Home
Posted By: shortactionsmoker If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
....was to produce an American Rifle in 22-250 with an 8" twist, how many of you would want one?
Posted By: lastround Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Absolutely would want it. From all the talk on this forum about the 22-250 with an 8" twist, several should be chiming in. Put me down for one.
Posted By: RickBin Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Hell yes!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Aye.
Posted By: sidepass Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Affirmative.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Great idea. I have a Ruger flat bolt 22-250 with 1:8 and it is a great deer killing setup.
Posted By: 16bore Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Come on man, just try it once man, all the cool kids are doing it.....

Oh, 6.5X47 T3 SL. Just to mess with more noggins.
Posted By: Savuti Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'm in.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
No.

Ruger needs to fix that low comb before they get to introducing new cartridge setups. This isn’t 1920, and the American doesn’t come with iron sights. So I see no reason for a Pre 64 Model 70-esque comb height.

Besides, the 223 does everything needed in a 22 caliber with currently available bullets. No sense burning more powder when about all it amounts to is added noise and recoil.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Put me in the hell yes camp. I already have their 1-8" twist 223 and I WANT a 1-8" twist 22/250
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
My wife says yes to, she would like one also. She also says to pay no attention to prairie whatever or Shrapnel if he shows up.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
As long as we don't have to make our own magazines.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I would likely snag one as well.
Posted By: RWE Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'll need a left handed one, but as a human with balls, I would like to see the 8 twist.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
1-14 does all in need from a .22 caliber..
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Nope.

Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Few years ago maybe. Now, not really.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Originally Posted by bobnob17
As long as we don't have to make our own magazines.

You won't need to worry about that with the 22-250...
Posted By: Hutch Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Yep
Posted By: heavywalker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Why not 1:7 or better yet a .243
Posted By: GeoW Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
RickBin liked it so much he got it all sticky!
Posted By: waterbug Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I would be interested.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
In SS?

I'd buy at least one in SS.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Yes, SS...
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'm in too smile
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'd rather have a magazine for their .223's that allow seating of proper bullets!

Mike

Posted By: ExtremeHunter16 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'm in. Might convince me to buy Rugers...
Posted By: ExtremeHunter16 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Count me in for a LH too, if they make that. Mini me would like one.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I'd rather have a magazine for their .223's that allow seating of proper bullets!

Mike

This......and a 22-250 that would do same
Posted By: SamOlson Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
....was to produce an American Rifle in 22-250 with an 8" twist, how many of you would want one?

Darrik, Kimber should make one as well.
Posted By: kecatt Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I think it's a great idea. *flame suit on* I would love to see a 220 Swift also. *flame suit off*
Posted By: Potsy Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
No more than I've shot in the last 6 months it'd be foolish for me to buy one.
Where do I sign up? laugh
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
I'd take one in stainless. Get them to make an 8 twist 243 and I'll take one of those too.

Bb
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/10/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
1-14 does all in need from a .22 caliber..

whistle
Posted By: username Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
I'd snag one. Lefty and stainless would be even better.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Oh heck yes I would. Put me on the list for one.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My wife says yes to, she would like one also. She also says to pay no attention to prairie whatever or Shrapnel if he shows up.

RAR; one of the best ideas that should never have happened. Besides, savage has already locked up the "ugliest gun that shoots" notch in the gun world...
Posted By: mistem Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
I'd be in for one in both 22-250 and 243 in stainless smile

Tikka T3 stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
I would buy one. Ive considered building one, but this would be an cheaper way to do it. I have a bunch of 75 Amaxes, and 62 tsxs.
Posted By: vapodog Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15

I wouldn't be among the buyers.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Originally Posted by vapodog

I wouldn't be among the buyers.

I wouldn't expect you to be.
Posted By: ExtremeHunter16 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Darrik,

How about getting Ruger to build the RAR in 6 Creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM? With Hornady making brass for them, it would be a great option for a factory rifle rather than having to have a custom built...
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter16
Darrik,

How about getting Ruger to build the RAR in 6 Creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM? With Hornady making brass for them, it would be a great option for a factory rifle rather than having to have a custom built...

And are either of them SAAMI?
Posted By: ExtremeHunter16 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Scott,

Forgot about that...

Just a step in the process...
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Darrik,

I agree with that ExtremeHunter guy.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
I own one in 6.5 Creed.... and it's a shootin' SOB. But, I won't buy another one until they get the trigger and stock figured out. Like Billy said, the comb sucks balls. The trigger is serviceable, but it's not conducive to fine accuracy. Swapping those two things will cost you around $250.

I suppose if you wanted a ghetto way to play like the cool kids.... then a RAR .22-250 1-8" would be a good way to get in the game... kinda like the RAR Predator Creed is a great way to get in the Mid/Long range game.

If we were talking Tikkas in a 1-8" .22-250 for $600-$700.... then I'm in for two of them.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I own one in 6.5 Creed.... and it's a shootin' SOB. But, I won't buy another one until they get the trigger and stock figured out. Like Billy said, the comb sucks balls.

If we were talking Tikkas in a 1-8" .22-250 for $600-$700.... then I'm in for two of them.

Dog,

The regular T3 comb is a little low for many people as well. The Varmint Tikkler I had was better. And doesn't the CTR have a similar taco as the Varmint?

A bud took 50-cents worth of plastic, heated, bent, and glued to his T3. Quick and easy cheek taco. Looks really good from the side. Only pic I have is below.

Jason

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Short answer: yes, even though the ol' 788 scrags deer instantly w 55-gr. CLs.

Dream list: threaded & fluted, with the interchangeable stock/combs like the rimfires.

And next run do .223AI 8-twist in T3 SS Compact threaded extry lite. grin

Ultimate Truck/Kid Gun!

ETA: make Tikker a package w a 6x42 LRD & M1 el turret and: Campfire Ultimate!
Posted By: 28lx Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I would buy one. Ive considered building one, but this would be an cheaper way to do it. I have a bunch of 75 Amaxes, and 62 tsxs.

Yep. Me also.
Posted By: deflave Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15

Hawkeye, yes. RAR, no.

Travis
Posted By: fats Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Can I start making Lay-away payments?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Although I have the RAR-P in 22-250 with a 1-10" ROT, I'd probably buy the same rifle with a 1-8" ROT just 'cause.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Nope.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Tikka T3 stainless 260 please.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Nope.

No surprise there either. You couldn't kill a mouse with a 223, much less a deer.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/11/15
Tikka T3 and CTR in 6.5 Creed and 6.5 SAUM.

