Home
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

This topic came up on another forum and some people there said a 44 magnum was a good stopper. Personally, I'd want a 45/70 or 450 marlin loaded with Garrett loads or a shotgun loaded with heavy Copper slugs. If given a choice, I can't see how a pistol would be the 1st choice. Am I wrong?
You need to talk to (Phil) 458WIN. That's what he does for a living.
I'm not an Alaskan or a gunwriter, but ...

The only reason an handgun would be first choice is because you're doing something else with your hands such that a rifle isn't a viable option. It's pretty hard to chop wood, dig ditch, etc with a rifle in hand or even on a sling. It's not even all that easy to cast when you're fishing with a rifle or shotgun in the way. As always, the inadequate gun in your hand is better than the adequate gun back at home or in the truck out of immediate reach.

Tom
Ask the Africa guys......
Wait 'til I get some popcorn..........

Pete
The best rifle is the one you're most likely to actually hit the bear in fatal areas with as it charges. Everything else is not relevant if you don't hit it in the right spot. The best cartridge is one that shoots well from the rifle you're carrying. Good bullets are important, but there are a lot of them out there.

Shotguns and slugs are very poor; if you're making a decision, carry a rifle.

I "officially" carried a .35 Whelen; the bears and I got along just fine and I never shot one. Hunting in bear country I've carried the Whelen and my .444, but I never had to shoot one then either.

Hitting one with a lighter rifle is quite a bit better than missing one with a heavier rifle...

Dennis
I own a Whelen, and have heard very good things about the 250 grain bullets on big bears. I just never thought of it as a "fight" stopper. It's nice to know.
I think that Elmer used a a double rifle in .500 Gibbs through the shoulders, just to slow them down. I have a Rem .375 H&H and a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for the long and short of it, with a .300WBY for the middle.
The reason you'd want a handgun, is for popping your partner in the knee - before you go off running. Failing that, hunt with a fat guy...
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

This topic came up on another forum and some people there said a 44 magnum was a good stopper. Personally, I'd want a 45/70 or 450 marlin loaded with Garrett loads or a shotgun loaded with heavy Copper slugs. If given a choice, I can't see how a pistol would be the 1st choice. Am I wrong?

Phi Shoemaker (an Alaskan Bear Guide of note) has used every thing from 30-06 to 505 Gibbs.
The 475 Linebaugh revolver with an LBT LFN hard cast will put bear and Moose on the ground

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by croldfort
I think that Elmer used a a double rifle in .500 Gibbs through the shoulders, just to slow them down. I have a Rem .375 H&H and a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for the long and short of it, with a .300WBY for the middle.

Elmer used many calibers for bear incdluding the 35 Whelen, 333 and 334 OKH
Originally Posted by BCBrian
The reason you'd want a handgun, is for popping your partner in the knee - before you go off running. Failing that, hunt with a fat guy...

Maybe all of your handguns are wimpy but, speak for yourself. Some of us acctualy own revolvers that put big game on the ground in a hurry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Like I said before...where you hit it is more important than what you hit it with.

Makes no difference what you hit it with if you don't hit it well...

Dennis
I would think a properly placed bullet from a 375 H&H would be just about perfect.
Originally Posted by muledeer
The best rifle is the one you're most likely to actually hit the bear in fatal areas with as it charges. Everything else is not relevant if you don't hit it in the right spot. The best cartridge is one that shoots well from the rifle you're carrying. Good bullets are important, but there are a lot of them out there.

Shotguns and slugs are very poor; if you're making a decision, carry a rifle.

I "officially" carried a .35 Whelen; the bears and I got along just fine and I never shot one. Hunting in bear country I've carried the Whelen and my .444, but I never had to shoot one then either.

Hitting one with a lighter rifle is quite a bit better than missing one with a heavier rifle...

Dennis

Cactus Jack wrote about Josea Sarber,....Game Warden in Alaska,Kodiak Island.
I'm not able to find a direct link / quote,....but I'm recalling him choosing a (Gasp) .270 Win.
The punchline that I recall well is " ....but, he was a cool and deadly shot".

I reckon it was in "The Rifle Book" or "The Hunting Rifle".
suffice it to say that I agree completely with your "Hit Well" proposition.

GTC
I was in the Yukon a few years ago and noticed they sold 375H&H and 458Win in the local hardware store.

I carried a 375 on that one.

Like I said before...where you hit it is more important than what you hit it with.

Makes no difference what you hit it with if you don't hit it well...

Dennis

A famous poster here about used to say:

placement, bullet, cartridge..............

this part "............." is a hint! wink

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.
Originally Posted by Winchester_69

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.

If you are going to report what "Phil Shoemaker" uses report in all and report accurately. Phil has used and still does use and recommends a 30-06. Phil has posted right here on the Campfire that a 30-06 is "perfectly adequate for the Big Bears"

This is the second post that I have corrected about "what Phil use's"

Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I've put this on before but it is from last fall and shows a boar that a client wounded and that I had to follow into some thick pucker brush with my 30-06 using 220 Partitions @ 2500fps.
While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

I can find more are is this is not enough?

