Home
Posted By: dennisinaz Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
My bear hunting buddy just bought a couple of Fierce rifles from Sportsman's whorehouse. I scoped it for his last night. Interesting bedding arrangement and a one-off trigger. Was able to set it to about 2#. Had to use Talley bases and rings (which I don't prefer) as there aren't any others that fit it. He is going to shoot it today. I am cautiously optimistic but hopeful that it will shoot.

Anyone have one, played with one?

Posted By: GuyM Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
Never even heard of 'em till your post.

Just checked their website, if it shoots as good as they claim, you've got a winner!

Guy
Posted By: byd Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
How much where they ?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
He went to the range today and shot two different Nosler custom ammo loads; 179 LRs and 160 Accubonds. All four groups were over 3" at 100 yds. Very disappointing outing. Not sure if it is the rifle or the ammo. He is going to buy a box of the ammo that the factory target was shot with and see how it does.
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
What caliber....30-06?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
He went to the range today and shot two different Nosler custom ammo loads; 179 LRs and 160 Accubonds. All four groups were over 3" at 100 yds. Very disappointing outing. Not sure if it is the rifle or the ammo.

I wouldn't own a fkin muzzleloader that shot that poorly.
I seriously doubt its the ammo and I don't know how anyone could make a rifle cheaper than a 770 Remington and I've shot one of those with forelocks into 1.5".
Posted By: bigJ Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
They have accuracy guarantee - take it back.
I was told they use any remington 700 bases, so I'm surprised only talley bases fit.

From their website:
- 1/2", 100-yard, 3-shot guarantee, test target included with every rifle sold
-The Fierce action takes Remington 700 bases.
Posted By: turkish Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
How do such guarantees work? Does that mean any 3 shots will go 0.5 moa? Or just that it will shot A 0.5-moa 3-shot group. It doesn't take anything exotic to luck up and put 3 into 0.5 if it has enough chances. At the same time, it takes a near perfect combination to sit down and do it on-call. Hell, few consumers are capable of that, so it seems like trouble for a vendor to guarantee it.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/29/15
$2,825???
Are you joking?
Jeezeez Harold Christ on a purple pogo stick!!!

Why?
To what ends are you hoping?
What? Coopers to common?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
It is a very nice rifle other than it didn't shoot too good this outing. He bought two of them at SW for $1900. Both are 300 WSM.

I don't know how the guarantee works.

Target supplied was shot with Fed Prem trophy copper.

I tend to agree that shooting that poorly it is probably not the ammo. I don't think he is going to get anywhere with them unless he buys the chosen ammo and shoots it first.

It has a March 3-24x scope on it.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
I think they are a takeoff on Christensen Arms rifles, both made in Utah. Looked at one a couple days ago at Sportsman's in Grand Jct.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Hard to see this rifle going from 3" to 1/2" with a just change of ammo.. maybe a change of shooter or a change of barrel.

Good luck.

G
Posted By: bigJ Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Originally Posted by sheephunter2
I think they are a takeoff on Christensen Arms rifles, both made in Utah. Looked at one a couple days ago at Sportsman's in Grand Jct.

The ones I have handled were all marked "made in Canada"

Again, from their website:

"The rifles are built in Quebec at Fierce Firearms’ state-of-the-art machine shop where holding to tight tolerances is second nature to the company."
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
What's the weight? Some of those are in the 6# range or less.

If it's one those super light rifles, and a hard kicker to boot, you may have your answer.

Those light, big boomers aren't easy to shoot off a bench. They may be 1/2 MOA but getting that degree of performance may be easier said than done.

Or we could just say it was the scope mounting job... laugh

DF
Posted By: ringworm Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
I really do not get it.
Why spend thousands on an unproven rifle with no reputation for accuracy and no company history of excellence.
I know I'm a broken record, but, I buy Steyr for a reason.
Ugly, maybe.
Odd safety?
Works for me.
Quality?
Accuracy?
Duarabilty?
No question
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Originally Posted by ringworm
I really do not get it.
Why spend thousands on an unproven rifle with no reputation for accuracy and no company history of excellence.
I know I'm a broken record, but, I buy Steyr for a reason.
Ugly, maybe.
Odd safety?
Works for me.
Quality?
Accuracy?
Duarabilty?
No question

Freedom....
Posted By: TopCat Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
He went to the range today and shot two different Nosler custom ammo loads; 179 LRs and 160 Accubonds. All four groups were over 3" at 100 yds. Very disappointing outing. Not sure if it is the rifle or the ammo. He is going to buy a box of the ammo that the factory target was shot with and see how it does.

