Home
Posted By: RevMike Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
Winchester's answer to the Ruger American, Remington 783/770, etc?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
First Ive heard of it.

Last I wanna hear of it.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
I wish makers would spend more time trying to see how good of a gun they can make , rather than how cheap of a gun they can make.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
Looks like Winchester trying to get on the bandwagon with the low priced rifles.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
The Leupold on it probably cost more than the rifle itself.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/interactive/firearms/xpr/
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
You can't blame them. Price oint sells for the masses.

Dealers around here sell about 5 to one "budget" rifles compared to flagship models.
Posted By: Claybirds Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
Our local pusher sells way more savage axis rifles than all the other premier rifles that he carries.

The new shooters are being pushed onto these type of plastic, utilitarian type guns, just look at the hunting shows now, you rarely see premium type guns on hunting shows now a days.

But on the other hand if it gets a new shooter into the sport because he/she can afford a $350 Savage package rifle I'm for it.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/09/14
They aren't being "pushed" on anything. People buy what they can afford.
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Looks like Winchester trying to get on the bandwagon with the low priced rifles.

[Linked Image]

Oliver is rolling over in his grave at about 4500 rpm.....
Your grandchildren will be talking about Winchesters in "pre" and Post" XPR terms....
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Winchester XPR - 10/10/14
I am disgusted.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Winchester XPR - 10/10/14
It looks like they copied the American as closely as they possibly could with just enough difference to sidestep a patent infringement lawsuit. From the remarks here people aren't happy.

Ruger owns that market and I bet it's driving the other gun companies crazy.

Ruger can produce the same rifle - plastic stock, barrel nut, recoil lug attached to the stock, the stocks even look the same etc. etc., and folks take to them like ducks to a new pond and talk up how great they are. They even crave more expanded offerings; "gee, I wish they'd offer a 6.5 Fastwist with a this and that and the other".

Like it or hate it, there's nothing here an emotional reaction is going to change. It's just the market demographics - the folks coming into the major gun buying demographic have no attachment to walnut at all and gun companies stay alive by selling what their buyers want.

BTW, the left hand Ruger Americans are just starting to show up, looks like pretty soon I'll have to replace my right hand American .243 with a leftie... wink
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Winchester XPR - 10/10/14
They have entered the disposable rifle market?
I bet they shoot very well because if they don't, looks and price, won't get them over the line.
I'd try one.
John
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/10/14
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It looks like they copied the American as closely as they possibly could with just enough difference to sidestep a patent infringement lawsuit. From the remarks here people aren't happy.

Ruger owns that market and I bet it's driving the other gun companies crazy.

Ruger can produce the same rifle - plastic stock, barrel nut, recoil lug attached to the stock, the stocks even look the same etc. etc., and folks take to them like ducks to a new pond and talk up how great they are. They even crave more expanded offerings; "gee, I wish they'd offer a 6.5 Fastwist with a this and that and the other".

Like it or hate it, there's nothing here an emotional reaction is going to change. It's just the market demographics - the folks coming into the major gun buying demographic have no attachment to walnut at all and gun companies stay alive by selling what their buyers want.

BTW, the left hand Ruger Americans are just starting to show up, looks like pretty soon I'll have to replace my right hand American .243 with a leftie... wink

You apparently missed all the extended crying and whining that took place here between when Ruger announced the new Americans and the time it took for people to actually buy a few and shoot them. Many threads about how Ruger had lost their way, firearms market going to heII, etc.

David
Posted By: K1500 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/10/14
I don't get what all the uproar is about. They still make the 70, remington still makes the 700 (which was derided at the time of introduction much like the current budget guns are now), ruger still makes the 77, etc.

The budget guns have not killed off the flagship models, and they allow someone to get into the sport with a fairly low level of cash. I have always figured the rifle is the cheapest part of the equation, after all I spend on ammo, scopes, rings, mounts, slings, cases, etc. That's why I typically don't mind to spend a bit more to get what I want, although a Ruger shorty American in .308 is looking kind of attractive to me right now.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/11/14
Originally Posted by K1500
I don't get what all the uproar is about.