Another quote from Phil

"slower 30's" ? If you can't do it with a 30-06 - THEN YOU CAN'T DO IT !
This is an exchange of what back up rifle Phil will be useing to backup his Bear hunters in the coming season

Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
What will his guide be backing him up with?

Taylor

Phil's responce

If my new rifle is done I will be backing him up with a 30-06 and 220 Nosler Partitions.

More from Phill in the same thread

The bears today are no larger or tougher than the bears of 50 years ago when the 30-06 was by far the most popular rifle carried by Alaskan guides. Andy Simms and Hosea Sarber and a hundred others found nothing wanting with the 30-06 then, and now, with the bullets we have today, the 30-06 is even better.

Contrary to some opinions, guides who recommend 30 calibers for bears do so to insure that they do not have to shoot their client's bears.

ANYONE WHO CLAIMS THE 30-06 IS INNEFFECTIVE HAS EITHER NOT TRIED ONE - OR IS UNINTENTIALLY COMMENTING ON THEIR MARKSMANSHIP.

Here is the thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Number/2041642/what/showflat/fpart/2/q/1

If you want more from Phil, do a search. I did
I've heard a saying before that goes something like this; "A .338 is just right, a .375 is just in case." Sounds about right to me!
Topic is about STOPPING GUNS, not "adequate" guns!
Originally Posted by AB2506

Why don't you expound on the difference? When a guide chooses a caliber for his back up, what do you call that adequate or stopping?
It's kind of cute how this topic seems to come up every month or so.
I'll probably never have the money to go hunting for any bear in Alaska, but I like to find out what the local experts think and believe in.

I grew up reading about all the different attacks and run ins with Grizzley, brown, and polar bears. It always seemed that if they were wounded or set on crewing your butt into little pieces they were VERY tough to kill before they got to you unless you hit them in the head or broke their necks.

I remember reading about some famous hunter/writer who ,along with his guide, were charged by an average sized Brown bear by their cabin. They were shooting at the bear and hitting it with everything they had [44 magnum handgun, and 338Win if IRC]and they back backed into the cabin before finally killing the bear. If I remember correctly, they hit it with 10-15rounds at nearly point blank range before the bear finally died. I think the article was in Outdoor life about 15 yrs ago.
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Evidently you've never hunted with a .475 or .500 Linebaugh.....but being from BC, you aren't allowed to hunt with handguns.

The only way to instantly stop a bear or any other animal, no matter what calliber one is shooting is with bullet placement. By this I mean a central nervous system hit or a Skelton stucture hit so as to diable the animal instantly, no other shot placement will always inflict an instant stop no matter what caliber you are useing

I agree...
I have always heard there was a difference between bringing down a animal and �Stopping� an adrenalized charge�

Since I am pretty clueless (except for hogs)I will sit back and wait for a reply.
I think the article was in Outdoor life about 15 yrs ago.

That probably explains a bit of the problem there. OL is sometimes a fun read, but probably not much more than that.

I'm pretty sure that a bear shot 10-15 times in the head and neck probably would stop attacking; whereas that many hits in the feet or guts may not work so well.
Apparently some of the people who've posted on this thread from such grizzly-infested places as Nebraska and Colorado didn't read the caption under Phil's photo of the big dead bear. He STOPPED that bear swhen it charged at very short range with his .30-06, after his client wounded it with a much bigger rifle.

Yes, there are tales of bears taking umpteen shots from all sorts of rifles (and handguns), but what is generally left out of such stories is that none of the shots hit a place to STOP the bear, or even kill it very quickly.

A .30-06 (especially with heavy premium bullets like the 200- or 220-grain Nosler Partitions) will stop a huge bear if put in the right place. A .375 bullet will just piss a bear off if put in the wrong place. So what is a "stopping" rifle? A rifle that's aimed correctly.
Originally Posted by temmi

I agree...
I have always heard there was a difference between bringing down a animal and �Stopping� an adrenalized charge�

Since I am pretty clueless (except for hogs)I will sit back and wait for a reply.

I always laugh when some claims that "stoping" and "adequate" arew differnt

Perhaps you did not see my reply above yours. There are no magical calibers, that suddenly change the biological make up of animals

Originally Posted by jwp475

The only way to instantly stop a bear or any other animal, no matter what calliber one is shooting is with bullet placement. By this I mean a central nervous system hit or a Skelton stucture hit so as to diable the animal instantly, no other shot placement will always inflict an instant stop no matter what caliber you are useing
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently some of the people who've posted on this thread from such grizzly-infested places as Nebraska and Colorado didn't read the caption under Phil's photo of the big dead bear. He STOPPED that bear swhen it charged at very short range with his .30-06, after his client wounded it with a much bigger rifle.

Yes, there are tales of bears taking umpteen shots from all sorts of rifles (and handguns), but what is generally left out of such stories is that none of the shots hit a place to STOP the bear, or even kill it very quickly.

