Home
Have any of you guys shot the new model 70? If so,How was the accuaracy? And what model and caliber was it? I'm really wanting a Supergrade in 300WSM or 30-06. Thanks for any info.
There have been lots or reports on the 'fire of excellent accuracy from the new M70's. I am very pleased with my FWT 270. Don't recall many unhappy owners.
Had my FWT 30-06 out today. Four groups: Rem fact 180CL = 3 in 1.0, Fed fact 150 PSP (Blue Box)= 3 in 0.6, Handload Horn 180 interlock = 3 in 1.0, Fed fact 165 TSX = 4 of 5 in 1.0 (first shot of the five opened group to 1.7. FWT 270 (the last few groups, not today): 4 150 Sierra into 1.5, 4 shots 130 TTSX = 1.5, 130 Speer = 4 shots in 1.5, 150 Sierra = 4 into 1.0, 150 Ballistic Tip = 3 into 0.8, 130 Ballistic Tip = 3 into 0.7, 130 TTSX = 4 into 1.5, 140 Horn = 3 into 1.6, 150 Sierra = 3 into 0.7, 140 Horn again = 3 into 0.8, 150 Ballistic Tip = 3 into 0.3.
Summary: I'm very happy with both rifles. This is really accurate for stock hunting rifles off sandbags considering I'm certainly not the best shot off a bench. These new rifles seem much better than the older ones.
dsducati could comment on this if he would ever get around to shooting his. He has a first year production Deluxe Featherweight that has a knockout piece of wood on it. Believe it's chambered in the 270WSM. He's a half-ass decent shot so could probably give a decent report if he would just put a scope on it and put some bullets down the bore. Don't know what his problem is or what that ducati moniker is all about.
I bought one last year from a local store, a .300 WSM 2008 Limited Edition with a very fine piece of wood. It shot very well right out of the box. The have fixed the bedding problems that plagued the New Haven model for a number of years.
JB:
Did you use factory fodder in your 300 WSM, or did you work up some loads for it?
I worked up loads, since I didn't have any factory ammo on hand. I tried two powders with 180 Sierras, H4350 and Ramshot Hunter, and was soon shooting sub-inch groups, some much under an inch. Hunter shot a little better in this rifle, but I have seen it work the other way too.

Now that I have some Reloder 17 I'll have to try that too!
Orion03
Yea I haven't shot my SC model 70 and I get the jest that I don't ride the Ducatis any more either. You just come on down here and we will shoot that 270WSM as well as the New Haven 243, 280, and 06 Classic Featherweights. Just as well fire up the old wire wheel, bevel drive SS while we are at it. Um, its a bit warm so dress lightly. grin
Dan
For any who may be interested, Cabela's in Wheeling, W.V. has a S.C. Super Grade in .30-06. Not spectacular wood, but very nice. Blue is excellent, very smooth action. Price was $999.
I just purchased a new M-70 super grade in 270 with a Leu.scope a couple of days ago. Going to the range tomorrow to break in the gun and get some brass formed. Plan to test the Swift A Frame, Nosler Partition and Hornady Interlock;all 130 gr with H-4831, H4350, and R-22 as soon as brass gets tuned and loads are set. Will advise .

tack
MD..one of the employees at that local store got a Fwt. in .270 to go with his three other .270 Featherweights of various vintages ( including a pre-64)
The new SC rifle shoots the best of them all... grin
Ingwe
That's good news, but I am not surprised.
Last year I bought a New Model 70 .270Win. I worked up some load and I was soon shooting MOA groups. The best load I find for this rifle is 54 grain of IMR 4831 under a 150 hornady SP bullet. Most three-shots groups are in the .400 to .600".

Last month I bought another New model 70 FW in 308 and, surprise! It was soon shooting MOA 3 shots groups with regularity. I need to work and try a little with differents bullets but I'm pretty sure this rifle will soon print half MOA groups.

I love them....and they are about the niciest looking rifles on the market. A true classic!
Originally Posted by plafleur
Have any of you guys shot the new model 70? If so,How was the accuaracy? And what model and caliber was it?Thanks for any info.