Old people don't like change.

David
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester XPR - 10/11/14
Looks like chit is going downhill pretty fast for Winchester again. Maybe they should call this the Portugal rifleman's rifle.. sick
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester XPR - 10/11/14
Oliver Winchester broke winchester in 1936 so it's safe to say Winchester been going downhill since then....
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester XPR - 10/11/14
Too add to this Olin corporation realized in 1980 their was no money in gun making were going to shut the whole operation down. Time for guys to realize most folks are not like you/us and want only a good starter rifle. Example today talking to a guy makes damn good money no kids what does he buy to go to Adak a ruger American so winchester saw/sees an opportunity to make money.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
I wonder if the budget guns are hurting the sale of barrels for Encores and such, considering that you get a complete rifle for the price of a barrel.

Actually, I'm in favor of the budget concept. Having decent rifles available for a low price means beginners those with limited means will be buying them instead of the old, used guns I want.

Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I wonder if the budget guns are hurting the sale of barrels for Encores and such, considering that you get a complete rifle for the price of a barrel.

Actually, I'm in favor of the budget concept. Having decent rifles available for a low price means beginners those with limited means will be buying them instead of the old, used guns I want.

I tried the Encore, and if I can find a good deal on a used barrel to try I will. However, if there is something I want to try for S&G I can re-barrel one of my Savage rifles cheaper than buying a new Encore barrel. I haven't quite pulled the pin on selling the Encore as I think it'll serve me well as a ML.

I like the budget rifles as well, it's a good negotiating tool at the pawn shops. I have no problem letting them know I can go buy a similar rifle cheaper at brand new. It gives me a little leverage from time to time. Especially when I'm looking for a donor action and they have a M700 ADL at the pawn shop for $500 and I tell them I can go buy a new one for $297 and the let me walk out the door with it for $250 tax included.

Posted By: Savuti Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by 79S
Oliver Winchester broke winchester in 1936 so it's safe to say Winchester been going downhill since then....

Quite a feat, since he died in 1880.
Posted By: Wrangler13 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
I hardly see any m70s up here any way. I have never seen a new one in a gun shop. Most people around here carry 700s, 336s, m77s or salvages. I imagine with ruger and salvage dominating the newcomer rifle market I will never see an xpr either.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
What calibers is it being offered in?
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
I don't blame the "market" a bit for these guns.

The companies have jacked the prices of their flagship models up so much that they've priced themselves out of the common man's pocket book.

Last I checked, BDLs were selling for dang near 50% more than they were a few short years ago. I haven't checked on model 70's but my guess is they have followed as well.
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by 79S

I know isn't it...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by 79S

I know isn't it...

I learn soooooooo much here on the 'fire! grin
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
"When Winchester died on December 11, 1880, his ownership in the company passed to his son, William Wirt Winchester, who died of tuberculosis in March of the next year. William's wife Sarah believed the family was cursed by the spirits killed by the Winchester rifle, and moved to San Jose, California and began building a chaotic mansion now known as the Winchester Mystery House with her inheritance, intending to confuse the spirits seeking revenge."

Guess the spirits caused the company to go broke 50+ years later....😃
Posted By: RevMike Re: Winchester XPR - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by Rug3

There's nothing on the website to indicate initial offerings. Probably the usual.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Winchester XPR - 10/13/14
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Rug3

There's nothing on the website to indicate initial offerings. Probably the usual.

Thanks
Posted By: NTG Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Initially offerd in some regulars and some surprises: .270, 30-06, 300win, and 338win. Source: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=880253748674529

I wonder how much it shares parts with it's sister company's AB3?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Looks like a pos. One of Brownings better ideas huh.. Is this one built in Portugal as well...Barrel nut like a Savage, hot damn!!! "Comes in many calibers, 270, 30-06". What a FN idiot..
Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
If it shoots they will sell a pile.
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks like a pos. One of Brownings better ideas huh.. Is this one built in Portugal as well...Barrel nut like a Savage, hot damn!!! "Comes in many calibers, 270, 30-06". What a FN idiot..

