't matter unless you want to load 7mm bullets.)
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Would love to see where JOC said that....
Posted By: GeoW Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
I once liked the 270... Until i found out from some of the more experienced here on the Fire that they were queer.

I hate it too as my 270s did a fine job for me.
Posted By: OceanBlue Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Me too, I remember reading JOC writing the factory .280 ammo was loaded down in pressure for use in the semi autos. He also mentioned the .280 didn't seem to be very popular compared to his favorite .270.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Originally Posted by OceanBlue
Me too, I remember reading JOC writing the factory .280 ammo was loaded down in pressure for use in the semi autos. He also mentioned the .280 didn't seem to be very popular compared to his favorite .270.
JOC wrote in the book "The Hunting Rifle" paraphrasing here,"what one can do,so can the other."
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/15/14
Originally Posted by agazain
The .280 Remington is what the .270 is hoping to be. JOC even said so, and Carmichael backs that up. (Really doesn't matter unless you want to load 7mm bullets.)

Would you share that O'Connor quote with us, please?
Posted By: Kitch Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
I seriously doubt there will ever be a quote to that effect. Jack did say the 270, 280 and 284 were for all practical purposes ballistically about the same.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink

Not that theres anything wrong with that��..
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14

Not that theres anything wrong with that��..
Does this mean you're finally coming out....
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
I have read JOC was having a custom .280 built when he died..
He did,IIRC it was a Ruger M77 .280. Al Beisen was working on it when O'Connor died.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
He did,IIRC it was a Ruger M77 .280. Al Beisen was working on it when O'Connor died.

The thought of hunting with that is probably what killed him.
RIP.
laugh
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
No doubt JOC was getting pretty well paid to advertise for winchester. The 270 for all practical purposes broke all the rules in that there were no real 27 cal no military endorsement. The 280 really makes more sense and should have been an easy sale and has struggled for years no doubt because of the foot hold of the 270
Ill bet the real reason they are showing up of late is their owners are dying off and this younger generation are all over the short mag.. I had a guy at work sell me his grandfathers win 71 in favor of a tuppaware 300 wsm
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
I doubt Winchester paid JOC a dime....he was a relative unknown when he bought his first 270 (M54),and started writing about the cartridge.He really did not become a factor in its popularity until a good many years later.

In the context of the time, the 270 may have made more sense.

If you neck a 30/06 case to 7mm you essentially have a 7x64 Brenneke, a cartridge that had been in existence for 12-15 years before the 270 came out.Winchester wanted a lighter bullet,lower recoiling,and higher velocity offering for the M54 than the 30/06, but still compatible with the M54 receiver. Chambering for another 7mm just like the 7x64 would not fill the bill from a marketing standpoint and made no sense if you wanted a proprietary cartridge for a new rifle.

And why offer another cartridge, the bullets for which were very close to what was offered in the 30/06 and offered no advantage over either one? Besides, the M54 got chambered for the 7x57 as well.

I think Winchester guessed right....the 270 Winchester was likely the most popular bolt action cartridge with non military origins of the 20th century.It still has not blinked in popularity except among target shooters.Hunters still buy it in droves.

Unlike the cartridges having military origins and rifles and ammo subsidized by the American taxpayer, the 270 earned its spurs in the game fields and in the rough and tumble of the capitalist system. If it did not work, it simply would not have survived. Period.

I think the OP is reading too much into seeing a lot of 270's on the used gun rack; they have always been "common" because the cartridge is enormously popular,like Mule Deer said.I see as many 30/06's on the used racks. Even today,the cartridge continually ranks in the top ten in ammo sales and die sales and rifle sales.....to the chagrin of many 280 owners.What's funny is that I never see many CF pets on the racks nor in the hunting fields....I see plenty of 270's in both places. smile

I won't comment on the wisdom of the younger generation. They helped give us Barrack Obama.This throws their judgement on any subject into question. smile

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
The .270Win. just makes sense for 99% of North American big game. After we have so many flings with "new & improved" cartridges many realize they didn't provide any real benefit. So we go back to what worked all along, is widely available and has tolerable recoil.
Posted By: Kitch Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I doubt Winchester paid JOC a dime....he was a relative unknown when he bought his first 270 (M54),and started writing about the cartridge.He really did not become a factor in its popularity until a good many years later.

If you neck a 30/06 case to 7mm you essentially have a 7x64 Brenneke, a cartridge that had been in existence for 12-15 years before the 270 came out.Winchester wanted a lighter bullet,lower recoiling,and higher velocity offering for the M54 than the 30/06, but still compatible with the M54 receiver. Chambering for another 7mm just like the 7x64 would not fill the bill from a marketing standpoint and made no sense if you wanted a proprietary cartridge for a new rifle.

And why offer another cartridge, the bullets for which were very close to what was offered in the 30/06 and offered no advantage over either one? Besides, the M54 got chambered for the 7x57 as well.

I think Winchester guessed right....the 270 Winchester was likely the most popular bolt action cartridge with non military origins of the 20th century.It still has not blinked in popularity except among target shooters.Hunters still buy it in droves.

Unlike the cartridges having military origins and rifles and ammo subsidized by the American taxpayer, the 270 earned its spurs in the game fields and in the rough and tumble of the capitalist system. If it did not work, it simply would not have survived. Period.

I think the OP is reading too much into seeing a lot of 270's on the used gun rack; they have always been "common" because the cartridge is enormously popular,like Mule Deer said.I see as many 30/06's on the used racks. Even today,the cartridge continually ranks in the top ten in ammo sales and die sales and rifle sales.....to the chagrin of many 280 owners.What's funny is that I never see many CF pets on the racks nor in the hunting fields....I see plenty of 270's in both places. smile

I won't comment on the wisdom of the younger generation. They helped give us Barrack Obama.This throws their judgement on any subject into question. smile

+1 Excellent post.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
Originally Posted by Kitch

+1 Excellent post.

Indeed. Especially the line about Barry the Fibber
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14

Great analysis and very well written!

I've made many a .270 convert by simple loaning mine out for a while.

Easy recoil, flat shooting, kills well because it's easy to hit with, ammo is inexpensive and sold everywhere. What's NOT to like??
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Lots of 270s - 07/16/14
I think seeing so many .270's on the rack is just a cycle.. I love to check out used gunshops... Sometimes they are loaded with 7mm mags.. Other times you can't pick up one to save your life.. I don't often look for used .270's, but there always seem to be a few on the racks.. Of course what I see most on the racks no matter where I check is 06's..
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14

I agree with much of this about the .270, in particular, the speculation that Winchester wanted something different from a marketing standpoint that would shoot lighter weight bullets at higher velocities. I think this line of thought is illustrated by the choice of a 1:10 twist. Also another speculation, if you are going with 1:10 twist for lighter bullets, don't go with an existing caliber for which heavier bullets are made that won't stabilize in your new cartridge (i.e .284) so go with a non-standard caliber.

Regardless of why they did it, it is a great cartridge that has only gotten better since 1925.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
Visited a local gun store today that always has a bunch of used rifles for sale. Decided to do a little informal "survey" about the chamberings on the racks of used centerfire rifles, around 40 all together.

The leader, by far, was the .30-06, but the next in "popularity" was the 7mm Remington Magnum, with 6, and then the .270 Winchester with 4. The were also a couple of .308's, a .243, a .22-250, a .300 Winchester Magnum, a .300 WSM, a .300 SAUM and a .375 H&H (a nice Sako).
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
When the ammo panic hit the Northeast last winter all of the military ammo and some guns were bought up. There was still plenty of 270 ammo in the stores.

Years ago we could get 30-06 ammo from the DCM and our club for target shooting. All of the CF target rifles were 30-06. Nobody shot a 270 in competition. Then it went to the 308 and now 223.

They say the 270 is an outstanding cartridge and I let them have that. It was the path of least resistance to shoot the 06.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

and a .375 H&H (a nice Sako).

Tell me more...
Posted By: RinB Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
The 270, which has a .277 diameter bore, was introduced during the time when there were many 7x57 military surplus rifles around. By going to that unique bore size, Winchester made certain that those old military rifles could not be converted to the new cartridge, which operated at higher pressures. In those days, the easiest way to obtain a "sporter" was to convert or upgrade a military rifle. Winchester made that difficult, so if you wanted the new cartridge you had to buy their new commercial rifle.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
Originally Posted by RinB
The 270, which has a .277 diameter bore, was introduced during the time when there were many 7x57 military surplus rifles around. By going to that unique bore size, Winchester made certain that those old military rifles could not be converted to the new cartridge, which operated at higher pressures. In those days, the easiest way to obtain a "sporter" was to convert or upgrade a military rifle. Winchester made that difficult, so if you wanted the new cartridge you had to buy their new commercial rifle.

Also true.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
My 270 WSM must make me so flaming gay that spontaneous combustion should be a concern! According to most here it suffers from a double negative dose of the worst kind.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
strosfan: Laffin'... yes you are doomed. smile
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14

So look for a good one on a decent action and purchase it cheap before everyone else wakes up.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/17/14
How can anyone take the opinion of rifle suitability serious...especially from people from Montana. i mean come on there official state past time is sheep humping
Kirk,

I didn't look at the Sako .375 too closely, but the walnut stock looked to have decent figure and was in nice shape. Price is $1300. You might give Capital a call.
gitem 12,

That's a common misconception. Actually, we're just very kind people who are concerned for the comfort and safety of all living creatures. Foreigners sometimes misinterpret helping a poor sheep that's stuck in a fence.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/18/14
gitem 12,

That's a common misconception. Actually, we're just very kind people who are concerned for the comfort and safety of all living creatures. Foreigners sometimes misinterpret helping a poor sheep that's stuck in a fence.

That's not what I saw on the video Travis and BGG showed me
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Lots of 270s - 07/18/14
I visited a big gun store today and there was only ONE 270,a pre 64 M70. grin
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Lots of 270s - 07/18/14
gitem 12,

Ah, so Montana is where all the ex-pat New Zealanders settled.
Posted By: Royce Re: Lots of 270s - 07/18/14
Bob
Would that have been Riley's Gunshop in Hooksett?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/18/14
Did you buy it?
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Lots of 270s - 07/20/14
So, exactly what did Jack O'Connor say? In his book, "The Rifle Book", copyright 1964 he made a few interesting statements:

Page 191, "The .280 Remington and .284 Winchester, excellent big-game calibers (sic) both...flat trajectory... good accuracy."

Notice, he didn't say more or less "excellent" than the 270 or any other cartridge.

Page 236: "Ballistically, the .280 (Remington) is very similar to the .270 (Winchester)". "It (the .280 Rem.) has been no raging success because it is so much like the .270 (Winchester)".

It sounds to me like he gives no advantage to either and considers them very equal.

One interesting comparison he did make was when he tested a factory M-70 Fwt with a 22-in. barrel in 264 Winchester. The 264 with factory loads gave less velocity than his 270 handloads in the same 22-in. barrel length. After chronographing the 264 he stated, "I was not about to discard my matched pair of .270 Model 70 rifles with 22-inch barrels".

It is still fun to read Mr. O'Connor's writing from 50 years ago. Most of it is just as valid now as it was then.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Lots of 270s - 07/20/14

How much $? Did you buy it? Condition? STD or FWT??? Inquiring minds thing.... whistle
gitem 12,

Of course the rubber boots and velcro gloves help for better control huh JB...
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Lots of 270s - 07/20/14
The old hand and the tenderfoot were riding the fence when they came across a stuck sheep. The old hand hopped down and "helped" the sheep for a couple of minutes. He turned to the tenderfoot, who was watching, fascinated, and said, "If'n you want some of this, hop on down here."

The tenderfoot, with eyes big, says, "Yeah, I do. But do I have to stick my head through the fence?"

(o-o-o-o oof. Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself)
I think the tenderfoot came from the San Francisco area. He owns a 270, but he won't kill rattlesnakes. And he has an Obama bumper sticker on the rump of his horse.
Posted By: SansSouci Re: Lots of 270s - 07/20/14

I saw one in a Riverside, CA gun shop. It was reasonably priced. It had a era-appropriate scope on it that I didn't like. The salesman told me that the scope was worth 200 bucks. I told if to take the scope off the rifle, reduce the price by 200 bucks, & I'd buy it. He didn't go for it.

One thing I didn't realize was how heavy a Model 70 Sporter weighed. That rifle had to go a solid 10 pounds.
Some of the older ones (with their more dense wood) weighed quite a bit. One of the reason's I really like the FWT's. Both of my 270 fwt's are a hair less than 8 pounds scoped..
Two things I won't do: criticize a fellow hunter for the cartridge he uses (provided it's appropriate for his intended game), and criticize a fellow hunter for the rifle he uses.

I saw javalina hunters on the San Carlos Reservation using AR-15-type rifles. While I would never use one for hunting, if they work for other hunters, I'm good.
Hi BSA,

You're right on the money about wood density affecting weight.

I have a CRF Featherweight in .308 Win. It is an excellent rifle. Scoped, it weighs about 8lbs.

My 24" Sako 7MM Rem Mag has a gorgeous stock on it. Scoped, that rifle weights every ounce of 10lbs. I can tell you from experience that carrying that thing up and down Wyoming's Star Valley was no fun.

My guide wants me to use my Sako 7MM Rem Mag on my elk hunt this year. I'll use it if we're stand hunting. But if we're hiking up and down 10,000' peaks, I'm using my 8lb Model 700 .270 Win with 150 grain Partitions.
Good post sanssouci. However, my question: Why not use your CRF 308 win fwt? One of my buddies uses a 1953 fwt 308 win for all of his hunting around here including elk. His ammo of choice is the discontinued factory High energy stuff loaded with 150gr. SP Hornady interlocks. My bosses son also thumped (I mean hammered) a nice 6 point bull last year with some old handloaded Herters 150 gr. bullets. Your 270 is also a damn good choice for elk, especially with those 150gr. partitions. That's what I've stocked up on for my 270's and I would not hesitate for one second to use them on a big bull...
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/20/14
Take the .308 Win and the .270 Win. Use one and keep the other has a spare. The bull elk won't know which one was which.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Lots of 270s - 07/21/14

Man.
I must be one queer MFer then.

dave
Posted By: SansSouci Re: Lots of 270s - 07/21/14
bsa & elkhunter,

I have a good 150 grain load for my .270 Win and it's the rifle I most comfortable using. I'd have no problem taking my .308 Win. I know that it will one-shot-kill mule deer. My 7MM Rem Mag is incredibly accurate. I've decided to go with the rifle I'm most comfortable using and the one that's most accurate.

This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trophy elk hunt. It takes about 20 bonus points to have a chance of getting drawn in it. I was reluctant to believe I was going until Utah mailed my tag to me. Once I had the tag in my hand, I got excited. Some have said it's the best trophy elk unit in the nation. It might be, but there are some huge elk on the San Carlos Reservation. Anyway, I have to be certain that I don't waste my tag by shooting, wounding, and not recovering a bull. The two best shots I have ever made were with my .270 Win and my 7MM Rem Mag. However, there is no doubt in my mind that my .308 Win will kill any elk.

BTW, my guide told me they took a 418 bull last year out of the unit where I'll hunt.

elkhunter, I hear ya about elk not knowing what killed them. On my first deer hunt some 40 years ago, an old timer that I met had a 7x57 that he used for mule & black tail deer and an 8x57 that he used for bigger game. Within reason, a cartridge ain't as important as putting a bullet where it needs to be.

My dad hunted on the East Coast & Eastern provinces. He used a Model 81 chamber for .35 Rem for everything. He killed his last deer, a respectable CA 3-point mule deer with it. He used 200 grain bullets and shot everything in their necks.

An old hunting friend of mine has a trophy room with about 130 mounts in it including an Alaskan grizzly. He used to use a Mark V in .300 Wby until recoil became a problem. He wound up buying a Mark V in .270 Wby. He is a huge believer in the 7MM Rem Mag.

As the wise here have posted, it's all about where a bullet goes, not what's written on a cartridge case.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Man.
I must be one queer MFer then.

dave

Damn, me too Men blush, have a little pre 64 M-70 270 WCF that damn near commands ya to carry here on pretty days afield. lol
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Lots of 270s - 07/21/14
I'm thinking .270 for the Quemado Prairie dog shoot, myself. Which may make a few heads spin... grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Lots of 270s - 07/21/14
No need in "playing" with those hole diggers Tex. grin
© 24hourcampfire