Home
I got some of those clamp on factory things with a T3.

Should I dump them and get something else, or use them.

30-06.
The screws are the weak point on the factory mounts.

I use them on a T3 .243 and they are fine. On something with more recoil i would replace the screws or go with a Weaver type base/ring combo.
I torque them to 17 in/lbs and haven't had any problems at all.

Other than being ugly and having soft screws, the Tikka rings will work if screws torqued properly.

These aren't too bad for $55 but not lightweights:

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/tikka-optilock-scope-mount-kit-1-low-black/s1320900/

SD
Originally Posted by SD65

Other than being ugly and having soft screws, the Tikka rings will work if screws torqued properly.

These aren't too bad for $55 but not lightweights:

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/tikka-optilock-scope-mount-kit-1-low-black/s1320900/

SD

Those look like they slide the rail and use the top screw holes.

I don't like the word "error" on the box though.

wonder what that's all about?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
The screws are the weak point on the factory mounts.

I use them on a T3 .243 and they are fine. On something with more recoil i would replace the screws or go with a Weaver type base/ring combo.

I have used them with no problem at all, the front ring has a stud which mounts in a corresponding hole so they are not going to move.

I do replace the screws with harder ones which can be purchased at practically any hardware store (or big box store). The screws are soft but I doubt that that changing them is necessary unless one changes scopes quite often as I have a tendency to do. I have noticed that after the rings have been on the rifle for a while the screws can be a bit tight this is probably caused by the dissimilar medals since the screws are steel and the rings are aluminum. In my case changing them to a harder screw is just a precaution to be sure that I don't end up drilling one out after rounding out a head. A couple of dollars well spent in my estimation.

If you are going for lightweight I doubt that you could find a lighter set of rings for a T-3.

drover
I think they would have held just fine on my 270 winchester SL BUT just for extra hold I used an extra ring and changed out the screws to harder ones.
Also Lightly lapped the rings and bedded them with JB weld.

[Linked Image]
There's been more than one form of failure in the Tikka rings. Soft screws, the centering pin getting bent from recoil, for the $35 shipped you can get Talleys for on EBay it's really a no brainier to me.
Or the Warne Tikka rings. And there are buyers that buy the OEM Tikka rings, so that makes the upgrade a little less.

lose 'em in the round file......

buy some quality rings....
Buddies have had them for years with no problem. Depends on how hard you use them. You can't go wrong either way.
I had one "drill" job many years ago. You must make sure the metric hex tool is squarely lined up before you start torquing. The cap rings are fine, but I think too many crank the hell out of the base screw and get into trouble.
Your experience may be different, however.
It cost me 50 cents each for 6 new screws from Home Depot. The factory screws were lacking, but for $3 total investment I felt the factory mounts were as good as anything else.
Doesn't 16Bore (or his dad) offer the modified Talleys for the Tikkas. I don't own one but have seen pictures of the machined Talleys on here and read where a lot of guys who got them were very pleased.

John
I didn't want to take a chance with all the mixed reviews and just replaced them with talleys . Love them.
My buddy went with DNZ one piece on his tikka.
Natchez had one piece talleys for $30 in stainless .
I use Talley's on My Tikka's but I dont see any problem with using the factory rings as long as you change out the extremely soft screws......Good luck.....Hb
Originally Posted by john843
Doesn't 16Bore (or his dad) offer the modified Talleys for the Tikkas. I don't own one but have seen pictures of the machined Talleys on here and read where a lot of guys who got them were very pleased.

John

I have 5 T3s, they all wear 16bore's Talleys.

My dad has 3, same.

P
Pharmseller - " I have 5 T3s, they all wear 16bore's Talleys."

Can't fault the logic here...be kinda tuff using duct tape or chewing gum to re-attach Tikka rings if the screws break. Not impressed w/pair that came w/my T3.
Homesteader
OK, where's the info on these modified Talleys?
I'm sure the Talleys would be fine but I've got a set of these and like them.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-tikka/
Between my Daughter and me we have 5 Tikkas and use the DNZ on all of them.
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I'm sure the Talleys would be fine but I've got a set of these and like them.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-tikka/

I had the 2 piece game masters(I think that is what they are called) no issues
Originally Posted by RWE
OK, where's the info on these modified Talleys?

Check this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9984638/Modified_Talley_Rings_for_Tikk

I bought a set for my LH T3 Lite a couple of weeks ago - love 'em.
dump them and replace with Warne
© 24hourcampfire