A guy can dream right? smile
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Isn't this a Ruger question?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Yes, put people for the most part are stupid.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
No, the o.p. has a connection with tikka.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
True, but this is a project I'm trying to get Ruger to take on...

We'll have plenty of Tikka discussions in the near future! The Finn's are a different bunch. They don't like going out of the box, but they do give answers fast. No games with them -- no maybes. You get a "yes" or "no" in short order.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Maybe get with Boyds and have them make a run of stocks for the special Rugers. Might could get them to hog out a little extra wood and shave another 4-8oz off... especially if its only another $75-$100.

If they went:

20-22" Stainless Sporter
Throated and Mag Lengthed to handle 75-80s
Boyd's Prairie Hunter(ish) Stock
Mini-Pic rail like the Predator

And they did it for under $500, I'd order one today

Posted By: trapperJ Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Need a new skiff gun for trapping season, so yes count me in!

Think they could get these out the door before late fall/winter?
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Dog,

The regular T3 comb is a little low for many people as well. The Varmint Tikkler I had was better. And doesn't the CTR have a similar taco as the Varmint?

A bud took 50-cents worth of plastic, heated, bent, and glued to his T3. Quick and easy cheek taco. Looks really good from the side. Only pic I have is below.

Jason

I concur, the Tikka comb is a bit low as well... but generally speaking the stock is superior to the 'merican in both ergos and construction.

The CTR comes with a Taco... but it's in a fixed position and held down by a single screw through the center. I couldn't leave well enough alone... so had a couple wine coolers and pulled it. I put a 3/4" long Round-Head wood screw into the top of the stock half way between the fastener screw and the front of the taco. This allowed me to use the second screw as a height adjustment stop under the front of the cheek piece. The back was allowed to bottom out where it normally does, as there's a pretty steep slope to the comb from the factory. I set the stop where the cheek weld was good, and screwed it back down with the stock fastener screw. Worked great.... until I needed to take the bolt out. A few more spritzers and some Dremel work, and I had the problem licked. Second pic with the bolt released from the action, and free to be removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Heck, since we're talking about Tikkas on a Ruger thread that posed a simple question, why don't we add Remington, Winchester, Savage, Kimber, Mossberg, and all the others?
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Heck, since we're talking about Tikkas on a Ruger thread that posed a simple question, why don't we add Remington, Winchester, Savage, Kimber, Mossberg, and all the others?

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
the o.p. has a connection with tikka.

True

Etc...

My bad on the rambling with J.....
Posted By: ltppowell Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Yes.
Posted By: Darkker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
No, but it wouldn't matter what they did with that Merrican turd.
As far as I'm concerned with Ruger, it's like an episode of "All Things Scottish":
If it's not the 77 action, it's CRAP!!!!
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
I'd take one in SS.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15

Count me in
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Dog,

Jason

I concur, the Tikka comb is a bit low as well... but generally speaking the stock is superior to the 'merican in both ergos and construction.

The CTR comes with a Taco... but it's in a fixed position and held down by a single screw through the center. I couldn't leave well enough alone... so had a couple wine coolers and pulled it. I put a 3/4" long Round-Head wood screw into the top of the stock half way between the fastener screw and the front of the taco. This allowed me to use the second screw as a height adjustment stop under the front of the cheek piece. The back was allowed to bottom out where it normally does, as there's a pretty steep slope to the comb from the factory. I set the stop where the cheek weld was good, and screwed it back down with the stock fastener screw. Worked great.... until I needed to take the bolt out. A few more spritzers and some Dremel work, and I had the problem licked. Second pic with the bolt released from the action, and free to be removed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[u][/u]

And you expect us to pt any credit behind what you say? grin
Nope.... I'm far less than credible....
Posted By: 4th_point Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
My bad on the rambling with J.....

I'm guilty of getting this offtrack so my apologies to SAS, but good info on the CTR stock Dog. And I agree about the T3 stock being of higher quality in every way compared to the RAR.

I think a cheap taco would help the RAR comb height, but the stock stock still feels cheap. I actually prefer the milkjug ergos to the Prairie Hunter, but the plywood can be whittled to suit.

Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Simple answer, yes I would be interested in stainless.

But, they need to either raise the comb or make it interchangeable just like the rimfires.

And a Hawkeye so configured would get my attention much, much quicker.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
Checked out an American today...that stock is dismal. Maybe someone like b&c will make a stock in the future...until then, count me out.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: If Ruger.... - 07/12/15
normally,I would say yes.
but I have a 22-250 with a 1-10 twist barrel that shoots 62 tsx just fine.
and a 223 1-8 that should work fine with 75 amax and others.(haven't shot it enough to know yet)
Im not sure what the trouble is with the comb.mine fits me just fine.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15

SNIP "If we were talking Tikkas in a 1-8" .22-250 for $600-$700.... then I'm in" SNIP.

This.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
To the OP's question, yes I'd be interested in a 1 in 8" .22-250. Especially if it has a long enough magazine and throat to let you take advantage of heavier bullets.

But since we're asking, how about Ruger chambering the .22-250 AI or one of the .22-243 variants, with that same twist and generous OAL's? smile

And I'd like a Ruger #1V so chambered, too, please.

grin
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
To the OP's question, yes I'd be interested in a 1 in 8" .22-250. Especially if it has a long enough magazine and throat to let you take advantage of heavier bullets.

But since we're asking, how about Ruger chambering the .22-250 AI or one of the .22-243 variants, with that same twist and generous OAL's? smile

And I'd like a Ruger #1V so chambered, too, please.

grin

I can't see Ruger ever making a run of rifles chambered for a wildcat cartridge since there would be too much potential liability for a cartridge not factory loaded to SAAMI pressure specs.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Checked out an American today...that stock is dismal. Maybe someone like b&c will make a stock in the future...until then, count me out.

The stocks kinda grow on you. Boyds inlets several different stock styles for the RAR-P. I have two of the Heritage style laminated stocks on my 204 and 223 RAR-Ps.
Posted By: ScottyO Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
I'm all ears also in SS and one in .243...ScottyO.
Posted By: Rogue Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
Too easy to punch a 22-250 to 22-243. Run it in a 308 mag and have at it.

