Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
270 is the easiest brass to make...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If a 06 is around, it’s perty easy...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dogshooter, the biggest hurdle is getting your $$ out of guns right now. Or even close. Be prepared to take less than what you'd hoped. Other than that, I'd say you're spot on.

Yes especially custom wares.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
It'll be interesting when this same type of thread shows up in the Knife forum..........how many knives do we really need? smile

I'm not greedy, I give a lot to my ol man and pards.... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
It'll be interesting when this same type of thread shows up in the Knife forum..........how many knives do we really need? smile

I'm not greedy, I give a lot to my ol man and pards.... grin

[Linked Image]

I figure, like with rifles, I'm just one away from being satisfied!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/09/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Elvis

What are you going to shoot in the next big ammo/component shortage? Do you think there won't be another one? I'll bet you wish you still had your press, cases, 25lb of powder etc etc etc.

How quickly people forget.

Let’s see.... I’ll still shoot the schitt out of the rimfire.... there’s about 50,000 rounds in the garage.

At the rate I’ve been shooting.... a case of ammo will last me 4-5 years. I’ve got some pretty solid hook-ups in the industry, so at the first sight of another “shortage”... I buy another case... or two.

I’ve also got about 2 dozen pards with reloading gear that I bet I could bum for a case of cheap beer.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dogshooter, the biggest hurdle is getting your $$ out of guns right now. Or even close. Be prepared to take less than what you'd hoped. Other than that, I'd say you're spot on.

Already got what I was in the 6 Creed.... and the 7 Mag stayed in the family.... just incase I ever decide I want it back. I also just got back an old M70 .30-06 I had totally forgotten I’d loaned out (to my BIL). I’ll keep that rifle in the closet, Incase the SHTF, or someone else needs a loaner. Some of the loading stuff is already gone too.... I feel lighter already. I got out of custom rigs years ago.... most of my stuff is factory, or semi-custom... all bought/built for dimes on the dollar.... again, it helps to have connections.

Thinking I may go Fieldcraft 7/08 or Creed.... still trying to decide. Or.... maybe a pair of 6.5 Creeds... one for me, the other for my son who turns 12 this year and just drew his first Mule deer buck tag.... he’ll probably have a buck Antelope tag in WY too.... he could shoot that rifle forever, at pert’near everything.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Josh quick question off subject, is there any Otc rifle deer tags in Colorado?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Nope.... there’s typically some leftovers, or tags that get turned back in.... but it’s tough for you out-of-State guys to pick them up online or over the phone.

That being said.... my brother and another pard drew 4th Season buck tags on 0 points.... they drew 3rd Season last year.... also on 0 points. Another pard drew his second 3rd season tag in a row, both on 0 points..... and my son drew 3rd Season on 0 points.

If I’ve got more than 1 deer or elk point.... I screwed up.

I feel bad for guys who have 5-10 points.... that’s kind of no-man’s-land. Too many to burn on areas you can draw with 0/1 point.... and not nearly enough to catch up to the creep in “trophy” areas.

The deer populations and maturity levels in Colorado seem to be getting better and better over the past couple of years. There’s quality critters in about every unit in the state.

Shoot me a text.... I’ll give you the breakdown on where we’re at....

These pics were taken on the same day, about 2 miles apart .... on the Monday between 3rd and 4th Season..... in the unit that my pards all drew on 0 points.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy, excited for your boy!! Guess we're pretty lucky to be able to hunt blacktail, whitetail, and muleys otc, though the whitetail and muley isn't the consistent quality you got. Never hunted/applied Colorado before, May have to scratch that itch someday... thank you for the offer!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep... WA is a cool place, three kinds of deer and two kinds of elk. I’ve killed both Whitetail and Blacktail in WA... I’ll be back up there the last week of October to chase blacktail and bears again up by Baker.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well shiit, gonna be in Arizona last week of October chasing coues, like to have ya down for a day or 2 next time...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're choice of dates for bucks is $$$$, especially the last 3 days, never seen a bear past mid October here, but don't pay much attention or concentrate on em either...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I eventually want to get down to 4 big game rifles and one 22. Shotguns, I have more then I ever need or use but I won't sell any one of them.

Flip side of the coin. I have three shotguns- a Remington 870 , an Iver Johnson Firearms and Bicycle Works break-open my maternal Granddad had when he married Grandma in 1921, and a double barrel of Chinese extraction that I bought for wife to use for home defense. Rarely shoot any of them but don't really care as I'm not an active bird hunter and haven't been for nearly two decades.

Rifles, I have quite a few, including 3 AR types (Wylde, .300 BLK and .308 Win)I don't shoot because I hate brass catchers and chasing brass. No plans to get rid of any of them for a while (years) and in fact am working on a Savage refinish and rebarrel. Don't have time to shoot them all and don't even try. The best I can do is cycle through a couple every hunting season and take extras along during practice sessions.

Have a bunch of handguns. Like the rifles and shotguns, I don't have time to shoot them all.

Someone mentioned getting what you want of the guns they are getting rid of. Most of mine will go to my girls and grandkids. In any case, I've had my fun with each of them and have been well recompensed for the price of admission. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Kids, golf, biking and the beach would all get in the way of my handloading time and money.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can’t slow time or make more of it. Kids are kids once. Everyone’s got their “thing”....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
You can’t slow time or make more of it. Kids are kids once. Everyone’s got their “thing”....

No time like the present to make a memory!

Ask me how I know!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/10/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Little League.... Dance Recitals.... Band Concerts... Family Vacations.... Camping/Scouting Trips.... Crit’R Call Business... Dad’s Taxi Service....

I’ll gladly thin the herd, and go to shooting factory ammo to accommodate those things. None of them existed for me 10 years.... or really even 5 years ago.

Yep, sure ain't like when we were kids is it? Busy busy when both parents are working full time... It'll get better when one of your kids gets their drivers license!!!! 😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elvis

What are you going to shoot in the next big ammo/component shortage? Do you think there won't be another one? I'll bet you wish you still had your press, cases, 25lb of powder etc etc etc.

How quickly people forget.

Picked up another brick of .22 short yesterday, giving me 2,000 rounds on the shelf. To that you can add about 14,000 rounds of .22LR and .22WM. Can't say how many thousands of bullets and empty cases are in my reloading room, but thre are a lot. And, at a recent count, there was about 80 pounds of powder and about 20,000 primers.

During the last shortage it took me 3 months to get the components or ammo I needed for a .380 PPK I purchased. Bricks of .22 were going for as much as $150 each, asking price, and I saw a Dad buy one for $125 so he could take his son shooting. I found myself shooting most stuff very conservatively during the shortage and that sucked. My plans are to continue to purchase components and .22 shorts when I find them at good prices, and maybe even loaded .223/5.56, 9mm and .45ACP in bulk when the prices are right..

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
All except one big game rifle.... and ALL the reloading stuff.

Confused.... are you?

D s, no I wasn’t confused. That ^^^^ is what I thot you meant ! really.

May be a little trouble w/semantics.

For clarity & the record.

I don’t have any problem w/You and like your postS. I’ m glad to exchange ideas and PIX
w/you. Don’t let someone else inject their MISunderstanding on US.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,975
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.