Home
This post may carry a heavy stench of mid-life crisis..... and to some degree that may be valid..... but.....

Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

My answer has been the same in every instance..... Tikka 6.5 Creed and a case of Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo.

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my own advice? I mean.... we used to have to spend hours, and hundred or even thousands of dollars to get the kind of performance I can buy on the shelf at Sportsman's now for $600 and $25/box ammo.

I used to love to sit in my basement and reload rifle rounds.... for a dozen or better cartridges.... for my family.... for my buddies. But at some point, it turned into a downright chore. Recent changes in life have caused an uprooting, and now all my reloading stuff (two large totes worth) has been sitting idle for the past 6 months.... and frankly, I haven't missed it.

I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench. Even if I could.... I wouldn't be saving any money... and I'd be "wasting" a lot of time.

So..... I'm thinking of doing something I would have never believed I'd even consider. Getting rid of it all... The KS 7 Mag.... the Benchmark barreled Tikka 6 Creed... the .300 Blackout.... the 25lbs of powder.... the couple thousand projectiles... the presses.... the dies.... ALL OF IT.

Seems like I could parlay those resources into a hunt or two with my boys.... some new 15x glasses.... or some other gear that would make my actual hunting more enjoyable.

Hell..... I'm even considering doing something Uber crazy.... and going back to my .270 Win roots..... that's right.... I said it.... a Two-F'n-Sebenty....

I may not go that far.... but for my hunting needs (out to 500ish).... it would cover all my bases.

What say the masses...... am I totally out of my gourd? Except for the .270 thing.... I know that's Bat Schitt (but practical).
No,

GWB
There are a lot of rifles and cartridges that are good for deer, not just a Creedmore--
Great idea on getting rid of stuff to do some good hunts. I obsess over doing the same thing myself all the time. My problem is I have some weird obsession about keeping all my rifles, even the ones I haven't used in years - just in case crazy

Anyway, if you can do it more power to you. I think having 2-3 really good rifles that shoot everything would be a good thing.
Dog,

It all sounds good to me Except...

Dumping the 300 B.O.

If I recall correctly you're a suppressor shooter, and nothing is quieter than a 300 BO.

Maybe where you live in Colorado due to the distance it's just a toy, and you'd have to be a super dialer to make any use out of it though?

Good Luck,

Jerry
I’ve thought about it a bunch myself.

I’d have a hard time getting rid of the 7 you have though. Even for a bit of shooting and hunting it wouldn’t be all that much to shoot some great factory ammo, same for the 270 as well.

I can definitely understand the simplicity of it all. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Its hard to beat the 6.5 creedmoor tikka combo.
Josh, I agree with you, the simple fact of the matter, if a guy “hunts” shiit gets real simple. We are at a good point to purge. Great rifles, great factory fodder, awesome bullets. I love building what I think is cool stuff, but fuuck what a waste of $$$.... I’ve made it no secret over the years I’d waaaay rather hunt/go on hunting trips than collect wares.... I mind be right along behind you
Thoughts of that nature are usually brought on by a personal traumatic experience. Have you lost a loved one lately? Gone through a divorce? Been bit by a dog (or a cat)? Had to buy a new car and still having a hard time catching your breath from sticker shock?

If reloading is becoming a chore, IMO you're doing it wrong.... one of the reasons I reload (besides being a cheap bastid and trying to save enough money to shoot more) is to relax and concentrate on something besides my problems. And having several different rifles gives me a change of pace for reloading and shooting at the range, out in the grasslands/forests, and hunting... I also hope to teach my son to reload so he carries on the tradition- but at 41 he still isn't showing much interest so I think I've missed the boat on that one...

But, hey, if life has become too much to handle you should definitely get rid of everything and just start over with a (gasp) .270 or a (gasp, gasp) 6.5 Creedmore and just become the hunter you always wanted to be. We'll be here to support you (kind of) in any decision you make and ridicule you when you change your mind but that is the nature of the beast, right?

Be prepared for the inevitable suggestions on what rifle is best, what scope you need, which factory ammo to buy, what store to buy from, etc.....

Good luck and rest in peace whatever decision you make... I'm sure there will be a petition soon being circulated for you to turn in your man card...

Bob
You know where to send the Tikka 6 CM....

I’m with you though. Some factory ammo has gotten so good it’s hard to justify sitting at the reloading bench for hours over 75-100 FPS. The only thing I’m really interested in loading for anymore is the match barrels.

Reckon I’ll never catch enough gay to go consider a .270 but everything else has gravitated towards quality factory ammo as a first consideration.
D s

I've ALREADY done ALL the buying guns, dies, powder, bullets, et.al. They're NOT costing me anything and prices are NOT going down.

If I were LIMITED to 1 rifle & cartridge life would be soooooo boring ! Right now I'm changing my plans for this Fall's deer season.
I 'thot' I was all set but some "Loonys" here stirred up my mud hole last night and I'm REVAMPING my gun/hunting plans.

It's NICE to have options. I like the weapons I've accumulated over the years. The ONLY way I'd sell all except 1 or 2 is I'd have to have a financial TRAGEDY !!!! I don't have to spend hours loading ammo. All I need to kick off the season is 8 rounds for each of 2 rifles (16 rds) at most.

I'm not trying to tell YOU what to do..... It's what I'm doing.

Good Luck in your decisions and I hope you have NO 'regerts'. LOL

Jerry
Originally Posted by joshf303

Reckon I’ll never catch enough gay to go consider a .270 but everything else has gravitated towards quality factory ammo as a first consideration.

“Dream On” , “Dream On “

Jerry
I say you aren't crazy!! Money/time spent on hunts or doing things with the kiddos is much more important than 'stuff'. Then I'm way more of a hunting loony than a rifle loony...

Due to a remodel and my stuff being in boxes, I'm thinking long and hard about just seeing if I can find some 260 Rem ammo that my new to me Tikka likes well enough.
Dogshooter –

Condolences – hope you get well soon!

At the current time I reload for about 19 cartridges. To inventory my powder I stack it up on the pool table by type, then take a photo. About 80 pounds worth. About 20,000 primers and untold thousands of bullets and empty cases are in my reloading room. At last count I also had about 15,000 .22’s in Short, Long Rifle and Magnum. (Still looking to add more Short.)

A few weeks back I was approached by someone wanting to buy my Marlin 375 (.375 Winchester). In response, I added up the replacement cost of the bullets, brass and bullets, upgrades to the rifle (sights, trigger, etc.) and dies. The total was just over $1,000. All of that would have had to go with the rifle, which wasn’t included in the total. I was shocked and think the potential buyer was as well. When my wife asks what all the reloading stuff is worth, I just play dumb.

Fortunately, I have a lot of loaded ammo on the shelf. As jwall says, it isn’t costing anything and prices are not going down. While I still enjoy heading down to the reloading room to work, it isn’t something I do every day. Mostly I load to replace what I shoot (which isn’t nearly as much as I would like).

Got daughter #1 a used Rem M700 in .270 Win, which she will use for elk and deer this fall. Turns to to really like 150g ABLR over H100 at a little over 2900fps. Development, of course, required purchasing dies and bullets. Oh, well. smile
Originally Posted by pointer
Then I'm way more of a hunting loony than a rifle loony...

To me, that's the big deciding factor. Seems to me that Josh is as much a shooting loony as he is a hunting loony, so having just one rifle might be rather painful for the shooting loony side of him...
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
This post may carry a heavy stench of mid-life crisis..... and to some degree that may be valid..... but.....

Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

My answer has been the same in every instance..... Tikka 6.5 Creed and a case of Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo.

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my own advice? I mean.... we used to have to spend hours, and hundred or even thousands of dollars to get the kind of performance I can buy on the shelf at Sportsman's now for $600 and $25/box ammo.

I used to love to sit in my basement and reload rifle rounds.... for a dozen or better cartridges.... for my family.... for my buddies. But at some point, it turned into a downright chore. Recent changes in life have caused an uprooting, and now all my reloading stuff (two large totes worth) has been sitting idle for the past 6 months.... and frankly, I haven't missed it.

I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench. Even if I could.... I wouldn't be saving any money... and I'd be "wasting" a lot of time.

