Home
Posted By: billd Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Has the quality of Kimber rifle improved on recent production.

Thinking about a 300 WSM Montana.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
You'll hear different opinions. I've owned 3, and if I wanted a .300 WSM, I'd buy a Montana. You may have to do a few minor tweaks like bed the action, make sure the mag. box doesn't bind, etc.

But the platform is great. It was built around the WSM cartridge, and it has one of the best factory stocks going.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
I bought a .308 Montana 6-mos ago and quality is great. I elected not to send it in for the recall, but fit, form, and function is great! It will shoot bug holes if the nut behind the trigger does their part.

I would not hesitate to buy another.
Posted By: Sako Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Oh no... not this again.....

Yes, they have had problems....

Yes, they have made some that are good and some that are really good....

That is why they call it Kimber Roulette.... you never know which one you will get.

Now let all the bi$ching and name calling start....

You have the people who have good ones who will never admit they made anything but great ones and everyone else cannot shoot a gun and are not sure even how to load it.... Then you have the others who hate kimber and their poor quality and will not admit they make any that are good...

I have had two... a pistol and a Montana... The pistol would jam bad even with 45 ball ammo, called Kimber and they told me I needed to buy the new modified mags they were now making.... Ugh.. wait... why should I have to buy a replacement if the mags I have are the issue that they sold with the gun?

I then bought a Montana.. Loved the feel of the gun but it would not even chamber a factory round... had to send it back to Kimber and they resized the chamber... then I could barely keep it on a 8.5x11 piece of paper at 100 yards... sent it back.. they tweeked it but by this time I was done with it and sold it....

Then there are those that have good ones... and they shoot great... I just wish I would of bought one of those the first time.....

Has the quality improved... Probably but there are still some of the problem guns out there... it would probably be best to buy new to avoid any of the old ones.

Either way, Good luck
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Originally Posted by billd

Have yet to see a "bad" one,going back to first Production,to the most recent.

Though in fairness,that only accounts for a few dozen samples in the first hand................(hint)
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Originally Posted by billd

lol. How many threads are you going to start about this?
Imagination and Pretend are free...don't go crushing those sweet "satisfactions"................(grin)
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Originally Posted by Sako

That is why they call it Kimber Roulette.... you never know which one you will get.

Either way, Good luck

^^^^^^ THIS
I'd not weigh the inherent attributes of ANYTHING,based on the "critique" of a Drooling Dumb Phuqq.

Hint.................
Should be f hukks. More than one share the sentiment....hint
What happened to Imaginary Pretend Ignore? It sorta ruins it,when you forget to lie about "not being able" to read what I say. Perhaps mention yet again how "REAL" your Pretend is to you and do not forget to mention you "don't care".

Laughing!

Wax eloquent on how a Montana whipped your amazingly STUPID ass,due your "knowledge","experience" and "results".

Might I suggest you fill out yet another Hurt Feelers Report too?!?

Just saying...............
Told you before tell you again. Worked load for 5 of them 3 270 wsm one 7mm wsm and a 325 wsm. One 270 wsm was a tackdriver. Not a single group over 1". The rest were trash.

You "tell" me lots of stuff and none too "surprisingly" you are a clueless piece of schit in all that you TRY to relate.

Sorta awkward ain't it,because you TOLD me I'm on "Ignore" numerous times too. You poor poor sappy clueless whining phuqq.

You haven't the savvy,to even tell the truth...but don't think them constants ain't FUNNY!

Bless your heart..................
All this because I do not like Montanas. Never disagreed on anything else! LOL laugh
"All" of what? You have always been and always will be a Clueless Phuqqing Idiot.

You are doing "great"!

Besides being a Stupid Phuqq,you are also a Lying Phuqq and the melding is Funnier Than Phuqq.

Congratulations?...............
Oh! how sweet of you Lawrence!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Originally Posted by Fotis
All this because I do not like Montanas. Never disagreed on anything else! LOL laugh

Fatal flaw? laugh

DF
More of an objective overview of her "abilities".

Tough to trump the humor of a Lying Moderator Clueless Phuqq...feigning her first clue...................
Posted By: 40O Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
I remember when you could pick up used Montanas around $900. Now people want near new prices for busted up sh#$t. Can we please stop waging such a successful campaign again the Montana haters? Please? Maybe the prices will go down on used. Hell, Can't we join the haters for awhile? Intentionally try to bust the used market and drive the price down?

Just a thought.

Never mind.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
I actually picked up a new Kimber MT in 270 Win (yeah, I know) a couple of months ago and finally got a chance to put some rounds through it this past weekend. I had not had a chance to make up any handoads for it, but had some factory Fed Fusion 130s I was going to use to get the scope lined up and get a base line on how the rifle ran. I also had a box of Nosler Factory 130 AB and 150 ABLR to try out as well (this rifle hated the 130 AB load, but showed promise with the 150 ABLR load, at least in factory form). Prior to shooting it, I did got through SAS's/Boxer/BS advice regarding some of the issues which cause accuracy problems with them and shortened the mag box a tiny bit, and the front action screw a tiny bit as well, but the slave bedding seemed pretty good so I did not bed it-yet. I also put in Dyna Bore Coat in the barrel (first rifle with it) just to see for myself what it's all about.