A .30-06 (especially with heavy premium bullets like the 200- or 220-grain Nosler Partitions) will stop a huge bear if put in the right place. A .375 bullet will just piss a bear off if put in the wrong place. So what is a "stopping" rifle? A rifle that's aimed correctly.

The wording and accuracy of this post is outstanding and I can not agree more..
"So what is a "stopping" rifle? A rifle that's aimed correctly."

Nice. I like that.

I'll go ahead and tell you the difference between an "adequate" rifle and a "stopping" rifle

The difference is "shot location"
What a great thread! I can't agree with the experts more than I do!

No matter what the cartridge is, the caliber is, or the bullet is - if it isn't placed right - it won't stop the charge - and if it is placed right - it won't take a huge bullet - just a good one.

With no actual experience on any of the following, to back my opinion up - I would think that the same exact statement would hold just as true - with a charging Cape Buffalo, Hippo, Rhino or Lion too.
I always think this kind of question is wrong right from the wording of the question. The answer to the question as it is written is so easily debated on the semantic level.

I'd prefer to see something like: "What makes a hunter a good bear stopper?"

Then you've got three obvious steps in the answer:

1. Places shots well (and you can go on to develop the answer in more detail as has been done already.)

2. Chooses and uses adequate bullet.

3. Reliable rifle in adequate chambering is used.
A common theme though out this thread is the lack of acceptance of shotguns or handguns as the choice, if given a choice. Rifles seem to be the overwhelming choice regardless of caliber.
To folks who dismiss the 30/06. Check the regulations and see if you can bring an RPG on your Bear hunt

Here's hoping people pay attention to you guys...some of them haven't to me, and I've said the same thing twice on this thread... whistle.

When I shot my Cape buffalo with my .404, the two PH's with me were carrying .375's. I asked them if they felt comfortable, and their response was basically that they work just fine if you hit things properly, and nothing does if you don't. Being as that backed my viewpoint from Alaska et al, I felt pretty comfortable. Since I shot the buff at 50 ft in the nose and out the back of the skull, I guess the PH's felt comfortable with me too... smile.

This seems so simple to me, but maybe I'm just simple...

Dennis
To stop a bear from charging, take away his Visa.
That would also keep those dang bears from walking back and forth over the Canadian/U.S. border.
I suppose if a 30-06 is good enough then an 8mm Mauser properly loaded(200 grain partitions maybe) would be enough as well ? Craig
I would say so--and my guess is that Phil Shoemaker would say so too.
I think the proper question is "What gun for stopping Alaska's small to average size bears" since those the ones you're more than likely to have problems with. I would guess that most of the brown bears that get DLP'd are 500 pounds or less.

One thing to realize in the situations where you hear of a bear being shot 8 or 10 times before dying is that if the fellows doing the shooting are doing their jobs, the first shot is lethal. However since you're shooting to stop the threat rather than just kill, a smart man keeps pouring the lead on. Another consideration is tracking. I enjoy tracking wounded deer, not brown bears. If he goes down in my sight, I keep shooting to make sure he doesn't get back up.
[Linked Image]

Jayco grin
I'm curious: Why would this question mostly involve small to medium-sized bears? And even if it "mostly" did, why would that prevent the question from applying to big bears?
Originally Posted by bcraig
I suppose if a 30-06 is good enough then an 8mm Mauser properly loaded(200 grain partitions maybe) would be enough as well ? Craig

Only if it's 8-06! smile
MD, I'm going off of my experience. Most of the bears I've had problems with were four year old males or sows with cubs. Also, since small/average size bears make up most of the population they are ones you'll most likely run into. It seems like everyone has visions that every bear they'll deal with will be some huge monster. Then again, now that I think about it the vast majority of people will tell you that every bear they've ever seen was "Huge!"
In all these scenarios, know one ever mentions adrenalin and the effect it has on some hunters whether it be Deer/Elk or Bears.Like other things in life,keeping your heartbeat and mind set at a minimum, effects the outcome of the impending threat whether it is Bears or other critters.Those that are around it the most have a higher chance of making the first strike count, knowing another might not be possible.

I have not hunted Alaska or probably never will but I have been charged by one average Idaho Black bear after some nutcase of a guide down river from Elk Lake near Grandgene, blew it out of a tree with a .38 from his snapping wee wee dogs treeing it,then it got into my horses which were tied up and he turned on me feet away yelling and took one .270 Win/130 Nosler to the chest/hit the dirt/got up and spun around three times bawling and died on the spot.

The point being,I am and was around it all the time and adrenalin never is a factor in my being outdoors around whatever Idaho has to offer.Just another day on the job.

Bullet placement(with a quality bullet) is first and foremost and the first one has to be the best one, even if it takes another second or two.I have total confidence in the four rifles I hunt with(300 Win Mag/30-06/270 Win and 45-70) knowing if I had the time,all four would drop any animal in North America.

Just an opinion from Idaho.

Jayco
pabucktail,

What kind of bears have you have experience with? Black bears or grizzlies? Or both?
44 magnum was a good stopper
That would be handy as a carry pistol to kill yourself with if a bear was mauling.