I like 22-250 better myself.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: If Ruger.... - 07/13/15
Yes, sounds good to me.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/14/15
I'm happy with a .223 or .204 over the .22-250 so I wouldn't be interested. Now offer an 8 twist .243 and I'd be all over it!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: If Ruger.... - 07/14/15
Ruger semi-auto 44 mag or 308 in stainless. Need a good brush/pig rifle.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: If Ruger.... - 07/14/15
I have a left hand .22-250 RAR with the 1 in 10 twist.

My solution was to clamp the muzzle in a stationary vise then put a barrel wrench on the breech end. Two turns counter-clockwise and voila, a 1 in 8 twist! As a plus, you get some nice faux flutes in the barrel...
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/14/15
Yes I want one...preferably stainless.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: If Ruger.... - 07/16/15
Want one!

Bob
Posted By: pacecars Re: If Ruger.... - 07/16/15
I am in. The Predator version would be nice
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If Ruger.... - 07/16/15
Whish they would start selling the RAR with a heavy barrel
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/16/15
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Nope.

No surprise there either. You couldn't kill a mouse with a 223, much less a deer.

Dang, you got me figured out. A-hole.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: If Ruger.... - 07/17/15
Why ever would I buy a Ruger?

Easier to screw a new .22-250 Remington or Ackley custom made barrel on one of my Savage or Remington 700's with the barrel nut. Particularly like the Super match stainless steel Pac-Nor polygonal rifled barrels in 1:9" or 1:8" twist, although I usually match the twist to the bullet I'll be using via a twist calculator.

Factory rifles are such - well, compromises.

Splattering varmints since 1966.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/17/15
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

Easier to screw a new .22-250 Remington or Ackley custom made barrel on one of my Savage or Remington 700's with the barrel nut. Particularly like the Super match stainless steel Pac-Nor polygonal rifled barrels in 1:9" or 1:8" twist, although I usually match the twist to the bullet I'll be using via a twist calculator.

Well since Darrick is talking about a rifle with a barrel nut, why couldn't you do the same thing with a Ruger? The whole American rifle can be had for less money than a custom pre-fit from some cases. Plus the way most of them have been shooting you're not compromising much.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 07/17/15
Originally Posted by heavywalker

How about a 7.7" twist in the 243???
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/17/15
I'd be more into the '250 than the 243, but I can see this costing me a bunch of money.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: If Ruger.... - 07/17/15
Originally Posted by heavywalker

How about a 7.7" twist in the 243???

As long as it's fast enough to run 105 grain VLD bullets reliably I'm in!

Actually I'm out! At 11 lbs naked, BTDT ain't going back. I'll wait until they offer it in the Predator model with that twist. I'm more looking 9 lbs max all up.
Posted By: fats Re: If Ruger.... - 07/18/15
That RAR predator .243 with a 7.7 twist at 24-26"heavy barrel would be nice too. I don't mind buying a Boyd's laminate.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: If Ruger.... - 07/20/15
Yep! 22/250 in SS with 1/8" twisted, medium weight barrel. I don't mind buying a stock from Boyd's.

Truthfully tho, I'd rather have an RAR Predator in 22 Hornet!!!! grin grin grin

Posted By: Desertrat Re: If Ruger.... - 07/25/15
Heck ya!!! A true varmint hunter!
Posted By: TexasRick Re: If Ruger.... - 07/26/15
I wouldn't buy a Ruger American on a bet. I can't stand plastic stocks or detatchable magazines. I like blued steel and polishing.....not something that looks like it came from a rattle-can. The tang safety is certainly no improvement over Ruger's wing safety.

I love Ruger products and Bill Ruger has made very few mistakes over the years, but I feel this is a big mistake. In an attempt to capture the "cheap" market Ruger has gone too far. This gun will decrease the reputation that Ruger spent decades building. Maybe good for someone else, but not for me.
Posted By: simplyme Re: If Ruger.... - 07/26/15
I would like to see one in 35 Remington
Posted By: WiFowler Re: If Ruger.... - 07/26/15
Originally Posted by simplyme
I would like to see one in 35 Remington

Please tell us your not holding your breathe . . . . .
Posted By: WiFowler Re: If Ruger.... - 07/26/15

American Rifle - no; on the new Precision Rifle platform - yes.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/27/15

Count me out. I already have a tack-driving Ruger MKII .22-250, albeit with the slower 1-14 twist. Also a very accurate MKII in .223.

If those two can't do the job, I've got plenty of rifles that will.

Lately I've been thinking I've reached a saturation point where I have quite a few rifles, like what I have and simply don't have any desire or need for any more. (Or at least not many more, and I'm going to be more picky than normal on any more additions.)
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: If Ruger.... - 07/27/15
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

Compromises or not, there are a lot of very good factory rifles available, both new and used. My safe contains a mix of about 50/50 each, along with one custom and one semi-custom.

The custom rifle, a 6.5-06AI on an Interarms Mauser action, was built with 1200-yard shooting in mind, from a rest. So far it has never been shot at ranges over 600 but it slays clay pigeons at that range very effectively. The semi-custom started as a naked Ruger MKII action, got a Ruger take-off barrel in .338WM, and a Ruger semi-skeletonized 'boat paddle' stock. The original owner had chopped and fluted the barrel. Those are easily the two most expensive rifles in the safe and by a wide margin.

Now the 'compromises'. A Remington M700, some Marlin levers, a Browing B92 carbine and a bunch of Rugers. Calibers from .223 to .458. All accurate, some are very accurate. And there isn't one I want to sell or trade so I can spend more on another custom. Low-cost functionality with good looks is a good compromise in my book.

Posted By: beretzs Re: If Ruger.... - 07/31/15
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hell yes!

Same here! In a heartbeat!
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If Ruger.... - 07/31/15
Ruger will need to step up to be the first to offer a big bore African cartridge in a inexpensive rifle

.375 and .416 Ruger chambered in the American rifle

They could call it the .Ruger Afro-American Rifle

All black of course
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
I don't have an answer yet, but I expect to hear something from my rep after he returns from vacation.

Since this thread is a sticky in the Hunting Rifles Forum, I'd say keep it going to tell Ruger what we're looking for in a hunting rifle.

The stainless Hawkeye's are discontinued. Obviously, something is on the horizon. This would be the perfect place and opportunity for them to take our ideas and meld them into something we're all looking for. If they get it right, they'll sell a ton. If not, it will just be another rifle on the shelf.

Ideas?
And I'll even throw some ideas out....