Should have shot it first before I did any work just to get a baseline, but the pics below speak for themselves. The groups were shot with an older Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 UCC in Talley lightweight rings at 100 yds in 90 degree heat and little wind. I'm was planning to switch the scope out to a Leupy 6x36 w/dotz that I ready have, but I'm actually a little afraid to mess with this one too much and ruin whatever mojo it has going on right now.

First group I let the barrel cool about 5 minutes between shots, second group shot one right after another for three shots, third group shot with the 5 minute cool down between shots. These were three shot goups and apparently I kept missing the penny...

This is my third Kimber MT, and all three I've been lucky with so far with no major issues. If you�re worried about Kimber roulette, and don�t have the will to work on it if it has some issues, buy a pre-loved proven shooter and have fun. Just one guy�e experience.

Craig

Description: Group 1
Attached picture Group 1 small.jpg

Description: Group 2
Attached picture Group 2 small.jpg

Description: Group 3
Attached picture Group 3 small.jpg
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Kimber quality?

If they call it kimber roulette then I must be on what they call one hell of a roll.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
Last I knew, Gander Mountain in Northwest Houston has a used 300WSM Montana for $900. But I suspect there's a reason why it's for sale smirk

They have some wonderful designs, but if you don't have to work on them, you will be lucky. That's true of pistols or rifles.

edit to add, to be fair, the newer ones seem to have a better rep, so perhaps a new one will give you a better than even chance of being good.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
People always want to tell their stories about bad Kimber experiences.

I've bought NIB model 700s and Model 70s that wouldn't function, right out of the box. Had to go back to the factory.

I guess that means Remingtons and Winchesters are crap. And before someone screams "$1200 rifles should be flawless," if you buy a $600 Remington or Winchester, you're gonna need to dump the stock and buy a real one anyway.
Originally Posted by 40O
I remember when you could pick up used Montanas around $900. Now people want near new prices for busted up sh#$t. Can we please stop waging such a successful campaign again the Montana haters? Please? Maybe the prices will go down on used. Hell, Can't we join the haters for awhile? Intentionally try to bust the used market and drive the price down?

Just a thought.

Never mind.

I stand corrected...............(grin)
A gent with a clue...can reliably connect alotta dots...............
The ball is ROLLIN'.................
I agree smoke. The only rifles that have been very accurate for me are

Sako
Tikka
Savage
Howa
WBY vanguard.
I treat ALL rifles the same...by Starting At The Start.(hint)

Most Self-Shucker issues are mag related,no matter who makes the Self-Shucker.

Re-hint................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
More of an objective overview of her "abilities".

Tough to trump the humor of a Lying Moderator Clueless Phuqq...feigning her first clue...................

when did I lie?
Start with Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

You Lying Clueless Phuqqs are a hoot!.................

ok yeah sure!
Fascinating.

You never threw a Hissy Fit and "declared" same,as you Kchunted out of a Thread?

Laughing!..............
like I said when did I lie about guns loads etc? And yes based on your vulgarity the ignore goes on/off.
Posted By: Rogue Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
like I said when did I lie about guns loads etc?

When you have to qualify your statement...
Funny how a Clueless Lying Phuqq,can "justify" anything.

Wow...................
Can not come up with anything other than insults huh?
Proves my case.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
I've not run across a bad Kimber. I have run across a lot of folks who can't shoot a lightweight rifle.
Can not come up with anything other than insults huh?
Proves my case.

I couldn't begin to insult a Lying Clueless Phuqq...nearly as well as the Lying Clueless Phuqq could herself.

Funny how it actually works and I mean FUNNY!...........
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Kimber Quality - 08/26/14
I bought a Montana .243 a few years ago. Checked the usual suspects, mounted a scope shot it. No muss, no fuss.

Bought one in .223. Check it out, skimmed the bedding a scootch, took a little off the bottom of the mag well, mounted a scope, shot it. Shoots just fine.

Bought a Classic Select in .308, mounted a scope. Never shot it and probably never will. I bought it to look at and fondle. I think it is my youngest grandson's graduation present.

To the point, I'll just call it 2 for 2 in the win column.
Oh I probably like the "odds",myself.................(grin)
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
.223 bought to give the kids time behind a centerfire. Magwell adjusted to fit mo betta so as not to bind, bedded the lug, talley lightweight lows, leupy vxII 3-9 (i know, i know) and good to go.

Had a colt light rifle sent off to Melvin for his stock, trigger, follower, tune up etc. right before I picked up the montana, just got it back and while its a sweet little rifle, Im wishing Id just spent that money on another montana. The faux NULA is almost "bulky" compared to the kimber.

Only bad luck I had with a Kimber was a k22 HS model
when the new york rifles first came out. Shot 5-8" groups with every ammo I tried. Sent it back and they rebarreled and sent it back. Wish I hadnt sold it, but a 1710 HB annie sporter took its place.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by 40O

Just a thought.

Never mind.

I picked up a used .308 Classic for around that price a few years back. The barrel was rough and 1.5" hundred yard groups was about all it would do. I could see a constriction around 2" from the muzzle thru the Hawkeye. Kimber tech told me that accuracy was within their standards. Not mine, not with a .308. I liked the gun enough to fit a SS Broughton 5R in 23". After that, it would shoot 3/8" at a hundred with certain loads, 1/2" with several. Nice little gun.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Here's a peek inside the nether regions of one of the BEST 308 spouts I've ever had and I'm disheartened to say I've had a schit load.

