Home
Posted By: 257Bob Rifle Sling - 01/25/24
What are people using for slings these days, I'm in need of another rifle sling to use with QD flush-cups, I own slings from Vero Vellini and Montana Sling, looking for something simple but useful, thanks!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/25/24
Slogan Outdoors Slogan Sling.

I use the magnum / xl or whatever it’s called.

Can get a flush cup version.

Made in USA.

Iirc, 25 year warranty.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Rifle Sling - 01/25/24
Montana sling and Brownell’s “Latigo” sling.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Rifle Sling - 01/25/24
Montana sling for the win!!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Sling - 01/25/24
I use both Montana slings and Butler Creek Mountain Slings, depending on the rifle and intended use.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
I have a couple of old Remington slings that used to be on 700 BDLs and a copy of them that I found on eBay. I also have two Montana slings.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I use both Montana slings and Butler Creek Mountain Slings, depending on the rifle and intended use.

This. I own two that get moved from rifle to rifle as needed.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Butler Creek
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz then ankles especially when trying to drag a deer.

Butler creek Mountain for the win…no freaking comparison!
Posted By: kes308 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Murray Custom Leather…

A-1 Murray Quick Set Rifle Sling
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Grovtec makes a better mountain sling the Uncle Mikes.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
I also use a Frankenstud Sling Keeper on my packs to keep my rifle from slipping off my shoulder, no matter what sling I'm using.

Pathfinder--Am familiar with the Grovetech (and other similar slings) but prefer the narrower Butler Creek. That said, Eileen prefers the Grovtech-type slings because they don't put as much pressure on her thinner shoulders. (But she also uses the Frankenstud.)

Also have a few sling purchased in Europe when hunting over there that work similarly to the Butler Creek, and others which provide more "friction." Europe was ahead of the U.S. in many ways, perhaps because the hunting in many countries over there is in steep country. The slings I have were made in Norway (a synthetic model) and Spain, a leather sling with a nubbly rubber area in the section that goes over your shoulder.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
what sling is best when hunting Africa when using the standing bi-pod ? or go without ?
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Montana for me
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also use a Frankenstud Sling Keeper on my packs to keep my rifle from slipping off my shoulder, no matter what sling I'm using.

Pathfinder--Am familiar with the Grovetech (and other similar slings) but prefer the narrower Butler Creek. That said, Eileen prefers the Grovtech-type slings because they don't put as much pressure on her thinner shoulders. (But she also uses the Frankenstud.)

Also have a few sling purchased in Europe when hunting over there that work similarly to the Butler Creek, and others which provide more "friction." Europe was ahead of the U.S. in many ways, perhaps because the hunting in many countries over there is in steep country. The slings I have were made in Norway (a synthetic model) and Spain, a leather sling with a nubbly rubber area in the section that goes over your shoulder.

The Grovtec mountain sling is the exact same dimensions as the Uncle Mikes. I have both. But the Grovtec obviously has their sling swivels which are a better quality swivel.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
The leather one from Brownells is all i use.

Only have one carry strap and it was from a Ruger rifle.

Don't really care for the fake leather,foam padded ones.
I have a hmr and I'm using the vickers sling. High quality stuff.
Posted By: devnull Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Montana's slip knot is the best in the business for adjusting a sling. A runner up is the Blue Force hunting sling. However, I also like slings that stay on your shoulder. The Butler Creek Alaska Magnum, Quake Claw slimline and the Grovtec Mountaineer sling win here.
Posted By: shaman Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
I have not bought a decent sling in a while. Lately, I have been buying fairly cheap ones off Amazon for non-hunting rifles and platooning my good leather ones.

I went through a period about a decade ago, where I had excellent luck finding leather slings on Amazon and Ebay. For hunting in decent weather, I like a sling that's:

Leather
Lined
Cobra design
Ready for 1 inch QDs

I don't shoot offhand with a sling. It's just a carry strap to me, but it is a necessary part of the kit. I want both hands free when I'm walking in and out in the dark.

I think I ended up with 3 or 4 new ones. I gave them a good coat of Neat's Foot Oil and let them cure for 6 months or so. These are what I use during deer season when the weather is good. I also have a couple of nice camo synthetics, I think they're EZ Shoot. They have a rubbery neoprene pad that stretches. One stays on my Mossberg 500 turkey gun, and the other gets moved around to whatever I designate as my "Rain Gun" for deer season.