So..... I'm thinking of doing something I would have never believed I'd even consider. Getting rid of it all... The KS 7 Mag.... the Benchmark barreled Tikka 6 Creed... the .300 Blackout.... the 25lbs of powder.... the couple thousand projectiles... the presses.... the dies.... ALL OF IT.

Seems like I could parlay those resources into a hunt or two with my boys.... some new 15x glasses.... or some other gear that would make my actual hunting more enjoyable.

Hell..... I'm even considering doing something Uber crazy.... and going back to my .270 Win roots..... that's right.... I said it.... a Two-F'n-Sebenty....

I may not go that far.... but for my hunting needs (out to 500ish).... it would cover all my bases.

What say the masses...... am I totally out of my gourd? Except for the .270 thing.... I know that's Bat Schitt (but practical).

Dog...

You ain't crazy pard. I've thought about this same thing for 5+ years now....

Spend the time hunting and killing and with the kiddos ..
I say you aren't crazy!! Money/time spent on hunts or doing things with the kiddos is much more important than 'stuff'. Then I'm way more of a hunting loony than a rifle loony...

Due to a remodel and my stuff being in boxes, I'm thinking long and hard about just seeing if I can find some 260 Rem ammo that my new to me Tikka likes well enough.

Yes brother, I too am a “hunting looney “...
Originally Posted by Judman

Yes brother, I too am a “hunting looney “...

Me too !
Not crazy at all.

Been purging gear/guns myself to simplify life.

Kind of stupid what a guy accumulates over the years.
I'm pretty sure I'm done buying rifles for myself once the last one on layaway lands, anyway. Lately I've been selling or giving them away at about the same rate as buying them, thus no net gain of guns, as my son likes to say. I'm trending towards light rifles for light cartridges, as anything here can be neatly killed with the small ones, and light weight has become a big plus. Two FN Mausers in .270 and .30/06 will stay on, just because I'm a bit nutty for those actions. Got piles of components on hand, so most of my shooting is effectively "for free", with possibly some small exceptions for looking for the perfect load in a couple. Still need a bullet clock, but will wait until I feel comfortable spending the bucks for the Labradar; maybe later this year. Better glass may be one place I will still splurge.

Whatever you do, don't go batcrap crazy and start selling stuff off unless you're sure you're ready. Seller's remorse can be expensive.
I’ll probably keep what I got to give to the boy and grandson eventually, now I’m just gonna collect “species”...
I am working on the same. After moving, my reloading stuff remains in boxes. I figure a Fieldcraft in 30-06 and one in 6 creedmoor could do everything I will want to do with rifles. Now I just have to get rid of the rest of them.
I had a buddy (who’s currently serving 14 months in work release) tell me the other day..... “in jail it’s not Gay Sex.... it’s just Sex”.... I laughed my ass off. But, it seems pretty appropriate for the .270 Win.

Jordan.... you are somewhat correct... for a long time, I was more of a shooter than a hunter. I enjoyed it a lot, I wanted to be able to hit schitt way out there. I got to that point... and I shot thousands and thousands of rounds over a 10 year period. In the last couple years.... I’ve probably only shot 300 +/- rounds total (of CF ammo).

My “shooting” stage has payed tremendous dividends in the field.... and has allows me to help countless other folks extend their ability to hit stuff too.... including my kids and wife and brothers. It brought me tremendous joy to watch kids, and old ladies, and non-believers pound on steel WAY beyond normal ranges.

I’m enjoyed my time as a “shooter”.... but I’ve really enjoyed the “hunting” side of things. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive.... but sacrificing one, allows for gains in the other... at least going forward.

I’m pretty convinced that a yard sale is forthcoming.... I’ve just learned through experience... to let decisions such as this simmer for a while.... before pulling the trigger (pun intended).
I'm a hunting loony too, like many here. Whatever season is open, I'm all in.

Dog, I"m not sure how old you are, but I am 58 and about 10 years ago now I went through much the same thing you are considering. I wound up selling several L61R's in various cartridges, a handful of Steyr MII's, and a few others. It left me with Tikkas in 7mag, 30-06, 7mm08, an old 30-30, and added a couple of 6.5CM's (tikkas) that are stupid good. This covers everything I do....Africa, open country deer, creek bottom hogs, etc. I like where I am with it all. You'll still be kickin' ass with whatever you have in your hands, much like GregW, Jud, and Jordan.

My T3X likes those ELDX's too, alot.

[Linked Image]
I'm in the process of thinning my herd, but don't intend to go down to just one rifle. I think there's something to be said for having a spare or two ready to go, and I enjoy different platforms. Don't ever want to be without both a lever action and a bolt gun too.

Taint crazy at all.
Welcome to stage 4 - there are a few of us on the platform with ya. Now for stage 5. smile

1) Perceived need stage
2) Acquire stage
3) Utilization stage
4) Awakening stage
5) Edit stage
I had a buddy (who’s currently serving 14 months in work release) tell me the other day..... “in jail it’s not Gay Sex.... it’s just Sex”.... I laughed my ass off. But, it seems pretty appropriate for the .270 Win.

Jordan.... you are somewhat correct... for a long time, I was more of a shooter than a hunter. I enjoyed it a lot, I wanted to be able to hit schitt way out there. I got to that point... and I shot thousands and thousands of rounds over a 10 year period. In the last couple years.... I’ve probably only shot 300 +/- rounds total (of CF ammo).

My “shooting” stage has payed tremendous dividends in the field.... and has allows me to help countless other folks extend their ability to hit stuff too.... including my kids and wife and brothers. It brought me tremendous joy to watch kids, and old ladies, and non-believers pound on steel WAY beyond normal ranges.

I’m enjoyed my time as a “shooter”.... but I’ve really enjoyed the “hunting” side of things. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive.... but sacrificing one, allows for gains in the other... at least going forward.

I’m pretty convinced that a yard sale is forthcoming.... I’ve just learned through experience... to let decisions such as this simmer for a while.... before pulling the trigger (pun intended).

Shooting a few PRS-style matches every year will prolong your "shooter loony-ism" for quite some time smile It's a blast- addictive even.

But I understand being a hunting loony, as well. I consider myself to be about 50:50, and go through phases where one side tugs harder than the other, just like a lot of guys here.
Doesn’t sound crazy to me. Sounds efficient. And simple. Myself, I think i’d Have to have at least 2 if not three left though. In calibers I did t need to reload for and still get excellent performance. My choices might not be the same as yours, but I can definitely see the logic and ‘bigger picture’ that you’re eyeballing. Good luck to you sir.
Couldn’t be less than 2 because i’d have to have a lever as well as well as a bolt. Just me though. Realistically, 1 lever and 2 bolts. Minimum.
No Sir I don’t believe it’s crazy. I’ve been thinking along those lines for a few years now. I’d much rather hunt more than collect rifles that I don’t need. I have friends who only have one or two rifles and have killed as much or more than I have.

I’ll keep about a half dozen or so, but that would be about five more than I really need.
Don’t get me wrong.... this ain’t a one rifle kinda deal.... no man should put himself through that... laffin.

I’m keeping a .22lr, the 1-7” twist 16” AR, the Mossberg 500 12ga, and going with a hunting rifle of yet to be determined make and caliber.

I like the PRS/SRM stuff... and have shot a couple of each.... but it just ain’t my cup of tea anymore. I really enjoy the KYL .22lr stuff though.... and long range rimfire play.... so that’s where I’ll get my “shooting” fix.
I am in the editing stage for sure. I used to have a long list of handguns that I thought would be awesome to own. Owned a lot of them eventually but lost interest. I am down to a small semi-auto for daily carry, a ruger single six, and a three screw Blackhawk .357. I don't miss the others.

I used to like variety in my shotguns and have owned some good ones. I loved shooting 28s. I am down to an o/u 20 gauge for upland birds on nice days and a 12 gauge pump for everything else. I don't miss the others.