If I were ever able to afford a brown bear hunt, I would pick up a M70 .338 Win. mag for the trip.
Can't say how a 44 mag revolver would work on bear but can say a Marlin 44 mag. loaded with 270 Gold Dots shot directly into a 1500 lb. cows fore head will plow deep down into the neck and break it in a manner that it is obviously unhinged.
Guy who did the butchering was like HS!
MD, I will PM when I get a chance later today.
jwp475 has shown what a heavy handgun can do for those that can handle the recoil.My personal favorite is a 525 grain cast out of my BFR 45-70 at 1300 fps(35,000 PSI)..Never shot anything with it but I do have the confidence it will do the job if I do mine.

Jayco

Here's hoping people pay attention to you guys...some of them haven't to me, and I've said the same thing twice on this thread... whistle.

When I shot my Cape buffalo with my .404, the two PH's with me were carrying .375's. I asked them if they felt comfortable, and their response was basically that they work just fine if you hit things properly, and nothing does if you don't. Being as that backed my viewpoint from Alaska et al, I felt pretty comfortable. Since I shot the buff at 50 ft in the nose and out the back of the skull, I guess the PH's felt comfortable with me too... smile.

This seems so simple to me, but maybe I'm just simple...

Dennis

Wonder what would happen if these were pasted in the Africa forum? whistle

Wonder what would happen if these were pasted in the Africa forum?

grin grin grin

JJ Hack would start another anti 45-70 thread!

Jayco sick
Okay,I guess I am going to have to quote, as I do follow what Phil has to say about Bears on the internet.

For forty years the 30-06 was THE Alaskan Guides rifle of choice and worked just fine on big bears then and still does.
The 240 Woodleighs run around 2250 fps from a 22 inch bbl.
I guess if we listen to all these opinions and distill them down to what gives both velocity and range plus stopping power then a Barrett 50 BMG should be the ultimate all around rifle. However, not being as tough as I once was, I think I'll stick to my 30-06 and 200 partitions.

I have learned that it doesn't really matter a whole lot what rifle a bear hunter carries IF HE CAN USE IT. This afternoon I was just re-reading Jim Reardon's new book where he discusses the world record Brown Bear hunt. That bear, which they estimated weighed 1300-1400 pounds, squared an honest (as opposed to streched) 10' 5". Ray Lindsey killed it at 30 yards with his 30-06 and 180 gr bullets - which he prefered over the .405.
If using bigger rifles make you feel better then use one. I carry my 458 when guiding for the same reason, but to argue that the 30-06 is insufficient for big bears is to ignore facts.

If this forum is for picking one rifle for ALL N AM game including bears (instead of simply who's favorite big bore is potentially a better bear slayer) and all you are looking at is one or two bears in a lifetime then anything from the .270 thru the .338 will fit the bill perfectly. My vote is with the 30-06 because I have one that I have used all over the globe but I certaily wouldn't argue with anyone who chooses a 7mm or 300 magnum either.

I have settled on the Buffalo Bore 430 hard cast bullets in both mine and my wife's 45-70 bear defense rifles. If a bear gets to you when you use these it won't be because of bullet failure.

Sorry for the quote butttttt.

Jayco

No need to appoligize, it's a great quote...
Just for the record. It was Roy not Ray Lindsey who shot the bear for a museum. Roy described this hunt for me in the 1950s. My memory is that he borrowed the rifle.

If you are going to report what "Phil Shoemaker" uses report in all and report accurately. Phil has used and still does use and recommends a 30-06. Phil has posted right here on the Campfire that a 30-06 is "perfectly adequate for the Big Bears"

[Linked Image]

I've put this on before but it is from last fall and shows a boar that a client wounded and that I had to follow into some thick pucker brush with my 30-06 using 220 Partitions @ 2500fps.
While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 -

Did you overlook this part?
It's your nose, (and ass) you pick it.

JW
Since this forum is strictly about stopping wounded bears - rather than hunting them- If I had to go after one today and I could pick any rifle I would take this one. My MkX 458 loaded with either 500gr Hornady Interbonds or 450gr Swift A-Frames

[Linked Image]
Since this forum is strictly about stopping wounded bears - rather than hunting them- If I had to go after one today and I could pick any rifle I would take this one. My MkX 458 loaded with either 500gr Hornady Interbonds or 450gr Swift A-Frames

[Linked Image]

That would have been my choice but this site is .416 friendly and .458's are more common with hunters who have used .416's.

John

Did you miss this part of Phill's quote?

I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.
I have used a lot of rifles and calibers on bears and have learned that the single most important factor is the skill, knowledge and nerve of the shooter.
Calibers and bullets do make a difference but not as much as virtually everybody on the is forum seems to think.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

[Linked Image]

That would have been my choice but this site is .416 friendly and .458's are more common with hunters who have used .416's.

John

Maybe this is not enough wound channel damage and a large bore was needed.