With a rifle in hand that appears well made, (or even not so much), that shot that poorly, I would first swap the scope.

Actually, if I wasn't the designated yanker, (as I often am, or generally accused of such regardless), I'd replace the trigger-yanker first, then the scope.

You know a 300 WSM can have a wee bit of back pressure off the bench in a lighter rifle with them there hot factory loads.

Hell, even a Montana will do better than that...sometimes.

As an aside, every Montana I've had, I acquired because it was a piece of junk that wouldn't shoot groups for crap...

I just live with lower standards than most I guess...
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Of course, A $225 marlin XL7 shoots bug eyes and makes the need for $$$$$$$$ rifles moot, in my eyes.
Website says Gunnison Utah, same town as Christensen? Maybe made up north too who knows.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I'd guess this particular setup to be roughly 8.5-9 lbs.

Rifle - claimed 7 lbs, but Fierce also claims its Ti is a full pound lighter and is advertised at 6.4 lbs
Scope - 22.6 oz
Rings - unknown

One I looked at was a 300 WSM w. a test target claimed to be at 100 yards. 3 shots all touching. Not much on weed burners however.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
One I looked at was a 300 WSM w. a test target claimed to be at 100 yards. 3 shots all touching. Not much on weed burners however.

Baffling to me that a rifle at this price point doesn't give buyers an option in that regard. Can't be that difficult to offer a barrel without the swiss cheese treatment.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15
Originally Posted by TopCat

With a rifle in hand that appears well made, (or even not so much), that shot that poorly, I would first swap the scope.

Actually, if I wasn't the designated yanker, (as I often am, or generally accused of such regardless), I'd replace the trigger-yanker first, then the scope.

You know a 300 WSM can have a wee bit of back pressure off the bench in a lighter rifle with them there hot factory loads.

As an aside, every Montana I've had, I acquired because it was a piece of junk that wouldn't shoot groups for crap...

I pulled the scope off a Kimber that shop great; not sure why he just didn't stick with the Kimber myself.

I am supposed to shoot it in the morning. I has a muzzle brake (not my choice) so recoil should be fine.

I agree that taking a 3" rifle to 1/2" is going to take more than an ammo change. I took it apart and set the trigger to 2# (with Fierce on the phone to make sure they approved). Bedding is unusual but should work. I don't know what the rifle weighs- probably about 6 1/2 # or so.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/30/15

Yeah, it's a cartridge with a lot of accuracy potential. Has done well in 1,000 yard BR competition.

I've got a Model 70 Coyote that, with the right combination of bullet & powder is a doggone tack driver... Other combos, only okay.

Guy
Originally Posted by TopCat

Now that I'm paying attention...that didn't come out right...

What I was trying to say was that every Montana I had, the previous owner said that it wouldn't shoot for crap, but I am not that particular and I can live with a rifle that will shoot under an inch when I am pulling the trigger.

Same sarcasm, but with a slightly different take...
I pulled the scope off a Kimber that shop great; not sure why he just didn't stick with the Kimber myself.

I am supposed to shoot it in the morning. I has a muzzle brake (not my choice) so recoil should be fine.

I agree that taking a 3" rifle to 1/2" is going to take more than an ammo change. I took it apart and set the trigger to 2# (with Fierce on the phone to make sure they approved). Bedding is unusual but should work. I don't know what the rifle weighs- probably about 6 1/2 # or so.

Oh yeah...the Kimber with the March. I remember when you were talking about that rifle last year or two ago.