[Linked Image]

Just saying................
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
I have a number of Kimbers and I like the rifle.

I shot my 270 WSM today to check that it was still sighted in at 200yds.

From a cold barrel it put it's first shot 1/2" to the left and 1" high! A second confirming shot made a 1.5" group. cool

[Linked Image]

It's the 2nd. from the top.

Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
[Linked Image]

I just have one Montana

Great rifle....it just needs to go with me more often
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I picked up a used .308 Classic for around that price a few years back. The barrel was rough and 1.5" hundred yard groups was about all it would do. I could see a constriction around 2" from the muzzle thru the Hawkeye. Kimber tech told me that accuracy was within their standards. Not mine, not with a .308. I liked the gun enough to fit a SS Broughton 5R in 23". After that, it would shoot 3/8" at a hundred with certain loads, 1/2" with several. Nice little gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

My and my buddy's 270 WSMs went back to kimber and came back shooting just as bad. 2 moa for a $1k gun? No thanks,

DF

[Linked Image]

My and my buddy's 270 WSMs went back to kimber and came back shooting just as bad. 2 moa for a $1k gun? No thanks,

They don't seem to get as excited about sub MOA as we do...

DF
I'd sure like to drive a "bad" one...because it'd be funny!

For lotsa reasons..............
This was an earlier Classic and Kimber did the upgraded three position safety and some other stuff. So, that part was great.

All I can say is it's a better gun now than when I first got it. My total investment may exceed what I could sell it for, but I'm not planning to sell it.

DF
Precisely DF.

Larry maybe it was in the infancy of their manufacture. Mine were bought in 2002 time frame. Maybe now they are better made.

Now, one 270 WSM my friend Tim had could not be made to shoot over 1 moa!!! That one we kept.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Here's a peek inside the nether regions of one of the BEST 308 spouts I've ever had and I'm disheartened to say I've had a schit load.

[Linked Image]

Nice krown job. Is that the inverted 11 degree target krown? smirk
Posted By: mathman Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I have a number of Kimbers and I like the rifle.

I shot my 270 WSM today to check that it was still sighted in at 200yds.

From a cold barrel it put it's first shot 1/2" to the left and 1" high! A second confirming shot made a 1.5" group. cool

Two shots make a pair, not a group.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

[Linked Image]

That is the troll/'tard version. He's like Barsness, he don't need no stinkin' crown neither.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Why is TAP here? And why slam JB?
Posted By: mathman Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
That is the troll/'tard version. He's like Barsness, he don't need no stinkin' crown neither.

Where did JB say that?
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Show us the crown of your Kimber...or any rifle for that matter.
Fotis,

You Lying Clueless Phuqq...your "best" is HILARIOUS..............
That's a ceramic stone SDM-4 crown job,chamfered with a VLD deburring tool...........

[Linked Image]

SquatToPee,

Pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

Wax eloquent on the "satisfactions" of being too broke to afford a free camera and too stupid to drive same,then say something about a Montucky whipping your ass.

You're an Ace.

Laughing!................
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Maybe now they are better made.

Ahhhh......... wasn't that the question?
Odd...I've gunned 'em from inception,to the current crop and have never stumbled anywhere near a "bad" one. Fact is,they just might be rather well represented in the A/O. Hint.

Funny how being clueless,do no favors in a critique..............(hint)
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Fotis,You Lying Clueless Phuqq...

when did I lie?

. Mine were bought in 2002 time frame.

not from Kimber......
Shhhhhhsssss...don't go spooking her out of the hole.

Let her Imagination and Pretend flow freely..................(grin)
Oh, riiiiight, got it......Sorry.
Just provide slack on the rope,kick back and watch Imagination and Pretend "work"................
I agree smoke. The only rifles that have been very accurate for me are

Sako
Tikka
Savage
Howa
WBY vanguard.

I think you missed my point. Being, any rifle maker turns out lemons sometimes. I've never had a problem getting a Winchester to shoot. Every factory Model 70 I've owned has shot at least MOA. The .308 was an honest half minute rifle with just bedding and a trigger job.

The one that had to go back was a .270 That shot well under an inch with factory ammo. Even with a magnum bolt face. With matching serial #.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

when did I lie?

not from Kimber......

Dick Tracy, is that you?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
I'm scared to shoot mine now.....
Yes. But, you can call me Richard.
I'm thinkin' a certain Lying Clueless Phuqq is afeared to type..................(grin)
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
I think I know why the newer ones shoot good. Their is at least one Model 70 mechanic working there from the old New Haven plant.
You are correct, I was mistaken It was 2004-2005. One mistake does not make one a liar, Either way both of the 270 WSM's were purchased when they were first introduced. I was looking for a super lightweight rifle. Topped it with ultraweight talleys and compact leupold 3x9.
Originally Posted by mathman

Where did JB say that?

Fun is fun, but stepping over the line isn't Kosher.

I feel fortunate to have JB and others posting on this site. I learn a lot from them. There is no way I could experience near what JB has experienced. If I started now, I wouldn't have enough time left.