Yes, I own a new FN Model 70 Featherweight in 7-08.
Accuracy is as good, or better, than with many factory rifles. My load development time for the rifle was the shortest on record; one range session, for 100 grain and a 140 grain bullets. Both shot 3 shot groups measuring 1/2" at 100 yards.
And, the rifle's balance is superb.
Don,

It's good to hear that the wait was worth it!

Have you run any of the 140g slug loads over a Chrono??

I have been thinking about a 7mm-08 featherweight...

Just curious about the speed from a 22 in tube..
Good to hear of positive accuracy.. Maybe the boys in SC read the NRA article and were embarassed by the 2.4" groups that rifle was getting and fixed that little issue..
The American Rifleman's "dope bag" test groups don't really mean a hell of a lot to me. Especially during the last 15 years or so..

The American rifleman can take pretty much ANY decent gun and get groups TWICE as large as that damn thing can really shoot.

The only review I have seen recently where they got groups that were represenative of what the rifle could really do was when they shot an Anschutz m1717 17HMR. The gun averaged about 1/2" at 100 yards.. In a test tunnel. Just about like every one else was getting with that gun with Hornady ammo at the time with perfect conditions..

Of course, a gun like that has no recoil and damn near shoots itself. Every other gun they seem to get grapefruit sized groups..even from match grade rifles.

I think their editorial staff these days is a bunch of near sighted ,college nerds who are recoil wimps and can't shoot worth a damn off of bags because they are still twitching from their morning Lattes..

Knowing the NRA, Browning/FN probably had not purchased a big enough AD in that issue to suit them..Hence the schitty groups..

My FW shoots subMOA with the 130 Sierra and Nosler Partiton and H4831.
I have a F/W .300WSM and a Stainless All-Weather .30-06. I haven't shot the .300 yet, but the .30-06 shoots great. I've only shot 20 groups with it (all 5-shot groups) so far, but it ranged from .42"-.61" with Federal's 165-grain TSX load, and .55-.88" with their 165-grain Accubond load. I tried a new 150-grain load from Hornady that averaged right at an inch for 5, 5-shot groups. I used that load on Monday to whack an 80" pronghorn and a nice mule deer. It is a tad heavier than I'd like it to be, but that All Weather rifle is a helluva a gun right out of the box.
I have a F/W .270 win. and a Stainless All Weather .30-06.The F/W shoots .5"-.75" with handloads and the All Weather shoots .4" @ 100yds with Federal Fusions 150 gr.and 1.1" at 200 yds.
Mule Deer, What was the nature of the bedding problems with the late NH rifles? Is there an easy fix for the problem? I have a .270 WSM that needs something. It seems to print two separate groups with several different loads and one 6" group with other loads.
Greg: Congrats on the pronghorn...that is a really good buck. I'm glad to see the new M70's are doing so well for so many people.I like mine!

Someone recently wrote that if the people at FN can satisfy government standards.they are gonna be able to keep us pretty happy!
I bought an Extreme Weather in 300 WSM the other day. I took it to a local range with 4 boxes of factory ammo. I had Winchester XP3 180gr, Winchester E-Tip 180gr, Federal Accubond 180gr and Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 165gr.

The E-Tip load and XP3 didn't didn't seem to want to shoot, but the groups were not strung. Triangles, but 1 3/4 to 2 inch triangles. The Trophy Bonded 165gr load got me thinking happy thoughts with the first group when it printed two shots one on top of the other. Then, the third shot went 1 1/2 inches low. Two more groups later, no other bullets were tightly grouped. 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. The 180gr Accubond load fired a 5-shot group into 1 1/4 inches. I'm not sure if it was me, but I would fire two shots touching and the next two shots 1 inch away and touching.

I'm not super excited with the groups so far, but I'm not going to get too upset until after I try handloads and a more comfortable bench. I was at a new range and could not get comfortable. That might have had a lot to do with it.

The trigger on mine is super heavy. I took it apart and there was a lot of goop covering the trigger pull-weight screw and the overtravel screw. I spent some time scraping the goop off and picking it out of the screw heads. Then found out that I didn't have a 1/16 allen head, so the tinkering stopped. I did notice that the trigger pull-weight screw seemed to be screwed in a lot further than the overtravel screw. After putting the gun back together, I could stick my finger into the trigger guard with the entire weight of the rifle and the trigger would still not break.
Dan: The 300 WSM I played with a bit showed a prefernce for certain factory ammo, too,but shot very well with what it "liked".I find this to be pretty common with rifles that are well bedded and they show a preference.This is unlike my 270 which has shot everything well so far.