Once I determine what my 4 pieces are going to be for deer season, I do whatever swapping I need to do to give me the appropriate sling.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
I almost bought on of these back when they were being sold here, but did not,

Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Anyone know how to purchase one of them now???
Thanks
Tim

I use a variety of slings depending on how long rifle will be on my shoulder and if doing
more or less walking. Can't say any particular one is better, but if doing a lot of humping
I like 1" and quick adjust style if I will be putting on and taking off shoulder regularly.
Posted By: CivilEng Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Another vote for Murray. Top quality leather.
Posted By: ruffedgrouse Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
you can make your own. With my wife's assistance, made mine from black 1" wide webbing. Super tough, about as lightweight as you could get, and in-expensive. Use it on my 10# plus .375.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I almost bought on of these back when they were being sold here, but did not,

Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Anyone know how to purchase one of them now???
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/29086/tedthorn
Posted By: PatB Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Montana's are ok but I cut the supplied ''knot'' off.. Adjusted the sling to a length I liked and used a Chicago screw to secure the end of the sling to the running length. So yeah, its a semi permanent length but you lose some unnecessary weight and ugliness... Sorry Shrap.
Posted By: Moses Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
I mostly hunt WV mountains. The "give" that Vero Vellini rifle slings provide while climbing the hills is perfect. The 4 that I own were bought many years ago when they weren't $50+ dollars each (I move these rifle to rifle). There are a few copycat type slings (Butler Creek) that are decent for $.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
use both Montana slings and Butler Creek Mountain Slings, depending on the rifle and intended use.

Mostly this, but I tend to use the 1" Montana sling more. There really isn't that much difference in weight.

When Gander MT was closing, I picked up a couple of slings with their logo on them. They are an almost direct copy of the Butler Creek Mountain sling, but with slightly heavier nylon webbing and they are brown. Got them dirt cheap and they get used a lot too. I tend to just keep the slings on the rifles I use most and when I pick up a rifle just go with whichever sling is on it, so they all get used.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Curious as to what you men recommend, I went to Butler Cr webpage...a "Mountain Sling", by that name, is not in their product line.

Naturally I would go to the Montana Sling next, but Gov Tester (D) Mont. yesterday came out and said he was against open borders, (rumor has it there's an election this fall) so I am nervous about false advertising when it comes to all things Montana. Snork.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
As mentioned, I have a Montana sling and the quality is excellent, I'll probably like it more as it ages a bit, also like the Vero Vellinis that I have. The issue is some stocks are traditional QR, some have pic rails on the front with flush-cup QD the new McM mountaineer stock that is due any day is flush-cup only (not my preference but that's the only way it comes) so only looking at alternatives that at FC compatible. VV is my default, just considering other options.

Thanks to all!

One option: https://grovtec.com/products/mountaineer-slings?variant=49939886804
Posted By: tx270 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Made in USA.

Iirc, 25 year warranty.

This ^^

I've been using them over 20 yrs
Posted By: EdM Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by pete53
what sling is best when hunting Africa when using the standing bi-pod ? or go without ?

Without.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Curious as to what you men recommend, I went to Butler Cr webpage...a "Mountain Sling", by that name, is not in their product line.

On the Butler Creek website it's listed as model 26923, "Mountain Sling with Swivels." https://www.butlercreek.com/slings/all-with-swivels/
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by pete53

Without.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I typically remove my sling if I'm going to be in one spot for a while (most of my local hunting is "stand" hunting).

