Home
Posted By: prm Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Anybody have one or shot one? I like the look and design. I really don't know anything about Howa so looking for some insight on this rifle as a possible gift for my son. Thanks.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Howas are awesome, but I wouldn't try to build a lightweight gun around one. What is it about the design of the Alpine that you like?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
I've not shot one, but we have them on the shelf at the shop. They're a neat little package. They ship with DBM and a hinged floorplate. You choose your poison...

They're light in hand, but I've not weighed one. Balance feels nice and i like the stock.
Just weighed it...5 pounds 12 ounces. That was a 308 with the DBM.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Howas are awesome, but I wouldn't try to build a lightweight gun around one. What is it about the design of the Alpine that you like?

The Alpine is built on the Lightweight/Youth action so it's lighter then the standard 1500.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
By about 2 ounces.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Maybe
Negative....the action is the same as their other short actions.
Posted By: salsola Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Some good info here from a previous discussion:

Howa Alpine Rifle
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Exceptionally lightweight is not necessary in this case. Just looking for a quality .308 that is on the lighter end of the spectrum. Synthetic stock and stainless or cerakoted for weather protection is desired. I think he'd like the detachable magazine too. Just looking at options. How do they shoot?
Posted By: Old_Doe_Shooter Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
I think I would go with the Wby Vanguard synthetic sub moa for 1/2 the cash then put a sweet piece of glass on it.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Hmmm that's strange.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by adam32

Hmmm that's strange.

Actually, they're a little bit different. I stole the pic below from Rancho Loco. Looks like about 2 oz. removed from the receiver...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
I actually think it's the same action as the Ranch Hand? I can't remember all their names. We have new short actions on the shelf -- blued, with the same stock in the picture -- that have the edges mimicking the Alpine's.

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
It's a good feeling little rifle..

The local whorehouse has the orange tag on them.. $899

Very tempting..
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
I may try one myself before long.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
I actually think it's the same action as the Ranch Hand? I can't remember all their names. We have new short actions on the shelf -- blued, with the same stock in the picture -- that have the edges mimicking the Alpine's.

Yes, it is the same B/A as used on the Ranchland, youth, or any others that use the short, skinny barrel. The "normal" rounded action, as shown in Rancho's pic, is used on everything else.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Very tempting..

I assume the orange tag means clearance/discontinued. I wonder why so soon. Trying to generate sales at a slow time of year?
Posted By: adam32 Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by adam32

Hmmm that's strange.

Actually, they're a little bit different. I stole the pic below from Rancho Loco. Looks like about 2 oz. removed from the receiver...

[Linked Image]

Looks good. Thanks for the pic! I knew it was a little different.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Very tempting..

I assume the orange tag means clearance/discontinued. I wonder why so soon. Trying to generate sales at a slow time of year?

It's sometimes hard to figure out their orange tags.. Some are to move old stock, some others you kinda go, "huh?"..
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
Well if I decide to go with this, it already has a VX-2 3-9x40 w/CDS on the way. $249 at Cabelas! A couple boxes of 168gn Gold Medal Match to see how it shoots too. Since nobody else has commented on how they shoot, I guess I'll have to give a try.
The few groups I've seen posted indicate the Alpine shoots well, which is not surprising as most Howas do. Are you dead set on a 308? There's a 257 Kimber MT for sale in the classifieds. As much as I like Howas, I'd go with a Kimber over the Alpine because I prefer stainless steel over Cerakoted bluing, weight reduction coming from the receiver rather than mostly the barrel, and a single stage trigger over a two-stage.
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 03/24/15
Thanks. Definitely going to be a .308. It's what he wants. Lots of target shooting, some deer hunting and some future elk trips with me. He does not reload so I think it's a great choice.
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - Updated - 03/31/15
Look what arrived at my local gun shop today! One each Howa Alpine Mtn Rifle in .308.

[Linked Image]

I really like the feel of it. Very similar to an 84M. I'm sure once I get the scope on it will feel noticeably heavier, but still not bad at all. Fit and finish are very nice. It comes with both the bottom metal and mag and a detachable mag. The bottom metal has some tooling marks inside the trigger guard, but overall I am very pleased. Next step is to put the Talleys and the VX-2 3-9x40 w/CDS on it and shoot it. Two boxes of 168 GMM ammo awaits.