Your trigger does seem heavy.....have not seen that with any myself so far.
Originally Posted by Notropis
Mule Deer, What was the nature of the bedding problems with the late NH rifles? Is there an easy fix for the problem? I have a .270 WSM that needs something. It seems to print two separate groups with several different loads and one 6" group with other loads.

You have serious problems. I had one so wild, like yours, I simply could not believe the size of the groups. The scope was tested on another rifle. It appears to be a bedding problem or loose scope or bases.

I bedded it at the forend, putting a lot of upward pressure there, not simply a neutral pad. It started shooting everything under 1.75, but several loads now consistently are under .5 MOA. It was difficult to believe that barrel harmonics were causing 6" grouups with some loads, but it happened and it was a light contoured barrel. It took a lot of experimenting with pressures and different reloads to get there.

If you can't resolve this, you are owed a refund for sure.
Can any of you guys offer a comparison of general quality and accuracy for the older Winlite PF rifles vs. the new SC Featherweight rifles? Thanks, Rooster
Slasher, I took it out of the stock last night and noticed a shiny patch on the inside of the forend and that the action would slide front to rear in the stock. They didn't put any shoo-goo in this one. I free floated the barrel and will try again it next week. I will try shoo-goo and some shims if that does not work.
Originally Posted by jim62
Don,

Jim,

Just saw your posting.. Sorry about the delay getting back to you.
I'm not using a Chrony, although I have one. But, whatever 45 grains of H-414, and Federal 210 primers with the 140 grain Partition delivers for velocity, it what it is.
The other load that shoots well is the 100 grain Sierra HP, and 42.0 grains of Varget, along with the Fed 210's. Three shots into 1/2" groups for both loads, at 100 yards.

Take care,

Don
BobinNH,
not too much of a side-track, but what scope did you put on your 270fw? (figured a question faster than search function)
thanks.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Dan: The 300 WSM I played with a bit showed a prefernce for certain factory ammo, too,but shot very well with what it "liked".I find this to be pretty common with rifles that are well bedded and they show a preference.This is unlike my 270 which has shot everything well so far.

Your trigger does seem heavy.....have not seen that with any myself so far.

I'm thinking the issues I'm having with mine aren't full-fledged "problems" yet. I picked up a set of itty-bitty allen heads last night. I'll try to adjust the trigger tonight. I'll then put it back together and check all the screws and then see what happens.
I have found the USRAC Model 70's sometimes had bedding problems and required that a small Accraglass land about 1/4 inch wide and 0.050 inches high be cast between two 0.050 thick plastic shims. This should be done in the stock's fore-end tip barrel channel not more than 3/8th inch back from the tip.

Make sure that the shims and barrel are coated with release agent and remove the shims after hardening and trim the edges of the Accraglass land with a razor. This bedding method will often cure stock bedding issues and will tighten up groups.

I have done the treatment on three Featherweight and two Sporter, USRAC Model 70's and it improved grouping and group consistency on all of these rifles.
Originally Posted by wmeek
BobinNH,
not too much of a side-track, but what scope did you put on your 270fw? (figured a question faster than search function)
thanks.

wmeek: I have a 4X Zeiss Conquest on my FN 270;the 300 WSM belongs to a buddy,and it has a 2.5-8 Leup VX III.
Dan: The 165 Fusion shot well right away from the 300 WSM; the tipped TBBC did not do so well.
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3
I have found the USRAC Model 70's sometimes had bedding problems

My FN Model 70 was glass bedded at the lug when I received it new.
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by jim62
Don,

Jim,

Just saw your posting.. Sorry about the delay getting back to you.
I'm not using a Chrony, although I have one. But, whatever 45 grains of H-414, and Federal 210 primers with the 140 grain Partition delivers for velocity, it what it is.
The other load that shoots well is the 100 grain Sierra HP, and 42.0 grains of Varget, along with the Fed 210's. Three shots into 1/2" groups for both loads, at 100 yards.

Take care,

Don

Thanks for the reply..