So, I learn from guys like him. Scenarshooter (Pat) is the real deal, too. But, he reportedly got tired of the Fire BS and withdrew. The ones that were always taking shots at him couldn't pack his jock and aren't sources of info worth repeating.

The Fire is like eating chicken wings, you swallow the meat and spit out the bones. Sometimes it seems like a lot of bones for the meat, but that's OK.

Every time we lose a poster like Pat, we all lose, the Fire loses. So, I don't have much patience with trolls and agitators who love to harp and snipe, always challenging anyone with expertise on any topic. They just gotta be the alpha dog, no matter what.

Stick occasionally drops some real pearls and I have learned from him. Wish I knew half what he knows about turrets and reticles, photography and fishing. He likes to fight and jest, takes to task those he things are overreaching. I can live with that, his style notwithstanding.

IMHO,

DF
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by mathman

Where did JB say that?

Fun is fun, but stepping over the line isn't Kosher.

I feel fortunate to have JB and others posting on this site. I learn a lot from them. There is no way I could experience near what JB has experienced. If I started now, I wouldn't have enough time left.

So, I learn from guys like him. Scenarshooter (Pat) is the real deal, too. But, he reportedly got tired of the Fire BS and withdrew. The ones that were always taking shots at him couldn't pack his jock and aren't sources of info worth repeating.

The Fire is like eating chicken wings, you swallow the meat and spit out the bones. Sometimes it seems like a lot of bones for the meat, but that's OK.

Every time we lose a poster like Pat, we all lose, the Fire loses. So, I don't have much patience with trolls and agitators who love to harp and snipe, always challenging anyone with expertise on any topic. They just gotta be the alpha dog, no matter what.

Stick occasionally drops some real pearls and I have learned from him. Wish I knew half what he knows about turrets and reticles, photography and fishing. He likes to fight and jest, takes to task those he things are overreaching. I can live with that, his style notwithstanding.

IMHO,

DF

JB is the real deal, a true gentlemen.
I agree and very nice to deal with on sales in the classifieds also. Never an issue after many purchases.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
FWIW, the only Kimber issue I believe that ever had any validity was a problem with 7mm barrels. This didn't come from internet rumors....this came from a face to face meeting with the Kimber guys. They even stopped production for a period of time.

Exactly the "issue".

You are correct, I was mistaken It was 2004-2005. Either way both of the 270 WSM's were purchased when they were first introduced. I was looking for a super lightweight rifle. Topped it with ultraweight talleys and compact leupold 3x9.

Ain't it funny how Imagination and Pretend "work" and I mean phuqqing FUNNY.

I'll feign my "surprise",that The Lying Clueless Phuqq dropped yet another ball,but was "close".

I know what I have owned. Good enough for me. Whether one wants to believe it I really do not care.
You "know" how "real" your Pretend is,to you.

Congratulations?!

Laughing................
Either way both of the 270 WSM's were purchased when they were first introduced.

I've only owned one Montana in 270 WSM, it shot great out of the box. Better with a little Accraglass and trigger adjustment.. Since then, it's been a 7 WSM, and now a 6.5 WSM.

That's the thing I really like about Montanas. They are a platform worth building on. If you're gonna build a rifle, you may as well start with an action and stock that are worth building it around.

In other words, start at the start. I just made that up.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/27/14
Originally Posted by huntsman22

when did I lie?

not from Kimber......

Don't know about the 84 but my Kimber K22 Classic was built in 2001
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
Mine were SS montanas with the grey stock.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14

[Linked Image]

There isn't much funnier on the Fire than you guessing about "crowns". Please do tell us again how your "Kimber didn't have a crown." That's some funny cchit.

By the way, on the dumbphuck index you're running neck and neck with JeffO and his being stumped trying to open a Nosler box. Also please tell us again about how you were a "sniper". Thanks!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
All this and

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/WTB_Winchester_Extreme_Weather#UNREAD
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
Looking forward to shooting mine in a few weeks or so when I get home. A 270 bought here via two owners that indicated it shot very well. I expect no surprises.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
Facts IS funny.

Fotis,SquatToPee and JeffO...could make millions,by filming their best efforts,with all this "tricky" stuff...............(grin)

Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
My Montucky 257 Bob was so unacceptable I had it retubed to 243AI.

Hint....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
All the good ones were apparently sent to SE Alaska�

I'm just getting a charge out of seeing "Kimber" and "quality" used in the same sentence�.
Posted By: Rogue Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
Maybe they only work within Alaska's narrow barometric pressure range.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
While only a sample size of one, I picked up a 308 second hand a little over a year ago and have enjoyed it. The first owner apparently was not happy with it. I replaced the Weaver style windage adjustable base and rings with Talleys, remounted the scope, and checked the receiver screws with a torque wrench. Did nothing else to it, and did no load development.

Just picked up the ammo I use in all of my other 308's, and it runs nicely.

200 yards:

[Linked Image]
Happy for you. I truly am. And I understand the QC has improved in the last couple years. I haven't dealt with their guns for five years, so I hope so.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
My Montucky 257 Bob was so unacceptable I had it retubed to 243AI.

Hint....

I get to HEAR all sorts of stuff,that differs from what I SEE. Damned few folks could begin to critique a rifle.

As mentioned,I can only comment on a few dozen Montuckys and the shopping spree certainly has not waned.