[Linked Image]

Maybe all of your handguns are wimpy but, speak for yourself. Some of us acctualy own revolvers that put big game on the ground in a hurry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll go ahead and tell you the difference between an "adequate" rifle and a "stopping" rifle

So if I read you correctly, there are wimpy handguns and powerful handguns, but all rifles are equal given proper "shot location".
Originally Posted by free_miner

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So if I read you correctly, there are wimpy handguns and powerful handguns, but all rifles are equal given proper "shot location".

No you did not read me correctly. How you got that impresion is beyound me. No one has even remote sugested that a 22 center fire is enough rifle. The info put forth has said that a 30-06 was enough and will stop big bears with proper shot placement. Bigger rifles do not stop with poor shot location. A bigger rifle will always make one fell better, because we have been programed all of our lives that "bigger is better" wheter it is nessecary or not.

No you did not read me correctly. How you got that impresion is beyound me. No one has even remote sugested that a 22 center fire is enough rifle. The info put forth has said that a 30-06 was enough and will stop big bears with proper shot placement. Bigger rifles do not stop with poor shot location. A bigger rifle will always make one fell better, because we have been programed all of our lives that "bigger is better" wheter it is nessecary or not.

I know. Just funnin with you. Despite the imoprtance of shot placement, there is still a 'minimum' amount of energy and penetration required.

Energy? 2 Ram running together butting heads generate over 5,000 FPE and they walk away. Energy is a poor indicator of terminal performance.

A 200 pound man running 30 feet per secound (a 10 flat hundred) has nearly 2800 FPE yet there are faster and larger men play football running together and they get up and return to the huddle

Energy? 2 Ram running together butting heads generate over 5,000 FPE and they walk away. Energy is a poor indicator of terminal performance.

A 200 pound man running 30 feet per secound (a 10 flat hundred) has nearly 2800 FPE yet there are faster and larger men play football running together and they get up and return to the huddle

ok ok you win, a minimum amount of penetration, plus whatever jwp475 says a good bullet does to kill an animal grin grin

So what is the handgun equivalent to the 'benchmark' 30-06 220 partition combo, dealing with large thin skinned game?

A 420 grain LFN hardcast from a 475 Linebaugh and the 525 Grain WLFN from the 500 Linebaugh and the 425 grain truncated cone flat point hard cast with a 78% of bullet diameter meplat will shoot completely through both shoulders of large Mature Bison, Asisan Buffalo, etc. This I know because I have done so. I am sure that other bullets will work, but I have no experience with them. I know that when I use one of the big bore revolver they never cease to amaze me with their ability to put big animals on the ground fast. This type of performance is indeed bullet dependent and dependent on proper shot location. I have used them with bullets that gave incrediably bad performance and effectiveness even with proper shot location.
My favorite rifle calliber and one that has worked incredably well for me on very large game has been the 338 win. It has always been very effective for me. I know others that have used it and require multipule shots to get animals on the ground. There are many factors at play, I simply believe that once one has a good bulllet of sufficient wieght and calliber it will be effective with proper shot location
How about another opinion from another Master Guide in Alaska as written to my friend,Randy Garrett....Jerry Jacques on rifle/bullet choice for his sons bear hunt.

"Mr. Garrett, I am a Master Guide in Alaska and a Licensed Professional Hunter in Africa. I have made a full time living as guide since 1975 and have over the years tested the bullets from every major bullet maker and from most of the custom bullet makers. I chose to use your 45-70 ammo because it is by far the best. I do not believe that any better load exists to go into thick brush after a wounded Grizzly. I had unlimited choices of rifles and calibers that my son could use. I have custom rifles in medium and big bore up to 470 Nitro.We decided on Jason using a factory rifle, the Marlin Guide Rifle in 45-70.

The end result is that 9 year old Jason shot a beautiful 8' 7" Grizzly with your 45-70 ammo. From 45 yards the 540 gr. bullet struck the bear broadside in the left shoulder. Breaking the shoulder, going through the rib cage on both sides and breaking the right shoulder, then exiting the bear. This was a devastating blow to a tough animal. The bear made one jump when hit then collapsed dead 18 feet from where he was standing.
Thank you for making the excellent ammo that helped make my son's hunt a success. "
Jerry Jacques

[Linked Image]

Jayco

[Linked Image]

That is truly a beautiful weapon to this hunter's eyes! (And I can appreciate the photo set-up with the weathered moose antler against a backdrop of plywood which might easily have been painted with $2/gallon paint from the mis-tint shelves over at SBS. laugh ) Or maybe that just looks too much like something I'd see out here; it has the look of "this works".
So much for high energy figures....

GARRETT'S 45-70 HAMMERHEAD AMMO
$80 / 20 CTGS

540-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST GAS-CHECKED HAMMERHEAD AT 1550-FPS

THIS 45-70 AMMUNITION IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE ONLY IN MODERN MARLIN RIFLES WITH BALLARD BARRELS.

