Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I'm getting married in May and the wife to be is on board with a honeymoon to Alaska. Always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

We'll probably be there for 10 days or therebouts. I figure we'll stay close or around the Anchorage area. Would like to fit in a day fishing trip at some point. Any ideas/suggestions of things to do are welcome.

Bimmer

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aside from the obvious??? wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Art's talking about halibut fishing out of Seward or Homer, of course.

The scenery on the drive down is worth the day..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Early May or Late?

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

DJ, late May. May 21 through May 30. Might stay a little longer.

Bimmer

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Art's talking about halibut fishing out of Seward or Homer, of course.

The scenery on the drive down is worth the day..

Look into taking the train from Anc to Seward. Fish, stay overnight and return the same way.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've lived in Alaska 18 years and that trip is high on my to do list!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try to spend two days on the Kenai. A day over to Kenai and down to Homer. Maybe some salmon fishing out of there in the Cook Inlet. We enjoyed Homer/Kenai more than Seward. Good halibut fishing at both. Seward has a Kenai Fords boat tour that might interest you.

Best advice that you can get is to buy a book called the Milepost. It comes out every year. Get the 2011 version now and start reading. Good luck.

The fish that you catch can be left to be taken care of, and shipped to you after you arrive home. That's what we did.

Last edited by croldfort; 10/17/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
So, I'm getting married in May and the wife to be is on board with a honeymoon to Alaska. Always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

We'll probably be there for 10 days or therebouts. """"""""""""" I figure we'll stay close or around the Anchorage area. """""""""" Would like to fit in a day fishing trip at some point. Any ideas/suggestions of things to do are welcome.

Bimmer
.........hummmm, looks like your trip stops shy of alaska.....Robert Service ain't got no stories from that neck of the woods...just sayin......Fairbanks would sprout the "American Klondike". Klondike miners who had not left for Nome flocked to Fairbanks��(BTY; the only� gold rush� in anchorage was in lawyers lol)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did B/B tour with a rental car in 95 on ours. Scheduled a few fishing trips in, had time to spare in other places and fished on our own.

Enjoyed it VERY much. This fall marked my 6th trip back since then...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A bud that's been here almost as long as me has done it and raved about it. I want to do it in each season.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Too much to see and do in Alaska to make a good honeymoon spot. My wife and I were there about 10 days, much too long ago. We rented a motorhome in Anchorage, drove to Talkeetna, took a flightseeing tour and landed on Mt. McKinley, then took the bus tour into Denali. We then drove across the Denali Highway and down to Valdez, took the ferry across Prince William sound, then went to Seward and took a Kenai Fjords tour. Then we drove to Homer, took a floatplane to Katmai to watch bears, then fished for halibut the next day. Awesome trip! I wanna go back BAD!

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It makes a great honeymoon spot IMHO. Wife was hooked from the git go... its pretty easy, get a good taste the first time and you are done.... you just save up and go back every time you can... wife would go every year if we could afford it....but she won't go on some of the cold wet hunts like last years Sitka hunt around thanksgiving.... glad she didnt/ it was so cold and wet she'd have been like having a mad bear around....

She's already ordered a different pair of binocs since we got back a month ago from the moose hunt, and a different pistol holster, maybe a new Glock, and some filson whipcords to start with for the next trip...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The japanese honeymooners go to the hot springs and hang out and screw around there. They make their babies while the Nothern Lights are on them. I don't think they like the darkness.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Did B/B tour with a rental car in 95 on ours. Scheduled a few fishing trips in, had time to spare in other places and fished on our own.

Enjoyed it VERY much. This fall marked my 6th trip back since then...

This would also be my advice. You can see much more of the state from a rental car and at your own pace.

Having said that, the train trip from Anchorage to Seward is a must-do for anyone who lives in or visits the state.

You'll be getting there before the "tourist" rates kick in, so it will be a bit cheaper, just keep in mind that some of the "touristy" businesses will be training a new summer crew, so there may be a few bumps along the way.

Just grin and enjoy the trip. You'll be back! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sent you a PM with my contact info, Bimmer. If we can coordinate our schedules, you guys are more than welcome to join us on a fishing trip in PWS while you're in the Anchorage area. You'd be hard pressed to find prettier place that time of year, if Mother Nature decides to play nice.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We did the train from Anch to Portage? to get onto the ferry, that too was something that should be done once at least in ones life. Was neat having the car on the flat bed train car while going.

I've heard the train to Denali isn't bad either, but we've driven every highway in AK except the one at Juneau and have never finished all the way to Prudhoe yet... as such we prefer to get off the path a bit if at all possible.

Plus I"m somewhat anti social, don't work so well with masses mostly.... they tend to irritate me with stupidity

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
[quote=rost495]You can see much more of the state from a rental car and at your own pace.

Ed

Motorhome gives the same flexibility, plus a place to sleep (love) and eat just about anywhere you choose. As I recall, there weren't a lot of hotels and restaurants in the bush.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, had we had that or made that option at the time it would have been nice too. But honestly, for the first go round, we loved talking to the locals that owned teh B/Bs!

Have done it with a friends motorhome on a hunt once. Worked out very nicely. And stay in that motorhome when we come to visit them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know that is Alaska you don't loose your wife but just your turn right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 280fan, 2500HD, 22magnut, 257 mag, 43 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,564
Posts18,510,686
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.