Home
Quick question, I don't want to start a Kimber bashing post. The Montana rifle is perfect for what I want, I've been looking at them for a while. Without starting a flaming war, are there any calibers that are "known" to be more accurate or less problematic out of the box? I've read quite a few posts about 7mm-08 Kimbers having issues, taken with a grain of salt. I'm looking for something for deer, elk and possibly sheep. I've been looking for a .308, 30-06, 280AI or maybe a WSM. Any guidance would be great, thanks.
Be bold.............pay your money & take your chances.............

MM
Downright nice light rifles. If I were looking for one, it would be a 257 Roberts..
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...338981/Montana_84L_Range_Day#Post9338981
Never heard of anyone that couldn't get the 308 Montana to shoot just fine with some load work.
I have a 308. The rifle has always shot just fine. It took a little while for me to learn how to shoot a rifle that was under 6 lbs scoped. In still think that most of the problems with Kimber's accuracy can be traced back to people not having, or taking the time to develop the skills to shoot the rifle.
I've likely got as much experience as anyone using Kimber MT's... have had 8400's in 300 WSM and 270 WSM, 84L's in 270 and 30-06, and 84M's in 257R, 260, 7-08, and 308 (with multiples in most chamberings).

For me, pushing 54 years old, I've gotten weary of excessive recoil and can say the 308 MT with 165's and 270 with 150's are at the end of my fun limit, and what I care to deal with anymore.

All Montana's require excellent bench technique, and of the 16+ that I've had, all would shoot something sub-moa. Some would shoot a lot of stuff sub moa. However, if you're set on one bullet weight or one bullet design you're likely to be disappointed.

However, if you'll let the rifle tell you what it wants to shoot, and are flexible, you'll find something that provides excellent accuracy.

There's been a lot written on the forum about the various accuracy improvements that need to be made to the Kimber... I've bedded all mine from the end of the chamber to the tang (only way to do it IMO). Also, I've found a 2.5lb trigger pull is ideal, with no more than 3lb's at the top end.

For me, the 30-06 84L MT was too much of a good thing. Get a 270 84L (my favorite of the 84L's) or a 7-08 or 308 84M and you'll be good to go (the 8400 in the WSM's are heavier and bulkier and not to my liking).

Would also add, I've loaded for 4 84M Montana 308's and all shot a variety of stuff sub moa... if a Montana 308 doesn't shoot well, it's my experience the problem is the shooter, not the rifle.

Excellent info gentlemen, thank you for the feedback.

Brad, was the recoil on the 30-06 too much?
I guess when I said "too much of a good thing" it would be understood as too much recoil. Yes, excessive recoil.

Get yourself a 270 or 7-08/308 and you'll find bliss.

I've owned Kimbers in 325 WSM, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 308 Win. and 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]

I have to say that the 325 WSM Montana was my favorite.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

followed closely by the Montana in 260 Remington.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB
I have a 243 MT and would really like to add a 270 and 7-08.

And a 223 and 308......grin

Seriously though, they are a great hunting rifle.
Originally Posted by bglimpse
I'm looking for something for deer, elk and possibly sheep.

As a coda,

An 8mm 200 GR. Nosler Accubond over 62 gr. of H-414 is a mild load that will net you +/- 2800 fps MV.
Nosler shows a BC of .450. and a SD of .274.
Wit a 200 yd. zero one is just under 2" hig at 100 and 8" low at 300. Reasonably mild recoil. Nifty ballistics, and very little meat damage.

Works for me.

Best,

GWB
A 260 would be a nice little package.
I've got 4 Kimbers, only one of which is a Montana. Mine is a .270 WSM and I routinely take it out to 650 on gongs on my private range. I think it works out to 1 pound per 100 yards more or less. I found that Kimbers can be a little picky to load for, probably due to the light barrel. 3 out of 4 of mine has a fore-end pad of Devon put in with a few pounds of pressure. That calms them right down.

Recoil on these little things is funny. It starts out startlingly fast but just doesn't have the weight to plow you. Its like getting hit with the fastest feather you ever saw. Once my mind made the adjustment even my .338 Win Mag went from "what just happened" to "that's it?"