I am still pretty slutty in the rifle department as I am probably about 60-70% hunter and 30-40% rifle shooter. Lately I have been gravitating towards accurate factory rifles with enough character that they hold little retail value. One of the best shooters I own is a rough old 700 varmint in .223 that is missing a bunch of finish and has had the barrel setback at least once by the previous owner. That rifles shoots several types of factory ammo around 1/2 moa without any fuss at all. It rides in my truck all fall/winter and I don't feel bad when I abuse it. I handload for lots of rifles but can't justify it for the .223 when the cheap stuff shoots great and kills stuff just fine.

I have a stainless Mark II Ruger .270 that was bedded in a laminate stock. With the first handload I tried (130 NBT over H4831) It shot at least as well as my blueprinted 700s with high end barrels, expensive stocks, and good triggers. Makes you scratch your head sometimes. For a lot less money I could buy 5-10 used factory rifles, shoot them, keep the winners and ditch the losers.

If I ever got serious about downsizing my rifle collection it would be Ruger 77/22 skeleton, Ruger 77/17 Laminate for ground squirrels, Rem 700 Heavy .223 for P Dogs/Coyotes, Ruger 77 Skeleton .300 Win for big game. I could probably ditch one of the rimfires and still have North America covered just fine.
Dogshooter--I think you realized something about yourself that I read about a few years ago. The article said that there are two types of people--"thing" people and "experience" people. Thing people have to always be buying stuff, even if they don't really have a need for it. They get happy by buying. Experience people just have enough equipment to use for their pursuits. They'd rather travel or hunt than keep buying stuff that costs so much that they can't afford to hunt or travel.
I got my fix young I guess, Ol man had me had me at the reloading bench at 12, rem 700’s, leupold scopes and lots of Hornady bullets, weekends were spent hittin the hills and shooting rocks and sticks, pre turrets and lrf’s... so I’ve got my fill of “shooting “ too. Anymore it’s about quality of hunts, not quantity, and I’d just soon go fishin, campin, or traveling with the ol lady. Most folks interests change as they get older, if that’s what your feelin brother, do it, time with your kids doing cool shiit ain’t gonna suck
I enjoy hunting but I can only eat so much a year, and it's too fugg'n expensive to give the goods to family.
About half my rifles are family hand-me-downs and I will not get rid of those, plus I enjoy their history and remembering where they came from. The other half of my rifles sees some churn, trying out new stuff, selling older stuff, which I can do because I've got the other rifles I know I'll never trade off. I could easily make do with the gifted guns and a couple of good SS sporters and be done with it, but I enjoy having a project or two in the works all the time. I will say that my interests have pulled away from the fringe stuff and niche wares in the last decade. I like guns I'll use.
I have been through so many rifles in so many calibers that I honestly couldn’t even count them all. I have simplified my tools to 3 primaries, 8 twist 223, 6.5 crymore, and a 30-06 all Tikka T3’s. I’m 50-50 on reloading versus factory on them, but I’m done with everything else. With those 3 rifles I need nothing else and am not handicapped in anyway. Ammo and components are cheap and readily available for all 3.
Originally Posted by SLM
Not crazy at all.

Been purging gear/guns myself to simplify life.

Kind of stupid what a guy accumulates over the years.

I've bought some stuff over the years I wouldn't buy again on a bet. Guns aren't one of them. Well, one was, but I sold it.
Originally Posted by JPro
About half my rifles are family hand-me-downs and I will not get rid of those, plus I enjoy their history and remembering where they came from. The other half of my rifles sees some churn, trying out new stuff, selling older stuff, which I can do because I've got the other rifles I know I'll never trade off. I could easily make do with the gifted guns and a couple of good SS sporters and be done with it, but I enjoy having a project or two in the works all the time. I will say that my interests have pulled away from the fringe stuff and niche wares in the last decade. I like guns I'll use.

Like you, I have a number of hand-me-downs. With three daughters that like to shoot and five grandkids, many of the rest will be.
I am down to a 6.5x55 mauser build and a 257 Roberts and a 243 and a 222 in the centerfire department. May trim more but I don't even know what at this point.
Originally Posted by joshf303
You know where to send the Tikka 6 CM....

I’m with you though. Some factory ammo has gotten so good it’s hard to justify sitting at the reloading bench for hours over 75-100 FPS. The only thing I’m really interested in loading for anymore is the match barrels.

Haha I’m still gay. I have two 270’s. I may be selling one and keeping one that will likely go with me to the grave. I’m in the process of getting rid of a few that I know good and damn well I ain’t gonna shoot or not much if I do. I can certainly live without a few of them. I’d like to get down to 10 and then maybe 5 nice hunting rifles.....there are some that simply never get to play. I dumped one the other day that is accurate, consistent and very easy on the eyes....just knew I would use it again. Dogshooter, I’m with you. I’d rather take a few trips here and there and not have so many rifles I end up looking at😂
Thinning the herd makes perfect sense to me. I've been giving guns to my 5 sons and SILs for a few years and am now giving guns to my 11 grandchildren. Still have several 308s, 06s, and 243/223s but there going as kids grow. All I'm interested in now is one ruger Hawkeye in 308win. It will easily handle hogs, deer, and elk till I check out. Ymmv.
Not crazy at all!

In fact I already beat you to it. Currently sitting on 2 T3 6.5 CMs and 2 T3 270s. And of course a 223 T3 b/c everybody “needs” a 1:8 twist 223.

And all they’ve ever been fed is factory fodder.
I am constantly thinking the same thing. Currently have Tikka T3s in 223, 6.5cm and 270. Have a heirloom 30-06 and am doing some work on a 300wsm 70 and 280ai tikka right now and am wondering if I even need the two guns I have in the works. I’ve been running the 270win here in CO for the last 6 years and it’s killed everything i’ve Pointed it at out to almost 600 yards. Seems like I waste a lot of time just messing with loads for all the rifles and other BS when I could be spending that time with my family.
Our priorities change along with Life. I find, as I get older and stiffer/hurt more, that I don't hunt as much. But I'm not ready to just hang around the rifle range or go out and shoot rocks in the desert. I still "want" to hunt/kill game,etc. I am running out of time, along with discretionary funds, so, I focus more on planning hunts (the ones I can still do!) instead of playing with rifles/a lot of loads. Its 'sobering" to realize that "you can't have it all", ha. choices have to be made...:)

I didn't even read your whole post, cause this is just crazy talk!

Buy a new rifle, a little red sports car, and find a 20 something leggy blonde girlfriend ...all this other mental masturbation will soon go away...
I don't think it's crazy either. I consider myself a rifle looney as well, but a few things have fallen into place over the last year, that looks like it's going to allow me to do things I never thought I would be able to do before this time. Due to that, I am looking at one more rifle and shotgun, and I am offloading a few of my rifles and shotguns I already have to my oldest son. I think I would rather make memories on hunting trips to Africa that I am saving up for, than a bunch of rifles that will just sit in the safe 95% of the time.
If something piques my curious nature,I simply procure and R&D in extrapolation to Proven Wares. Being a Brokedick must be a real bummer? Congratulations?!?

Hint................
I dont think its silly at all. Ive done it 3 or 4 times.

Slooooow that pony down brother! Ok, deep breath into a paper sack, that’s it, breathe, in and out....

Everything you are contemplating makes perfect sense - You dial, so you’re good...You can wring as much performance, if not more out of a creed then some can with magnum just in your shot placement abilities alone...

Get a 7/08 and do the same...Lot’s of fun to be had with 7/08 and you won’t have to update your wardrobe with dresses and high heels that come mandatory with a 270 Gay. 🌈😎🌈.

PS
It’s not a mid-life crisis when you realize you no longer need to chase speed...That’s just been there done that...

Says the idiot who loves 3k plus fps and 30 cals. Laffin
Dog,
I hope whatever you have is not contagious!
But seriously, if anybody doesn't think a 270 will cover anything any other mid bore can do as far as a hunting round they haven't tried one.

You're not crazy, hell the only rifle I really use much(other than my 10/22) is my 8x57. Of course I reload for that, but for my boys, I built a matched pair of 270's. There is nothing wrong with readily available high quality factory ammo.
Good Lord, some of you guys would have Dog become a gun anorexic. That’s neither healthy or attractive. 😎
Welcome to going full circle with your schit.....enjoy your new found free time.

270 and your 6CM will do it.
Originally Posted by DCR48
I dont think its silly at all. Ive done it 3 or 4 times.