ENERGY: 2880 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 55; MEPLAT: .360"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 35,000-CUP; SECTIONAL DENSITY: .368; TRAJECTORY: +1.5" @ 50-YDS; ZERO @ 100-YDS; -6.5" @ 150-YDS

Not even close to a 416 Rem or 458 Win

[Linked Image]
Alright, I was hoping to see Ol' Ugly!
I also do not think much of energy numbers..Just as this 45-70 load of a 540 grain bullet at 1550 fps only had an energy number of 2880 FT/LBS at the muzzle; but a TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE of 55, yet it penetrated both shoulders of this nice Bear and exited, ending his life in a humane and quick manner.

Jayco
78% of bullet diameter meplat

There's the hammer.

A friend of mine ambushes deer with a 475 Linebaugh. IIRC he's using a mild load of W231 under a 400 grain'ish WFN type bullet. He tells me it's just "pop" and they fold like right now. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
78% of bullet diameter meplat

There's the hammer.

A friend of mine ambushes deer with a 475 Linebaugh. IIRC he's using a mild load of W231 under a 400 grain'ish WFN type bullet. He tells me it's just "pop" and they fold like right now. grin

They do despite the low amount of FPE. Yes the wide Meplat is a huge part of the total equation
I have used a lot of rifles and calibers on bears and have learned that the single most important factor is the skill, knowledge and nerve of the shooter.
Calibers and bullets do make a difference but not as much as virtually everybody on the is forum seems to think.

Pretty much what I've long said as well, and when talking other critters besides big bruins this is very true as well. Lots of people come unglued when it's game time..

The only thing I'd add is that I don't feel that virtually everybody on the forum seems to think that cals/bullets make the big diff but I would say that a lot of people do so. And it's pretty easy to spot especially come time to talk about elk cals. IMO those with the least experience in killing elk often tend to think that people need the bigger cals for elk.

Dober
Gentlemen, The wonderous secret everyone wants to know about is called "fissure". Tear a bloody great hole in flesh, break a bone here and there and life become short.

Most contriibutors are correct in "their" choices. Much ado about nothing? If in doubt, consult your PH prior to packing your fiream.

JW
Speaking as someone with no experience with bear hunting, why would a 12 gauge, 3" or 3 1/2" slug be a poor choice. Only one person so far has mentioned it and said it would be a poor option.

I would think a reliable pump gun which you could send alot of lead out in a hurry should work. In the scenario mentioned in the first post shots were going to be up close. I know it wouldnt have the penetration of a rifle round but shooting into the front of a animal it should at least penetrate through the CNS system and the shoulders.

I did shoot a bull moose in Vermont with a 2 3/4" 12 gauge slug a few years back. Bull was scared and running top speed from my right to left at 30 yards. Shot him in the shoulder and he folded instantly. I know the bears are another animal but I would think you could get through to the parts that matter.

Scott

[Linked Image]

"While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it. "

Seems his conclusion is pretty clear - while a properly loaded 30-06 will do, a 458 would be preferable.
Originally Posted by natman

[Linked Image]

"While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it. "

Seems his conclusion is pretty clear - while a properly loaded 30-06 will do, a 458 would be preferable.

And what part of the stop was found lacking with the 30-06? That of course is the main conclusion of that statement. Trying to manipulate the outcome contrary to the results is how the effectiveness of the 30-06 is missed
Just as a certain level of recoil seems to give some folks great confidence in their rifle, I think something similar happens with shotguns in terms of "power" perceptions. While I have not recovered even the GameKings I've shot into bears from the 375 H&H at 100ish yards or so, this well regarded slug:

[Linked Image]

was stopped by a young boar in a DLP situation at around 1/4 the distance. It took him through the chest roughly broadside and it simply kicked him into loping mode - until he was sufficiently drained of his lifeblood that he could not continue. One would have thought that the "power" of such a large diameter slug would have "knocked the snot" out of a small bear at little more than spitting distance, but it didn't. Simply making a big hole with plenty of "energy" does not guarantee that a bear will be stopped. What you make the hole through may.

Klikitarik, precisely
It may be fun to imagine what exactly would be the single perfect caliber and bullet to stop a close range charge but in actual practice a guide has to deal with the possibility of having to stop a wounded bear from escaping - often from long distances and for that a rifle is necessary.
The best way to stop a bear charge is to kill it before it gets the chance to charge.
I don't know much about bears. I've seen them up to 500 pounds in the wild and killed a 400 pounder with 150gr FMJ bullets at maybe 2550 fps. I do know that when I go to the [bleep] at night outside Fairbanks, I am more comfortable with a .375 than a .44.
Phil-on stopping a bruin bent on getting a piece of me I've always thought that a CNS would be the reliable way to get it done.

And to my question, if ones close and coming fast do you go CNS or do you go chest? I've kind of thought that a chest shot may turn them but it may not..?

And if you feel comfy that a chest hit would likely turn or slow them down greatly do you feel the same way about it if you're using your 458 and or 06?

I've always thought I'd go with my G33/40 and a good bullet over my 375 as I can control and regain target quicker with the gun that bumps me around less.

