Home
I never killed a Yote when hunting them, only when deer hunting. What are the basics on best times of day? Best electronic call for a 100% newbie? Any "Need to Know info" you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

The Yote population in our area is getting ridiculous - howling and yapping and waking up every d@mn dog in the area.. We're out of town - only a few houses and lots of farmland - most of which I can get permission to hunt.

Thanks in advance!!
I am partial to foxpro. They have an excellent sound library, even if you have to pay for them. If you order one from allpredatorcalls you can choose the sounds that gets programmed on it which could save you from getting sounds you won't use.
What state are you in?

Eastern vs. western yote hunting is a bit different.
West TN
I have been successful calling yotes around the clock.

I hunt them in Texas and East Kentucky. I have baited them, sit and watch clearcuts and call with both electronic and manual calls.

The biggest obstacle starting out is realizing just how paranoid yotes are. Keep your profile hidden. They seldom rush in without checking down wind. Especially if they have been called in previously.

E callers, with remotes, make it easier to focus the yote's attention on a spot that you are more likely to be out of the dog's focus.

I can't remember how many times they just seem to appear in the side of my vision, as they sneak in to look for the easy meal.

Don't get call crazy, do a call, wait at least 15 minutes and repeat, then move on.

As an alternative I will set up for yotes that are traveling. Those times I call 2 cycles and wait at least 25-30 minutes before repeating.

If I feel that the yotes are there, but call shy, I will switch to bird or woodpecker in distress for a few cycles.

Always remember that some areas are hunted a lot and you may have to get creative to fool yotes.

Good luck.
Scott, you can't got wrong with anything from Fox Pro. Get you a couple of mouth calls,too. Get some good camo for your area. and pay attention to the wind. A lot of guys on here with much more knowledge on shooting coyotes than I have; I'm sure you'll get some good advice. have fun!
Thanks guys!! Keep em coming
If you youtube Randy Anderson you can find a lot of really good videos on using mouth calls. I have a few of his DVD's and IMO they are some of the best on the market. Most of his hunts are in the midwest though.
for your area I'd check a video called "calling the thick stuff"

What's nice about the east is that you don't have to travel for between stands, and you don't have to sit at stands as long.

I have a CS-24 from foxpro, but that's pretty high end, I started with a John stewart caller using a sony CD player to play rabbit distress calls and was able to kill yotes that way. Then I kicked it up a notch.

The biggest mistake people make with yotes is NOT sneaking in (or being detected). You have to find a route that will let you get there without them knowing your there.

Second is where you make your stand for calling, the yotes will always try to come in down wind at about 45 degrees or so from the wind direction. So you have to get to a place where downwind is exposed an open. Yotes are lazy so I try to find a field that has a lane dumping into it down wind and then put the caller at the edge of the field upwind and start calling.

When you call, take a bipod, dress like you are turkey hunting, and sit with a pine tree or something behind you that you will blend in with. Get your gun setup with it propped up on a bipod so all you have to do is shoulder and lean to engage the yote.

THEN start calling - Rabbit distreess for about 20 seconds the first time, fairly loud. Then keep you eyes peeled, they may come in fast. I wait about 40 seconds and run it again for 20 seconds. Then await again, After 2-3 times I let it run a bit longer but wait longer as well.

Good luck
Originally Posted by FishinHank
If you youtube Randy Anderson you can find a lot of really good videos on using mouth calls. I have a few of his DVD's and IMO they are some of the best on the market. Most of his hunts are in the midwest though.

Thanks! Just finished watching some amazing Utube vid's and am in the bidding on a nice foxpro spitfire with xtra xternal speaker etc. I'm ready to get this going!!
I think I'll start out using my 25.06 and maybe buy a 22.250 if I see this get successful
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
for your area I'd check a video called "calling the thick stuff"

What's nice about the east is that you don't have to travel for between stands, and you don't have to sit at stands as long.

I have a CS-24 from foxpro, but that's pretty high end, I started with a John stewart caller using a sony CD player to play rabbit distress calls and was able to kill yotes that way. Then I kicked it up a notch.

The biggest mistake people make with yotes is NOT sneaking in (or being detected). You have to find a route that will let you get there without them knowing your there.

Second is where you make your stand for calling, the yotes will always try to come in down wind at about 45 degrees or so from the wind direction. So you have to get to a place where downwind is exposed an open. Yotes are lazy so I try to find a field that has a lane dumping into it down wind and then put the caller at the edge of the field upwind and start calling.

When you call, take a bipod, dress like you are turkey hunting, and sit with a pine tree or something behind you that you will blend in with. Get your gun setup with it propped up on a bipod so all you have to do is shoulder and lean to engage the yote.