Lol...x2.

I was down to a T3 30-06 and a T-3 222 at one point. Then I happened to see a M70 at a store and felt teary eyed...after everything we had been through, so I bought 2 M70’s. I sold the T3 30-06 though! But replaced it with a 7-08. It’s a vicious cycle.

Seriously though, I keep 3 Big Game rifles on hand. A classic wood/blue bolt, synthetic bolt, and iron sighted woods gun ala 760. Currently at 4 and it’s bugging me. I can’t stand owning something I don’t use. Any more than 2-3 and I feel like a glutton. NMT 12 total (22, shotguns, pistols, MZ) etc.

I handload with my kids, so think of it as a benefit to them understanding tools and that’s it’s always better to make it yourself.
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawwd...I hope to never lose a bet that big,in which nothing becomes "something".

223,223AI,22BR,6BR,243AI and 7-08 SALAMI Reload Day today,thus far.

Hint..................
Originally Posted by 16bore
Welcome to going full circle with your schit.....enjoy your new found free time.

270 and your 6CM will do it.

Nooooo, He’s not ready to commit to a full man bun, yet. Quit pushing him 😎
These threads disgust me! this is like going to a bar and preachin drinkin is evil..... you'all need to snap out of it.... good grief go buy a Creedmoor
Ooooopsie...Six-Twat Six too...................
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Good Lord, some of you guys would have Dog become a gun anorexic. That’s neither healthy or attractive. 😎

AIN'T that the TRUTH ! !
--------------------------------------

[quote=jwall
D s

If I were LIMITED to 1 rifle & cartridge life would be soooooo boring ! Right now I'm changing my plans for this Fall's deer season.
I 'thot' I was all set but some "Loonys" here stirred up my mud hole last night and I'm REVAMPING my gun/hunting plans.

It's NICE to have options. I like the weapons I've accumulated over the years. The ONLY way I'd sell all except 1 or 2 is I'd have to have a financial TRAGEDY !!!! I don't have to spend hours loading ammo. All I need to kick off the season is 8 rounds for each of 2 rifles (16 rds) at most.
Good Luck in your decisions and I hope you have NO 'regerts'. LOL
------------------------------------

TODAY I've done an inventory of my stable. I really hadn't thot about this until this thread.

I don't MEAN to brag, seriously. I had to take a look and see.

I don't have ONE rifle that hasn't been BLOODIED multiple times. smile by me!
The M Six I inherited from my Dad - I don't know if he killed a deer with it or not. I lived out of State for 9 yrs so....
I have bloodied it several times for him JUST IN CASE !

My latest acquisition is the T 3 X Lite SS 7 RM. It got bloodied last season more than once.

Previously is my M 98 in 284 W and it kilt 3 in 2017; et.al. .. et.al. M Six 06, M 70 - 6.5X55 ..........

ALSO as far back as 1995 when I got my Knight S S 54 cal mzl.... I have been FORTUNATE to kill a deer (if not a buck) on the FIRST day I took them hunting. If there is a rifle I didn't kill a deer on the 1st day of hunting.... it escapes my memory.

I'm PAT !!! I guess at 69 I'm over Mid Life Crisis. grin

Jerry
223, 243, 270......just saying.

Gotta run, taking hot stuff out on the town. Have fun yanking yer ‘chuckers...

That schit is lame.
Do you really care what other people, most of whom you don't really know, have to say?

Do whatever you think is best for you and then live with the consequences.
I am in that same process, but just getting rid of the stuff I do not think I will use.

I am 100% hunter and the looneyism is a by product of that. I enjoy reloading and messing around when no season is on. Earlier this week just worked up another load for my 1:9 222 and 1:8 22-250. It was a great couple of days. I will load several hundred rounds of each and shoot them at leisure. Next on the list is a 1:9 338-06, once I find the load I will load enough rounds get me by for many years of hunting and shooting.

I only do this when I have time and can enjoy it. I have never been driven by the looneyism like hunting. I am also getting a little more serious about long range, but once again when I can enjoy it and not be driven by it. I will never long rang.e hunt anything, as that is not my goal when hunting.

I love my 270's and could give a flying %^$* about the naysayers. The 270 was getting it done long before man buns and gay pride was a thing.

I bought one Tikka and could not bring myself to even shoot it and sold it. You guys can have all of them, same with RAR's.

Jud stated he is after animals, I am after hunting experiences! Working with the rifle is an important part of that experience.
Facts and Physics hurt 270 Lover's feelings and fhuqking reliably.

Hint.................
There are better candidates out there but nothing wrong with a 270 win for 95% of hunting big game situations ....
Kchuntis,

Folks who "know" as "much" as you,are best served by asking questions...rather than giving "answers". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!

Hint....................
Didn't I tell you years ago that if I want your opinion I will give it to you?
Kchuntis,

People who "know" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions...rather than giving "answers".

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint..................
Originally Posted by Fotis
There are better candidates out there but nothing wrong with a 270 win for 95% of hunting big game situations ....

That is exactly why I bought a .270 Win for Daughter #1. A 150g ABLR @ 2912fps is nothing to sneer at, especially when it groups like hers does. Rem M700 made long ago, gently used and purchased a few months ago.

Recoil is under 18 foot-lbs, 1500fpe out past 800 yards, 10mph xwind drift under 13" at 600. Not too shabby and better than most.
A 270 can't even keep pace with Short Action performance.

Hint................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 270 can't even keep pace with Short Action performance.

Hint................

[Linked Image]

I won't tell that to the critters if you don't

[Linked Image]

Anywho, I've found no matter what you use, it typically is one rifle/pistol/bow/crossbow at a time.

It's good to take pleasure in the moment, and make a memory, no matter what is one's endeavor!

Notice the rock in the hog's mouth. That is the way I found him. To me that small detail is memorable.

ya!

GWB
Time & money multiply access to opportunities and the corresponding interest in them.

And we take them. Each venture creates demands on time squeezing current ventures. Most of us will not or cannot, outspend their time left on a daily basis or in the lifespan we have remaining...

Einstein had something to say about it--repeating the same exercise over and over, chasing the same set of narrow parameters for the parameters sake.

What you do, you do for yourself. Like over-eating, relief comes with a large dump.

@OP, No you ain't crazy. Just moving from the "collecting things" phase into the "collecting memories" phase...

Set aside the family heirlooms, and the rifles that I have given to children and grand children who do not have a safe place to store them... I am down to a single LH .22lr that will do everything I need to do. A single LH 12 ga shotgun that will do everything I need to do. I have a single LH centerfire bolt rifle that COULD do everything I need to do. However, am self aware enough to know that I will never willfully get down to one LH centerfire rifle. Am I reducing? Yes. Am I intentionally resisting buying rifles that I find interesting? Yes. However, being realistic, I will never winnow down to one.

As I have said many times before, I like to tinker with firearms. I have multiple projects going at most times. It is what I do as a hobby. And, I am focusing on spending more time shooting and hunting. Middle daughter did not care to shoot while growing up. Last year, she shot her first round of sporting clays at a company outing. Found out she kinda likes it. One of my projects for the past year has been setting up a 20 ga Rem 11-87 to fit her. Gave it to her as a B-Day present at the end of her company shoot last week.

No need to get down to one and only one CF rifle. However, at the stage in my life where collecting additional memories to go with the firearms is more important than collecting additional firearms.
[quote=Dogshooter

.........My answer has been the same in every instance..... Tikka 6.5 Creed and a case of Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo.

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my own advice?
............/ .........../

I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench.

... am I totally out of my gourd? Except for the .270 thing....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT from your OP. " ALL OF IT ". grin

Later, " Well not ALL "....... regerts already setting in. lol

SO WHICH is it ?

Someone else said, "Take it easy, use the brown bag, breathe In, Exhale, breathe In, Exhale"
Yep you're hyperventilating !!! laugh laugh
Anxiety O D grin

Jerry
Kchuntis,

People who "know" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions...rather than giving "answers".

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint..................

I told you already. If I want your opinion I will give it to you.
Kchuntis,

You are simply too fhuqking Stupidity,to quantify just how fhuqking STUPID you are. Hint. Congratulations?!?

