Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Been looking at the Sako 85 Stainless Hunter in 260 with 8 twist barrel or a Montana in 7mm-08 9 twist

What would you do?

I wish the Montana came in 260!

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't have to think about it,but I have had both.I would suggest you find a shop that has both and see which fits better.Remember, the Sako will weigh a little more.If that's not an issue,I'll put my bet on the Sako.Kimber makes a nice Wood stainless rifle as well.You can't go wrong with either.
GL

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i held the sako the other day. Almost put it on my credit card. that rifle is Nice!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it was my $$$ the Sako would be be in my safe.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You a gambling man?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Sako

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I honestly wouldn't compare the two.

You either want something as light as a Montana or you don't.

There is nothing like a Montana.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Sako.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Montana builds a 260 in the X2.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Montana Rifle Company or Kimber Montana?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rifle company. As I was writing I realized Shodd was talking about Kimber. Thought I would throw it in anyway.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both and I like the Sako better. Shame but my Montana is a 4th tier back up rifle. I have 3 sakos that get walked before the Kimber. I like the detachable magazine on the Sako. I really pursue light weight, but the extra pound on the Sako seems to make the rifle feel secure. I personally shoot the Sakos better in practice on gongs. I have the Finnlights in 260, 308, and a M75 in 300WSM, and they are all less picky about loads than the Kimber.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've owned several Kimbers and Sako 85s. If you are after the lightest weight possible Kimber owns that market. Sako however is a better built gun and a better design in many ways. The 3 lug 60 degree bolt lift is really hard to go away from once you've used one. Bolt body and handle are one piece. if I had to clear out my safe the Sakos would be the last to go.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Absolutely no question about it between those two. Sako!

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Kool-aid!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's like deciding between a truck and a car. Which do you need? The kimber is purpose built to fill a specific purpose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the price of the Sako, you could buy the Kimber and have it rebarreled to an 8 twist 260 Rem and probably still have money left over. I'd consider using SAS's custom Kimber countour that Lilja makes.

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I agree, both rifles have a strong appeal in different ways.

The Montana for myself has a very strong appeal as a mountain rifle that I'd be packing in steep terrain. It also has appeal factor because unfortunately my Tikka T3 I've been useing for week long camping treks into the hills is a Blued rifle rather than stainless. Not really a problem with rust if addressed each evening. I'd just prefer to be eating elk steak while drinking a beer.

The Sako Stainless Hunter on the other hand nothing really needs to be said. It has a certain finesse and quality about it that the Montana nitch doesn't quite fill.

Realistically as a rifle loonie the only logical choice is to go ahead and purchase both rifles so all my bases are covered. grin

My only fear is that many of my other rifles may end up gathering dust.

With the exception of my Tikka Stainless SL 223 with 8 twist. This rifle may well be my all time favorite for many years to come.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 12/11/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I find my Sako 75 & 85 SS feel cheaper built than my Kimber Montana. The synthetic stock is low rent for this price range on my Sako's. The action doesn't have CRF but has been reliable and I tolerate the safety position. I bought both my Sako's used and got a killer deal on both. I would never spend the money on a new Sako. The Montana with Kevlar/carbon stock oozes more quality from a build material stand point and worth the money. I find my Sako's don't go hunting nearly as much as my Montana and M70s do. I'll warn you now that when you get use to hunting with a genuine 6lbs rifle out the door, you won't want to use anything heavier in non magnum calibers. It will spoil you.

As a third choice for a mid weight rifle, look at the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. Their synthetic stocks have come a long way and better than what Sako's synthetic/rubber use.

Last edited by mystro; 12/11/15.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

+1

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,251
Posts18,504,697
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.