Home
Been looking at the Sako 85 Stainless Hunter in 260 with 8 twist barrel or a Montana in 7mm-08 9 twist

What would you do?

I wish the Montana came in 260!

Shod

I wouldn't have to think about it,but I have had both.I would suggest you find a shop that has both and see which fits better.Remember, the Sako will weigh a little more.If that's not an issue,I'll put my bet on the Sako.Kimber makes a nice Wood stainless rifle as well.You can't go wrong with either.
GL
i held the sako the other day. Almost put it on my credit card. that rifle is Nice!
If it was my $$$ the Sako would be be in my safe.
You a gambling man?
Sako
I honestly wouldn't compare the two.

You either want something as light as a Montana or you don't.

There is nothing like a Montana.

Travis
Sako.
Montana builds a 260 in the X2.
Montana Rifle Company or Kimber Montana?

John
Rifle company. As I was writing I realized Shodd was talking about Kimber. Thought I would throw it in anyway.
I have both and I like the Sako better. Shame but my Montana is a 4th tier back up rifle. I have 3 sakos that get walked before the Kimber. I like the detachable magazine on the Sako. I really pursue light weight, but the extra pound on the Sako seems to make the rifle feel secure. I personally shoot the Sakos better in practice on gongs. I have the Finnlights in 260, 308, and a M75 in 300WSM, and they are all less picky about loads than the Kimber.
I've owned several Kimbers and Sako 85s. If you are after the lightest weight possible Kimber owns that market. Sako however is a better built gun and a better design in many ways. The 3 lug 60 degree bolt lift is really hard to go away from once you've used one. Bolt body and handle are one piece. if I had to clear out my safe the Sakos would be the last to go.

Absolutely no question about it between those two. Sako!
I like Kool-aid!
That's like deciding between a truck and a car. Which do you need? The kimber is purpose built to fill a specific purpose.
For the price of the Sako, you could buy the Kimber and have it rebarreled to an 8 twist 260 Rem and probably still have money left over. I'd consider using SAS's custom Kimber countour that Lilja makes.
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I agree, both rifles have a strong appeal in different ways.

The Montana for myself has a very strong appeal as a mountain rifle that I'd be packing in steep terrain. It also has appeal factor because unfortunately my Tikka T3 I've been useing for week long camping treks into the hills is a Blued rifle rather than stainless. Not really a problem with rust if addressed each evening. I'd just prefer to be eating elk steak while drinking a beer.

The Sako Stainless Hunter on the other hand nothing really needs to be said. It has a certain finesse and quality about it that the Montana nitch doesn't quite fill.

Realistically as a rifle loonie the only logical choice is to go ahead and purchase both rifles so all my bases are covered. grin

My only fear is that many of my other rifles may end up gathering dust.

With the exception of my Tikka Stainless SL 223 with 8 twist. This rifle may well be my all time favorite for many years to come.

Shod

I find my Sako 75 & 85 SS feel cheaper built than my Kimber Montana. The synthetic stock is low rent for this price range on my Sako's. The action doesn't have CRF but has been reliable and I tolerate the safety position. I bought both my Sako's used and got a killer deal on both. I would never spend the money on a new Sako. The Montana with Kevlar/carbon stock oozes more quality from a build material stand point and worth the money. I find my Sako's don't go hunting nearly as much as my Montana and M70s do. I'll warn you now that when you get use to hunting with a genuine 6lbs rifle out the door, you won't want to use anything heavier in non magnum calibers. It will spoil you.

As a third choice for a mid weight rifle, look at the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. Their synthetic stocks have come a long way and better than what Sako's synthetic/rubber use.

Travis

+1
Shod,

I like my Montana a lot, but I still typically grab a 7.5lb rifle.

But if I were going to walk far, and steep, and pack schit out, the Montana is going 10 times out of 10.

Travis
I agree. The mid weight rifle still has a strong place in my line up. If your walking a lot then the Montana wins by default. Everyone needs a flyweight rifle in their line up.

Shod,

But if I were going to walk far, and steep, and pack schit out, the Montana is going 10 times out of 10.

Travis
Shod,

Travis

[Linked Image]
I had a schitty guide.

This chick had a good guide.

[Linked Image]
Was that with the 223 Mini-Me?
Yep.

Dave
Wait... no.

I forgot I bought the Mini. It was a Howa in .223 but not the Mini.

Travis
I'd rather drink Jim Jones koolaid than take another roll at the Montana dice again....lol......Good luck....Hb
Amazing what trouble an extra pound is.
Apples and oranges, as others have mentioned.
I had a schitty guide.

This chick had a good guide.

[Linked Image]

Ha.

Nice buck. Recent?