Thx for your time

Dober
Not to flurry the waters, but didn't Ed Stevenson get beat up by a bear he hit in the "chest" with a 375?
Is that flurry the waters or furry the waters...grin

Dober
A dead bear would furry the waters....and I think Ed has a beard, so?
I have killed Cape buffalo with the 8x57, 7x57, 30-06, 338, 9.3x62 and they work if you put the bullet in the right place, at least 80% of the time...I don't really crave those odds..same on bear, lots of calibers will kill'em...I know of a buffalo killed with a 22 hornet, and an elephant and a Lion killed with a 44 magnum, pictures and references such as this don't impress me much, they are nothing more than braggin rights and could get one in a real mess.

If I am going to be charged, I want a gun twice as big as the one I carry and I don't care what caliber I'm packing..but I "usually" have a 375 or better on bear or buffalo and have always made them do..One thing that has always come to mind with me when I see a charge situation developing is "Damn, I wish I had my .470 double rilfe with me today" smile

For any Dangerous Game one should have at least a 375, thats just plain simple good advise anyway you cut it. As to my hunting with lighter calibers I was young and just had to try it, and it got me in mild trouble and enough to wake me up.
I haven't been around browns but frequently see black bears when up in the hills. Have encountered blacks up close or in the brush and a 454 Casull feels like a toy. When carrying a 458, no sweat. Haven't ever felt the need to shoot one in defense but if I ever need to stop one, I would prefer the bigger hammer. If things ever get ugly, I have enough confidence in the 458 to stand my ground and place the shot.
As you know it would be Guides luxury or in your case a PH to know when he is going to be Charged. SEMPER PARATUS.

FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS.

And what part of the stop was found lacking with the 30-06? That of course is the main conclusion of that statement. Trying to manipulate the outcome contrary to the results is how the effectiveness of the 30-06 is missed

There is no "manipulation" going on in my post. Again, let me quote:

So while Shoemaker considers a 30-06 adequate for big bears, anyone that wants to say that he uses and prefers a 458 is completely justified in doing so and does not need correcting.

So while Shoemaker considers a 30-06 adequate for big bears, anyone that wants to say that he uses and prefers a 458 is completely justified in doing so and does not need correcting.

While not incorrect in and of itself, it is only a portion of the facts and not complete
That said I have seen a 458 knock a brown bear's dick in the dirt RIGHT now.

[Linked Image]

Poor choice in scopes, you'd never be able to pick out a bear in the pucker brush with that scope unless it was bright ass sunshine. A 4x S&B would do SO much better for you...........
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That said I have seen a 458 knock a brown bear's dick in the dirt RIGHT now.

I have no dought about that... I have seen lesser rounds do the same and I am certain that so have you
I've seen a triple tap from a Garand put the breaks on one also, but I'll not like to ever relive that one and I was the third wheel in that group.
The only thing I've ever used a 458 in anger for was a rockchuck or three, and it knocked their peckers in the dirt toot sweet as well... grin

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
The only thing I've ever used a 458 in anger for was a rockchuck or three, and it knocked their peckers in the dirt toot sweet as well... grin

Dober

Mark,
I figured you would have gone with at least a 50 BMG for those chucks.
Sheesh!
grin
Seems to me that a well placed shot from a capable bullet will end in death to the intended target regardless of the energy numbers.

This topic is about "What gun for stopping Alaska's big bears." and here are two more examples from alaska.

"The bear (coastal grizzly) had been hit once with a 375 H&H, but wound not go down. When he turn and started running in the opposite direction I hit him in the rump with the 45-70 at about 120 yards. He went only about 30 yards more before stopping. When we skinned him we found the 420 gr Hammerhead had entered on his right side rump, passing though and destroying the pelvis. I recovered the bullet under the skin beyond the right front shoulder (full length penetration). The bear squared 9'6'' and had a 25 5/8" skull. Amazing penetration!"
- Paul Lenmark, Boise, ID (coastal grizzly guide)

"This grizzly was killed in Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Park in the Eagle Nest Mountain Range of Northern British Columbia. He squared over 8 feet and the skull measured 23 13/16'', which is very good size for an interior mountain grizzly bear. When I shot the bear, he had started a charge from about 70 yards away, and by the time I had a sight on him, he was 40 yards. The 540 Hammerhead hit him right between the front legs, and he did a complete front-wards flip after the bullet hit him. That bullet completely penetrated him lengthwise and exited. I made a follow up shot (which was unnecessary, just instinct) after he rolled which angled through the chest, took out a section of spine, and exited the top of his skull (if you look closely at the photo you can see the exit hole in his head). Very impressive bullet performance."
- Tyler Serle, Albuquerque, British Columbia

Jayco
I have also seen the .470 and 500 fail on buffalo, so the fact that a caliber worked a few times does not mean it can't fail, over confidence in a caliber can get one in trouble as it might effect his shooting..Caliber cannot and never will take the place of good shooting, it is only a factor, albiet an important factor...

I know the 30-06 has enough penetration for even elephant with proper bullets, and will kill anything with a properly placed shot. Its a better stopper with a brain or spine shot than it is with a heart/lung shot where it may or may not save your bacon..for this shot I want all the power I can handle..Hey that only makes since, to think otherwise is just wrong.

