Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
d500lnn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Can anyone give me any information or opinions on the rifle listed above? I'd like to know about quality, the stock (I've read different things), accuracy, etc.

I'm thinking about trying to find one depending on true retail not suggested retail. I've never owned a howa or Weatherby rifle. Never been a fan.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out some of the posts on hunttalk.com, the moderator Randy, over there hunted with one this past year and had great things to say about it.

While I have not had one, I have had Howas and Bansner/High Tech stocks and I think this is a winning combo from Howa if they can keep the price under $1k

Just thinking outloud here too, but if they twist their 7mm08 tight enough, there is usually plenty of room in the Howa S/A box to seat the 160/8's out there a ways...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
D
d500lnn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good info. I'm actually thinking about the new offering in 6.5 Creedmoor. Need to check that twist rate. Thanks...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I exchanged several emails with Legacy Sports' president this morning. I'll post our conversation later; I asked several questions about this rifle.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i was looking at them online today also...I would like to know how the fit and finish was on the rifle and if it is bedded to the stock....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gene270
i was looking at them online today also...I would like to know how the fit and finish was on the rifle and if it is bedded to the stock....

Pillar bedded.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do they all have that butt ugly mag sticking down from the stock?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read where they all come with the standard floorplate. The extended mag is an option.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Do they all have that butt ugly mag sticking down from the stock?

You have the option of the hinged floor plate or magazine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tdn
Check out some of the posts on hunttalk.com, the moderator Randy, over there hunted with one this past year and had great things to say about it.

While I have not had one, I have had Howas and Bansner/High Tech stocks and I think this is a winning combo from Howa if they can keep the price under $1k

Just thinking outloud here too, but if they twist their 7mm08 tight enough, there is usually plenty of room in the Howa S/A box to seat the 160/8's out there a ways...

Kind of hard to say anything negative when they are a sponsor and writing you a check.

IC B3

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by tdn

Kind of hard to say anything negative when they are a sponsor and writing you a check.

I agree, but if any host/TV hunter would give you honesty it would be Randy. His is about the only hunting TV I watch - top notch. he posts on here from time to time as well.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here's Randy's highlight for the Shot Show.

http://vimeo.com/115813239

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Below is an excerpt from the email conversation I had with Andy McCormick, President of Legacy Sports in reference to the new Alpine series rifle.

Mr. McCormick,

I just received my 2015 catalog in the mail and I am intrigued by the new Alpine Mountain Series Rifle. On the surface, it is a beautiful rifle, but I have several questions that I hope you can answer before making my decision. Please take the time to provide detailed answers to each individual question.

1. Your catalog lists the the Alpine Mountain Rifle having a #6 contoured barrel; please describe to the best of your ability the type of barrel used for the #6 contour; I assume it's a thin lightweight "mountain contour" barrel or is it a heavy barrel contour? Perhaps there is a misprint in the catalog; judging by the pictures, it is a thin barrel as compared to the Hogue Kryptek Full Dip Package that is equipped with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. Good Catch , It is a # 1 lwt contour � they are changing it now on the website and downloadable catalog .. thanks

2. Is the barrel free floated? YES

3. What type of crown does the barrel have? Same as all of our Howa�s � Standard recessed LWT and Standards.. HVY Barrels are Target Recessed

4. What method was used to install the rifling? Describe how the barrel was manufactured; hammer forged, etc. Drawn process

5. Is the action bedded, if so, how? Pillar Bedded

6. Does the rifle have an integral recoil lug? YES � Monster one J If not, please describe how the recoil lug is assembled into the rifle.

7. Is the barrel threaded into the receiver? YES If not, please describe how the barrel is attached to the receiver.

8. Is the Alpine Mountain Series rifle built on a true short action receiver or is it built on a long action receiver, utilizing a bolt stop similar to the design of the Tikka rifles?
SHORT ACTION � all of our #1 contour calibers are � 223, 204, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7mm-08

9. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger user adjustable? What is the adjustable range? If not, what is the factory trigger pull weight? 3 lbs. from Factory.. can be adjusted to 2.7 lbs .
Without affecting the safety engagements.

10. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger group enclosed? YES

11. Where is the "high tech light weight stock" manufactured? Is it an injection molded stock or is it hand-laid fiberglass, kevlar, etc.? Hand Laid Fiberglass � Mark Banser !

12. Can the bolt assembly be field stripped by the owner? Absolutely !

You won�t be disappointed � We also have it coming in 6.5 Creedmoor in May !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Below is an excerpt from the email conversation I had with Andy McCormick, President of Legacy Sports in reference to the new Alpine series rifle.

Mr. McCormick,

I just received my 2015 catalog in the mail and I am intrigued by the new Alpine Mountain Series Rifle. On the surface, it is a beautiful rifle, but I have several questions that I hope you can answer before making my decision. Please take the time to provide detailed answers to each individual question.

1. Your catalog lists the the Alpine Mountain Rifle having a #6 contoured barrel; please describe to the best of your ability the type of barrel used for the #6 contour; I assume it's a thin lightweight "mountain contour" barrel or is it a heavy barrel contour? Perhaps there is a misprint in the catalog; judging by the pictures, it is a thin barrel as compared to the Hogue Kryptek Full Dip Package that is equipped with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. Good Catch , It is a # 1 lwt contour � they are changing it now on the website and downloadable catalog .. thanks

2. Is the barrel free floated? YES

3. What type of crown does the barrel have? Same as all of our Howa�s � Standard recessed LWT and Standards.. HVY Barrels are Target Recessed

4. What method was used to install the rifling? Describe how the barrel was manufactured; hammer forged, etc. Drawn process

5. Is the action bedded, if so, how? Pillar Bedded

6. Does the rifle have an integral recoil lug? YES � Monster one J If not, please describe how the recoil lug is assembled into the rifle.

7. Is the barrel threaded into the receiver? YES If not, please describe how the barrel is attached to the receiver.

8. Is the Alpine Mountain Series rifle built on a true short action receiver or is it built on a long action receiver, utilizing a bolt stop similar to the design of the Tikka rifles?
SHORT ACTION � all of our #1 contour calibers are � 223, 204, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7mm-08

9. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger user adjustable? What is the adjustable range? If not, what is the factory trigger pull weight? 3 lbs. from Factory.. can be adjusted to 2.7 lbs .
Without affecting the safety engagements.

10. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger group enclosed? YES

11. Where is the "high tech light weight stock" manufactured? Is it an injection molded stock or is it hand-laid fiberglass, kevlar, etc.? Hand Laid Fiberglass � Mark Banser !

12. Can the bolt assembly be field stripped by the owner? Absolutely !

You won�t be disappointed � We also have it coming in 6.5 Creedmoor in May !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tdn
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by tdn

I agree, but if any host/TV hunter would give you honesty it would be Randy. His is about the only hunting TV I watch - top notch. he posts on here from time to time as well.

Last edited by FAIR_CHASE; 01/17/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Um, okay..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, the counter jockey looked at me funny..

.243 weight w/ hangtag.

[Linked Image]

Action is definitely slabbed down more than a regular action.

[Linked Image]

Great feeling little rifle.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rancho! Fairly sure it's the same barreled action they use on the Ranchland, youth, or anything else with the short/skinny barrel. Except for the Cerakote of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6 1/4 lbs.....a little over the advertised 5.7lbs.

Thanks Rancho.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What rifle might one use for comparison in its price and weight range?

Thinking perhaps Browning Stalker or ? Looking for objective pros and cons.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.