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart for the oblivious HILARITY,of you doing your best.

LAUGHING!

Hint.............
Whatever you say. As long as you think you're right loser. BTW how's the liver?
270 is great for hunting. Not so much for impressing people on the internet though.
You can do Antelope deer moose elk even coyotes at normal hunting ranges. What else can you ask for? is it the best out there? No, there are better ones out there but it can easily do. Not exactly a 30-30 here.

Kchuntis,

You are simply too fhuqking Stupidity,to quantify just how fhuqking STUPID you are. Hint. Congratulations?!?

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart for the oblivious HILARITY,of you doing your best.

LAUGHING!

Hint.............
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
270 is great for hunting. Not so much for impressing people on the internet though.

True....it fills the pot and stirs it better than most.

Absolutely, as do a whole host of other cartridges/calibers. I simply do not obsess over a few 100ths of BC, or small differences in mils/moa of drop or drift at distances I will never ever shoot at live animals.

Your not crazy. I am working on downsizing my reloading room first but I am finding it is getting bigger before getting smaller.
The less you "know",the "better" a 270 is. Congratulationsa?!?

Hint...............
None of the old cartridges stopped working just because a new flavor of the month came around. New cartridges just mean more choices.

Stupid is never smart.

Hint.............
I don't understand this downsizing concept? why? what's the purpose?

Hint...............

We could say the same thing about you and having sex with the opposite sex. When that rarely happens for you that is.
This is my personal opinion friend! Ive sold most of my rifles except for three. I'm keeping my reloading equipment and a good store of bullets and powder in fact enouph to last a lifetime. There are those out there who mean to take gun related things away from us and if ammo is ever not available at the store I can make it in my basement. We may very well be one election away from feeling the squeeze.

What ever you do take care and don't let the midlife crisis get you down

Trystan
Originally Posted by Fotis

Hint...............

We could say the same thing about you and having sex with the opposite sex. When that rarely happens for you that is.

Kchuntis,

Your proclivities tell all. Congratulations?!?

bless your heart.

LAUGHING!

Hint.................
geedubya -

Nice rifles, as always!

It is unfortunate that the "Ignore" feature fails when those ignored are quoted.

If external ballistics were the only thing that determines the "performance" of a cartridge, then the .270 Win cannot keep up with the .270 WSM. But how do you measure "performance"? Turns out there is more than one way.

The choice of a .270 Winchester for Daughter #1 was based on multiple criteria and external ballistics was only one factor. Since she doesn't handload, factory ammo cost, variety and availability were all factors and the .270 Winchester wins in all three cases. Midwayusa lists 45 types of .270 Winchester ammo as available but only 10 for the .270 WSM. Ammo for the .270 Winchester starts at $14.99 vs $32.99 for the .270 WSM. Big win for the .270 Winchester.

Although she practices out to 600 yards, her range time is limited and her comfort range is 400 yards. One of my goals was a cartridge that would retain 2000fps and 1500fpe at 600 yards. The .270 Winchester/2912fps ABLR handload she shoots maintains 2000fps past 800 yards and 1500fpe past 700 yards at 7000 feet, where we do most of our hunting. Winchester has a 150g ABLR load listed at 2900fps, which should perform the same. Moreover, it does it with about 22% less recoil than the .270WSM Winchester 150g factory load that is rated at 3120fps. Daughter #1 is rather petite and, although she has shot magnums of various flavors (she killed her mulie buck last year with a .300WSM), she is not fan of unnecessary recoil. On the basis that there is little advantage to exceeding the desired specification, especially if doing so entails negative factors, this is a significant win for the .270 Winchester.

I've never cared much about cartridge "efficiency", but as long as I'm handloading for my daughter, I prefer to use as little of my powder as possible and the 150g ABLR load uses only 52.0g (H100V). Full power WSM loads require 59-69g of powder. I suppose I could download a WSM but then any advantage in external ballistics would vanish. A minor thing, but still another win for the .270 Winchester.

Since I'm reloading for my daughter, brass cost makes a difference. Winchester 270 WSM brass commands a $11 premium over .270 Winchester brass at Cabelas and Hornady .270WSM has a $20 premium. Never mind that .270 Winchester brass is available just about everywhere reloading components are sold while .270 WSM brass is much less likely to be on the shelf. Yet another win for the .270 Winchester.

For doing the things Daughter #1 and I want her rifle to do, the .270 Winchester was an easy pick - it was the .270 WSM that couldn't keep up.
It takes a lot of shooting talent to overcome all the pitfalls of a 270, Daughter #1 must be quite talented.

It’s not called a 270 “Win” for nothing....
It takes a lot of shooting talent to overcome all the pitfalls of a 270, Daughter #1 must be quite talented.

We know the bullets will just bounce off, but we figure she can shoot the elk 3-4 times to make up for the deficiency. smile
It is unfortunate that the "Ignore" feature fails when those ignored are quoted.

agree 100%

It is funny how a lot of practice with an individual rifle/cartridge combination overcomes a lot of minutiae, fairy dust, and small physics advantages at normal ranges.

Most people would be well served to sell off a bunch of stuff and spend that time and energy practicing with a few rifle they have left. I do not own a hunting rifle that has not had a bunch of rounds sent downrange.
Beware of a man with 1 gun, he knows how to use it! Hunting stories are always more interesting!
If I had one rifle I would have to replace the barrel every year.....
Originally Posted by irfubar

Then you need two, one to shoot while other is getting a new barrel. cool

Damn..... y’all have some serious reading comprehension issues.

This ain’t a 1-gun thread.....

This is an “I’m tired of reloading, and all the minutia around rifle loonyism” thread.

An accurate rimfire, a quick-twisted AR, a solid big game rifle (running factory loads), a pump 12ga, and a G19.... that’s where I’m headed.... and I’m convinced it’s not a crazy thing to do.

What bases does that not cover..... aside from satisfying a guy’s loonyism?

I’ve got other things to tinker with.... other hobbies to enjoy... and children who are getting older and developing interests and hobbies of their own that I’d like to be involved in. Nobody has infinite time or money (unless you’re ‘stick).... it’s all about resource allocation.

This is an “I’m tired of reloading, and all the minutia around rifle loonyism” thread.

An accurate rimfire, a quick-twisted AR, a solid big game rifle (running factory loads), a pump 12ga, and a G19.... that’s where I’m headed.... and I’m convinced it’s not a crazy thing to do.

I’ve got other things to tinker with.... other hobbies to enjoy... and children who are getting older and developing interests and hobbies of their own that I’d like to be involved in. Nobody has infinite time or money (unless you’re ‘stick).... it’s all about resource allocation.

As the whole point is killing! Simplified and streamlined Arsenal’s leave more money for tags travel and mounts.
Don’t Sell the good stuff life may switch back soon. I have storage.
Want 2 Sell....Used rifles and scopes.

Well maintained, with some signs of use from being dropped from a couch.

Optics track great, but ”blems and sorry’s” are evident from “see above”.

Will consider part trade for a 270 Win in good condition.

Spa gift certificates or old subscriptions to GQ magazine are considered cash.

Thanks,

Dogshooter

😎
[quote=Dogshooter

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my
I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you said all except 1. grin
Confused are you ? confused

Jerry
All except one big game rifle.... and ALL the reloading stuff.

Confused.... are you?
i can sell a rifle to make room for the 6 creed....

Confused.... are you?

I'm not the brightest at reading comprehension and I still did not get the slightest inclination of the conclusion/confusion "JERRY" came to!

I had to learn the hard way to not question fellow campfire members motives. Jerry will likely learn the same lesson I did "or" he will die a stubborn old opinionated sumbitch that still can't read

I respect what your saying Dogshooter and the fact that you decided to share it with the campfire community. In fact just about everyone appreciates it!

Trystan

You need to add an S&W Airweight and maybe a Bodyguard. Ya gotta be properly dressed. Don't you have any fashion sense?
Dogshooter, the biggest hurdle is getting your $$ out of guns right now. Or even close. Be prepared to take less than what you'd hoped. Other than that, I'd say you're spot on.

Well certainly my reading comprehension is always in question..... but not this time... again if I had one big game rifle I would have to replace the barrel every year......... comprende' ?

You and 16 bore should start a club..... then you can get on a high horse and pretend you have superior powers of deduction...... smile

In the meantime I am going to embrace my addiction and accumulate more until I die... ha

I definitely ain’t one gun...1 BG rifle. Couple shotguns and several pistols....pair of 243’s and a pair of 10/22’s. They get shot the most with the kiddos. Would like to add Beretta A400 20 or 28.

Getting out of handloading was like taking a big crap then finding a pile of spare time and money. Kids sports, family, gym, playing a little more golf, biking, beach, beach, travel, yadda, yadda...did I mention beach?

Not sure how high the horse is, never measured, but supposed to go ride it on the beach sometime this fall...

So bored....
Well Mr. 16 bore if the choice is beach or reloading... ya choose the beach......

The money saving aspect is interesting though.... hmmm always thought reloads were cheaper than factory loads? and yes I am aware of the argument reloading will not save you money you will just shoot more... isn't that the whole idea?

It's not like wasting money on women and booze........something I strongly advocate...... and the hi horse thing was kinda harsh.. sorry
When I went down the competitive pistol rabbit hole...reloading was a must because they didn’t make factory major 38 Super. Then onto 40 S&W. Lotsa rules changed since those days and a fella with a G34 and bucket of ammo has little to monkey with. Same as a fella with a 1:8 223 Tikka and another bucket of 75’s.

90% return on 20% effort.

Handloading rifles certainly lets you learn the guts of ammo...but never bought me more time to do anything and nickels and dimes you to death. Don’t miss it one bit.

That’s my deal though...
Second longest shot on a elk was 270, 18 years old up crim crick outta pe ell, 130 core lok, 1 and done..... it didn’t fuuck me in the azz afterwards eitherw... non gay 270???? Dunno but they seem to work...
A lot depends too on whats available as to "opportunities". For example, I live up in SL Valley, so I have to drive from 15 (closest) to 25 miles (furthest) to an outdoor rifle range. Only the furthest one in which I can set up a chronograph. There is a close underground rifle range...$20 for a short hour! I have to drive 50 miles to a place to shoot out in the desert. I have to drive 100 miles one way to get into coyotes or mule deer/elk. And I'm not getting into the mule deer/elk if I draw out on a limited set of tags/dates. I did break down and book a cow elk hunt for next winter, but its been 17yrs since my last elk hunt! Colorado, WY, Montana, Idaho all have high dollar Non Resident licenses, though WY is still a great place for me to go shoot prairie dogs, but all the boys are grown now. When I lived in Texas I belonged to a hunting club which was about an hours drive away. I could shoot varmints/snakes, etc during the summer, had a long deer season with several tags...but no elk/mule deer, ha. Had to drive 35 miles to a decent gun range even down there as Texas is mostly private land. So, there is no free lunch. Make hay while the sun shines....:)
I eventually want to get down to 4 big game rifles and one 22. Shotguns, I have more then I ever need or use but I won't sell any one of them.
Pardon me not killin many elk.... grin

But a 270 seems to work alright
Second longest shot on a elk was 270, 18 years old up crim crick outta pe ell, 130 core lok, 1 and done..... it didn’t fuuck me in the azz afterwards eitherw... non gay 270???? Dunno but they seem to work...

They aren’t sexy but they sure do work huh Jud!
It'll be interesting when this same type of thread shows up in the Knife forum..........how many knives do we really need? smile
Originally Posted by beretzs

They aren’t sexy but they sure do work huh Jud!

Yes brother, they just make meat.... you’d probably puke at the amount of ghosts I made with a 700 bdl 300 win mag... leupold, 180 Hornady SP.... haha

This is God’s country!!! Google it!!! Grin

What are you going to shoot in the next big ammo/component shortage? Do you think there won't be another one? I'll bet you wish you still had your press, cases, 25lb of powder etc etc etc.

How quickly people forget.
Dogshooter,

No you are not crazy. If you think that is what is right for you and your family from a time and financial perspective at this moment, by all means, do it.

What I was trying to get across in my original post is, life can be like the tides, up then down. I have gone through periods in my life where I did not have the time to spend on looneyism. When that happened I focused on the stuff that was important.

The looneyism was always there, but it never haunted me. I enjoyed it immensely when I had the spare time.

I am now at a point where I am going to be able to spend more time on the looneyism if I want.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
It'll be interesting when this same type of thread shows up in the Knife forum..........how many knives do we really need? smile

I cleaned that mess up too....

Originally Posted by Elvis

What are you going to shoot in the next big ammo/component shortage? Do you think there won't be another one? I'll bet you wish you still had your press, cases, 25lb of powder etc etc etc.

Never could find 22LR components or dies so I stocked up on factory ammo. Can’t ever remember not finding 270 ammo, but brass disappeared.
270 is the easiest brass to make...
If a 06 is around, it’s perty easy...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dogshooter, the biggest hurdle is getting your $$ out of guns right now. Or even close. Be prepared to take less than what you'd hoped. Other than that, I'd say you're spot on.

Yes especially custom wares.....

I'm not greedy, I give a lot to my ol man and pards.... grin

I'm not greedy, I give a lot to my ol man and pards.... grin

[Linked Image]

I figure, like with rifles, I'm just one away from being satisfied!

ya!

GWB

Let’s see.... I’ll still shoot the schitt out of the rimfire.... there’s about 50,000 rounds in the garage.

At the rate I’ve been shooting.... a case of ammo will last me 4-5 years. I’ve got some pretty solid hook-ups in the industry, so at the first sight of another “shortage”... I buy another case... or two.

I’ve also got about 2 dozen pards with reloading gear that I bet I could bum for a case of cheap beer.

Originally Posted by jackmountain

Already got what I was in the 6 Creed.... and the 7 Mag stayed in the family.... just incase I ever decide I want it back. I also just got back an old M70 .30-06 I had totally forgotten I’d loaned out (to my BIL). I’ll keep that rifle in the closet, Incase the SHTF, or someone else needs a loaner. Some of the loading stuff is already gone too.... I feel lighter already. I got out of custom rigs years ago.... most of my stuff is factory, or semi-custom... all bought/built for dimes on the dollar.... again, it helps to have connections.

Thinking I may go Fieldcraft 7/08 or Creed.... still trying to decide. Or.... maybe a pair of 6.5 Creeds... one for me, the other for my son who turns 12 this year and just drew his first Mule deer buck tag.... he’ll probably have a buck Antelope tag in WY too.... he could shoot that rifle forever, at pert’near everything.
Josh quick question off subject, is there any Otc rifle deer tags in Colorado?
Nope.... there’s typically some leftovers, or tags that get turned back in.... but it’s tough for you out-of-State guys to pick them up online or over the phone.

That being said.... my brother and another pard drew 4th Season buck tags on 0 points.... they drew 3rd Season last year.... also on 0 points. Another pard drew his second 3rd season tag in a row, both on 0 points..... and my son drew 3rd Season on 0 points.

If I’ve got more than 1 deer or elk point.... I screwed up.

I feel bad for guys who have 5-10 points.... that’s kind of no-man’s-land. Too many to burn on areas you can draw with 0/1 point.... and not nearly enough to catch up to the creep in “trophy” areas.

The deer populations and maturity levels in Colorado seem to be getting better and better over the past couple of years. There’s quality critters in about every unit in the state.

Shoot me a text.... I’ll give you the breakdown on where we’re at....

These pics were taken on the same day, about 2 miles apart .... on the Monday between 3rd and 4th Season..... in the unit that my pards all drew on 0 points.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Copy, excited for your boy!! Guess we're pretty lucky to be able to hunt blacktail, whitetail, and muleys otc, though the whitetail and muley isn't the consistent quality you got. Never hunted/applied Colorado before, May have to scratch that itch someday... thank you for the offer!!
Yep... WA is a cool place, three kinds of deer and two kinds of elk. I’ve killed both Whitetail and Blacktail in WA... I’ll be back up there the last week of October to chase blacktail and bears again up by Baker.
Well shiit, gonna be in Arizona last week of October chasing coues, like to have ya down for a day or 2 next time...
You're choice of dates for bucks is $$$$, especially the last 3 days, never seen a bear past mid October here, but don't pay much attention or concentrate on em either...
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I eventually want to get down to 4 big game rifles and one 22. Shotguns, I have more then I ever need or use but I won't sell any one of them.

Flip side of the coin. I have three shotguns- a Remington 870 , an Iver Johnson Firearms and Bicycle Works break-open my maternal Granddad had when he married Grandma in 1921, and a double barrel of Chinese extraction that I bought for wife to use for home defense. Rarely shoot any of them but don't really care as I'm not an active bird hunter and haven't been for nearly two decades.

Rifles, I have quite a few, including 3 AR types (Wylde, .300 BLK and .308 Win)I don't shoot because I hate brass catchers and chasing brass. No plans to get rid of any of them for a while (years) and in fact am working on a Savage refinish and rebarrel. Don't have time to shoot them all and don't even try. The best I can do is cycle through a couple every hunting season and take extras along during practice sessions.

Have a bunch of handguns. Like the rifles and shotguns, I don't have time to shoot them all.

Someone mentioned getting what you want of the guns they are getting rid of. Most of mine will go to my girls and grandkids. In any case, I've had my fun with each of them and have been well recompensed for the price of admission. smile
Kids, golf, biking and the beach would all get in the way of my handloading time and money.
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.
You can’t slow time or make more of it. Kids are kids once. Everyone’s got their “thing”....
You can’t slow time or make more of it. Kids are kids once. Everyone’s got their “thing”....

No time like the present to make a memory!

Ask me how I know!

ya!

GWB
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.

Yep, sure ain't like when we were kids is it? Busy busy when both parents are working full time... It'll get better when one of your kids gets their drivers license!!!! 😂

Picked up another brick of .22 short yesterday, giving me 2,000 rounds on the shelf. To that you can add about 14,000 rounds of .22LR and .22WM. Can't say how many thousands of bullets and empty cases are in my reloading room, but thre are a lot. And, at a recent count, there was about 80 pounds of powder and about 20,000 primers.

During the last shortage it took me 3 months to get the components or ammo I needed for a .380 PPK I purchased. Bricks of .22 were going for as much as $150 each, asking price, and I saw a Dad buy one for $125 so he could take his son shooting. I found myself shooting most stuff very conservatively during the shortage and that sucked. My plans are to continue to purchase components and .22 shorts when I find them at good prices, and maybe even loaded .223/5.56, 9mm and .45ACP in bulk when the prices are right..

Confused.... are you?

D s, no I wasn’t confused. That ^^^^ is what I thot you meant ! really.

May be a little trouble w/semantics.

For clarity & the record.

I don’t have any problem w/You and like your postS. I’ m glad to exchange ideas and PIX
w/you. Don’t let someone else inject their MISunderstanding on US.

Thnx

Jerry

Yep, sure ain't like when we were kids is it? Busy busy when both parents are working full time... It'll get better when one of your kids gets their drivers license!!!! 😂

Better, maybe, but then grandkids come along. Spent this last weekend helping a Daughter pack up to move, will help her next weekend unloading. I travel almost every week and haven't had a free weekend in longer than I can recall. Helping the kids with their home improvements, various activities with the grandkids, no end in sight until mid-August. At least then my wife and I are planning some stuff for us - a vacation to SW Colorado (Alpine loop on ATVs), a week-plus fishing in Canada in September, Wyoming antelope hunting on October (a family affair, grandkids included) and two weeks elk hunting in November.

May not get to shoot as often as I would like but the guns will keep.

Ain’t that the truth....lotsa parents I know say “well, at least they are outside and not on the phuqqin phone”

It appears you have your priorities right, so kudos to you for that. That other stuff will be there when the kids are grown and gone. Hunting/shooting/ etc has never been my identity, just a hobby that I love.
Damn! Cant a guy own several guns, do a little reloading and shooting and have a family too? or is family life so all consuming that you have to forsake everything else? 😳.......Hb
Yeah, pretty much. Both parents work M-F, somebody’s got a practice or two. Rush home for dinner, homework, house work. If you can get the family around a dinner table it’s a bonus. Usually a game on Saturday...possibly one of those 3 or 4 game two-day tournaments if a kid is doing travel. Church on Sunday and by time you’re home it’s time to get ready for the next week. Throw in a few holidays, date or two a month with your lady, some sort of family vacation...buying groceries, cutting grass, kids sleepovers, maybe a cookout, then the extended family, grandparents.

Lord help you of you’re a single parent.....even more if you’re dating a single parent, because you can take all that and multiply it times 2 and worse if one of the ex spouses is an ass.

So yeah, an empty rained out afternoon, coupla boxes of 22LR and a box of Corlokts and some range time for a few hours feels like you’ve won the phuqqin lottery. Not to mention that it becomes an easy pass if your honey wants to curl up on the couch for a spell....

Just some perspective from the trenches......life is good.
Yeah, pretty much. Both parents work M-F, somebody’s got a practice or two. Rush home for dinner, homework, house work. If you can get the family around a dinner table it’s a bonus. Usually a game on Saturday...possibly one of those 3 or 4 game two-day tournaments if a kid is doing travel. Church on Sunday and by time you’re home it’s time to get ready for the next week. Throw in a few holidays, date or two a month with your lady, some sort of family vacation...buying groceries, cutting grass, kids sleepovers, maybe a cookout, then the extended family, grandparents.

Lord help you of you’re a single parent.....even more if you’re dating a single parent, because you can take all that and multiply it times 2 and worse if one of the ex spouses is an ass.

So yeah, an empty rained out afternoon, coupla boxes of 22LR and a box of Corlokts and some range time for a few hours feels like you’ve won the phuqqin lottery. Not to mention that it becomes an easy pass if your honey wants to curl up on the couch for a spell....

Just some perspective from the trenches......life is good.

Damn 16! That dont sound much like heaven to Me more like hell 😂😂......Hb
16, that's why I quit bowhuntin elk, used to live for, then the kiddos started playing soccer, football and my September's were shot. Love it now, seems like I got all the time in the world!! Time to get a new mathews!!!😁
[quote=Dogshooter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
---------------------------------------------------

Very Nice Poses

Jerry
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn! Cant a guy own several guns, do a little reloading and shooting and have a family too? or is family life so all consuming that you have to forsake everything else? 😳.......Hb

You can have both but maybe not as much of one as you would without the other.

All three of my daughters like to shoot, two hunt and the other likes to go along. All three SILs hunt. Looking forward to starting the grandkids shooting in a year or so.

Like most things, a happy balance is a good thing.

16, B T D T, sometimes Time Management ain't easy..

Well at 69, boys grown and gone. 3 G Kids not very close in proximity.

I guess O A (old age) has some perks!
Lifetime Fishing and Hunting License - includes archery/trapping/muzzleloading/ Modern Guns.

Life is good for us old pharts! I 'sincerely' hope y'all live long enuff to enjoy it.

Jerry
A 6.5 cm with 143 horns works from 0-500 and is real neat. What happens if led gets banned? The small cases at modest velocities work real nice with high BC lead bullets but they lack the horsepower to push monos fast enough with a high enough BC for longer distance. I shoot the 127 lrx in my 6.5x47 at 2920fps and that sure isn't as nice as shooting the 143 eldx and if the mono was all I had I'd not be happy with it as a do all 0-500 package. I think the 143 eldx makes sense in the smaller 6.5s as long as you can hunt with it and the idea of one rifle works. If you have to use monos I feel like you need a bigger case if you are looking for one rifle only.
Originally Posted by kman
A 6.5 cm with 143 horns works from 0-500 and is real neat. What happens if led gets banned? The small cases at modest velocities work real nice with high BC lead bullets but they lack the horsepower to push monos fast enough with a high enough BC for longer distance. I shoot the 127 lrx in my 6.5x47 at 2920fps and that sure isn't as nice as shooting the 143 eldx and if the mono was all I had I'd not be happy with it as a do all 0-500 package. I think the 143 eldx makes sense in the smaller 6.5s as long as you can hunt with it and the idea of one rifle works. If you have to use monos I feel like you need a bigger case if you are looking for one rifle only.

