Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a couple of old Remington slings that used to be on 700 BDLs and a copy of them that I found on eBay. I also have two Montana slings.
Nav hit it, you keep your eyes open at gunshows for the old Remington sling 5-15 bucks cheap and great. Montana is good too..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Montana sling, so far the knots aren't slipping on them. I think it helps to keep the leather treated so it doesn't get dry. I use them like Oregonmuley's pic, loop at buttstock end. Adjusted right, I put my arm through the loop and put tension tween the rifle butt and my elbow. Not a true shooting sling, but it steadies me more than a hasty sling and doesn't affect POI as there is no tension on the forearm.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
you can make your own. With my wife's assistance, made mine from black 1" wide webbing. Super tough, about as lightweight as you could get, and in-expensive. Use it on my 10# plus .375.

I also make my rifle slings outof 1in nylon. I try to duplicate the "C" sling O'Connor mentioned so I can get some support in sitting and prone. I use shoe goo to add a friction surface to them as recommendedby Aagaard. Finally, I use a hair band as a "keeper" of sorts.

On swhotguns and other firearms I dont try to use a sling on I use mountain slings or makea nylon strap.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Make em’ myself. Available in 1” and 1.25”. Regular QD swivels or flush cups.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Really nice details on those. Nice work Mbogo

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz.

It would be [bleep] mind blowing how many miles I’ve carried rifles, muzzle loader and shotguns chasing deer, hog, turkey, squirrel, duck etc.

Never ever not nary a hiccup from a Montana Sling.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the strap from a musette bag for years. It is wide, so it spreads the load and doesn't slip off my shoulder. It is light weight and easy to adjust. Cheap too! I remove the snaps on the ends of the strap and put an Uncle Mikes quick release swivel on. I just ordered 5 more so I don't have to swap it from rifle to rifle.

Harry
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz.

It would be [bleep] mind blowing how many miles I’ve carried rifles, muzzle loader and shotguns chasing deer, hog, turkey, squirrel, duck etc.

Great picture, Harry! Beautiful drake. I love everything about woodies and would rather eat wood duck than most anything.

I never thought of using a red dot like that for wing shooting. Might have to try it. How do you like it?

Andy

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Boonie Packer Safari Sling. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Great picture, Harry! Beautiful drake. I love everything about woodies and would rather eat wood duck than most anything.

I never thought of using a red dot like that for wing shooting. Might have to try it. How do you like it?

Andy

I’ve only taken it a few times but I like it. Definitely takes some getting used to.
That morning we were hunting a spot where a small creek feeds into a beaver pond. It’s pretty open and we can see the ducks coming and have plenty of time to get ready. If it were wood ducks in timber I’d probably never stand a chance!
I’d take it on a dove hunt with no problem… I think.. 😁

IC B3

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Andy

I’ve only taken it a few times but I like it. Definitely takes some getting used to.
That morning we were hunting a spot where a small creek feeds into a beaver pond. It’s pretty open and we can see the ducks coming and have plenty of time to get ready. If it were wood ducks in timber I’d probably never stand a chance!
Nice!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite is when hunters show up with the neoprene bouncy slings or shoulder pad leather slings complete with full color deer motif, either of which are extended to maximum length so they get tangled in all the extra backpacks and bino brassieres and shooting tripods and other schit hunters feel the need to pack with them every time they step out of the pickup. Also gotta have cartridge loops for extra 300 Weatherby ammo. For all I know they have makeup kits on there too, to touch up their magnum eyebrows when it comes time for post-gut shot picture time.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Montana slings suck and the more you use it in the elements the more the knot slips and the rifle ends up around your azz then ankles especially when trying to drag a deer.

Butler creek Mountain for the win…no freaking comparison!

I have a few of the Montana's. One got wet quite a few times, and the knot started slipping. I just put a few wraps of electrical tape above the knot. That way it holds where I like it, and still retracts against the stock. Definitely got my money's worth. No complaints.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Call me the odd man out, I use the Quake Claw Contour on my rifles and shotgun

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Andy

Cool. We're typically in marshy river set-backs with plenty of oaks - woodie heaven and tons of time as they're coming into the dekes. But, if it's slow, we'll float creeks in the canoe which can be some quick and dirty shooting. Maybe not as good. Maybe I'll just lug two guns. In any case, thanks for posting the pic!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i use the Brownell’s “Latigo” sling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My favorite is when hunters show up with the neoprene bouncy slings or shoulder pad leather slings complete with full color deer motif, either of which are extended to maximum length so they get tangled in all the extra backpacks and bino brassieres and shooting tripods and other schit hunters feel the need to pack with them every time they step out of the pickup. Also gotta have cartridge loops for extra 300 Weatherby ammo. For all I know they have makeup kits on there too, to touch up their magnum eyebrows when it comes time for post-gut shot picture time.

Truth lol

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Although I am a big fan of the Ching Sling, I think there is something better: a Vickers style adjustable sling. They are designed to wear around a shoulder and neck that allows the rifle to be slung hands free on your front for quick easy access, or the side or back. It can also easily be worn when carrying a ruck or pack. It is "tactical" in the sense it is more traditionally used for AR's but is a great innovation nonetheless. There is a version that also incorporates a loop for shooting but still can be tightened to firm up a braced shooting position.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I mainly use a couple of hand-crafted leather slings made by Els & Co. in Stellenbosch, ZA. It's a wine-making region in South Africa that's a nice place to visit if you're ever in that area. They don't work any better than the cheaper canvas one I bought from NECG years ago but they do look nice.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Rock63
Call me the odd man out, I use the Quake Claw Contour on my rifles and shotgun

I use these too. Mostly for carrying not shooting.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,472,995
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.