Most of my load developement is done by the "H.I.T"(holes in the target) method, too.LOL

Accuracy is my first priority as well. All the speed in the world don't mean a thing if it is not put in the right place..

wmeek: I have a 4X Zeiss Conquest on my FN 270;the 300 WSM belongs to a buddy,and it has a 2.5-8 Leup VX III.

BobinNH,
thanks!
Dan: The 165 Fusion shot well right away from the 300 WSM; the tipped TBBC did not do so well.

I took the rifle out of its stock and cleaned up some things. There was some fiberglass that had been pushed into the barrel channel from where the sling stud had been drilled in. I scraped the goop off of the trigger adjustment screws but haven't fooled too much with that yet. I took some Federal 165gr Barnes TSX loads and 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loads out and was amazed that each load would print tight cloverleafs at 100. Moving out to 200, groups stayed within 2 inches without a problem. I'm thinking that this rifle has some potential now.
Dan: There ya go!Do you hand load?
I do handload. I'm going against my better judgement and will be using this rifle for next week's mule deer hunt. I don't normally buy a rifle two weeks prior to hunting season and then actually use it.

However, I am very familiar with Winchester M70s in function and have been able to put 120 rounds through it over the last few days. I've shot it out to 300 yards from field positions, so that will be my limit. I don't know what kind of groups I'm getting, but I'm having no problem keeping 5 of 5 shots on a 10 inch steel plate at 300. That should be minute of deer.

This winter, I'll be doing the load development for the rifle. I picked up some RL17 and Magpro. I have H4350, RL19, H4831 and RL22. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a deer with the TSX. I've never used them before and am interested to see what the hububs about.
My go to load for my .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt Medalion is 69 grains of IMR 4350 with the Nosler 165 Partition, W-W cases and Fed 215 primers. This load is maximum and should be worked up to from 10% below. In my rifle, it shoots consistant groups at less than MOA to 300 yards.
Just dialed-in my brand new Winchester M70 FWT in .30-06. So far I've determined that it doesn't like two things: (1) Federal Fusion ammo (165 gr. Hornady SST seems to have worked the best so far) and (2) a hot barrel. No kidding guys, if that thing's even remotely warm, you're probably going to get a stray round (by about 1-2 MOA).

Has anyone shot better groups (i.e. sub 0.65") with 150 gr. rounds? If so, what type?

Attached picture 165 gr. Hornady SST - For Posting.jpg
Originally Posted by NvyLwyr
Just dialed-in my brand new Winchester M70 FWT in .30-06. So far I've determined that it doesn't like two things: (1) Federal Fusion ammo (165 gr. Hornady SST seems to have worked the best so far) and (2) a hot barrel. No kidding guys, if that thing's even remotely warm, you're probably going to get a stray round (by about 1-2 MOA).

Has anyone shot better groups (i.e. sub 0.65") with 150 gr. rounds? If so, what type?

Welcome to the Campfire! That may be true of your rifle but has not been true of mine;but thanks for the general advise,and example of one...especially from a brand new tube.....pretty hard to predict the behaviour of an entire model line based on one sample,dontcha think? smile
Thanks for the welcome. When you wrote, "[that] has not been true of mine," what aspect of my post were you referring to specifically? (1) The tight shot group with 165gr. Hornady SSTs, (2) comparatively poor shot groups with 165gr. Federal Fusions or (3) the fact that rounds wander a bit when the barrel is hot?
Nvy: The third shot business;many factory barrels will throw a third shot from heat.Not unusual at all.Those are pretty light contours for a 30 caliber magnum of any type.My 270 FW does not throw shots one to two minutes out when it heats;shots 3 and 4 stay in the group.Also, barrel heat may not be the issue.The 300 WSM we shot(like yours),loved the Fusion ammo,but shot as you described with other factory ammo....just the way it goes....

Besides, based on that group with the hornady bullets,it looks like your rifle is shooting fine.I don't expect one hole accuracy from a light sporter with factory barrel and tuning and chambered for a powerful cartridge like a 300 magnum;nice if you can get it,but not really likely.

There are lots of other things that cause "flyers"besides barrel heat.

Yours seem to like the Hornady;shoot it again but after three shots,shoot another 2-3,and watch how it groups.Do you handload?
Dan, does your follower have a shallow angled grove on its left side? CP.
Originally Posted by NvyLwyr

First of all many LIGHTWEIGHT barrels throw shots after they heat up..