Here you can see the grip has a bit tighter radius than the 84M.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine - Updated - 03/31/15
I would appreciate a range report.

Good to see that thing at the 5lb mark.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Howa Alpine - Updated - 03/31/15
What's the general opinion on the polymer box mag assembly?

Seems like it could turn a Howa into an alternative to the Ruger Gunsite Scout if it is reliable and sturdy enough.
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 04/04/15
Took it to the range today for the first time. Some good things and some questions. As to the question about the box mag, I am having an issue with it feeding. I can't decide if the mag is just about 1mm too low, or the spring is not strong enough to hold the back of the case up against the bolt while it's getting pushed forward and the bullet is hitting the feed ramp. The rim ends up dropping below the bolt face most of the time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The groups were fine, for the most part, but I had an issue with POI. Not sure if that's me or something is amiss. I was shooting off a couple simple bags. I set it aside to cool after each group while I shot a different rifle. After shooting 10 rounds breaking it and sighting it in, I shot a few three shot groups.

First group was fine:
[Linked Image]

3rd shot on second group left me scratching my head.
[Linked Image]

Third group was again reasonable.
[Linked Image]

Groups 4 and 5 (left to right). Things that make you go hmmm. Why did the groups go up so much? Just like that earlier 3rd shot. I then adjusted the scope down three clicks between 4 and 5 (and yes I verified that's what I actually did thinking maybe I adjusted it right). I effectively got a 3+ click right impact.
[Linked Image]

Could be me doing something weird I suppose. It is a brand new scope (Leupold VX-2). Could something have shifted inside? I will take another proven scope next time. Or, maybe just put the other on prior. I did torque everything to spec and rechecked the action and ring screws afterwards and they were all to spec. There was some contact between the barrel and the forend. That needs to be corrected. Probably bed the action too. However, I don't want to do any of that until I hear back from customer service on the feeding issue.

On a good note, my Kimber 84M still likes the .338 185 TTSX (although not sighted in for that load at the moment).
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...g/Aeki3ZzBvhY/w416-h555-no/IMG_00189.jpg[/img]

Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine - 04/04/15
Thanks for the range report. I've been considering an Alpine along with a Kimber or Tikka in 7mm-08.
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 04/05/15
I put the bottom metal on it and it chambers rounds perfectly. I really think the spring on the detachable is not strong enough.

Tomorrow I plan to fix the contact on the forend, leave the bottom metal on and shoot a box pattern with the scope to check it. I'll have another scope with me. I'm also taking a different bag configuration that will be easier to be consistent with.
Posted By: GregW Re: Howa Alpine - 04/05/15
Keep us all in the loop on this rifle please -

Thanks -
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 04/16/15
I took it out about a week ago and it (I?) shot terrible. Groups were 1.3 -2.0". That was after bedding it too. Ugh. So, I ordered some Tubb Final Finish, loaded them up and shot all 50 through it tonight. Bore is like glass smooth now. After that I shot a couple groups and they were .75" and 1.0". Now much happier with it. I will still need to fix the spring (or whatever) with the detachable mag. I have not heard back from Howa on that. But I am quite pleased with the rifle. I really like the feel of it. Being a bit heavier, and a .308, it sure is nicer to shoot at the bench than a 338 Fed 84M. This Howa will make a great choice for just about anything.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Howa Alpine - 04/19/15
Glad to hear your making progress...

Given the rifle has a relatively skinny barrel, it might shoot more accurately / consistent with a pressure point between the barrel and the forend..

I've used a strip of rubber cut from a car tire inner tube before now and had god results.

Cut the strip long enough to have surplus hanging out of the barrel channel...

Then simply slide it to various positions and give it a try..Once you find a sweet spot, trim and leave in place until you decide if you want more permanent pressure pad..
Posted By: prm Re: Howa Alpine - 04/19/15
I am quite happy with how it shoots now. Had I continued to have issues that would have been a good thing to try though.
© 24hourcampfire