Ed, I simply must find a way to get to Africa!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Thanks MD, I ordered up. Somehow google sent me to a different site the first try.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Rifle Sling - 01/26/24
Whttail_in_MT
Thanks for the info.
Tim
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
https://rifle-craft.com/

These aren’t bad.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
I use either one of the above mentioned latigo slings or a mountain sling depending on the hunt. I recall my mountain sling was made by Uncle Mike's though.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
Looks like the sling I use most often is by Outdoor Connection and runs about $20 bucks. It works fine.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
I rarely put a sling on a hunting rifle, but if I do, I find the old surplus M1 Carbine slings just about perfect.
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
I tried a Butler Creek Featherlight Minimalist this past season. Undecided about it. It's a departure from my go-to Hunter Whelen sling Hunter Whelen sling . The Whelen is the same style Jack O'Connor wrote about. Not as much hardware as a military sling. I love it but, have never fired on big game slung up from the sitting position which JOC wrote about. I practice from this position just because. I see why JOC was so keen on it - it's super stable for me and doesn't require a rest. I'd think it would be a good choice in the West. With so many pre-64, JOC-reading, Western guys around here, I'd think this classic choice would be more popular?
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
I like the Whelen sling and 1907 sling, and have used them to good effect.
For truly lightweight applications I had slings with sewn loops built by a place online, then I affix them to the rifle swivel studs with 550 cord. Eliminates a little weight and the noise of swivels and the clunking of a sling adjuster doohickey. Took a little experimentation to get the length right for a sling that was correct for packing but also worked to use as a hasty sling for shooting. This measurement could be different depending on the stock (length between studs), so using a little longer 550 cord attachments works to adjust the overall length.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a couple of old Remington slings that used to be on 700 BDLs and a copy of them that I found on eBay. I also have two Montana slings.
Nav hit it, you keep your eyes open at gunshows for the old Remington sling 5-15 bucks cheap and great. Montana is good too..mb
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Rifle Sling - 01/27/24
I like the Montana sling, so far the knots aren't slipping on them. I think it helps to keep the leather treated so it doesn't get dry. I use them like Oregonmuley's pic, loop at buttstock end. Adjusted right, I put my arm through the loop and put tension tween the rifle butt and my elbow. Not a true shooting sling, but it steadies me more than a hasty sling and doesn't affect POI as there is no tension on the forearm.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
you can make your own. With my wife's assistance, made mine from black 1" wide webbing. Super tough, about as lightweight as you could get, and in-expensive. Use it on my 10# plus .375.

I also make my rifle slings outof 1in nylon. I try to duplicate the "C" sling O'Connor mentioned so I can get some support in sitting and prone. I use shoe goo to add a friction surface to them as recommendedby Aagaard. Finally, I use a hair band as a "keeper" of sorts.

On swhotguns and other firearms I dont try to use a sling on I use mountain slings or makea nylon strap.
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
Make em’ myself. Available in 1” and 1.25”. Regular QD swivels or flush cups.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
Really nice details on those. Nice work Mbogo
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz.

It would be [bleep] mind blowing how many miles I’ve carried rifles, muzzle loader and shotguns chasing deer, hog, turkey, squirrel, duck etc.

Never ever not nary a hiccup from a Montana Sling.

Posted By: Mathsr Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
I've been using the strap from a musette bag for years. It is wide, so it spreads the load and doesn't slip off my shoulder. It is light weight and easy to adjust. Cheap too! I remove the snaps on the ends of the strap and put an Uncle Mikes quick release swivel on. I just ordered 5 more so I don't have to swap it from rifle to rifle.

Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz.

It would be [bleep] mind blowing how many miles I’ve carried rifles, muzzle loader and shotguns chasing deer, hog, turkey, squirrel, duck etc.

Great picture, Harry! Beautiful drake. I love everything about woodies and would rather eat wood duck than most anything.

I never thought of using a red dot like that for wing shooting. Might have to try it. How do you like it?

Andy
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Rifle Sling - 01/28/24
I really like the Boonie Packer Safari Sling. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now.

Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/29/24
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Great picture, Harry! Beautiful drake. I love everything about woodies and would rather eat wood duck than most anything.

I never thought of using a red dot like that for wing shooting. Might have to try it. How do you like it?