What about an upgraded version of the American? Real bottom metal and metal bolt shroud. A nice stock....keep the V-Block bedding, but incorporate that into a fiberglass stock with a higher comb. Not something chunky like the B&C, something slim with the ergo's of the Kimber Montana. Ditch the bladed trigger on this version. Go Timney from the factory. A nicer finish on the metal too. Not some funky gray on the stainless version either. I'm thinking of a true bead blasted stainless.

They could also take some of the features of the American and incorporate those ideas into the Hawkeye line. Keep the current LC6 Trigger and the CRF bolt design. Ditch the Ruger rings and go round on the top. Ditch the angled action screw too. Use the same V-Block deign from the American line. A fiberglass stock with a higher comb would be nice. This could be sold in two versions - blind mag box or bottom metal. The could float the barrel instead of the bumps.

They already have the budget end covered with the American series. The upgraded American would need a real shelf price of $700 or less. The hybrid Hawkeye could be in the $1000 range on the shelf.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
The 2 things I'd change on the Hawkeye are the angled screw and ONE PIECE BOTTOM METAL.

And if I had to pick one, it would be doing away with the 2 piece bottom metal
And they need to be twisted right with mag box room for high BC bullets...
Posted By: Savuti Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
How about the American CFs with the changeable butt stock modules like the rimfires?
And they need to be twisted right with mag box room for high BC bullets...

Naturally.
Posted By: deflave Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
I don't have an answer yet, but I expect to hear something from my rep after he returns from vacation.

Since this thread is a sticky in the Hunting Rifles Forum, I'd say keep it going to tell Ruger what we're looking for in a hunting rifle.

The stainless Hawkeye's are discontinued. Obviously, something is on the horizon. This would be the perfect place and opportunity for them to take our ideas and meld them into something we're all looking for. If they get it right, they'll sell a ton. If not, it will just be another rifle on the shelf.

Ideas?

All I want them to do is take one of their 1-9" or 1-8" .224 barrels, chamber it in a 22-250, and thread it onto a Hawkeye.

I have drunk e-mailed this advice to them but they never acknowledge that they're going to do what I told them to do.

Travis

Posted By: prairie_goat Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
I think the current scope mounts on the Hawkeyes are one of the best systems going. It would be a shame to make those rifles less heavy duty, which is just what would happen by adding additional screws to come loose.

As is, a guy can carry a previousy sighted-in backup scope with rings in his pack, and swap the scopes to be back in the hunt with 4 twists of a screwdriver.

The only benefit I see to a regular mount setup is to take advantage of the sloped LR bases, and since there are plenty of scopes out there these days with the built-in travel to get a guy way out there it would hardly be an advantage. Plus, extreme LR shooters aren't buying many sporter weight, controlled round feed rifles anyway.
The major changes I would like to see on the Hawkeye are better twist rates, and fix the damned safety so a guy can actually disengage it while wearing gloves!

Something like what Phil Shoemaker did here:

[Linked Image]

Also a Kimber Montana-esque stock, while I'm dreaming.
Posted By: fats Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
Ruger really is taking the market by storm. I love how they're asking for suggestions, coming up with new rifles.
I have been thinking for the last week or so about buying another Predator, filling the stock with Rockite and adding a Timney. I just like the options the American has when it comes to scope rings. Maybe I'm flawed in my thinking?
Yeah, I've always like Ruger scope mount system. Simple and rugged.
If Ruger tweaked a few things on the Hawkeye and set them in a better stock, they may be able to market it towards the "hardcore hunter" crowd as the most heavy duty rifle on the market today. Take away some of the higher end hunting rifle market, since the American seems to be doing well in the entry level market.

Remember the ads Leupold put out in the early 90's or thereabouts of hardcore deeds done with their scopes? IIRC one was a tale from an Alaska guide of losing his rifle in the surf for a year; when found the rifle was rusted beyond recovery (Pre 64, I believe), but the scope was still good? Anyway, Ruger could market the Hawkeye in just such a way. Make people think "The toughest dudes on the planet hunt with a Hawkeye, so I want one".
But of course that would necessitate bringing back the Stainless Synthetic version. Just leave off the retarded muzzle brake of the Guide Gun. The brake really isn't necessary, even for shooting icebergs.
Posted By: deflave Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
I think the Hawkeye has a lot to offer as well. They won't make it a lightweight but with places like Lipseys and others out there, I'd think a fast twist 22-250 would be easy, and sell like the .44 Special Flattop they refused to make all those years.

A distributor exclusive in a McMillan would probably sell like a mofo too. I would suspect anyway.

Travis
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
Why don't you put the fast-twist and McMillan ideas together and drunk email them to Lipseys as the .22/250 Prong Goat Special or Texas Skinny Deer Express or the like?
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the Hawkeye has a lot to offer as well. They won't make it a lightweight but with places like Lipseys and others out there, I'd think a fast twist 22-250 would be easy, and sell like the .44 Special Flattop they refused to make all those years.

A distributor exclusive in a McMillan would probably sell like a mofo too. I would suspect anyway.

Travis

If a nice light stock was readily available (think Edge or Manners EH), the Hawkeye could be made into a lightweight. For example, I have a Ruger 77 7mm-08 with a Win Featherweight contour barrel, which should go sub-8 lbs. scoped, suppressed, slung and loaded, once it arrives back from MG Arms.

Light stock and go easy on the barrel shank length is about all that’s needed. Some lighter rings would help, as well.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
Or.....offer just barrels
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
And in .375 Ruger
Billy made some great points. I don't dislike their ring system as is. I was just thinking of weight. The Hawkeye is virtually bomb proof and one of my favorites. Case and point -- I brought a stainless 270 home today. Thought I better grab it before they were gone. I mounted a 6x42 with dots and am ready to start stacking game.
Posted By: noKnees Re: If Ruger.... - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

If a nice light stock was readily available (think Edge or Manners EH), the Hawkeye could be made into a lightweight. For example, I have a Ruger 77 7mm-08 with a Win Featherweight contour barrel, which should go sub-8 lbs. scoped, suppressed, slung and loaded, once it arrives back from MG Arms.

Light stock and go easy on the barrel shank length is about all that’s needed. Some lighter rings would help, as well.

Not cool on the campfire but MPI makes a LW for the Ruger. I have a 358 win thats near 6lb.
Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: If Ruger.... - 08/06/15
Well, then. It's unanimous...... laugh
Posted By: efw Re: If Ruger.... - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hell yes!