I would hunt anything with a properly loaded 30-06,but its not the best choice for most folks IMO, and not my choice in a charge situation, not by a long shot.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Poor choice in scopes, you'd never be able to pick out a bear in the pucker brush with that scope unless it was bright ass sunshine. A 4x S&B would do SO much better for you...........

grin

Yeah! Well, at 13" of superior optical performance, that S&B better be tougher than an SoB for clattering in the thick since it will undoubtedly get knocked around a bit more too. wink

While not incorrect in and of itself, it is only a portion of the facts and not complete

Take a look at this post and explain which portion of the "facts" I've left out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The fact is, if he did not prefer to use the 30-06 that day he would not have carried it to use as his back up, meaning it is plenty effective
I remember when I was eleven or twelve, there was an article in either Sports Afield or F&S about a woman trapper who killed a huge brown bear with a 22 rifle. I even remember the picture of her in the article. In her case shot placement was everything I suppose, but with ALL DEFERENCE AND RESPECT to Phil and others, I think it's pure folly to hunt those big bears with an 06 when there are clearly better suited calibers for it. In my view a 338 with gr premium bullets is a sensible starting point.

Full disclosure, I've never hunted Brown Bear but I have hunted dangerous game and maybe someday after I'm done with Africa, I'll book one. jorge
My personal "bear rifles" are a 350 Rem Mag Model Seven and a Model 700AWR in 375H&H but I've never been able to make it to brown bear country.

If I were thinking of a rifle to stop a charge I think I'd feel all warm and fuzzy with a slicked up Model 70 CRF in 458WM with Express Sights.

But then I've never been able to do any more than READ about brown bears... <sigh>

$bob$
but with ALL DEFERENCE AND RESPECT to Phil and others, I think it's pure folly to hunt those big bears with an 06 when there are clearly better suited calibers for it. In my view a 338 with gr premium bullets is a sensible starting point.

Full disclosure, I've never hunted Brown Bear
That's pretty funny!
The last bear I kilt' wink was with a boring old 30-06 w/ a 180 Hornady, and a measley 54.4 grains of H4350. Even the scope lacked substance as it was a boring 4X. Shot placement wasnt ideal as I smacked him a little far back in the liver. At the shot he fell, then got up and ran into the thick stuff as most bears do. After we let him stiffen up a while, we found him dead in the thick stuff facing us.

On the same trip my buddy shot a large bear with 300 WM and Winchester 180 Power Points. It dropped at the shot, tried to get up, but he slammed it again and it was game over.

Is the 300WM that much more than an ot'six? Not in my opinion, what was trumped was the shot placement. He put the bullet where it needed to be.

The bear I killed before that was in with my 375H&H. I put a big Hornady 300RN behind his shoulder, he did a death leap and never got back up. Again, shot placement was good, bear died. So I guess one could speculate that going caliber down (smaller), doesnt make you suddenly place your shots better, being familiar with a rifle that you are comfortable with does.

Something that hasnt been mentioned on this thread is the fact that bear dont bleed well be they black or brown. Most of the ones Ive seen hit with 30 calibers, leave little blood, usually most from their mouth depending on where there hit. We dont use many premium bullets, so maybe that why. The ones hit with 375 usually leave a blood trail you can follow while standing up.

[Linked Image]

The fact is, if he did not prefer to use the 30-06 that day he would not have carried it to use as his back up, meaning it is plenty effective

Yes, I've already mentioned that:

"So while Shoemaker considers a 30-06 adequate for big bears, anyone that wants to say that he uses and prefers a 458 is completely justified in doing so and does not need correcting."
Dmsbandit said,
I remember reading about some famous hunter/writer who ,along with his guide, were charged by an average sized Brown bear by their cabin. They were shooting at the bear and hitting it with everything they had [44 magnum handgun, and 338Win if IRC]and they back backed into the cabin before finally killing the bear. If I remember correctly, they hit it with 10-15rounds at nearly point blank range before the bear finally died.

I remember that story from Hunting For Handgunners, that would've been Larry Kelly (of Mag-Na-Port fame). IIRC, it was about a 7 or 7 1/2 foot grizzly. Gist of it was the .44 mag had some inadequate bullets that didn't penetrate and shortly thereafter they killed a much larger one using a different bullet with no problems.
Of course an '06 can kill a bear, even a big one. So could a whole slew of calibers including a .243. In fact, I'd be surprised if a .243 hadn't. 7x57 has killed elephants too, doesn't mean I'd want to try it. I'll never intentionally shoot a large animal capable of hunting back at me with less than a .30 rifle and MUCH prefer the idea of a big .33. If you're wanting to "stop" something that'd be even more the case since it pretty much implies something has already gotten sideways.

It's obviously terribly redundant to state that if you can't shoot it well don't carry it, much less against dangerous quarry. I don't tend to carry what I think is enough if things go as planned but rather what I think is enough if they don't. That's just me...you carry what you feel comfortable with.
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Wait 'til I get some popcorn..........

Pete

Well if we're talking browns instead of blacks, I'd probablly move up to a 180 grn in my .357.
© 24hourcampfire