Hint..................
You're just not trying hard enough...
Rifle's talk...but noone listens.

Though I do enjoy The Show.............
Posted By: moosemike Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
Never wanted one. I seen a couple guys at the range struggling to get their Montanas to shoot. At least one was a Roberts.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
I must be one "lucky" SOB.........

.260 Montana arrived, I mounted a 6x Leupold on it and went to work. Thus far it has shot well with everything I've tried. I finally "settled" on the TTSX.

.223 Montana arrived. I mounted a 3-9 Leupold with turrets.......same story.

My only problem now is that I'm debating grabbing 'smoker's barrel in the Classifieds just to play with a .308 Montana. It's a tough life.

George
Posted By: CoalCracker Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14

Originally Posted by moosemike
Never wanted one. I seen a couple guys at the range struggling to get their Montanas to shoot out of the case. At least one was a Roberts.

Fixed it for you. grin

Maybe these guys could get some pointers from this (at the time) twelve year old kid:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/28/14
I might be convinced yet to get a .223 montucky ...
Musing same,myself................
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I hear good thangs!
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I do have one question though on the montucky. Stainless action, barrel, bolt, trigger, action screws and a synthetic stock. Why the blued mag box?? Seems out of place

Craig
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I checked a Kimber Montana WSM and the mag. box is blue and attracts a magnet.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
What a piece of chit.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
My follower is plastic. More chit.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I checked a Kimber Montana WSM and the mag. box is blue and attracts a magnet.

So does the barrel, action and trigger guard. So?
These Kimber Montanas are excellent rifles.

I have many rifles that are the same. Some of them are very old and they are just fine.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I hate Kimbers so much I have six of them.

Five Montucky's - 223, 308, 308, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM.... and one 22 LR Hunter.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
At least some good Kimbers got sent to NoDak.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I'm up to 3 now with the latest being a Montana 280 AI.
Kimber 308 stays sighted in! 200 yards!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Cite the rifle that loses zero,setting idle...inside the house.

Just one.

Laughing!...............
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14

Originally Posted by Scorpion

If they would put out a 260 I'd be all in in spades.

Considering slumming a .308
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
I do have one question though on the montucky. Stainless action, barrel, bolt, trigger, action screws and a synthetic stock. Why the blued mag box?? Seems out of place

Craig

Because it's less expensive and doesn't need to be SS.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Maybe Stick will post a pic of his rust covered mag box...
It happens..................(grin)
I'd happily pay extry for a S/S 'box................
Posted By: geedubya Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14

Originally Posted by Scorpion

If they would put out a 260 I'd be all in in spades.

they did............

[Linked Image]

and so did Sako........

JAFO,

GWB
Maybe so, but is the fact that it's not gonna stop you from buying a Kimber?
Would be happier to pay the extry $3 out of the gate.

I break alotta schit..................

but would you kill any more critters?

[Linked Image]

JAFO,

GWB
Originally Posted by smokepole
Maybe so, but is the fact that it's not gonna stop you from buying a Kimber?

No it wouldn't, but it does seem odd that Kimber wouldn't spring for the paltry amount of $$$ to make a mag box out of SS. If I lived in a very wet environment, I'd simply sent the CM mag box out to Birdsong, like I've done with my Remmy triggers and CM scope mounts.

Catch shorter fish. Then you could measure 'em against something other than a rifle.
Mechanical concessions,are not advantages.

A high-fenced Titty Shoot,has never been,nor ever will be...a barometer of evaluation for anything,except humor.

Hint.........................
It's never not hilarious,to grant Window Lickers opportunity to "think".

Few could begin to fathom,a thing called weather...though they "think" they can.

Funny how it actually works................
With a S/S box installed,I'd not be looking to score a C/M replacement,as a mechanical "advantage"...................(grin)

Few could begin to fathom,a thing called weather

[Linked Image]

Weather???

[Linked Image]

what does that translate to in Texican?

[Linked Image]

does it have something to do with hunting conditions?

[Linked Image]

Quien Sabe,

Jose Canusee

PS: Me gusta chi-chis mas tan grande, es mejor que nada, yo creo.

Posted By: heavywalker Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Wow double rainbow, better pull up the poncho.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
The local shop has a Montana in 25-06. Maybe I'll buy it and have it re-barreled in 7x57 - just to see the reaction here.

But I would need to replace the "chitty" parts.....so I can fully pretend to shoot in extreme conditions (like when it's not 80 and sunny here in California)

wink
You'll do yourself favors,by thinking bullets first. Hint.

Though I enjoy the inherent hilarity of watching the Clueless...simply do their best.........................
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
You'll do yourself favors,by thinking bullets first. Hint.

Though I enjoy the inherent hilarity of watching the Clueless...simply do their best.........................

The reality is I will buy one in 7x08 or .223 when I see one. I don't think rebarreling one for essentially a 7x08 when you can buy a 7x08 makes a whole lot of financial sense. But rifle loonies seldom spend wisely...
You boys might talk me into a Montana yet!..................
With a S/S box installed,I'd not be looking to score a C/M replacement,as a mechanical "advantage"...................(grin)

Of course, if a SS is available for said rifle. With a Remmy, it's easy. Don't know if ones available for the Montuckey.
They ain't.