I'm sure that others have more shooting tips, but what I've found works is hanging onto them much harder than I do on conventional weight rifles. I use a grip on the pistol grip that would be described as like a very firm handshake. I think that helps calm the torque down. Try to keep the pressure consistent from shot to shot. Another is that the round fore-end that fits your hand so nice isn't ideal for sand-bags. Pay a little more attention to leveling crosshairs shot to shot.
You need the 84L in 30-06

I have one for sale wink

[Linked Image]
Quick question, I don't want to start a Kimber bashing post. The Montana rifle is perfect for what I want, I've been looking at them for a while. Without starting a flaming war, are there any calibers that are "known" to be more accurate or less problematic out of the box? I've read quite a few posts about 7mm-08 Kimbers having issues, taken with a grain of salt. I'm looking for something for deer, elk and possibly sheep. I've been looking for a .308, 30-06, 280AI or maybe a WSM. Any guidance would be great, thanks.

Of the animals and cartridges you mention, the best would be the .308Win.. Brad has a lot of bench time behind the Montana's and knows of which he speaks. He can save you a lot of time and money. He also has about as much knowledge here on tweaking a "problem child". There are others here that are no slouches either. I've had a trunk full of Montanas too with an occasional fling with a walnut version. Being much older than Brad, I too have left the short mags behind, taking 6 elk with the 300WSM and one with a 325WSM. Just can't tolerate the pounding although the new Talkeetna will be acceptable due to its niche application.

The 30-06 in a 84L is very nice but the 180's and 200's are pretty noticeable.
If you are a hand loader and a "tweaker" than you will most likely put in more bench time than a strictly factory ammo shooter. Bench and "field positions" with the light Montana forces you to develop consistent shooting skills. A cartridge that is already on your edge of recoil tolerance could force you into bad habits - something that a Montana can accelerate.

There is nothing on your list of potential animals that necessitate a magnum cartridge even though "need" has nothing to do with it. So get the lightest in the lineup and enjoy your .308Win..

After all the glitch and glam wears off, its the boring cartridges that deliver day after day.

Keep us posted and look up the lengthy Kimber fixes that have been posted here.
They will give you a big head start on any issues that may appear.
Good luck.

I don't own the kimber, but i have built two rifles with the same stock, the High Tech Specialties. I built a 7mmRM with a Rem700 action and a 260 on commercial Mausers action. Both with Shilen match stainless #3 barrels. The 260 has less recoil. The 7mm bucks the wind. The result is the 7mm is always twice as accurate, because the wind always seems to be twice as important as the recoil.

[Linked Image]
The 7mm 140 gr BT 3400 fps.
Flipped him over 4 hooves in the air. Hit him right where I aimed from 477 yards.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

yes it is grin

[Linked Image]
I have a Montana and a Classic Select in 7-08. While not target guns, both unmodified guns are accurate enough for the deer hunting I do.

I think the horror stories and especially the caliber specific stories, are a bunch of hooey. I've heard those same stories about Kimbers chambered in 260. I have Kimbers in 257 Roberts, 260, 7-08 and 25-06 and the 260 is the most accurate of all.

Gee, I may "need" one in 308....
I have the Montana in 308, and a select classic in .257 roberts, I am happy with both of them. I just sold a classic in 300WSM to finance another project but keep wanting another Montana in a smaller caliber than 308. Another 257 roberts would be cool but the .260 and I know nothing about the mag box length, distance to lands etc would be nice.
Is the Kimber Montana stock the exact same shape as the High Tech/Bansner???
The one High-Tech stock I owned was much thicker and bulkier. A good quality stock and a good option, but it is not as trim as the Kimber stock. Perhaps they offer something different than what I had.
Love my 308! It shoots bug holes if I hold on tight. Recoil isn't bad but after about 20-30 rounds I usually put it away.
Just realize that of what you listed, the WSMs will be in the 8400, and that is a completely different rifle from the 84L or certainly 84M. I prefer the 84s by a large margin. Purely personal preference though. While my 84M is a 338 Federal, and I love it, I realize it's a niche cartridge. I simply can't see a reason to not like a .308 in an 84M. I will say, if I get another Montana, it will be an 84L in 280ai. But my 338 Fed isn't going anywhere! Not that I have vast experience, but I really have a hard time imagining a better hunting rifle than a Montana.
I have several Kimber rifles and have sold or traded more than a few

Fit and finish for the $$$ can not be matched by any other company

The 84M is as good a short action platform as there is.....the 84L came along many years later and did not disappoint