THEN start calling - Rabbit distreess for about 20 seconds the first time, fairly loud. Then keep you eyes peeled, they may come in fast. I wait about 40 seconds and run it again for 20 seconds. Then await again, After 2-3 times I let it run a bit longer but wait longer as well.

Good luck

Exactly the SOP layout I was looking for!! I think I have a perfect place to setup and make this work once I win the foxpro spitfire I'm bidding on..

Thanks very much for the info!
Once you figure out the basics best advice I can give you is just get out there and start calling. Don't quit when you have lots of dry stands. You are going to educate a few coyotes but best thing to do is learn from it. Always watch your downwind. Once you call your first in you will be hooked. Not many more things in life that will give you as big of a rush as a coyote flying in to your calling.
If I'm hunting mixed terrain I try to get a friend with a shotgun to go with me and I put him on the side where the thick stuff is. More than once I've had a yote come loping out 20 yards in front of us out of the thick stuff while i'm watching the far end of the field.

Early morning calling when it's really, really cold is best.

DON'T call all the time, hit it, and space it out 3 weeks or more before doing it again - you'll educate the yotes if you do it too much.

When you order your foxpro, call them and ask them which calls to use for your area and they'll tell you what's hot. Plus foxpro has a forum on their website where you can research things on what sounds to use. I always make sure I have some crow distress / dying crow, and cow / owl fight sounds for just before I quit hunting - if anyone's got a shotgun... just plain fun.

Take a hot seat to sit on when you hunt - keep your butt dry and warm.

If your getting a foxpro, go to predator masters forum and read the rechargable battery primer. It'll tell you about getting a charger that will cycle the batteries (discharge and then recharge) which makes them last longer.
The only down side to the foxpro gear is how you charge the batteries - get a charger and it'll be much, much better.

Last - when you have a yote come in - and you are ready to shoot - bark at him like a dog and he'll stop and stand still for you to take him. He'll look your way too, so be ready to shoot. If they are coming in hard (racing each other to get to a free meal) you may have to howl at them. Either way, you'd better be lined up on him when you bark at him, once he see's you he'll haul butt out of there.

Oh, if they get stuck (stop coming in) and you don't have a shot, use lip squeaks (kissy noise) to get them to start moving again.
Anybody use an AR as a varmint rifle? I have a colt sporter match lightweight that I could throw a decent optic on...
If the AR fits you well, it is good to go with a good 6x or so scope.

I have used 55 grain soft points in everything with excellent results on yotes.
Check out www.varmintal.com. He has a good page on coyote hunting and has an extensive library of electronic calls that you can download and play via your MP3 player. He has tips on low-cost distracting devices and how to make a cheap electronic caller.
Be as sneaky as possible getting in.... watch your wind on stand.... a sit [bleep] still . The rest is seriously minutia.

I'll rarely end a stand without some type of pup distress.

Diaphragm calls are great for sub 1/2 mile work... as they require no movement to run.

For an all-around call... I love my Kerry Carver 'Rabbid Rabbit' open reed...

Here's the Carver call doin' work last week...

[Linked Image]
Listen to what Spotshooter said. He just gave you about 3 years of experience in what he told you.
Thanks guys!! I've killed several over the years while deer hunting but, never actually setout to Yote hunt. Since they're getting really thick here it just makes sense to get going on some Yote hunts.
What's a 'yote'?
Originally Posted by carlm
Listen to what Spotshooter said. He just gave you about 3 years of experience in what he told you.

Good advice is great.... but it certainly don't give you 3 years of experience.

Takes about 3 years of actual hunting to have 3 years of experience.... a fact quite commonly ignored on this board.

Hunts....
Given the size of your prairie dogs .... you certainly don't want to find out what a 'yote is....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What's a 'yote'?

West Tn redneck shortened version of, coyote
So, does a west tn redneck call deers, ers? Elks, lks? buffalo, alo? skunks, unks? badgers, gers? Geese, ese?

etc......
That's a pet peeve of mine too and it's coyote, 2 syllables, not coyotee. wink
No hunts.....they're called "dogs"

Some ppls kids....I'm with you buddy....
Originally Posted by Camoducks
I never killed a Yote when hunting them, only when deer hunting. What are the basics on best times of day? Best electronic call for a 100% newbie? Any "Need to Know info" you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
The Yote population in our area is getting ridiculous - howling and yapping and waking up every d@mn dog in the area.. We're out of town - only a few houses and lots of farmland - most of which I can get permission to hunt.

Thanks in advance!!

Here ya go, more info on coyote hunting than I can absorb.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Good luck and enjoy!
YB
Originally Posted by YankeeBill

Thanks in advance!!

Here ya go, more info on coyote hunting than I can absorb.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Good luck and enjoy!
YB

Thanks!!!