Choices are easiest,when there are none................(grin)
true dat
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
10 yrs ago who would have thought we'd see Big Stick extolling the virtues of a non-Remington, CRF, non-Mcmillan stocked, non x-bullet shooting, non .25 cal rifle, not wearing a leupold scope but a chicken scope laugh

The times they are a changin!!!

Mike
Light done right,has never not been THE focus.

The Montucky is the pick of the litter and by light years.................
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
At the risk of getting beat up I will admit after my first I could easily sell the lot and replace them with Montanas. My Remy Ti's are getting lonely since the new girl came home.

No I wont sell the Ti's, just saying I like my Kimber a whole bunch and it shoots as well as any of the other .308's.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
Cite the rifle that loses zero,setting idle...inside the house.

Just one.

Laughing!...............

This one shoots just fine, when it's warmed up, and you keep the barrel at about the same temp. Let it cool off, and it will shift zero...

[Linked Image]

The inside of the barrel looks like someone forgot the lube when it was rifled smirk
I'd prefer the Montucky to be PF and wear a 3" box...but they connect more dots than anyone else.

Trigger rocks,8-40's is soothing,the stock is killer and if it didn't make noise,you wouldn't even know you had it with you..................(grin)
Start At the Start. Hint.

Mounts,glass,bedding and ammo are all suspect...along with torque values.

Re-Hint................
Posted By: Coyotejunki Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
What is a chicken scope?
If the Super Chicken has a downside, it would be weight. It probably weighs 5 ounces more than a FX3.
SWFA Super Sniper
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
and rifling that looks like it was carved by a drunk sailor ain't a start? smirk
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
There must have been a memo I missed declaring all other rifles obsolete.
I had a 40x that looked rough too, but it shot stupid small groups
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
I was just funnin with y'all. My Montucky Bob shot perfectly well. I just wanted to mess with the 243AI due to bullet selection.
Posted By: rattler Re: Kimber Quality - 08/29/14
my 260 is scary accurate for the first two rounds than things start opening up as the barrel warms....should prolly bed it one of these days and see if it settles down but everything from Corelokts to TSX's the first two go into damn near the same hole and it opens up to about an inch to inch and a half depending on the load by the bottom of the magazine....its one rifle i never plan on selling....
Originally Posted by Mike_S

If you ever pried your kchunt from the couch,you might could attain a first clue.

Until then,you "get" to wallow in your Do Nothing Dumbphuqqedness and "contribute" in kind.

THANKS for the laughs!................
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I was just funnin with y'all. My Montucky Bob shot perfectly well. I just wanted to mess with the 243AI due to bullet selection.

I patiently await a "bad"one..................
Accuracy CAN'T be "seen".

It must be experienced................
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
What is a chicken scope?

Coyote

http://www.riflescopes.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C5819.aspx

Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
What is a chicken scope?

It's how you add more fun to a 10/22....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
the ol' uber chickens are built like tanks, the clicks work, and the glass (at least on the 6x's) is really pretty nice. the ONLY thing i dont like is that you have to get closer to em than a leupold 6x42. when you do, though, the picture is nice
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
10 yrs ago who would have thought we'd see Big Stick extolling the virtues of a non-Remington, CRF, non-Mcmillan stocked, non x-bullet shooting, non .25 cal rifle, not wearing a leupold scope but a chicken scope laugh

The times they are a changin!!!

Mike

And built by a bunch of chicken-schitt phuggers of the Demoncrat persuasion in NYC with the stocks imported from Costa Rica.

Whoodathunkit!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm stickin' to my MR's & Ti's.

MM
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Perfect!

Think I'll score a few more..................
Posted By: Slavek Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14

This design has been around since 1890s and was perfected by Paul Mauser. New rifles have better steel and fancy plastic stocks with free-floated barrels making them cheaper to make and less prone to poi shifts in varying atmospheric conditions. If you want something with different bolt lockup look at Browning (model Acera) Sauer, Heym or Steyr Daimler Puch.
If one wants American bolt gun there are basically two choices Remington 700 type or Winchester pre-64 type systems.
Get him!

Laughing!..............
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14

If you ever pried your kchunt from the couch,you might could attain a first clue.

Until then,you "get" to wallow in your Do Nothing Dumbphuqqedness and "contribute" in kind.

THANKS for the laughs!................

Thanks for the response big dick, as always your command of the English language is riveting. Prying myself from the couch I peruse the latest Kimber catalog, low and behold no left handed rifles.. hmmmm Sorry that my affliction prevents me from utilizing such a grand design. Now please gfy.. and have a nice day there on the Milford.
You'll always want to remember to start things off by phuqqing yourself...simply because you WILL get more pussy that way.

Thank me later!................
Perfect!

Think I'll score a few more..................

Please do, brutha............their customer service is top notch too (hint).

MM
Do tell,how you were so stumped...as to place that call!

GREAT timing. Just called Big Momma and she said there's another .473" S/A Montucky that just hit the house yesterday.

Funny how it works.

Laughing!...................
6BR done already or just the victim?
Victim. Comp dies,bushings,brass,etc...oughtta be there in a smidge. Barrel i at the Plumber's,I'll hit the house,box it up and have it back while at work.

Short R&R this pass,so as to align Ruttitude. The Montucky 6BR will be rather Famous,in rather quick fashion...................(grin)
I could see the Normtucky as the sleeper of all sleepers...
Wouldn't hurt my very tender feelings.