The 8400 is not my favorite
Good to know Ted.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I have several Kimber rifles and have sold or traded more than a few

Fit and finish for the $$$ can not be matched by any other company

The 84M is as good a short action platform as there is.....the 84L came along many years later and did not disappoint

The 8400 is not my favorite

I'm with you on this 100%. The 8400 feels so different in my hands. It's kinda thick in all the wrong places.
They seem like a role of the dice to me. Seen some shoot better that any custom could wish to and some not so much. Buy a new one if it will not shoot send it packn and buy another, wink one will shoot sooner or later.
I've read quite a few posts about 7mm-08 Kimbers having issues, taken with a grain of salt.

Rumor has it that Kimber had some bad 7mm barrels a few years ago. I was shopping for a Kimber at that time and the 7mm-08 seemed to have a reputation of being problematic compared to the other chamberings.

Then Kimber dropped the 7mm-08 for awhile. It came back after a hiatus. A member here said that the Kimber reps at one of the Shot Shows said that they had problems with the 7mm barrels and wouldn't release the 7mm-08 until the problems were fixed.

I have a 7mm-08 that was made early last year. Its a great hunting rifle and I've gotten spoiled by the light weight.

Not sure that's it,they had some bad 308. 338 and .284 then. I have seen a 50% split this is only based on the rifles I have loaded for. I think I have missed with only 8, three went back to kimber, one twice, one is at pacnor getting fixed and the others shoot 1/2 moa so flip a coin and enjoy.
So those 3 that went back to Kimber got new barrels?
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

yes it is grin

[Linked Image]

I just picked one up last week too. Hope she's a shooter!
Not sure what they did one of the three came back nails, one went by by from frustration and the was about a 1 1/4 " moa once returned.
Have one in 308 and one in 300wsm. Zero complaints, both of em tack drivers.
Have a 8400 Classic in 270 WSM. Shoots 1/2-3/4" groups with my handloads.

Have a 84M Montana in .308. Shoots 1/2" groups or less with my handloads. Silly stupid accurate rifle.

Have a 84M Stainless Classic in .243. Shoots 1 to 1.5" groups with my handloads. To be fair I haven't played with that gun very much, I bought it to get it rebarreled to a 260.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Downright nice light rifles. If I were looking for one, it would be a 257 Roberts..

Killed a very nice Arkansas 9pt wt buck with mine this morning, 236 lazered yards in light rain, the 100 gr TTSX took him through both shoulders, pop flop, just wish the drag back through the saw-briared clearcut was so easy. grin
I have two Montana's, a 300 WSM and 338 Federal. I have been shooting the 300 quite a bit lately after tweaking on it and developing a load. I Floated the barrel, lapped in the lugs as only one was in contact, larger diameter front screw hole, etc. The barrel seems to hold more copper than my quality barrels after shooting. I know and agree that one should not have to tweak on a $1000 rifle, but I think it may be needed on these Kimbers. Mine is shooting right at 1/2" now at 100 yds. I am satisfied with the rifle overall and may buy a 308 next. And I agree with the above post when shooting off bags, I place my left hand in front of the scope and hold the barrel firmly, butt firmly in shoulder, and a firm grip with the right hand. I also tightened the guard screws real tight. Good luck tuning your Montana into shape.
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
I have a Montana and a Classic Select in 7-08. While not target guns, both unmodified guns are accurate enough for the deer hunting I do.

I think the horror stories and especially the caliber specific stories, are a bunch of hooey. I've heard those same stories about Kimbers chambered in 260. I have Kimbers in 257 Roberts, 260, 7-08 and 25-06 and the 260 is the most accurate of all.

Gee, I may "need" one in 308....

this 260 is the only Kimber ive owned, traded into it but its a good shooter....the group opens up as the barrel warms up(keep meaning to bed it and see if it wont settle this down some)....first two shots usually touch if not damn near go into the same hole but a 5 shot group is somewhere between 1 and 1.5MOA depending on load(it loves 120 grain TSX's)....way more than good enough for the distances i shoot and its a joy to pack....one of the few guns i never plan on selling...modern version of the sweet little 256 Mannlicher killing machine hunters the world over loved 100 years ago as being wonderful to pack i read about in all my old books....
© 24hourcampfire