+1
Posted By: akmtnrunner Re: If Ruger.... - 08/09/15
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Ruger will need to step up to be the first to offer a big bore African cartridge in a inexpensive rifle

.375 and .416 Ruger chambered in the American rifle

They could call it the .Ruger Afro-American Rifle

All black of course

They already were, years before Howa, Savage, and Mossberg picked up the Ruger cartridges with the Hawkeye. Picked mine up for $650. IMHO, the American wouldn't be enough gun to support that much powder ignition. 338-06, 338 RCM, 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62, now you're onto something.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: If Ruger.... - 08/09/15

Ideas?

I'm all for a newer version of the 77/Hawkeye for hard use. Or a "premium" version of the RAR.

1. Twist and mag length set with handloaders in mind. Factory ammo users should not be affected. This would be my number one request.

2. Retain the proprietary rings, or go integrated rail. I'd prefer an integrated & extended 1913 with built-in incline but realize many would not take advantage of the incline. I'd still take a 0-degree extended rail that was machined or cast into the receiver. Extended rail would provide flexible scope mounting options but a closed top receiver could be an issue with top loading unless the port was sized properly.

3. Retain the one-piece bolt, or mechanically fixed handle but not brazed.

4. Fix the safety wing as mentioned earlier by extending the wing. The tang safety is fine for the RAR.

5. Consider shooter safety in the event of a blown primer or ruptured case. Vents, baffles, c-collar, etc. Perhaps just a better baffle at the rear of the 77 bolt? The current RAR seems pretty good as-is with fat bolt.

6. If allowed to nitpick, how about a fixed ejector if retaining CRF?

7. Design must have a robust bolt stop.

8. Keep the relatively open trigger which is easy to adjust. And make it compatible with the current Hawkeye so people can buy a Timney or other aftermarket trigger if they choose.

9. V-blocks would be fine. Floorplate with option for blind mag. But changes to the underside of the action would force aftermarket stock manufacturers to change their inlets. Not sure if this is a good idea. I really don't have a problem with a flat bottom receiver, angled screw, or 2-pc metal but I might be missing something.

10. I'd prefer a stock with stiff fore-end and floated barrel. And I have come to like the open grip on the Kimbers with overall ergos that are tough to beat in my opinion.

11. How about a little research/testing in terms of lock time? And I like the ability to quickly disassemble the bolt but this is not an absolute must.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: If Ruger.... - 08/09/15
Forgot one...

12. Gotta be available in stainless!
Posted By: fats Re: If Ruger.... - 08/10/15
Any updates???? Thanks!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: If Ruger.... - 08/10/15
To update the Hawkeye, they can start by offering the "new" synthetic stock for the whole line that they just introduced on the Gunsite Scout rifle.

And a lighter (aluminum?) ring set would go a long way.
Posted By: Torque Re: If Ruger.... - 08/26/15
Not a chance. Ruger will never get another penny of my money after the 7x57 Ruger #1 fiasco I went through with them. Terrible customer service trying to tell me that 3.5" groups at 100 yards was within their engineering specs for their flagship rifle. Ruger can suck it.
Posted By: 35 Re: If Ruger.... - 08/26/15
1-Keep the Ruger M77/Hawkeye Scope Rings.
2-Bring back the M77 MKII stainless steel finish.
3-Or better yet the Matte stainless finish on their SR1911 !!!
4-Bring back the Ultra Lights!!
5-Bring back the RSI`s!!
6-Put a proper safety on it, as in a top tang safety.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: If Ruger.... - 09/01/15
Billy made some great points. I don't dislike their ring system as is. I was just thinking of weight. The Hawkeye is virtually bomb proof and one of my favorites. Case and point -- I brought a stainless 270 home today. Thought I better grab it before they were gone. I mounted a 6x42 with dots and am ready to start stacking game.

I brought their laminated Hawkeye home yesterday in .270Win.. Have a black Hawkeye stock enroute. As an aside, a Ruger African purchased last month in 300WM has been very accurate - with both the walnut original and a Hawkeye stock.
I would suspect the RAR will impact Tikka sales.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: If Ruger.... - 09/06/15

Darrik,

Any update on this splendid idea?

My grandson is almost 3 mos. old and has had his TN Lifetime Sportsman's License for more than a month. Need to have his 1st big game rifle ready to go by Juvie Hunt in 2014. grin

Thank you,

P.S. A compact stock and threaded barrel would still be a blessing.

Posted By: johnw Re: If Ruger.... - 09/16/15

Remember the ads Leupold put out in the early 90's or thereabouts of hardcore deeds done with their scopes? IIRC one was a tale from an Alaska guide of losing his rifle in the surf for a year; when found the rifle was rusted beyond recovery (Pre 64, I believe), but the scope was still good? Anyway, Ruger could market the Hawkeye in just such a way. Make people think "The toughest dudes on the planet hunt with a Hawkeye, so I want one".

Guys been using them for tomato stakes and anchors for years...
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: If Ruger.... - 09/16/15
Uhhhh. Just looked at my post just above and saw I wrote 2014 rather than 2020 for some dang reason. Mason will be five that year...
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: If Ruger.... - 09/17/15
Haven't messed with a RAR trigger yet, but until the stock and magazine get some fit and finish that don't make the whole thing look and feel like it should have cost $69.97 at Harbor Freight, I'm out.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: If Ruger.... - 09/21/15
No.

Ruger needs to fix that low comb before they get to introducing new cartridge setups. This isn’t 1920, and the American doesn’t come with iron sights. So I see no reason for a Pre 64 Model 70-esque comb height.

Besides, the 223 does everything needed in a 22 caliber with currently available bullets. No sense burning more powder when about all it amounts to is added noise and recoil.
It fits me perfectly. I have a long neck and need high rings on most rifles. I can use standard rings on my American 30-06.
Posted By: Nrut Re: If Ruger.... - 09/23/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
No.

It fits me perfectly. I have a long neck and need high rings on most rifles. I can use standard rings on my American 30-06.

Same here on the RAR stock drop..
Fits better than most rifles I own..
I need med. to high rings on my two Montana's (a stock that everyone seems to love) to make them work..
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: If Ruger.... - 09/23/15
Any updates?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: If Ruger.... - 09/28/15
I don't know about the RAR short actions, but the long actions have a magazine problem. They don't feed reliably. I have problems with 30-06 rounds sticking and not moving up to chambering position all the time. It's apparently a common problem. I watched a youtube video of a guy who ordered about 6 new mags from Ruger. He loaded them up and pushed the rounds out with his finger. 4 of the 6 mags would hang up. Usually a sharp hit on the side of the stock will knock them loose but that's not anything I want to do while hunting.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: If Ruger.... - 09/28/15
I built this 1-7" twist with heavy barrel! Shoots the 90 gr. Sierra extremely well out to 1000 yards! Don't care for Ruger!!