What kind of bet did you lose that made you wear a Bears hat?
2 of my 300 WSM's:
[Linked Image]

The Sako 85 Finnlight weighs 7 lbs as pictured. It is very accurate with several loads and is a treat to shoulder and carry. Not much more I could ask for.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Ha.

Nice buck. Recent?

What kind of bet did you lose that made you wear a Bears hat?

It was this season. A week before Thanksgiving I think.

You should see me with my Ditka sweater and aviators. Women fall over.

Travis
Damn, that is an uber healthy buck Flave!

I don't hunt the in the mountains but still like a lightweight because of the never ending breaks up and down country where I hunt mule deer.

A heavier rifle wouldn't be a benefit so I don't carry a heavier rifle.

That and I like a bipod which makes shooting a lightweight much easier.

People always say, "Oh heavens, why put a bipod on a lightweight...you're defeating the purpose and ruining the balance...."

Bullchit, why take a 7.5lb rifle and put a bipod on it and make it even heavier?

What was the subject?

Sako versus Kimber?

I have an 85, A7 and two MT's. The Sako's ended up in the back of the safe, the MT's up front.

SAKO
Originally Posted by boliep

+1

You could:

A) Get a nice accurate rifle that works that you would treasure forever or...

B) You could get the Kimber.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by boliep

+1

You could:

A) Get a nice accurate rifle that works that you would treasure forever or...

B) You could get the Kimber.
(which you will grab 9 of 10 times when going hunting....)

Great point Poobs.....grin
I have not owned a Kimber rifle(except a Yonkers K22; it is excellent); but my Hunter Stainless Model 75, .270, might be the last rifle I would sell. It is totally dependable. I have owned it for 12 years with same scope/ring setup and take it out before the season; shoot (3) Barnes VOR-TX 130TTSX under an inch for confirmation and put it back in the case. It just works and looks good doing it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What about dropping the Sako Finnlight into an Edge stock? How much closer would that put it to the Kimber?
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
I have not owned a Kimber rifle(except a Yonkers K22; it is excellent); but my Hunter Stainless Model 75, .270, might be the last rifle I would sell. It is totally dependable. I have owned it for 12 years with same scope/ring setup and take it out before the season; shoot (3) Barnes VOR-TX 130TTSX under an inch for confirmation and put it back in the case. It just works and looks good doing it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

man that thing is nice. i handled the 85 stainless hunter the other day. hopefully i can find a slightly used 75 or 85 before i decide to drop 2k on one
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Damn, that is an uber healthy buck Flave!

I don't hunt the in the mountains but still like a lightweight because of the never ending breaks up and down country where I hunt mule deer.

A heavier rifle wouldn't be a benefit so I don't carry a heavier rifle.

That and I like a bipod which makes shooting a lightweight much easier.

People always say, "Oh heavens, why put a bipod on a lightweight...you're defeating the purpose and ruining the balance...."

Bullchit, why take a 7.5lb rifle and put a bipod on it and make it even heavier?

What was the subject?

Sako versus Kimber?

I have an 85, A7 and two MT's. The Sako's ended up in the back of the safe, the MT's up front.

Dr. Rez is right.

Travis
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Sako versus Kimber?

Yeah but....you also drink cheap ass gas station beer and shoot a .270...

Your credibility is in question...

And the fact that 'flave agrees with you REALLY puts it in jeopardy...... wink
LMAO!
I've had both not in .260 but a 84m in 7-08 and I have sold all the Kimbers and now have 2 sako finnlights for a production rifle in my opinion there is nothing close to a finnlight the ease of trigger adjustment the fit and finish sometimes I have to open the bolt back up to see if it chambered the next round it's that smooth I would buy a finnlight 7-08 I'd i was you you will not regret it and if you change your mind and want to sell it I will buy it or someone else on here will
Stump270 is giving good advice. It's hard to get rid of a Sako 85 once you get your mitts on one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got that in 30-06 and I bought 2 addtional magazines for it grin just in case fooking Beretta decides to discontinue them.

Cruiser is that 75 in an Edge or standard weight Mcmillan? Thanks
That 75 is in the original Sako French walnut stock provided with the Hunter Stainless. That rifle is too good as it is to change a thing.
That 75 is in the original Sako French walnut stock provided with the Hunter Stainless. That rifle is too good as it is to change a thing.

Yeah I would not change it either, I thought for some reason(eyesight) that it was a Mcmillan with a red pad maybe because you have posted pictures of them in other posts. I have the 75 SS syn in 06. It is a bit porky but is a tackdriver with anything i shoot out of it so far.
SAKO!
I love my late in life FIRST SAKO,a TECOMATE 300 WSM!
I wish I had its mate a TECOMATE 270 WSM!
But recent events would mean trading what I have
for one now!
AMRA
© 24hourcampfire