Factory or not.

It's hard to get a contour much lighter than a Winchester featherweight.

I think your rifle shoots dam good for a barrel that light with a .30 cal hole in the middle.

Having said that, have you checked the barrel bedding? Make SURE it is fully floated. Run two new dollar bills down the channel between the barrel and the forend. Check and make sure no nibs of finish and sawdust etc are touching the tube.

When a lightweight barrel like that gets hot and expands, anything touching the barrel can cause funny things to happen..
I have a new FN Model 70 Super Deluxe scoped with a Leopold MM V11. To date I have run about 25 three round test groups through it. I have tested the 140 gr. Horn sp, 130 Swift A frame, and the 130 Nosler Partition with 56 to 59 grs. of H-4831 SC. Group are averaging between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2". I have had only one 1" and one 2" group. Pretty disapointing for a rifle that is factory bedded at the recoil lug and tang.
I don't think it is me because I can take my Remington Sendero 7MM STW and put a cold shot between any three shots I have fired with the FN Model 70.

Will try R-22 with the same bullets and Sierra next.

Tack

I have just bought a M70 Super Grade in 30-06. Shoots extremely well. Shot 4 x 3 shot group at 100m with charges incrementally increasing by 1gr and all groups were 3/4 inch or less. Bullet was Sierra 180gr & powder H4350/AR2209. Fit & finish excellent. By no means a lightweight though at just on 9lbs with leup 2.5 - 8 and Talley steel rings & bases. That scope really could be 1/4 inch longer though and be better for it.

I would have been one of the people condemning the use of the new style trigger but by golly its awful nice. Very very crisp but perhaps the weight is a bit on the heavy side. Have not adjusted at all as I have not had action out of the stock as yet.

One of the "bargain" buy IMHO.

Oh, nearly forgot did not do the barrel break in thing either. Just sighted in & shot groups. Fired 16 shots total - cleaned with MP7 then wipeout & left overnight. Hardly any copper fouling evident. The barrel is pretty slick. Another +.

regards
JohnT
I bought a new Super grade in .270 WSM. Every thing about the rifle was first class. Function was flawless. Accuracy was terrible.Average groups were between 1.5 and 3 inches at 100 yds.After nearly 150 rounds it was a bust . I dumped it and bought the same caliber in a Browning Medallion. Had no trouble getting 1/2"to 1" groups with 3 -4 powders and bullets. Not as pretty but it sure does shoot tighter.

Tack
I am looking very seriously at a new Sporter in .338
This is an old thread, but I think you'll love the sporter in 338. I've got a fwt in 308 and a sporter in 30-06 and they both shoot lights out (although I have to clarify the sporter is a newhaven gun not the new fn made sc gun).
I bought a Safari model .375 in January and initially tried the 250 Sierra with both Re15 and Big Game; either load would put 3 shots inside one inch or 10 shots inside two inches. Very pleased.

Greg P
Word on the street is FN finally got it right.
I bought my fourth one on Sunday, an Extreme Weather .30-06. I expect this one will shoot as well as the other three, which all will do sub-MOA with multiple loads. My .300 WSM Featherweight is especially consitent and will shoot most loads sub-moa or better and to about the same point of impact.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I bought my fourth one on Sunday, an Extreme Weather .30-06. I expect this one will shoot as well as the other three, which all will do sub-MOA with multiple loads. My .300 WSM Featherweight is especially consitent and will shoot most loads sub-moa or better and to about the same point of impact.

Now your just rubbing it in mad
Have any of you guys shot the new model 70? If so,How was the accuaracy? And what model and caliber was it? I'm really wanting a Supergrade in 300WSM or 30-06. Thanks for any info.

I hate to answer some of this stuff... cause I am not a Writer...

My son has a 30-06 and it is dead on.

The only rifle we have that did not get a trigger job or bedded (cause he was stubborn).

Just out of the box and he put on my 10 year old OLD Leupold scope (cause he was cheap) and off he went.

I am normally a Rem 700 guy� but this was very nice

Mine should be coming tomorrow. I ordered a FW in 7mm-08. I always liked the looks of the FW and have been intrigued by 7mm-08 as well. Never owned either so I'm a virgin on both counts. I'm so excited, I feel like it's the night before prom night wink
Guys, will you permit me to write about my new, New Haven M 70?