Andy

I’ve only taken it a few times but I like it. Definitely takes some getting used to.
That morning we were hunting a spot where a small creek feeds into a beaver pond. It’s pretty open and we can see the ducks coming and have plenty of time to get ready. If it were wood ducks in timber I’d probably never stand a chance!
I’d take it on a dove hunt with no problem… I think.. 😁
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Sling - 01/29/24

Andy

I’ve only taken it a few times but I like it. Definitely takes some getting used to.
That morning we were hunting a spot where a small creek feeds into a beaver pond. It’s pretty open and we can see the ducks coming and have plenty of time to get ready. If it were wood ducks in timber I’d probably never stand a chance!
Nice!
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Rifle Sling - 01/29/24
My favorite is when hunters show up with the neoprene bouncy slings or shoulder pad leather slings complete with full color deer motif, either of which are extended to maximum length so they get tangled in all the extra backpacks and bino brassieres and shooting tripods and other schit hunters feel the need to pack with them every time they step out of the pickup. Also gotta have cartridge loops for extra 300 Weatherby ammo. For all I know they have makeup kits on there too, to touch up their magnum eyebrows when it comes time for post-gut shot picture time.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz then ankles especially when trying to drag a deer.

Butler creek Mountain for the win…no freaking comparison!

I have a few of the Montana's. One got wet quite a few times, and the knot started slipping. I just put a few wraps of electrical tape above the knot. That way it holds where I like it, and still retracts against the stock. Definitely got my money's worth. No complaints.
Posted By: Rock63 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Call me the odd man out, I use the Quake Claw Contour on my rifles and shotgun
Posted By: 1eyedmule Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24

Andy

Cool. We're typically in marshy river set-backs with plenty of oaks - woodie heaven and tons of time as they're coming into the dekes. But, if it's slow, we'll float creeks in the canoe which can be some quick and dirty shooting. Maybe not as good. Maybe I'll just lug two guns. In any case, thanks for posting the pic!
i use the Brownell’s “Latigo” sling.
Posted By: Brad Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My favorite is when hunters show up with the neoprene bouncy slings or shoulder pad leather slings complete with full color deer motif, either of which are extended to maximum length so they get tangled in all the extra backpacks and bino brassieres and shooting tripods and other schit hunters feel the need to pack with them every time they step out of the pickup. Also gotta have cartridge loops for extra 300 Weatherby ammo. For all I know they have makeup kits on there too, to touch up their magnum eyebrows when it comes time for post-gut shot picture time.

Truth lol
Posted By: Flashman Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Although I am a big fan of the Ching Sling, I think there is something better: a Vickers style adjustable sling. They are designed to wear around a shoulder and neck that allows the rifle to be slung hands free on your front for quick easy access, or the side or back. It can also easily be worn when carrying a ruck or pack. It is "tactical" in the sense it is more traditionally used for AR's but is a great innovation nonetheless. There is a version that also incorporates a loop for shooting but still can be tightened to firm up a braced shooting position.
Posted By: odonata Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
I mainly use a couple of hand-crafted leather slings made by Els & Co. in Stellenbosch, ZA. It's a wine-making region in South Africa that's a nice place to visit if you're ever in that area. They don't work any better than the cheaper canvas one I bought from NECG years ago but they do look nice.

Posted By: noKnees Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by Rock63
Call me the odd man out, I use the Quake Claw Contour on my rifles and shotgun

I use these too. Mostly for carrying not shooting.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
You could not run fast enough to give me a leather sling. Pass the Butler Creek Mountain sling for the win.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by VaHunter
You could not run fast enough to give me a leather sling. Pass the Butler Creek Mountain sling for the win.

Been using them for years myself, perfect size and weight, more folks should try them out. I rake mine off alot while hunting, put it back on when walking out of area, etc. Its super easy to mess with, ha.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
Put me down for the various claw model slings as well. I use as a carry tool not a shorting tool. They work quite well at avoiding slipping off the shoulder. They carry comfortably, are maintenance free and economical.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Rifle Sling - 01/30/24
I still like a Whelen sling.
Posted By: LeverGunner Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
I like the Hunter Quick fire

https://www.huntercompany.com/collections/slings/products/quick-fire-sling-1-with-swivels-230-series
Posted By: TjIA Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
Been running these on my deer hunting rifles. On and off all day they have a quick pull to loosen and easy pull and hold tight for rapid setting from relaxed hanging to arm wrapped shooting on moving deer.

https://www.vikingtactics.com/shop/vtac-pes-ultra-light-sling-w-metal-buckle/

Makes you more steady and they are light.

My whole group has moved to using these.

Not pretty leather but the function is great.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
A million Chinamen can't be wrong. I'll take an SKS or AK sling any day. Keep it simple.

kwg
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
Butler Creek neoprene/nylon slings on my deer rifles.