Oh boy... Why is it bad for a company to make money??? Will I buy one probaly not but to the guys and gals out their not wanting to blow $800 plus bucks I'm all for it. Not everyone is like you/you lol to most folks to include myself don't see the big deal on pre 64 I know hard for you to comprehend just like I find it hard for you to comprehend the good on these economical rifles. But I think these rifles are like economy grade compound bows they are great for beginners but in the end they will upgrade to better equipment. Me I skip it and go get the good stuff when it comes to rifles and compound bows. [bleep] Laurence you fall out of your chair if you knew what I spent on my compound bow. The last economy grade rifle I bought was my daughters weatherby vanguard youth rifle in 7-08. Hell she's killed more stuff with it than guys running around with $1500 rifles lol... I love Alaska!!!
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
First Ive heard of it.

Last I wanna hear of it.

Same here!! I'm very GLAD I don't NEED anymore 'weapons'!!

Weapons covers a broader spectrum.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Originally Posted by BWalker

Bingo. That is why they are in the business! Look at the run on RAR and the legion of Tikka lovers. Times, they are a changing, whether we like it or not.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Bingo. That is why they are in the business! Look at the run on RAR and the legion of Tikka lovers. Times, they are a changing, whether we like it or not.

Compare a Tikka to a NH classic or a latter Pre 64 mod 70 and the Tikka comes out ahead quality, function and accuracy wise. And I have all of the above on hand right now.
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Uh oh pre 64 guys be along soon to tell you how wrong you are. I need to get me another tikka my last one was boringly accurate I need to find one in a 25-06
Posted By: SLM Re: Winchester XPR - 01/10/15
Some of the Pre 64 guys are pretty comical.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Winchester XPR - 01/11/15

Compare a Tikka to a NH classic or a latter Pre 64 mod 70 and the Tikka comes out ahead quality, function and accuracy wise. And I have all of the above on hand right now.

Can I take it that you are a Tikka lover illustrating my point! All kidding aside, quality is defined differently for each individual which is why we have choices. Some like beautiful wood, others look to engraving or ornate checkering, some begin and end with benchrest accuracy, etc.
As an aside, I believe you would be hard pressed to fault pre 64 model 70 function, assuming function is the actual mechanics involved in the working of the rifle to feed, fire and eject cartridges. They have their weak points, like everything else.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Winchester XPR - 01/11/15

Can I take it that you are a Tikka lover illustrating my point! All kidding aside, quality is defined differently for each individual which is why we have choices. Some like beautiful wood, others look to engraving or ornate checkering, some begin and end with benchrest accuracy, etc.
As an aside, I believe you would be hard pressed to fault pre 64 model 70 function, assuming function is the actual mechanics involved in the working of the rifle to feed, fire and eject cartridges. They have their weak points, like everything else.

I have a Tikka, but am not a fan boy by any means. The fact of the matter is the latter pre 64's were pretty crappy. Poorly designed stocks, poor bluing, tool marks galore,zero gas handling, heavy triggers etc. Not to mention the fact that a Tikka will on average out shoot them. And I am a Winchester guy..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Winchester XPR - 01/11/15
One similarity between the two is being able to have a 243 on a long action...
Posted By: Dooger Re: Winchester XPR - 01/11/15
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Last I checked, BDLs were selling for dang near 50% more than they were a few short years ago. I haven't checked on model 70's but my guess is they have followed as well.

Bought my BDL 300 WM in 1998 for $485. A BDL in 30-06 now sells for close to $800 locally. The 300 WM would be over $850.

So your statement is true. There is a 17 year difference in my prices though.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Winchester XPR - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I bet they shoot very well because if they don't, looks and price, won't get them over the line.
I'd try one.
John

I'll find out soon. Have one on the way for a review... along with a long list of other new toys from SHOT.
© 24hourcampfire