Home
Posted By: stevelyn Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/16/09
Looks like the lowlife POS mercenary (or whore, whichever you prefer) for the likes of PETA, HSUS and FoA, could get crossed off the list.

KTUU

Fairbanks News-Miner

For those of you that don't know, this is the POS that lead the campaign against aerial wolf control counter to the recommendations of evey other wildlife biologist that did a study on the impact of wolf predation on the ungulate population.

He's an independent "biologist" because he is in the pocket of radical animal rights groups who need his crdentials to give them an illusion of credibility.
Hope the pilot is okay....
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
Hope the pilot is okay....

Yeah..... Me too.
Looks like they found the plane on a mountainside and in trees... No word on Haber or the pilot.
Unofficial word is there are no survivors...
The ADN reports at 8:45PM that the "plane is in pieces" and "human remains" have been found.
Originally Posted by akpls
The ADN reports at 8:45PM that the "plane is in pieces" and "human remains" have been found.

The wolves got to eat too. Too bad about the pilot however.
Chit happens.
On KTUU this AM, they are reporting that McGregor survived and walked to the road. Burned and AFU but alive.
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11325301

Haber confirmed dead apparently.
See, prayers for the pilot helped...
Wolfs learning to climb trees is a nice thought however.
Posted By: jpb Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/16/09
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
See, prayers for the pilot helped...

Naughty, naughty!

...but funny. smile

John
Don't care for Haber's "science", but can't gloat over this.
Agreed.

The man did cost me personally, heavily...
How so?
He was instrumental in three ballot initiatives which funneled heavy Outside cash into Alaska politics. I did more than my part twice, financially. I also donated a NIB 700 to one of the causes for use as a fundraiser.

We lost the ballots and are now paying the price in many ways. The ungulate populations in most of AK have hit rock bottom and only the areas with heavy predator control actions have started the recovery.

Many areas of AK have been shut down completely to non-resident hunting, BTW, becuase of the crash. Unit 16, directly West of Anchorage is a perfect example.

One effect of the crash has been the creation of huge numbers of moose tags as drawing-only hunts, which had been a rarity here.

He was noted for doing illegal stuff in addition, such as releasing legally trapped wolves in others' traps, while documenting it. I could go on, but will leave it at the fact his science was twisted.
art
Translation: He was a shill for the greenies.
Junk Science from a Junk Scientist. Sorry he's dead, but that is life. The pilot has a long painful road ahead of him. Since Bush flying and flying in general dose not pay very well, it will be even tougher times for him. It will be an interesting accident report to read, when it gets done in about a year or two.
Sounds to me like Karma. He got what the ungulates got, because he was willing to take $ to lie for the extremists. dust to dust. Plane crashes are hard on bodies, parts go everywhere. Let the wolves feed on him. Irony.
Posted By: las Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/17/09
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don't care for Haber's "science", but can't gloat over this.

His science was sound. His opinion/slant was a bit goofy, IMO. In fact, I have a sneaking admiration for the guy. His hard science was sound, although I didn't care for his spin or interpretations thereof much. And he was honest and true to his beliefs. He lived them, and died with them. He chose an uphill battle and hung with it all the way. I'd say if he could have chosen the way out, he went the way he'd have chosen - looking at/for the wolves he loved.

Some might think he "sold out" to Friends of Animals, but that isn't true - he merely found a kindred spirit sponsor for his research, but he was pretty careful to keep a barrier between the hard science and his advocacy. When I was at UAF just a few years after he graduated, he was already being laughed at for his advocacy- but his research has been referenced many times since by "traditional' scientist/researchers/game managers.

40 years of doing what one loves best, and dying at it- that ain't a bad epitaph.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Sounds to me like Karma. He got what the ungulates got, because he was willing to take $ to lie for the extremists. dust to dust. Plane crashes are hard on bodies, parts go everywhere. Let the wolves feed on him. Irony.

I don't recall any lies - only personal advocacy/opinion/interpretation. I never found anything wrong with his science. Point some lies out, if you will.

There WAS that little incident of trap-robbing up in 40-Mile...
He allowed his science to be spun for the wrong reasons. I don't call that the truth.
Hell, he did much of the spinning himself. The science was still good. I've never caught him out fudging data, but his interpretation of same might be wildly different than yours or mine. Where he "thought" such and such in his observations, he noted it.

I can't believe I'm defending this guy..... smile
IMO, interpretation is part of the science regardless of the soundness of the data.
Right, and if such interpretation is noted, that is legit.