[Linked Image]coydog by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
Posted By: Nrut Re: If Ruger.... - 09/29/15
Rock Chuck,
I have the same problem with the 3rd rd. down sticking in my .243 RAR..
So yes some of the SA RAR suffer from the same problem as your LA 30-06 does..
Ruger really [bleep] ed the goat on their DM's as I have had to mod all but one out of 7 Americans to make them feed properly..
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: If Ruger.... - 10/03/15
Nrut,

Can you elaborate on your magazine mod?

My .308 Predator has not bobbled once… But when I fire my rifle (suppressed) I can sometimes hear the next round rotating into position (due to recoil I presume), which I find disconcerting.

SAS,

I would buy a Ruger American fast twist 22-250. Preferably stainless and threaded (predator barrel profile).

Thanks,

Jerry
Posted By: Nrut Re: If Ruger.... - 10/03/15
Jerry,
The mag. mods I made were on opening the feeding lips as per SAS tutorial..

Was working on the 3rd round hang up in the .243 by depressing the mag. follower and slowly filing away on the inside of the mag. body..

A friends wife is using the rifle now as a two shooter for the hunting season, before I could make the fix..

I will continue working on the mag. after the season is over..
Posted By: nimrodtracy Re: If Ruger.... - 11/06/15
for me a 243 does all and more than a 22-250 with a 8 twist, but if your a 22-250 nut a 8 twist is more versatile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: If Ruger.... - 11/18/15
One of my partners and I both have American 30-06's. Now that I've finished a season with it, I can see another problem that we both have. The safety is just off and on. There is no 3d setting that locks the bolt shut like on many other rifles. When carrying it at sling, sometimes the bolt will hook on a pack strap or something and open. The bolt is very loose in the receiver and it will slide back and lose a cartridge.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: If Ruger.... - 11/25/15
And I'll even throw some ideas out....

What about an upgraded version of the American? Real bottom metal and metal bolt shroud. A nice stock....keep the V-Block bedding, but incorporate that into a fiberglass stock with a higher comb. Not something chunky like the B&C, something slim with the ergo's of the Kimber Montana. Ditch the bladed trigger on this version. Go Timney from the factory. A nicer finish on the metal too. Not some funky gray on the stainless version either. I'm thinking of a true bead blasted stainless.

They could also take some of the features of the American and incorporate those ideas into the Hawkeye line. Keep the current LC6 Trigger and the CRF bolt design. Ditch the Ruger rings and go round on the top. Ditch the angled action screw too. Use the same V-Block deign from the American line. A fiberglass stock with a higher comb would be nice. This could be sold in two versions - blind mag box or bottom metal. The could float the barrel instead of the bumps.

They already have the budget end covered with the American series. The upgraded American would need a real shelf price of $700 or less. The hybrid Hawkeye could be in the $1000 range on the shelf.

Just saw this. Yes two both.

David
Posted By: DrDeath Re: If Ruger.... - 11/26/15
Reason for the slower twist in a 22-250?

What's the heaviest bullet formthen22/250 ?
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: If Ruger.... - 11/26/15
A fast twist allows use of heavier bullets. Still flat shooting, but more energy to the target and often, deeper penetration.
Posted By: canonman Re: If Ruger.... - 11/26/15
No , but one in a Swift would be what I'd like
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: If Ruger.... - 12/02/15
I'd like to see a them offer the synthetic Scout stock for sale. I have the heavier laminate.

Called Ruger today and I may not have long to wait - sometime after the first of the year, exact date and price unknown.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: If Ruger.... - 12/05/15
Know we're drifting, but like the idea of turning my TG Frontier .358 into a 5-10 shooter.

Did just request the Ruger top dog to spin all .22 CFs 1-8 among other things...
Posted By: woofer Re: If Ruger.... - 01/17/16
Yes.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 01/22/16
Spoke with Ruger at SHOT....this is going to happen! A few details to work through and I don't know when any will be available, but it's coming.

It's my understanding that this will be an exclusive run for the shop. More details to follow...
Posted By: Dude270 Re: If Ruger.... - 01/22/16
fantastic! I hope we are talking the All Weather model. Either way I want one. Way to go Darrik!
Posted By: Savuti Re: If Ruger.... - 01/24/16
Thank you Darrik!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: If Ruger.... - 01/24/16
How much?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: If Ruger.... - 01/24/16
No clue yet, but it is a Ruger American. It won't be expensive.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 01/24/16
You KNOW I WANT ONE.
Posted By: Lonny Re: If Ruger.... - 01/24/16
Sounds great SAS.

Would this special run be the 1-8" only or would it be the improved comb height on the stock, bottom metal, etc...
Posted By: bruinruin Re: If Ruger.... - 01/27/16
Spoke with Ruger at SHOT....this is going to happen! A few details to work through and I don't know when any will be available, but it's coming.

It's my understanding that this will be an exclusive run for the shop. More details to follow...

Sorry for having to ask, there have been a lot of things discussed here. What, exactly is going to happen? The 8" twisted 22-250?
Posted By: RWE Re: If Ruger.... - 01/27/16
What about the magazines?

Can we put some oolong bullets in our fast twist 223? Past models and future models?
Posted By: Rug3 Re: If Ruger.... - 01/27/16
Yep, I sure would go for one.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: If Ruger.... - 02/14/16
a left hand 300 blkout ranch please
Posted By: Nrut Re: If Ruger.... - 02/14/16
How about a 6mm Creed 1:7.7 like their RPR..

And a .22 Creed 1:8 or faster and mag. length/throat set up for a kiss..

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10864894/1
Posted By: Rolltide Re: If Ruger.... - 02/15/16
I'd be happy if Ruger or someone else would offer an extended magazine for RAR's. A 10 round mag for any of the models, but especially the .223 would be a winner...
Posted By: NorthGaAire Re: If Ruger.... - 02/17/16
Ruger American in .35 Whelen

Factory laminate stock for the American.
Posted By: hookeye Re: If Ruger.... - 02/23/16
Ruger needs to do a 1A in .44 magnum.
Ruger also needs to do a stainless 10/22 with black synth stock in fingergroove w checkering (would have been the perfect anniv rifle).
Posted By: birdwacker Re: If Ruger.... - 03/03/16
I would like Ruger to build a 1892 in .357, 45colt, 44 mag, 480 ruger,and 454 casull with decent peep sights.
Posted By: MikeJinVT Re: If Ruger.... - 03/03/16
How about an American Ranch in 6.8? While we are throwing out wishes.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: If Ruger.... - 03/16/16
The Ruger American series...I just don't understand the appeal.