I watched my son pole-axe a cow elk at a little over 500 last fall.... with a 127 LRX launched at 2800 (via 20” .260). That same bullet flattened a couple Mule Deer and an antelope buck too. No flies on the 127 at 2800.... and Double Tap makes factory 127 loads for the Creed.

But hey.... it’s the Campfire.... where theory trumps actual field experience.
That 129 LRX @ 3,100 shouldn’t be shabby outta your 270 either.

In theory.
Little cases with high BC lead bullets at moderate speed work. Little cases with lower BC copper bullets at slightly less moderate speed work less well. When stuck with only copper bullets, a moderate case is less appealing as a one gun solution.

I'm not sure what theory you are referring too, I shoot a 6.5 and some bullets work better at longer ranges than others on Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta whitetail for example.

You said you recommend a 6.5 cm with a bunch of 143 eldx factory over and over and it's what you'd consider as well. That's a great package. Recommending a 6.5cm with 127lrx is less appealing since we all know monos like speed, which the small 6.5s don't have
Dogshooter - you're smart as all get out - or maybe we both are.

I've determined to cull my rifles down to a very few, the main hunting rifle being a 30-06 Rem 700 CDL that has taken elk, pronghorn, mule deer, black bear, wolf and grizzly.

Apparently there's not much in North America that it can't handle.

So ya, bit by bit I'm getting rid of the collection. Not all of it, but most of it.

Enjoy your hunting. I'm sure you, and I, will. Despite the great reduction in inventory.

Regards, Guy
I just took delivery of some 129 LRX's for my 270's. Looking forward to playing with them. Maybe this summer, maybe not. Will see how the time management works out.

All bets are off when hunting season hits. I am a hunter first, rifle guy second. I cannot remember a time not wanting to be a hunter or out hunting. Hunter can be my identity, because that is what I am. Along with professional, family man, environmentalist and many other things.

I remember well the days of band and choir concerts, football games, track meets, soccer games, etc. But we always found time to hunt, camp, and shoot. My social involvement is what took a hit, volunteering and political involvement went down the drain.
You said you recommend a 6.5 cm with a bunch of 143 eldx factory over and over and it's what you'd consider as well. That's a great package. Recommending a 6.5cm with 127lrx is less appealing since we all know monos like speed, which the small 6.5s don't have

Do you have any actual experience with the 127 at Creed speeds?

Or..... are you just spouting theory?

I do have actual experience with the bullet you’re talking about... at the velocity you’re talking about... at close range... and at 500+. Everything that bullet has touched went down immediately.... with two holes in it. But that’s only Deer, Elk, and Antelope.... what am I missing?

Do you have any actual experience with the 127 at Creed speeds?

Or..... are you just spouting theory?

I do have actual experience with the bullet you’re talking about... at the velocity you’re talking about... at close range... and at 500+. Everything that bullet has touched went down immediately.... with two holes in it. But that’s only Deer, Elk, and Antelope.... what am I missing?

I shoot the 6.5x47 lapua, which does what the 260, 6.5x55 and 6.5cm do. I have killed Canadian whitetail in three provinces with the 127lrx, 129 lrab and 143 eldx. Monos do not kill as well as eldx et al. once they slow down...what am I missing?
Oooooopsie!

Laughing!................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Monos do not kill as well as eldx et al. once they slow down...what am I missing?

Over the past five or six years I’ve seen game up to elk killed with the .260 and Creed.... running 123 Scenars, 123 Amax, 127 LRX, 130 Accubond, 130 VLD-H, 139 Scenar, 140 Amax, 143 ELDX, and 147 ELD.... at ranges from 30 yards to 600+. I’ve got enough experience with the 143 to know it’s not nearly the elk bullet that the 127, or even the 139 Scenar is.

The 127 LRX at 2800fps is a killin sum’bitch..... it works just as well as any 6.5 bullet I’ve seen on game.... and better than most. Hell.... I’ve shot a dozen or so coyotes with them... some at better than a 1/4 mile.... none of them have taken a step.... and I’ve seen that same bullet go through 3+ feet of 650lb cow elk.... and exit. EVERYTHING I’ve seen shot with a LRX died right now.

What you’re missing.... is the fact that I’m not guessing here...
Monos do not kill as well as eldx et al. once they slow down...what am I missing?

Over the past five or six years I’ve seen game up to elk killed with the .260 and Creed.... running 123 Scenars, 123 Amax, 127 LRX, 130 Accubond, 130 VLD-H, 139 Scenar, 140 Amax, 143 ELDX, and 147 ELD.... at ranges from 30 yards to 600+. I’ve got enough experience with the 143 to know it’s not nearly the elk bullet that the 127, or even the 139 Scenar is.

The 127 LRX at 2800fps is a killin sum’bitch..... it works just as well as any 6.5 bullet I’ve seen on game.... and better than most. Hell.... I’ve shot a dozen or so coyotes with them... some at better than a 1/4 mile.... none of them have taken a step.... and I’ve seen that same bullet go through 3+ feet of 650lb cow elk.... and exit. EVERYTHING I’ve seen shot with a LRX died right now.

That's a good story. A big game animal shot double lung with a 127 lrx going ~1900 fps doesnt die right now.
Break axles...instead of popping balloons.

Hint...................

That's a good story. A big game animal shot double lung with a 127 lrx going ~1900 fps doesnt die right now.

Bull fuggin schitt.... it went down so fast, it bounced. Bullet entered at the last rib.... and exited in front of the off shoulder. I didn’t realize you where there when Benjamin shot that elk....

Might wanna reconsider who you’re calling a liar....
Break axles...instead of popping balloons.

Hint...................

Here’s the front axle of a bull I shot with a 140 TTSX via 18” 7/08.... impact velocity would have been 2450ish.... bull went 20 yards or so....

Those monos at lower velocities sure do suck.... laffin....

[Linked Image]

Dude ..
Greg, he’s serious!!!! 🤣🤣
Oh Schitt...... an elk just reassembled itself and jumped outta my freezer....
Llama Bob reassembled his dumbasss too as kman evidently.
One thing to keep in mind, is that the LRX has a specified 1600 fps minimum expansion velocity. That means that it'll expand and perform when shot from standard velocity cartridges about as well as the TTSX does from magnums...

SNIP Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

SNIP...... am I totally out of my gourd?

For years, I've been telling people that all they need as a stainless/synthetic 308, 30-06 or 270 and a good 3-9 variable. Finally, I took that advice myself and thinned the herd to a pair of 30-06s, a 308, and a 7 Mag. I'm amazed at how much more time I have for things like going to the range, scouting, etc.

Okie John
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
One thing to keep in mind, is that the LRX has a specified 1600 fps minimum expansion velocity. That means that it'll expand and perform when shot from standard velocity cartridges about as well as the TTSX does from magnums...

Whoa man.... no need to confuse the discussion with the interjection of facts and empirical evidence.
Hey, he's shot deer in 3 provinces with 3 different bullet. He knows more 'n what he's talkin' 'bout...
Originally Posted by okie john

SNIP Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

SNIP...... am I totally out of my gourd?

For years, I've been telling people that all they need as a stainless/synthetic 308, 30-06 or 270 and a good 3-9 variable. Finally, I took that advice myself and thinned the herd to a pair of 30-06s, a 308, and a 7 Mag. I'm amazed at how much more time I have for things like going to the range, scouting, etc.

Okie John

The girlfriend / kid rifle conundrum......
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Hey, he's shot deer in 3 provinces with 3 different bullet. He knows more 'n what he's talkin' 'bout...

Haha 🤣🤣🤣
It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Bullets still matter more than headstamps.

Hint.................
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Keep any two and ditch the others. You won't lose anything in capability and you'll have even more time for those other things. smile
It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Bullets still matter more than headstamps.

Hint.................

Still? Phuque , im impatient here.
indoors,

You are simply a Stupid CLUELESS Fhuqk. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint..........
indoors,

You are simply a Stupid CLUELESS Fhuqk. Congratulations?!?

Hint..........

Broke dihk ,

Try again. Youre out of replies.
indoors,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Congratulations?!?

Hint.................
© 24hourcampfire