Interpretation is subject to review by peers (or even us commoners). Entirely separate from, but dependent on the data itself. I.E. read it and draw your own conclusions.
las
Anthropomorphism is usually avoided in scientific papers, except his. Having read many excerpts from his work I do not find his science even close to sound...
art
Sure. Toss 25c words around your nickel and dime friends.
smile
wink

You are worth more than a dime!
to quote Jed Clampett: Heeee Doggies!
I was sure all of Art's friends carried pocket dictionaries by now.....
As if we really care what Art is saying, anyway.....

grin
Art has friends?
Obama feels a great sense of loss, he too loved a liar, considered him one of his own.

The Good Lord knows we need all we can get to turn the country in t a pure fascist State. So much to do, so little time.
Originally Posted by castandblast
I was sure all of Art's friends carried pocket dictionaries by now.....

Yup, they do... You got yours, right? wink
A few things I read in the Anchorage Daily News:
1. They soft sold Habers' employer as a "conservation group" and "advocates for wildlife".
2.The paper easily quoted "Friends of Animals" alpha female, Priscilla Feral, founder, who said: "I'm sure there some hunters and trappers are celebrating his death". So much for a mourning period! Well at least her last name fits!
3. Haber was paid $150K a year to provide for "scientific data" for the F of A to promote the expansion of wolf protection OUTSIDE of Denali Nationl Park.
4. How can a National Park extend a permit to a private pseudo-science/advocacy group to conduct "research" in a NATIONAL PARK? Or, is there some coziness between Park officials and F of A and Ms. Feral?
Yep, AND I enrolled in a Latin course this trimester!

grin
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Also wouldn't surprise me if she's not also a lobbyist. Politians need the money to stay in their comfortable life. She needs the same.
Needless to say Ms. Feral adopted the name...

Studies have shown animal advocates almost invariably suffered serious abuse as children...
Posted By: las Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/18/09
I ain't backing down..... his science was good- you just had to filter out the BS. I about laughed myself to a pants filling when he started talking about the various "cultures" of wolf packs.

Sure, they can sing - but they don't record.... nor paint, draw, write, architect, etc.

Feral isn't her real name, so she's a coward to boot....
Originally Posted by castandblast
Yep, AND I enrolled in a Latin cours this trimester!

grin

Why the hell not- your English (spelling) isn't all that good.... smile
Did you get a dictionary? wink
Originally Posted by las
I ain't backing down..... his science was good- you just had to filter out the BS. I about laughed myself to a pants filling when he started talking about the various "cultures" of wolf packs.

Sure, they can sing - but they don't record.... nor paint, draw, write, architect, etc.

Feral isn't her real name, so she's a coward to boot....

Sorry friend, filtering is not supposed to be required of scientific writing. If something does not stand up to scrutiny or logic it is not supposed to be there...
art
So you take all "science" pubs. at face value? Asprin prevents heart attacks/no it doesn't- it's bad for you. The Adkins diet is the greatest thing since the club - no it isn't, Humans are the greatest cause of global warming - they are largely insignificant....I could go on and on. How often do we hear such and such, only to find out later a "new study" refutes what we've been force-fed for a decade or three...

Color me sceptical - I filter. No, it isn't "supposed" to be necessary- but it is... big business, politics, grants, and funding as it is....

Follow the money/bias- and take the appropriate off-set. There is still often "nuggets" to be had. Either gold or poop..... smile
Originally Posted By: castandblast
Yep, AND I enrolled in a Latin cours this trimester

So you're pregnant too?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/18/09
Filtering/interpretation in your reading and filtering in your writing are very different things.
las
If he was a friend let me know and I will back off...

Science requires findings support statements, every one of them. Theories require support for the ideas presented and show a logical progression to a conclusion. His writings fail every test. He made assertions from thin air based on emotion.
art
las
If he was a friend let me know and I will back off...

Science requires findings support statements, every one of them. Theories require support for the ideas presented and show a logical progression to a conclusion. His writings fail every test. He made assertions from thin air based on emotion.art

And that, my friends, is the textbook description of a garden variety tree-hugging pervert.
The accepted "Scientific Method" starts with a hypothesis that is tested to either validate it or reject it. Now I have never read anything from Haber, but I have from other "scientists" that have an agenda backed by money. Oddly enough the hypothesis is validated by the "testing" that is in concert with the goals of a particular group.
Do you think for a minute that Haber would have been on the payroll if his "science" didn't fit with what Friends of Animals believed? Clever scientists can alter data to fit a hypothesis. This is what many pro man made global warming "scientists" do. That, by the way, is entirely contrary to the true "Scientific Methodology".
Posted By: las Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 10/19/09
Did you get a dictionary? wink

Na _ I got spelchker. When you use those 4-bit words, I just ask someone smarter than me - they're everywhere!.... smile

Never met Haber but once, decades ago - just read some of his stuff. Knowing where he was coming from - long before he found a like-minded sponsor in FOA - I could take the basic, honest science stuff from what wasn't. T'wasn't hard to differentiate between the two.