The rifles I have handled appear cheaply made, poorly fitted, and slapped together. Ruger is not the only manufacturer guilty of jumping on the synthetic bandwagon and ending up with crap. Remington 710/ 783 are some of the ugliest rifles around. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Posted By: Potsy Re: If Ruger.... - 03/17/16
I have to disagree.

I fired my first one (a .223 Ranch Rifle) about two weeks ago. It went bang every time, fed every time (even though loading the mags is a PITA), and we couldn't seem to make it shoot a 3 round group greater than 1.5", whether it was cheap 20 year old American Eagle or handloads worked up for AR's.

Having never needed to shoot a coyote more than three times, we didn't bother with 5 round groups.
Three lug design with a short throw and tang safety are features I'm pretty used to, I typically hunt with either a #1 or an A-Bolt.

Trigger had the blade I'm not wild about and was a bit squishy but manageable. The trigger is certainly workable or replaceable via Timney.

The stock is "cheap", but not as flimsy as the earlier models I have felt. It certainly didn't feel terrible when I threw it up. It's not a Manners with a Mini-Chassis and AI mags, but the aftermarket is hurrying to catch up. Look at MDT.

I'm thinking come fall I'll have to have a Predator model in 6.5 Creed and get the barrel chopped back to 17" and fitted for a TOMB brake for my incoming SAS can.

Utilitarian, economical, handy, but I can't hardly say cheap. Purty is as purty does.

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: If Ruger.... - 03/22/16
Blind Mag or hinged floorplate. Heavy barrel version with no longer than a 24" pipe. 6.5 Creed in something besides Predator.
Posted By: Topstock Re: If Ruger.... - 04/21/16
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Or.....offer just barrels

Exactly!! I have the Ruger Predator 1 in 8 twist .223 with 16 1/2" barrel. Contacted Ruger about buying a 22-250 barrel and no dice. They won't sell a bolt separately either. The bolt face on the .223 could probably just be opened up though. I shoot Hornady 75 grain Amaxes in mine. Freebore was perfect from the factory, but the mag took some work. I now can feed from the mag at .010" off the lands. That equals an OAL of 2.554". It shoots decent to 300 yards. I have never shot it beyond that. I'm using 8208XBR powder and getting 2530 fps with a safe load. Have a Leupold VXR 3-9 X 50 with the LRV illuminated reticle. Just happened to work out with the top dot sighted @ 100 it gives me the middle dot for 200 and the lower dot for 300.
Posted By: davet Re: If Ruger.... - 04/25/16
What did you do to the magazine to get it opened up to 2.55" COAL?
Posted By: Topstock Re: If Ruger.... - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by davet
What did you do to the magazine to get it opened up to 2.55" COAL?

I was reading another thread here and see that someone is doing basically what I've done to feed the 75 gr. amaxes in the Ruger Predator .223's. I have a guy that milled mine out on a CNC. The first one would not feed the final cartridge in the mag. What happens is that the rear of the cartridge drops down just enough that the bolt won't pick it up. I don't find that an issue for me. Basically with 5 rounds in the mag, you can use the first 4. In a bolt action hunting rifle that isn't much of a handicap. I altered the follower on my second one and and now the rear of the cartridge stays up so as for the bolt to grab hold but it doesn't always make it into the chamber. I may or may not be able to solve that without a redesigned follower. if enough guys are interested I think the guy would set up and make these, just know that I don't totally have the bugs worked out of the final round in the chamber. If there is interest for 25 or more, I'll contact him to see how many $$. Like many have previously stated, it makes no sense for Ruger to sell the 1 in 8 twist rifle and then offer a mag that will not accommodate the heavy bullets. They even got the freebore correct in the chamber for heavies.
Posted By: Bugger Re: If Ruger.... - 05/12/16
Would design a stock for hard recoiling rifles rather than sticking to a design for mild kicking rifles... If only.
Posted By: dale06 Re: If Ruger.... - 05/15/16
I swore off Ruger long guns years ago. I wouldn't consider buying one. I had multiple model 77s and #1s and had plenty problems and accuracy issues. If they work for you, have at em.
Posted By: Bugger Re: If Ruger.... - 06/18/16
I'm selling my red pad 7mm RM. I. WONT BUY ANOTHER RUGER RIFLE UNTIL THEY FIGURE OUT THEIR STOCK DESIGN SUCKS A BIG ONE!
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: If Ruger.... - 09/12/16
I'd like to see a rotary magazine carbine in 44 Bain & Davis. All Ruger would have to do is screw a .357 barrel on a .44 carbine, ream the chamber and sell a handy little .22 size carbine with 30/30 punch.
Posted By: Robert_White Re: If Ruger.... - 09/19/16
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

The rifles I have handled appear cheaply made, poorly fitted, and slapped together. Ruger is not the only manufacturer guilty of jumping on the synthetic bandwagon and ending up with crap. Remington 710/ 783 are some of the ugliest rifles around. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I am more or less on the same page.

I sure do like the Hawkeye models. Sad to hear they are going away.
Posted By: jimone Re: If Ruger.... - 09/27/16
SP101, 4" in 41 Special

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/41-Special/index.cfm
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: If Ruger.... - 09/27/16
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

I am more or less on the same page.

I sure do like the Hawkeye models. Sad to hear they are going away.

Not the Hawkeyes, just the rotary-mag 77/whatevers, and they're only suspended for now.

Given the trend, however, I'd be inclined to get anything I really wanted before they changed the lineup again.
Posted By: livefastjohnny Re: If Ruger.... - 10/02/16
1. Would love to see them reintroduce a Hawkeye synthetic stock that does not instantly cant about 20 degrees in my hands.

2. Although they have served well, the Ruger rings are probably outdated at this point. Whether needed or not, buyers now want pic rails, precision rings and 30mm diameters without having to wait or pay exorbitant amounts.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: If Ruger.... - 10/22/16

Since it's been 16 mos. since this was posted I suppose this special run won't happen.

