Home
Posted By: 2Bimmers Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
So, I'm getting married in May and the wife to be is on board with a honeymoon to Alaska. Always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

We'll probably be there for 10 days or therebouts. I figure we'll stay close or around the Anchorage area. Would like to fit in a day fishing trip at some point. Any ideas/suggestions of things to do are welcome.

Bimmer
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Aside from the obvious??? wink
Posted By: las Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Art's talking about halibut fishing out of Seward or Homer, of course.

The scenery on the drive down is worth the day..
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Early May or Late?

ddj
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

DJ, late May. May 21 through May 30. Might stay a little longer.

Bimmer
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by las
Art's talking about halibut fishing out of Seward or Homer, of course.

The scenery on the drive down is worth the day..

Look into taking the train from Anc to Seward. Fish, stay overnight and return the same way.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
I've lived in Alaska 18 years and that trip is high on my to do list!
Posted By: croldfort Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
I would try to spend two days on the Kenai. A day over to Kenai and down to Homer. Maybe some salmon fishing out of there in the Cook Inlet. We enjoyed Homer/Kenai more than Seward. Good halibut fishing at both. Seward has a Kenai Fords boat tour that might interest you.

Best advice that you can get is to buy a book called the Milepost. It comes out every year. Get the 2011 version now and start reading. Good luck.

The fish that you catch can be left to be taken care of, and shipped to you after you arrive home. That's what we did.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
So, I'm getting married in May and the wife to be is on board with a honeymoon to Alaska. Always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

We'll probably be there for 10 days or therebouts. """"""""""""" I figure we'll stay close or around the Anchorage area. """""""""" Would like to fit in a day fishing trip at some point. Any ideas/suggestions of things to do are welcome.

Bimmer
.........hummmm, looks like your trip stops shy of alaska.....Robert Service ain't got no stories from that neck of the woods...just sayin......Fairbanks would sprout the "American Klondike". Klondike miners who had not left for Nome flocked to Fairbanks��(BTY; the only� gold rush� in anchorage was in lawyers lol)
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
Did B/B tour with a rental car in 95 on ours. Scheduled a few fishing trips in, had time to spare in other places and fished on our own.

Enjoyed it VERY much. This fall marked my 6th trip back since then...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/17/11
A bud that's been here almost as long as me has done it and raved about it. I want to do it in each season.
Posted By: OldForester Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
Too much to see and do in Alaska to make a good honeymoon spot. My wife and I were there about 10 days, much too long ago. We rented a motorhome in Anchorage, drove to Talkeetna, took a flightseeing tour and landed on Mt. McKinley, then took the bus tour into Denali. We then drove across the Denali Highway and down to Valdez, took the ferry across Prince William sound, then went to Seward and took a Kenai Fjords tour. Then we drove to Homer, took a floatplane to Katmai to watch bears, then fished for halibut the next day. Awesome trip! I wanna go back BAD!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
It makes a great honeymoon spot IMHO. Wife was hooked from the git go... its pretty easy, get a good taste the first time and you are done.... you just save up and go back every time you can... wife would go every year if we could afford it....but she won't go on some of the cold wet hunts like last years Sitka hunt around thanksgiving.... glad she didnt/ it was so cold and wet she'd have been like having a mad bear around....

She's already ordered a different pair of binocs since we got back a month ago from the moose hunt, and a different pistol holster, maybe a new Glock, and some filson whipcords to start with for the next trip...
Posted By: AKHntr Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
The japanese honeymooners go to the hot springs and hang out and screw around there. They make their babies while the Nothern Lights are on them. I don't think they like the darkness.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
Originally Posted by rost495
Did B/B tour with a rental car in 95 on ours. Scheduled a few fishing trips in, had time to spare in other places and fished on our own.

Enjoyed it VERY much. This fall marked my 6th trip back since then...

This would also be my advice. You can see much more of the state from a rental car and at your own pace.

Having said that, the train trip from Anchorage to Seward is a must-do for anyone who lives in or visits the state.

You'll be getting there before the "tourist" rates kick in, so it will be a bit cheaper, just keep in mind that some of the "touristy" businesses will be training a new summer crew, so there may be a few bumps along the way.

Just grin and enjoy the trip. You'll be back! grin

Ed
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
I sent you a PM with my contact info, Bimmer. If we can coordinate our schedules, you guys are more than welcome to join us on a fishing trip in PWS while you're in the Anchorage area. You'd be hard pressed to find prettier place that time of year, if Mother Nature decides to play nice.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/18/11
We did the train from Anch to Portage? to get onto the ferry, that too was something that should be done once at least in ones life. Was neat having the car on the flat bed train car while going.