That's a lot of scope...I may have made a sarcastic comment about it back then...I'm not stalking you really...
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

Rifle - claimed 7 lbs, but Fierce also claims its Ti is a full pound lighter and is advertised at 6.4 lbs
Scope - 22.6 oz
Rings - unknown

Where do you come up with 22.6 oz for scope weight?
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
It is a very nice rifle other than it didn't shoot too good this outing. He bought two of them at SW for $1900. Both are 300 WSM.

$1900 each or total?

Not that it makes much difference to me, just curious. If total, I would still expect an $850 rifle to shoot much better than 3". If each, and I had eliminated various other causes (shooter, scope, etc.) I would be extremely upset. A $1900 rifle ought to come not with just an accuracy guarantee but a customer satisfaction guarantee. (Not that any do.) Further, for $1900 the rifle ought function flawlessly in all aspects and outlast me, my kids and grandkids.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

Scope - 22.6 oz
Rings - unknown

Where do you come up with 22.6 oz for scope weight?

It has a March 3-24x scope on it.

March's spec sheet. I assumed the 42mm objective, so it's possible the scope is heavier if it has a 52mm bell. Did I miss the mark?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Dennis;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the week has treated you folks well so far.

I had a couple threads on these rifles a bit ago as I'd not heard of them until talking with a buddy in the Yukon.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...erce_rifles_-_anyone_handle_#Post9646692

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...erce_rifles_-_anyone_handle_#Post9646496

Anyway while there weren't a ton of folks who've played with them, there were enough problems noted to give me pause personally if I was in the market for something like what appears to be a Sako clone.

Hope that helped you or someone out there this still morning Dennis. All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Interesting.

Kinda makes one wonder if those things are ready for prime time... blush

DF
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Dirt Farmer;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the week has been treating you well and you're ready for a weekend - though if you're still farming I don't recall a whole bunch of weekend when we were still on the land.

As usual I digress however and yes, it makes me wonder the very same thing.

I'd opine too that it's one thing to have say a Ruger American or Mossberg 4x4 not work and another to have a rifle costing exponentially more do the same.

Anyway time will tell I suppose - as it always does.

All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Interesting.

Kinda makes one wonder if those things are ready for prime time... blush

DF

Seems like there must be more and more ex-machinist building rifles these days as so many of them haven't been even heard of before. In all honesty though, if you are a good machinist, there really isn't any big mystery attaching a barrel to a receiver. The only (as far as I know anyway) mysteries (proprietary info...lol) is throat and lead dimensions used by various "gunsmiths".

Posted By: bushrat Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/01/15
Fierce rifles are a sako 85 clone. In fact I don't even think they are a clone but imported sako actions that are cosmetically machined, a different bolt handle, shave the dovetail off the top of the receiver so it can take tactical rails or other common scope mounts. Sako detachable bottom magazine etc etc.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
If one ordered a large enough number, Sako would probably mill to order with round top rather than proprietary bases.

So, Fierce may not have that much action work to do, just screw in a barrel and stick it in a stock.

DF
Posted By: AlbertaTristan Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
Had a hunter on a sheep hunt last year with a brand new Fierce, I believe in 300 wsm. Wouldn't feed reliably, didn't always extract and was denting the hell out of the brass. Wasn't impressive at that price.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
If one ordered a large enough number, Sako would probably mill to order with round top rather than proprietary bases.

So, Fierce may not have that much action work to do, just screw in a barrel and stick it in a stock.

DF

Do you remember the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? Sako actions with a 700 receiver top.

[u][color:#000099]Magnum Research Rifles[/color][/u]
Originally Posted by RDFinn

DF

Do you remember the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? Sako actions with a 700 receiver top.

[u][color:#000099]Magnum Research Rifles[/color][/u]

Yep,

And, IIRC, they were a bunch cheaper than these.

DF
Posted By: bigJ Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
I highly doubt sako is offering to make titanium receivers for these guys, yet not offering their own. That and then there is also this:

http://www.nutechcanada.com/the-company

http://www.nutechcanada.com/news-details/details/2014-01-14/Fierce-Firearms-Fury-Edge
You may be right.