The paint will determine that...............(grin)

Never been stumped, & I've not made the call as I haven't been suckered into the fold..........just watched the trials & tribulations of other victims.

Sing it brutha, sing it; you can have my share.

Praise the Lord & save the MR's & Ti's for me.

MM

Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Never been stumped, & I've not made the call as I haven't been suckered into the fold..........just watched the trials & tribulations of other victims.

MM

More of the usual shiit . . . some guy shooting his mouth off about something he has zero knowledge of.

TAK's opinion is worth ten times more than yours. sick

At least he owned one.

Your opinion is obviously useless.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Why do you mob call 'em Montuckys?

Something lost in translation perhaps...

MM

You mighta got "suckered" into the other side....
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/30/14
Montucky and wissum

TFF
Don't forget the shamwow.....
Posted By: geedubya Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
OK,
I'll admit it.

[Linked Image]

I've been known to slum a Kimber when stepping out at night.

JAFO,

GWB
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

MM

More of the usual shiit . . . some guy shooting his mouth off about something he has zero knowledge of.

TAK's opinion is worth ten times more than yours. sick

At least he owned one.

Your opinion is obviously useless.

Undoubtedly, we'll need a long pry-bar to get you off of Stick's schlong.......................

MM
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14

MM

That was CLOSE!

You damned nearly had one.

Laughing!...............
PS and by the way...why is it that you Whining Clueless Kchunts who "do" the least,get horned up soooooooo easily and start musiongyour Cockly Fascinations aloud,when stumped by something as simplistic as a rifle?

Congratulations?................

She's doing the best she can,given her means,faculties and abilities.................
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
The posts above by Big Stick are yet another example of how he ruins our forum with insults to others along with profanity.

Even in grade school with children they have problems like this. Through professional counseling, the training the educators have and what parents do can turn an ill behaving, unhappy child into a happy one.

When these children learn to get along in a reasonable way with others they become happy, wealthy and attractive adults.

Never give up. smile
Dumb Don,

You forgot about Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Again.

Laughing!.................
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
PS and by the way...why is it that you Whining Clueless Kchunts who "do" the least,get horned up soooooooo easily and start musiongyour Cockly Fascinations aloud,when stumped by something as simplistic as a rifle?

You stupid one track minded puzzy, no one's cluesless here...............you don't seem to be able to distinguish between being smart enough to stay away from that which causes angst & that which doesn't, so once again a resort no name calling.

I revel in the success of not being in the Kimber fold when MR's & Ti's do more that is required with ease & w/o the moaning.

Have a great day Fugghead.

MM

You stupid one track minded puzzy, no one's cluesless here...............you don't seem to be able to distinguish between being smart enough to stay away from that which causes angst & that which doesn't, so once again a resort no name calling.

I revel in the success of not being in the Kimber fold when MR's & Ti's do more that is required with ease & w/o the moaning.

Have a great day Fugghead.

MM

Hang a pic of a Splendid Beastie you've Ti'd. It will be funny!

Didn't mean to upset your Estrogen Level so much,for you to yield a Hissy Fit.

PS and by the way you Clueless Phuqq..."cluesless" is HILARIOUS!

You are doing "great".

Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
What's the difference between spending $1,000 for a Kimber and tweaking it vs putting a handle on a Winnie, Remmie, Tikka or WTF else and doing the same? Other than the fact that a 24oz stock on those will run $600 and in the end you pay more for less......
Careful now...you are ruffling MontanaMam's feathers and she is a Vagenius. Laughing!

I doubt I've built much more than 60 Customs and probably in more than one contour,length,twist chambering,handle,etc. Am thinking pards have a few too.(grin)

If the Montucky had arrived first,The Herd would look a bunch different.

Hint...................

Posted By: STS45 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
I've been following this thread as I have been strongly considering a Montana in 308. It's been disappointing because of all the crazy back and forth and insults. I'd like to just have a thread where we talk about the pros and cons of the Montana and hear from users with first hand experience. I was planning on a Forbes 20B in 308, and we all saw the epic thread about how bad Forbes was, so the Montana is my next option. Just trying to get good info before dropping $1300+ on a rifle.
What don't you understand? Point out the word(s) that were too big or too tricky.

You've been led to water.

Hint...............

Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by STS45
I've been following this thread as I have been strongly considering a Montana in 308. It's been disappointing because of all the crazy back and forth and insults. I'd like to just have a thread where we talk about the pros and cons of the Montana and hear from users with first hand experience. I was planning on a Forbes 20B in 308, and we all saw the epic thread about how bad Forbes was, so the Montana is my next option. Just trying to get good info before dropping $1300+ on a rifle.

It's impossible to get a thread like you describe.

People buy a $600 rifle, buy a $600 stock for it, bed it, tweak the trigger, etc and have a rifle that is still not as light, nor balance as well as the Kimber and they are happy with it. These same people buy a $1200 Kimber brand new, shoot it a few times and won't take the 15-30 minutes required to check/correct whatever minor ailments the Kimber might have, declaring "For $1200 it should be perfect".