If you won't, I won't write it. >G

In '08 I wanted to get another M 70 since I hadn't had one in too long. Win. being in/out of business 3xs at least in recent decades was part of my desire to get another 70. The caliber didn't matter except for 1 that I didn't and don't want. (personal choice)

I found a New Haven 70 Winlite in 300 W M. Having had several 300s in the past, I was glad to have another.

It had an EL CHEAPO 3-9 scope on it, retails for $40.00 To my SHOCK n SURPRISE that scope hasn't missed a lick.

I didn't buy the gun as a real shooter or hunter, so I bought some CHEAP fed. fact 180s. They shot fantastic in that New Haven Winlite. I liked the gun so well & I had not INTENDED to load ammo for it, I bought 2 more boxes of the same lot.

WELLLL in '09 I got the loading supplies I didn't have. This New Haven M 70 Winlite shoots as well as any rifle I've had and better than some.

Being synthetic stocked & light, it's a pleasure to hunt. You CARRY your rifle more than you shoot it, hunting.

SWAMPY's going to 'like' this. I've had NO problems with that factory ammo OR my handloads. So far I've only loaded 180s at 3100 fps but using different BULLETS I could hunt anything in North America. (c-c, N P, TSX, A frames, etc.)

MAYBE being syn. stock or whatever, MOST hunters would be satisfied with THIS New Haven M 70.

I'm sorry if you feel I hijacked the thread.
I was under the impression that Winchester is now owned by browning. Is this true? Maybe the reason for the exceptional accuracy?

Anyways....I'm going to get one in 270 FWT real soon. Nice to see all the positive reviews.

Shod
I bought a FW 22-250. Very accurate rifle out of the box.

My middle son has a Sporter and it shoots very well.

I have always been a Rem kinda guy... but I would have a new Win.... I just wish they would change the checkering...

Too much scroll work

Snake
Originally Posted by Shod
I was under the impression that Winchester is now owned by browning. Is this true? Maybe the reason for the exceptional accuracy?

Anyways....I'm going to get one in 270 FWT real soon. Nice to see all the positive reviews.

Shod

Strictly speaking, the "Winchester" brand is owned by Olin Corporation, which makes ammo and licenses the brand to others for rifles and shotguns. In 2006, U.S. Repeating Arms which made Winchester rifles went out of business and closed the New Haven (actually North Haven, I believe) plant.

Thereupon, Olin licensed the brand to FN Herstal, a huge arms company in Belgium. FN opened a new plant in Columbia, South Carolina, where Model 70s are now made. FN also owns the Browning line, based in Morgan, Utah but separate, although I think that some police sniper rifles use the same actions under each name.

Perhaps others can confirm this.

I read that the SC products are superb and are based on new, state-of-the-art machinery. Unfortunately, no LH versions offered. Ownership by FN, while not American, is a great plus in comparison to other gun companies (e.g., Remington, Marlin) that are owned by investment companies. FN has been in the gun business for a long time and knows the business and the value of the Winchester name.
Norm, thanks for taking the time to offer that explanation. Sounds like I'll be getting a high quality rifle.

Shod
I bought one in 338 Win Mag (LH) back about 5 years ago and the sumbeech wouldn't hit due east!! After I got finished reworking it....it's now a burner!! Winchester is living off a name that was established 120 years ago IMO!!
5 years ago would have been before the "new" M70's, those manufactured in South Carolina, were offered.
Mine is a featherweight in .270 Winchester....it's a 2008 limited edition and has some nicely grained wood.

It's a fine shooter indeed.
The new FN-made Model 70 rifles are assembled in Portugal according to a rep at a local store told me.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
The new FN-made Model 70 rifles are assembled in Portugal according to a rep at a local store told me.

Wrong. He should go back to the shoe department at Walmart.

Wsmnut
I heard that they are made by elves in a hollow tree.

American elves.
I heard that they are made by elves in a hollow tree.

American elves.

But owned and managed by the elves from the North Pole (except during Christmas - which may explain the problem rifle).

FWIW, I handled a couple of featherweights with the same flat black extractor and they were very rough working the bolt at the store. My shock was soon dissipated after handling the M70 EW and out the door it went under my arm!