I've heard the train to Denali isn't bad either, but we've driven every highway in AK except the one at Juneau and have never finished all the way to Prudhoe yet... as such we prefer to get off the path a bit if at all possible.

Plus I"m somewhat anti social, don't work so well with masses mostly.... they tend to irritate me with stupidity

Posted By: OldForester Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/20/11
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
[quote=rost495]You can see much more of the state from a rental car and at your own pace.

Ed

Motorhome gives the same flexibility, plus a place to sleep (love) and eat just about anywhere you choose. As I recall, there weren't a lot of hotels and restaurants in the bush.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/20/11
Yep, had we had that or made that option at the time it would have been nice too. But honestly, for the first go round, we loved talking to the locals that owned teh B/Bs!

Have done it with a friends motorhome on a hunt once. Worked out very nicely. And stay in that motorhome when we come to visit them.
Posted By: elim Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/21/11
You know that is Alaska you don't loose your wife but just your turn right?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/21/11
have heard that before.... grins.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/21/11
Originally Posted by OldForester
[quote=rost495]You can see much more of the state from a rental car and at your own pace.

Ed

Motorhome gives the same flexibility, plus a place to sleep (love) and eat just about anywhere you choose. As I recall, there weren't a lot of hotels and restaurants in the bush.
There aren't a lot of rv's in the bush either, just sayin.
Posted By: OldForester Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by OldForester

Ed

There aren't a lot of rv's in the bush either, just sayin.

Good point! I should have stated "along most highways". I was thinking about places like the Denali Highway, which is pretty remote by lower 48 standards.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11
There's remote and then there's bush. Not always the same.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11
A frank talk about bush on a Honeymoon thread??? It seems... well... it seems tacky!
Posted By: las Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11
Lets not get sticky here, Art.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11

Some specialize in tacky.
Posted By: sollybug Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/22/11
Well, I am a lifelong Alaskan and also spent my honeymoon traveling around the state. Denali park was great. And the Captain Cook in Anchorage is the best hotel for getting to know one another. Just put the sign on the door before you go to bed.... Cruze portage and out of Seward and you will see some great sights. You could also take the train to Whittier and see come college fiords.
Posted By: OldForester Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A frank talk about bush on a Honeymoon thread??? It seems... well... it seems tacky!

blush smile
Posted By: las Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
Took a girl on a date once - snowmachining out of Pt Hope for caribou. Our first date. Her mistake was racing after the sled behind me after she fell off...

She knocked a caribou dead at about 400 yards the first time she ever shot a big game rifle (.25-06), tho she'd had some .22 experience back in Montana - (Figured I'd better not pizz this one off too badly!) Our second date a year later was on an 18 mile back-in backpack sheep hunt. I killed a full curl.

The following year was the same hunt on our honeymoon. She killed a full curl.

(In between details not available...... smile )

Been stuck with her for the last 33 years.

You gotta watch out for those things, guys!

Posted By: davidlea Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
I got married in Anchorage, my wife and I flew there from TN, tied the knot then headed down the Kenai in a rental. Stopped along the way a bunch, several days in Cooper Landing and fished the Russian and the Kenai. Wandered down to Homer and fished the Anchor and later went halibut fishing. Ate great food and met a bunch of good folks. Went back five years later and did sort of the same trip but earlier in the season. Maybe next trip I could figure a way to get some hunting done smile Just waiting for those lottery tickets to pay off.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
Congrats!!

Try to get your hands on a Northern Lights coupon magazine. NORTHERN LIGHTS It'll have all kinds of coupons for about every entertainment you can imagine. It'll have many 2 for 1 coupons where you pay for 1 person and the other is free. We took a long glacier tour from Seward that way and it saved us a bunch. To buy a new one is pricey, but if you know someone in AK, they might find you one for free that has a lot of unused coupons left over, or at least give you some that they know they won't be using. That's what we did. Then we gave extras to others we met along the way.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
Originally Posted by link
The Locals' Secret to Dining & Recreation Discounts in South Central Alaska...

Interesting. First I've heard of this.
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/25/11
All,

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Definitely a lot to look into!

Bimmer
Posted By: dawaba Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/27/11
No one has mentioned an Alaska cruise. My oldest daughter and her new hubby loved theirs--Princess, I believe. They fished out of Ketchikan and Sitka, whale-watched out of Juneau, and enjoyed the WP&Y train in Skagway. You can't beat the food and entertainment on board, and the lttle verandas off the rooms are a good place to see seals and the odd whale. While small, the staterooms are big enough for what's necessary, of course.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Alaska Honeymoon - 10/27/11
The ferry through the islands can be pretty good, too, and you can take your car. They have rooms but a lot of people camp out on the deck - likely not the best arrangement for a honeymoon, of course.
© 24hourcampfire