The people that recognize the value of the Kimber package as delivered are happy to spend the few extra minutes to make their rifle's shoot. They are generally perplexed that someone would happily pay the same for a rifle that's not as good, add in at least as much time checking/tweaking and declare the rifle that's the same price for less the better value.

If you're going to get your undies in a bunch because you pay $1200 for a new rifle and it's not perfect as received, the Kimber probably isn't for you. If you can recognize that being able to pick a rifle off the shelf that combines light weight, great balance and a great stock is a great value even if you have to spend 30 minutes tweaking it to make it perfect, then the Kimber is your huckleberry.

David
I've never not Started At The Start with every rifle I've had.

That includes more than (1) Make,chambering,contour and twist rate...if only for conversation.

I remain in the Business of buying "bad" Montuckys that "don't shoot".

Hint...................(grin)
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14

There's always the idea that you could buy a (insert rifle here) and see WTF for yourself, without all the Internet reviews, campfire recommendations, Field and Stream articles, etc, etc. Its ok to chew your own food.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
buncha folks keep testin the water ... over and over ... and never get in ...
I'm diggin' it.

FUNNY schit!..............
Posted By: osix Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14

I had my montana 308 devcon bedded, even before I fired the first shot (same as every other factory rifle I've ever purchased); adjusted the trigger; bit of load development and not looked back since.
Great combination of light weight, handy size, crf, good trigger and plenty accurate for my needs.
It's one I'll be keeping.
Often interesting gun wares out of the box and extrapolate same.

Hint...............
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14

If you are looking for a rifle with the weight and features of the Montana 84m then there isn't anything that comes close. If you just want a fairly light rifle that you won't have to do anything to but shoot, then you might be better off with a Tikka Superlight.

The Kimber is great if you don't mind checking things like action screw lengths and if a mag box is binding, or possibly skim bedding the action, and these things need to be done with any rifle, but if you are looking for perfection because of cost, it doesn't exist.
The Montucky is simply the most,for the least.

Nothing else comes close to connecting as many dots................
Posted By: STS45 Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by osix

I had my montana 308 devcon bedded, even before I fired the first shot (same as every other factory rifle I've ever purchased); adjusted the trigger; bit of load development and not looked back since.
Great combination of light weight, handy size, crf, good trigger and plenty accurate for my needs.

Awesome info. Never said I was looking for perfection out of the box. I appreciate the info, these are all things that are easy.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by osix

Awesome info. Never said I was looking for perfection out of the box. I appreciate the info, these are all things that are easy.

I think you would enjoy a Montana. I bought one earlier this year in 7mm-08 and in factory ammo. it liked some loads and some it did not. the ones it liked were right at or under an inch for 3 at 100 yards.

I'm just getting into reloading and looking forward to really getting a load worked up that it really loves.

I bought new because from all my web research, I decided that the newer ones might be a bit better in QC, and I wanted a warranty.
Posted By: pahick Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Does same apply to wood stocked classic selects? Might be awhile, but thats my next purchase. Just cant like a blind mag for some reason.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
The Montucky is simply the most,for the least.

This
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by pahick
Does same apply to wood stocked classic selects? Might be awhile, but thats my next purchase. Just cant like a blind mag for some reason.

I like the classic

Have a 7-08 and a K22 with 2 position safety

Never liked the blond wood and the ugly engraved FP of the "select"
Posted By: pahick Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I like the classic

Didnt know they engraved the plate. Once I saw Cheesy's rifle, I was hooked..

[Linked Image]

to find one with that kind of wood, that I can afford...well gonna be tough. but thats next years wish list.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
I've only dinked with two Kimbers and they functioned/shot great.

Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I like the classic

Didnt know they engraved the plate. Once I saw Cheesy's rifle, I was hooked..

[Linked Image]

to find one with that kind of wood, that I can afford...well gonna be tough. but thats next years wish list.

FP on select's I've seen say "select grade"
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pahick Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
Thanks. Ya I dont think I care for that much myself.
Posted By: Bryant Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
Had a 325 wsm Montana. Accuracy was good and weight, egos, and style was superb. Kinda wish I still has it but 325 wsm is a little more than I need although the Montana stock and pad goes a long way in negating recoil.

Need to get another one day. Maybe 7 wsm.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Kimber Quality - 09/01/14
The Classics are really nice looking rifles. My brother has a couple, though, and he always seems to be tinkering with it, trying a new load.

I'm going to order a set of Talleys for my Montana, (and a known good scope) since Stick has sworn that's the hot ticket. If it still acts weird with a cold barrel, it shall get a new barrel.
Posted By: 79S Re: Kimber Quality - 09/03/14
With lightweight rifles you have to have good shooting techniques i think most guys dont have that. So they blame the rifle and not their piss poor shooting technique. A heavy rifle will make up for bad form. I had a kimber montana in a 325 wsm that thing was a shooter. I lost her in the delta river when my 6x6 ranger went for a ride. I need to pick up another one but i have winchesters now but i do neef a 300 wsm.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber Quality - 09/03/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The Classics are really nice looking rifles. My brother has a couple, though, and he always seems to be tinkering with it, trying a new load.

I'm going to order a set of Talleys for my Montana, (and a known good scope) since Stick has sworn that's the hot ticket. If it still acts weird with a cold barrel, it shall get a new barrel.

What scope and rings are on it now? Pretty basic stuff to sort.
© 24hourcampfire