Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.

Yep, sure ain't like when we were kids is it? Busy busy when both parents are working full time... It'll get better when one of your kids gets their drivers license!!!! 😂

Better, maybe, but then grandkids come along. Spent this last weekend helping a Daughter pack up to move, will help her next weekend unloading. I travel almost every week and haven't had a free weekend in longer than I can recall. Helping the kids with their home improvements, various activities with the grandkids, no end in sight until mid-August. At least then my wife and I are planning some stuff for us - a vacation to SW Colorado (Alpine loop on ATVs), a week-plus fishing in Canada in September, Wyoming antelope hunting on October (a family affair, grandkids included) and two weeks elk hunting in November.

May not get to shoot as often as I would like but the guns will keep.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.

Yep, sure ain't like when we were kids is it? Busy busy when both parents are working full time... It'll get better when one of your kids gets their drivers license!!!! 😂

Ain’t that the truth....lotsa parents I know say “well, at least they are outside and not on the phuqqin phone”

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

It appears you have your priorities right, so kudos to you for that. That other stuff will be there when the kids are grown and gone. Hunting/shooting/ etc has never been my identity, just a hobby that I love.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! Cant a guy own several guns, do a little reloading and shooting and have a family too? or is family life so all consuming that you have to forsake everything else? 😳.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, pretty much. Both parents work M-F, somebody’s got a practice or two. Rush home for dinner, homework, house work. If you can get the family around a dinner table it’s a bonus. Usually a game on Saturday...possibly one of those 3 or 4 game two-day tournaments if a kid is doing travel. Church on Sunday and by time you’re home it’s time to get ready for the next week. Throw in a few holidays, date or two a month with your lady, some sort of family vacation...buying groceries, cutting grass, kids sleepovers, maybe a cookout, then the extended family, grandparents.

Lord help you of you’re a single parent.....even more if you’re dating a single parent, because you can take all that and multiply it times 2 and worse if one of the ex spouses is an ass.

So yeah, an empty rained out afternoon, coupla boxes of 22LR and a box of Corlokts and some range time for a few hours feels like you’ve won the phuqqin lottery. Not to mention that it becomes an easy pass if your honey wants to curl up on the couch for a spell....

Just some perspective from the trenches......life is good.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore
Yeah, pretty much. Both parents work M-F, somebody’s got a practice or two. Rush home for dinner, homework, house work. If you can get the family around a dinner table it’s a bonus. Usually a game on Saturday...possibly one of those 3 or 4 game two-day tournaments if a kid is doing travel. Church on Sunday and by time you’re home it’s time to get ready for the next week. Throw in a few holidays, date or two a month with your lady, some sort of family vacation...buying groceries, cutting grass, kids sleepovers, maybe a cookout, then the extended family, grandparents.

Lord help you of you’re a single parent.....even more if you’re dating a single parent, because you can take all that and multiply it times 2 and worse if one of the ex spouses is an ass.

So yeah, an empty rained out afternoon, coupla boxes of 22LR and a box of Corlokts and some range time for a few hours feels like you’ve won the phuqqin lottery. Not to mention that it becomes an easy pass if your honey wants to curl up on the couch for a spell....

Just some perspective from the trenches......life is good.

Damn 16! That dont sound much like heaven to Me more like hell 😂😂......Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
16, that's why I quit bowhuntin elk, used to live for, then the kiddos started playing soccer, football and my September's were shot. Love it now, seems like I got all the time in the world!! Time to get a new mathews!!!😁

Last edited by Judman; 06/10/19.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Dogshooter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
---------------------------------------------------

Very Nice Poses

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn! Cant a guy own several guns, do a little reloading and shooting and have a family too? or is family life so all consuming that you have to forsake everything else? 😳.......Hb

You can have both but maybe not as much of one as you would without the other.

All three of my daughters like to shoot, two hunt and the other likes to go along. All three SILs hunt. Looking forward to starting the grandkids shooting in a year or so.

Like most things, a happy balance is a good thing.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore

16, B T D T, sometimes Time Management ain't easy..

Well at 69, boys grown and gone. 3 G Kids not very close in proximity.

I guess O A (old age) has some perks!
Lifetime Fishing and Hunting License - includes archery/trapping/muzzleloading/ Modern Guns.