Sako actions generally feed pretty smooth…

DF
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pO_OJr5DHU

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/02/15
They are not Sako 85s, they are similar in some respects I guess. I didn't get to shoot it yet so can't comment other than what my buddy's shooting showed. They use 700 bases but the rear of the loading port is closer to the front screw so the Talley lightweights would encroach on the port. I put the regular Talley's on it.

I haven't ever torn an 85 apart so I can't say if the triggers are the same or not. Never seen one like this myself.

They were $1900 each.

Scope weighs 18 ounces give or take- the 42mm model.

Functioning is not its problem, apparently, accuracy is.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
Lemmee get this straight, the Kimber Ascent wasn't good enough? Did you ever shoot that one?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
You may be right.

Sako actions generally feed pretty smooth…

DF

Its the whole " eject into the scope/mount and bounce back into the action" they failed to account for?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
Hmmm….

Have never handled a Fierce rifle, but from what I'm reading, think I'd pass. There are way too many excellent choices out there for that price point or less.

DF
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
+1 For that loot, I'd get one of the versions of a Nosler that fits your budget.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Lemmee get this straight, the Kimber Ascent wasn't good enough? Did you ever shoot that one?

Nope, never did! Only rifle I shot was his 7-08 and 22-250. He kept letting that retard dope smoker load and sight them in. I did fix the Kimber but I haven't shot it.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
The man's a traveling gun show.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
Verrry interesting... wink
Posted By: Ringman Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
I almost ordered one. Even went so far as to get the FFL from my 'smith. I don't remember why I changed my mind, but I'm glad I did.

A titanium three lug actions sure sounds good, though.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/03/15
Hey, it might be great. Maybe I missed something? If it finally shoots good I will report as such. I thought the gun looked really well put together, the action tight and stock was very nice. I just hope they didn't shoot that test target with another rifle and through it in this box. Not saying they did just makes a guy wonder when it shoots so poorly with $55 box ammo.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/04/15
What interested me about these rifles is they appear to be pretty much a Sako 85 clone with some improvements IMO. A couple buds nearby have finnlights, nice rifles but to me their a lot of money for a rifle with a cheap synthetic stock and I'm no fan of the expensive proprietary mounting systems either. Plus I was interested in the partnership with the Quebec manufacturing plant who's main business is the aerospace industry and evidently they have some of the best CNC gizmos to be found. So I decided to roll the dice and peel out another 5 bills over a finnlight and see what all the fuss is about. I ordered a basic Edge in 7wsm but won't see it for a while yet. Btw the shop that I have ordered it through have set three of them up including load development services and all three have met the 1/2 moa guarantee. I have also read about some others like this thread's sample that don't without some screwing around. Time will tell. ..
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/04/15
Anyone else reminded of Forbes when reading about this thread?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/04/15
Well, early Kimbers were known to be hit and miss. I got one of the culls and eventually installed a Broughton 5C tube and it now shoots great. But, I bought it used such that even with the new barrel, I'm not upside down in equity. I can recoup my investment in this one.

Now sure about that with what those guns are going for. The used prices may be way down from MSRP.

Time will tell...

DF
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/04/15
I am hoping it will work out.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/06/15
Yep.

Keep us in the loop.

DF
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/08/15
OK, I finally got to shoot this rifle today. Shot one shot and it was 5" low. Should have been a clue. I moved it up a couple of mils and shot a 3-shot group- about 1 1/8" or so.

Shot the other ammo and about the same thing. Then I noticed the scope was slipping. I then saw that the rear ring had jumped the base! I really do hate Talley rings. I pulled it off and remounted the scope. I tightened it a little tighter than the torque specs this time. Scope didn't move and I shot one more group with both boxes of ammo; 180 Accubond Nosler trophy grade and 190 ABLR Trophy grade. Both groups had two touching and one out for 1"+ groups. I then noticed that the damn muzzle brake was about to fall off! A disappointing outing. I think if I had started with the scope and locktited the brake on I might have had some decent groups. Now I need to clean the threads and glue that danm brake on. You would think for $1900 they would put the brake on tight enough that a few shots wouldn't dislodge it!

Just is still out on this rifle.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Fierce Rifles - 07/26/18
? Dennis ? smile
© 24hourcampfire