Thanks to all who offered up some info on setting up to be successful and as for all you who have a problem with Yote...... Yote Yote Yote Yote Yote Yote Yote grin if you don't like it simply keep your whiny azz outta the thread.
So, does a west tn redneck call deers, ers? Elks, lks? buffalo, alo? skunks, unks? badgers, gers? Geese, ese?

etc......

I'm pretty sure that terminology isn't used anywhere in TN that I'm aware of however we do use Yote.... and couldn't give a red rats azz whether it suits you or not. Go take your Geritol and Prozac and mind your own business you old fart grin
[bleep] off....
[bleep] off....

As previously mentioned old fart, you've nothing else to do here but opt out of something that was none of your dam business anyway since your prikish attitude prevents you from having anything worthwhile to offer up anyway.

That said, GFY

Thanks!!!

you'll fit in just fine, with all the other 'one-coyote wonders' over on PM......

good luck and enjoy!
Twenty years ago I picked on an old man and he put me head first into a dumpster, I still respect him to this day.
Originally Posted by missedshot
Twenty years ago I picked on an old man and he put me head first into a dumpster, I still respect him to this day.

Worse, you could end up like one of them vermin in Hunts photos!! grin
Follow the momma cows
Originally Posted by missedshot

Lol at the "picking on an old man" comment. Read the thread - he decided to come in and be of 0 help yet be an azz.
While I was taught to respect All including elders, I don't think the comments made here by huntsman deserved any respect however if you do, feel free to respect away. Otherwise, mind your own business as well and carry on since you had nothing worthwhile to offer either.

Thanks!!!

you'll fit in just fine, with all the other 'one-coyote wonders' over on PM......

good luck and enjoy!

Nothing wrong with PM ... it's a good site.

YB

Thanks!!!

good luck and enjoy!

Nothing wrong with PM ... it's a good site.

YB

PM is a joke and has been for a long time.

If you took the numerous knowledgeable coyote hunters who have been booted off that site for "violating terms of service" according their weird management of that place, you would have something. Hence, the large majority of people left are the "one-coyote wonders" or people trying to sell something.
CD i live in East TN and hunt mostly Virginia where it borders East TN and i use the FoxPro Fury and the Scorpion. The two best calls that work on Coyotes here is the Pup in Distress ( Coyote) and the Jack Rabbit in Distress. I have yet to call in a Coyote using the Cotton Tail calls. I have killed quite a few Coyotes around here and most was with the Pup in Distress . Calling Coyotes seems to work best calling in thicker cover like Pines or the Open woods rather than calling in the Open Fields , they just respond better. For Bobcats nothing works here like the Woodpecker in Distress and i would recommend a Moving Decoy like the Jack Attack from FoxPro or the Mojo Woodpecker with broken wing. Coyotes will respond within the first 5 to ten min's of calling most of the time so be ready as soon as you start calling, cat on the other hand may take up to a hour to respond if they respond at all. It is much harder to call coyotes in the East than out west due to the lack of calling setups you have to live with in the East. Good Hunting and post some photos of your kills. Here is one that came into the pup in distress with in five min of calling in the Pines. AR 6.8 FoxPro Fury caller. Other Photo is one of my typical calling setup AR 223 . I do use different rifles at other times.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks Bob.. Appreciate the help for sure and you have some nice AR setups there!

My only AR is a fixed carry handle Colt lightweight... Since I would like to setup and hunt an AR a bit I think I may have to do some parts swapping on mine and do away with the fixed carry handle.
I have seen some pretty badass critter killing mofos made to look like they never hunted before. Chase them enough you will see if God gave them thumbs they would rule the world. Get to know them. You will see why calling a coyote a yote is about as disrespectful as calling a grown man boy.

Lot of info here. Research the biology and figure out how they work. Learn to find them. Knock on doors til your knuckles bleed. You will eat up a bunch of property hunting alot. Get neighboring farms so you can hunt on any wind. Use the weather and terrain to get the advantage. Travel to your set like you would be getting in a tree stand for a Booner buck. Calling them is easier than ducks or turkeys. Your not having a conversation with them. Looking for the notes or pitch that get them excited. Just like any other dog your voice tone and pitch makes more reaction than what you are saying.
If you're hunting with a buddy put him over the downwind hill, out of site. I firmly believe at least half, if not more dogs that are called in are never seen by the caller. They smell you several hundred yards downwind and out of site.
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
If you're hunting with a buddy put him over the downwind hill, out of site. I firmly believe at least half, if not more dogs that are called in are never seen by the caller. They smell you several hundred yards downwind and out of site.

Had a local guy here who's hunted them for years tell me the same thing.. Makes sense as well.

Thanks guys!!

Deer season is about to wrap up here so following it ending I'm going to get this going. Already scoping out some places and have seen turkey's where I didn't know we had any.... Never turkey hunted but, it looks like its time to start smile

© 24hourcampfire