So, I picked up a new s/s aught six. The barrel is stamped with Morgan, Utah. That means it came from the S.C. factory?
I have been thinking about buying one of the compact models, are they bedded too?
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have been thinking about buying one of the compact models, are they bedded too?

No experience with any of the compact models, but the lug was bedded from the factory on my EW 7WSM.
i did read an article in a gun rag a few years back regarding the new fn m70. the article stated the barrels were made in the fn plant, the actions were made by another us company then shipped to fn for final polishing and assembly. the triggers were also made by another company then shipped to fn. the stocks were made/finished in a central american country (which escapes me at the moment) and shipped to fn. the complete rifle was assembled at the fn plant in sc. if anyone has the actual facts, i'd like to know. thanks
I'm glad to hear folks are liking their's!!
Here's the one I just placed an order for (in .257 Roberts)from Scott's Outdoors in Jay,FL. I (jokingly) accused them of using an ad or having their own studio...until I saw the serial # in one of the other pics match the one on my reciept grin smile
[Linked Image]
Finally on it's way! Be here by "end of day" Tuesday! grin grin
i had a sporter in 30-06 that with 49grs of h4895 under a 168 NBT turned in a 3 shot clover leaf just over a quarter inch center to center( that was with a far better shot then i behind the trigger.)and thats not internet bs.that rifle is at the top of the list of guns i wish i hadnt sold. and everyone one i;ve sold customers come back with similar stories a this the posts in this thread
Looking at the empty loading component shelves in Sportman's on Thursday when a behind-the-gun-counter guy (who knows me as an easy mark) waved for me to come over... He hands me a new M70 FWT in 7x57. I almost broke my wrist trying to get the credit card out of my wallet. While filling out the form, I was mentally formatting probable excuses and counter-excuses to use on my wife... "No, honey, I didn't forget about our deal of not using my credit card for more guns, but it was a 7x57!"
Originally Posted by IAE_pilot
Looking at the empty loading component shelves in Sportman's on Thursday when a behind-the-gun-counter guy (who knows me as an easy mark) waved for me to come over... He hands me a new M70 FWT in 7x57. I almost broke my wrist trying to get the credit card out of my wallet. While filling out the form, I was mentally formatting probable excuses and counter-excuses to use on my wife... "No, honey, I didn't forget about our deal of not using my credit card for more guns, but it was a 7x57!"

Where was this at?

IAE_pilot,

So can you confirm a 22" barrel rather than the 26" barrel listed on Winchester's website for the new FW in 7x57?

Thanks,

SD

Picked up a Model 70 Extreme Sporter 300wsm a couple of years ago. Only put a couple of boxes thru it breaking in the barrel so can not really provide a serious accuracy evaluation. It did print MOA during that process. It heats up quick and really takes a good while to cool down between shots. Really like the rifle and feel the $650 tag at Sportsmans Whse was a terrific value. Its more gun caliber wise than I need but it was only offered in magnums. If I could only have one bolt action rifle for big game it would be hard to overlook it.
[quote=SD65]
IAE_pilot,

So can you confirm a 22" barrel rather than the 26" barrel listed on Winchester's website for the new FW in 7x57?

Thanks,

SD

Yes, 22 in barrel in beautiful dark walnut with reddish tint.
26" was a typo.

Thanks, you got a teaser photo or two for us!

Thinking of ordering one of these or something in 6.5x55.

SD

[quote=SD65]
IAE_pilot,

Thanks,

SD

Yes, 22 in barrel in beautiful dark walnut with reddish tint.
I bought a Winchester model 70 Extreme weather in 300 win mag. I'm EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the accuracy. It groups 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I've tried several types of ammo: Remington Premiere, Winchester, Barnes Vor-TX, Hornady, Federal Premium and Federal Fusion. I'm shooting off of a lead sled, so I know I'm holding the rifle still. I've checked the base and ring screws. I've tried a Zies Conquest and a Nikon scope, both 4.5-14. Winchester's web site says I can expect 1 inch group at 100 yards, but there service center says the spec calls for 2 inch group at 100 yards. It may take 2 months for Winchester to examine the rifle.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...2075/FN_M70_243_range_report#Post7422075

Range report with pics on my FN .243 Ultimate Shadow
First load workup of my 7wsm extreme weather. Shows some promise.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire