Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I visited a big gun store today and there was only ONE 270,a pre 64 M70. grin

I saw one in a Riverside, CA gun shop. It was reasonably priced. It had a era-appropriate scope on it that I didn't like. The salesman told me that the scope was worth 200 bucks. I told if to take the scope off the rifle, reduce the price by 200 bucks, & I'd buy it. He didn't go for it.

One thing I didn't realize was how heavy a Model 70 Sporter weighed. That rifle had to go a solid 10 pounds.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some of the older ones (with their more dense wood) weighed quite a bit. One of the reason's I really like the FWT's. Both of my 270 fwt's are a hair less than 8 pounds scoped..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Two things I won't do: criticize a fellow hunter for the cartridge he uses (provided it's appropriate for his intended game), and criticize a fellow hunter for the rifle he uses.

I saw javalina hunters on the San Carlos Reservation using AR-15-type rifles. While I would never use one for hunting, if they work for other hunters, I'm good.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi BSA,

You're right on the money about wood density affecting weight.

I have a CRF Featherweight in .308 Win. It is an excellent rifle. Scoped, it weighs about 8lbs.

My 24" Sako 7MM Rem Mag has a gorgeous stock on it. Scoped, that rifle weights every ounce of 10lbs. I can tell you from experience that carrying that thing up and down Wyoming's Star Valley was no fun.

My guide wants me to use my Sako 7MM Rem Mag on my elk hunt this year. I'll use it if we're stand hunting. But if we're hiking up and down 10,000' peaks, I'm using my 8lb Model 700 .270 Win with 150 grain Partitions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post sanssouci. However, my question: Why not use your CRF 308 win fwt? One of my buddies uses a 1953 fwt 308 win for all of his hunting around here including elk. His ammo of choice is the discontinued factory High energy stuff loaded with 150gr. SP Hornady interlocks. My bosses son also thumped (I mean hammered) a nice 6 point bull last year with some old handloaded Herters 150 gr. bullets. Your 270 is also a damn good choice for elk, especially with those 150gr. partitions. That's what I've stocked up on for my 270's and I would not hesitate for one second to use them on a big bull...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Take the .308 Win and the .270 Win. Use one and keep the other has a spare. The bull elk won't know which one was which.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink

Man.
I must be one queer MFer then.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
bsa & elkhunter,

I have a good 150 grain load for my .270 Win and it's the rifle I most comfortable using. I'd have no problem taking my .308 Win. I know that it will one-shot-kill mule deer. My 7MM Rem Mag is incredibly accurate. I've decided to go with the rifle I'm most comfortable using and the one that's most accurate.

This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trophy elk hunt. It takes about 20 bonus points to have a chance of getting drawn in it. I was reluctant to believe I was going until Utah mailed my tag to me. Once I had the tag in my hand, I got excited. Some have said it's the best trophy elk unit in the nation. It might be, but there are some huge elk on the San Carlos Reservation. Anyway, I have to be certain that I don't waste my tag by shooting, wounding, and not recovering a bull. The two best shots I have ever made were with my .270 Win and my 7MM Rem Mag. However, there is no doubt in my mind that my .308 Win will kill any elk.

BTW, my guide told me they took a 418 bull last year out of the unit where I'll hunt.

elkhunter, I hear ya about elk not knowing what killed them. On my first deer hunt some 40 years ago, an old timer that I met had a 7x57 that he used for mule & black tail deer and an 8x57 that he used for bigger game. Within reason, a cartridge ain't as important as putting a bullet where it needs to be.

My dad hunted on the East Coast & Eastern provinces. He used a Model 81 chamber for .35 Rem for everything. He killed his last deer, a respectable CA 3-point mule deer with it. He used 200 grain bullets and shot everything in their necks.

An old hunting friend of mine has a trophy room with about 130 mounts in it including an Alaskan grizzly. He used to use a Mark V in .300 Wby until recoil became a problem. He wound up buying a Mark V in .270 Wby. He is a huge believer in the 7MM Rem Mag.

As the wise here have posted, it's all about where a bullet goes, not what's written on a cartridge case.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink

Man.
I must be one queer MFer then.

dave

Damn, me too Men blush, have a little pre 64 M-70 270 WCF that damn near commands ya to carry here on pretty days afield. lol

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking .270 for the Quemado Prairie dog shoot, myself. Which may make a few heads spin... grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No need in "playing" with those hole diggers Tex. grin

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 17 invisible), 15,280 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,976
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.