Life is good for us old pharts! I 'sincerely' hope y'all live long enuff to enjoy it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 6.5 cm with 143 horns works from 0-500 and is real neat. What happens if led gets banned? The small cases at modest velocities work real nice with high BC lead bullets but they lack the horsepower to push monos fast enough with a high enough BC for longer distance. I shoot the 127 lrx in my 6.5x47 at 2920fps and that sure isn't as nice as shooting the 143 eldx and if the mono was all I had I'd not be happy with it as a do all 0-500 package. I think the 143 eldx makes sense in the smaller 6.5s as long as you can hunt with it and the idea of one rifle works. If you have to use monos I feel like you need a bigger case if you are looking for one rifle only.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kman
A 6.5 cm with 143 horns works from 0-500 and is real neat. What happens if led gets banned? The small cases at modest velocities work real nice with high BC lead bullets but they lack the horsepower to push monos fast enough with a high enough BC for longer distance. I shoot the 127 lrx in my 6.5x47 at 2920fps and that sure isn't as nice as shooting the 143 eldx and if the mono was all I had I'd not be happy with it as a do all 0-500 package. I think the 143 eldx makes sense in the smaller 6.5s as long as you can hunt with it and the idea of one rifle works. If you have to use monos I feel like you need a bigger case if you are looking for one rifle only.

I watched my son pole-axe a cow elk at a little over 500 last fall.... with a 127 LRX launched at 2800 (via 20” .260). That same bullet flattened a couple Mule Deer and an antelope buck too. No flies on the 127 at 2800.... and Double Tap makes factory 127 loads for the Creed.

But hey.... it’s the Campfire.... where theory trumps actual field experience.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 129 LRX @ 3,100 shouldn’t be shabby outta your 270 either.

In theory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Little cases with high BC lead bullets at moderate speed work. Little cases with lower BC copper bullets at slightly less moderate speed work less well. When stuck with only copper bullets, a moderate case is less appealing as a one gun solution.

I'm not sure what theory you are referring too, I shoot a 6.5 and some bullets work better at longer ranges than others on Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta whitetail for example.

You said you recommend a 6.5 cm with a bunch of 143 eldx factory over and over and it's what you'd consider as well. That's a great package. Recommending a 6.5cm with 127lrx is less appealing since we all know monos like speed, which the small 6.5s don't have

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dogshooter - you're smart as all get out - or maybe we both are.

I've determined to cull my rifles down to a very few, the main hunting rifle being a 30-06 Rem 700 CDL that has taken elk, pronghorn, mule deer, black bear, wolf and grizzly.

Apparently there's not much in North America that it can't handle.

So ya, bit by bit I'm getting rid of the collection. Not all of it, but most of it.

Enjoy your hunting. I'm sure you, and I, will. Despite the great reduction in inventory.

Regards, Guy

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just took delivery of some 129 LRX's for my 270's. Looking forward to playing with them. Maybe this summer, maybe not. Will see how the time management works out.

All bets are off when hunting season hits. I am a hunter first, rifle guy second. I cannot remember a time not wanting to be a hunter or out hunting. Hunter can be my identity, because that is what I am. Along with professional, family man, environmentalist and many other things.

I remember well the days of band and choir concerts, football games, track meets, soccer games, etc. But we always found time to hunt, camp, and shoot. My social involvement is what took a hit, volunteering and political involvement went down the drain.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
You said you recommend a 6.5 cm with a bunch of 143 eldx factory over and over and it's what you'd consider as well. That's a great package. Recommending a 6.5cm with 127lrx is less appealing since we all know monos like speed, which the small 6.5s don't have

Do you have any actual experience with the 127 at Creed speeds?

Or..... are you just spouting theory?

I do have actual experience with the bullet you’re talking about... at the velocity you’re talking about... at close range... and at 500+. Everything that bullet has touched went down immediately.... with two holes in it. But that’s only Deer, Elk, and Antelope.... what am I missing?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Do you have any actual experience with the 127 at Creed speeds?

Or..... are you just spouting theory?

I do have actual experience with the bullet you’re talking about... at the velocity you’re talking about... at close range... and at 500+. Everything that bullet has touched went down immediately.... with two holes in it. But that’s only Deer, Elk, and Antelope.... what am I missing?

I shoot the 6.5x47 lapua, which does what the 260, 6.5x55 and 6.5cm do. I have killed Canadian whitetail in three provinces with the 127lrx, 129 lrab and 143 eldx. Monos do not kill as well as eldx et al. once they slow down...what am I missing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooooopsie!

Laughing!................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Monos do not kill as well as eldx et al. once they slow down...what am I missing?

Over the past five or six years I’ve seen game up to elk killed with the .260 and Creed.... running 123 Scenars, 123 Amax, 127 LRX, 130 Accubond, 130 VLD-H, 139 Scenar, 140 Amax, 143 ELDX, and 147 ELD.... at ranges from 30 yards to 600+. I’ve got enough experience with the 143 to know it’s not nearly the elk bullet that the 127, or even the 139 Scenar is.

The 127 LRX at 2800fps is a killin sum’bitch..... it works just as well as any 6.5 bullet I’ve seen on game.... and better than most. Hell.... I’ve shot a dozen or so coyotes with them... some at better than a 1/4 mile.... none of them have taken a step.... and I’ve seen that same bullet go through 3+ feet of 650lb cow elk.... and exit. EVERYTHING I’ve seen shot with a LRX died right now.

What you’re missing.... is the fact that I’m not guessing here...

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.