Ron
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
Quake claw contour for me....the thumb loop is a nice addition.

https://bpioutdoors.com/contour-sling-w-loop-black/

Andy3
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
I guess I am an outlier here in that I have no interest, or more precisely very limited interest, in using a sling to carry a rifle when hunting. I used to carry a 1" leather sling with QD attachments rolled up in a coat pocket with the idea that I'd clip it on and sling my rifle when I had to drag out a deer. I eventually came to the conclusion that I only needed one hand to drag a deer and having the rifle slung over my shoulder or across my back was a bigger PITA than anything. Carrying it in the hand that wasn't dragging the deer provided a sort of balance, as well.

In the northeastern woods where I've done most of my deer hunting on the ground, opportunities often come suddenly and you don't have a lot of time, nor do you want to move around a lot, just raise your rifle with as little commotion as possible and shoot. In a treestand/climber, the last thing I want when I'm 15 to 30 feet up in the air with limited room to maneuver is something hanging off my rifle. I shot one deer walking in to my stand this year and having to unsling my rifle before doing so may have blown that opportunity.

A couple of my rifles are 700's with bolts that don't lock down on safe and the fact that I don't have my rifle slung out of sight, behind my back may be one of the reasons it really doesn't bother me.

I have used a sling on shotguns more than rifles. I have a leather sling with slipknot loops at each end, one sized for the barrel, one to fit around the stock. I'd carry it in a pocket back when we spent most of the winter running fox and coyotes so I could sling my shotgun when I needed both hands free to handle hounds. I also used to use it when manhandling bags of decoys back into the swamps during early duck season.

I've often hunted with a backpack of some sort, but I like to have my rifle in my hands.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Made in USA.

Iirc, 25 year warranty.

Slogan Slings for the win.
Posted By: 240NMC Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
I still use my older Turner Saddlery NRA HP Service rifle slings. Older M1 Garand slings work of me as well.
Posted By: gamma4diesel Re: Rifle Sling - 01/31/24
have a variety of slings. Put a vino villeri on one of my long guns. Like it a lot, but it don't serve any better purpose than many other slings out there.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Rifle Sling - 02/02/24
Originally Posted by odonata
I mainly use a couple of hand-crafted leather slings made by Els & Co. in Stellenbosch, ZA. It's a wine-making region in South Africa that's a nice place to visit if you're ever in that area. They don't work any better than the cheaper canvas one I bought from NECG years ago but they do look nice.

I like the Els & Co 2" Nieu-Bethesda. Enough that I ordered one for myself.

Added. These actually look better than the Westley Richards offering.

[Linked Image from elsfineleather.co.za]
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Rifle Sling - 02/04/24
I use the leather Montana Rifle Slings on my lever guns and wood stocked bolt action magazine rifles. My two stainless bolt guns wear the easily adjustable synthetic hunting sling from Blue Force Gear that sells many products designed by Larry Vickers. My Short barreled 12 ga. and AR's and SBR wear Vickers 2 point slings.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Sling - 02/05/24
I remove my slings when actually hunting but like to have one for going to and from my stand, don't do much spot and stalk hunting these days and like to have a sling to put my rifle on my shoulder if just for a moment if I'm sorting gear vs putting it on the ground or against a tree. I do hunt from climbing stand so having a sling for ascending/descending is a must. Otherwise, I prefer to have a "clean" rifle, no sling to make noise or get in the way.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Rifle Sling - 02/06/24
Call me the “odder-than-odd man out” but I started using Banded shotgun slings on my hunting rifles about 8 years ago, and really can’t seem to stand many other slings now. Yes, they’re a bit wide, and they have the 3 shotgun shell loops. Yes they are a bit heavier than other, sleeker slings. Yes they don’t look as pretty on a classic rifle. Yes, the wide strap fights my backpack strap for space when I carry one. All true! However, I saw them years ago and bought one figuring if they were made for dragging around heavy, long barreled waterfowl shotguns, they ought to work for a lighter rifle. After the first day of using it in the woods, I was hooked. Between the handle and extra long thumb loop, it allows a super comfortable carry, with lots of adjustability. They ain’t the prettiest, lightest, or cheapest…but they are the only ones I use on my big game rifles.

© 24hourcampfire