If it's still possible, I once more submit an 8-twist, threaded Compact Stainless in .22/250, .243 or .223 would be Ultimate 24hrCF Ute/Truck Gun! grin
Posted By: Gatogrizz27 Re: If Ruger.... - 10/24/16
It might tempt me into buying my first Ruger. As the "race to the bottom" of sub-$300 rifles has ramped up, manufacturers need to do something to make their rifle worth buying over their competitors, besides saving the cost of a lunch.

Ruger would be the one to do it over other brands, as they are willing to test market trends and innovate where other companies won't.

I shoot Weatherby's, so I don't know about the comb issue, but I am surprised that more companies don't build their products to accept proprietary accessories. Mold a couple of aluminum 1/4"x20 inserts into the side of the factory stock and sell it with plastic plugs in them. Sell a Ruger adjustable comb for $30 that can be bolted right on with zero gunsmithing.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: If Ruger.... - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
...If it's still possible, I once more submit an 8-twist, threaded Compact Stainless in .22/250, .243 or .223 would be Ultimate 24hrCF Ute/Truck Gun! grin

The .223/5.56 version exists now. It's called the Ruger American Ranch Rifle. 16.1" stiff barrel, threaded, with 1:8 twist.
The barrel is marked "5.56", but rumor has it there's a Wylde chamber hiding in there.
All I know is mine is a very accurate little rifle. I found a load with 64gr bonded BTSP over 24.5gr of Varget that will shoot under 1/2" @ 100yds all day as long as the nut behind the scope does his part.

[Linked Image]

Mine lives on my tractor when I'm out on my ranch and propped up by the door when I'm home. grin

Ed
Posted By: LJB3 Re: If Ruger.... - 10/26/16
I vote for a Ruger Guide Gun in .35 Whelen smile
Posted By: centershot Re: If Ruger.... - 11/14/16
No thanks - could not be less interested in a rifle than the Ruger Americans. I hate lawyer triggers. You can buy a Rem. 700 ADL for the same price, I'd much rather have that.
Posted By: Beaudry Re: If Ruger.... - 11/21/16
8 twist 22-250 would be nice
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny Re: If Ruger.... - 01/02/17
Originally Posted by LJB3
I vote for a Ruger Guide Gun in .35 Whelen smile

Me too
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: If Ruger.... - 01/04/17
Hawkeye Predator in 243 Winny.
Posted By: shootem Re: If Ruger.... - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
No.

Same here on the RAR stock drop..
Fits better than most rifles I own..
I need med. to high rings on my two Montana's (a stock that everyone seems to love) to make them work..

Yeah, the modern straight comb wonder stock don't work for me either. Kimber 84 I have to twist my head sideways to look down the barrel. On the other hand the old school Weatherby Mark V feels good. Old red pad 77 with high rings for a 50mm scope fits well too. Just depends on how God made your head, proving in my case He has a sense of humor.
Posted By: shootem Re: If Ruger.... - 01/07/17
And since we're probably pushing a rope anyway......
Lighten the 77/hawkeye action and add a 3 position tang safety. I'll buy the first 6.5x55 you make. At least make the wing safety lever bigger.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: If Ruger.... - 01/07/17
Change Ruger to Kimber and I'll call it good.
Posted By: pointer Re: If Ruger.... - 01/09/17
OK, now I have to change mine. Make a RAR in 6 Creed; both right and left hand. Predator wouldn't stink either.
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: If Ruger.... - 01/09/17
They do make a Predator in 6mm Creed with a 1-7.7" twist.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/16948.html

Not sure about lefties.
Posted By: pointer Re: If Ruger.... - 01/10/17
Great. Kinda. Think I need to buy one for my kids before I get one. They are LH and I am not...
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: If Ruger.... - 01/25/17
I see now where Ruger has dropped the 77/22 and 77/ centerfire line, they probly got more cheap plastic econo rifles commin....Ruger has turned into a junk line of firearms, better hold on to your old models if you got them.......Hb
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: If Ruger.... - 01/25/17
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I see now where Ruger has dropped the 77/22 and 77/ centerfire line, they probly got more cheap plastic econo rifles commin....Ruger has turned into a junk line of firearms, better hold on to your old models if you got them.......Hb
Where do you see them dropping the 77/centerfire line?

Ruger still have multiple varieties of 77 centerfires listed on their web site.
Posted By: dznnf7 Re: If Ruger.... - 01/28/17
The 77 "slash" rifles are gone - the .357 and .44. magnums, along with the hornets. I'm sure the tooling isn't in the dumpster but if the distributors have a few, and sales are poor, it can be mothballed until/if demand returns.
Ruger's business is to make money not guns. Guns are the product and they'll build what sells. Huge sales of economy products drive good margins, and when the numbers are there they'll build them. If sales drop they'll go back to the high price and high margin rifles and change their business model back. There doesn't seem to be a market for vanilla bolt guns at $800-900 a piece.

Everyone in that space is struggling while Savage, Ruger, and Tikka clean up.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: If Ruger.... - 01/28/17
Originally Posted by Technoman26

You'll notice he typed 77/centerfire line. The would be 77/357, 77/44 magnum, 77/22 hornet. Savvy?
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: If Ruger.... - 02/01/17
Originally Posted by Technoman26

You'll notice he typed 77/centerfire line. The would be 77/357, 77/44 magnum, 77/22 hornet. Savvy?
10-4. Misunderstood his post.
Posted By: TexPat Re: If Ruger.... - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by dznnf7
The 77 "slash" rifles are gone - the .357 and .44. magnums, along with the hornets. I'm sure the tooling isn't in the dumpster but if the distributors have a few, and sales are poor, it can be mothballed until/if demand returns.
Ruger's business is to make money not guns. Guns are the product and they'll build what sells. Huge sales of economy products drive good margins, and when the numbers are there they'll build them. If sales drop they'll go back to the high price and high margin rifles and change their business model back. There doesn't seem to be a market for vanilla bolt guns at $800-900 a piece.

Everyone in that space is struggling while Savage, Ruger, and Tikka clean up.

Exactly. I just bought a M70 Featherweight. I wanted a wood stock.

For 1/2-3/4 the price, I could have had an XPR that is just as (if not more) accurate than my M70 will be. Based upon what is stocked in stores, I would bet Winchester sells 3-4x as many XPRs as M70 (any version).

How many wood stocked M70s do you think they sell per year?
© 24hourcampfire