WTF- 2 or 3 times a year I party with my neighbor John Toppenberg (Alaska Wildlife Alliance - Joslin's outfit). So far, no guns have been drawn.... Good thing too, cuz he's likely a whole lot better at it...
Posted By: Wook Re: Gordon Haber on Missing Plane - 11/05/09
Sorry, I'm a little slow. I saw a follow-up story about the pilot on KTUU's website. I was out deer hunting and missed the news--btw, Sitka Deer you're correct; Montague was a bust, we SAW only two doe's and harvested one, good time overall though-I agree with most that was said. The sob was the one instrumental in getting the anti's howling about pred control. Ef his skull; too bad John Toppenberg wasn't in the plane too.

Too many Anchoragites bought his line of crap.

Wook
in unrelated news Ms. Feral has won a local raffle for 20 free rides on a NW AK air carrier who's first name might begin with a W.

the tickets are good Jan. thru Feb.

wow she'll be in the air a lot I guess, but someone has to step up
Las said:
WTF- 2 or 3 times a year I party with my neighbor John Toppenberg (Alaska Wildlife Alliance - Joslin's outfit). So far, no guns have been drawn.... Good thing too, cuz he's likely a whole lot better at it...

Las if he brings out a model 29 you want to be standing behind the firing line with him and not down range. kwg
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
in unrelated news Ms. Feral has won a local raffle for 20 free rides on a NW AK air carrier who's first name might begin with a W.

the tickets are good Jan. thru Feb.

wow she'll be in the air a lot I guess, but someone has to step up

Wien??? (Good luck with that I guess. smile )
nope K, there's a guy that used to fly out of Kotz IIRC with the name "crack em up W___"

don't know if he's even still flying or not, but he earned that name....the hard way
wink I knew I didn't know the outfit. Only current "W" I can think of is centered out of your backyard - and they don't dabble out here anymore like they did a few years ago. (Now we have "your" other guys; Hayduke Airlines. wink ) And, of course, Wien (and the subsequent MarkAir) haven't flown for a few years - and they weren't exactly only a NW AK airline anyway (but it was fun to fly 737s onto the gravel runways they landed them on in those days. smile )
Gee's MarkAir, now that is an airline I have not thought about in years. Use to ride them to and from Bethel in the old days.
FIL used work for MarkAir as a flight instructor. I think Mark Air pissed in Alaska Airlines wheaties one too many times.
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Gee's MarkAir, now that is an airline I have not thought about in years. Use to ride them to and from Bethel in the old days.

The predessor which they bought out had much cooler ad posters though. wink

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
FIL used work for MarkAir as a flight instructor. I think Mark Air pissed in Alaska Airlines wheaties one too many times.

They were is a dead-heat race for awhile to go broke as I recall. Those were good days to fly cheap. Safety may have played second fiddle I'm sure; and of course AS Gold Coast was permanently sealed into oblivion with all that.
I remember Fbx-->Sea for $99 in 1993.
It seemed like $149 RT - ANC>>SEA was pretty common for many moons as well.
My daughter just paid 649.00 for a RT from Seattle to Anchorage with Alaska Airlines You know "The never on time Airlines", Yepper times have changed.
I remember my $99 OW ticket price, because that was part of the "cost" of buying my truck in Seattle since Seekins Ford was too proud of what they had on the lot.

What I saved, paid for the ticket, HD reciever hitch (installed), full length running boards (installed), 3-horse slant horse trailer, fuel to drive back north, meals, and a little jingle left over.

Good ol' Seekins......right here, Ralphie! smile
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
My daughter just paid 649.00 for a RT from Seattle to Anchorage with Alaska Airlines You know "The never on time Airlines", Yepper times have changed.

Nice to know it's still "cheaper" to fly into ANC from the bush than from ANC to the lower other states; well, it is from here anyway... barely, and as long as one buys the right ticket. frown
I remember paying over $500 for Kodiak-Anchorage round trips in the late '80s and when MarkAir came in we suddenly had $150 RTs... I miss MarkAir in a lot of ways.

One thing they did not do was compromise their maintenence though. A pilot for them told me the average plane in the Hawaiian Air fleet had some ridiculous high number of requests for repair. If a MarkAir plane had one it did not go in the air...
art
© 24hourcampfire