Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Winchester_69
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.

If you are going to report what "Phil Shoemaker" uses report in all and report accurately. Phil has used and still does use and recommends a 30-06. Phil has posted right here on the Campfire that a 30-06 is "perfectly adequate for the Big Bears"

This is the second post that I have corrected about "what Phil use's"

Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I've put this on before but it is from last fall and shows a boar that a client wounded and that I had to follow into some thick pucker brush with my 30-06 using 220 Partitions @ 2500fps.
While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

I can find more are is this is not enough?

While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 -

Did you overlook this part?

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's your nose, (and ass) you pick it.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since this forum is strictly about stopping wounded bears - rather than hunting them- If I had to go after one today and I could pick any rifle I would take this one. My MkX 458 loaded with either 500gr Hornady Interbonds or 450gr Swift A-Frames

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Since this forum is strictly about stopping wounded bears - rather than hunting them- If I had to go after one today and I could pick any rifle I would take this one. My MkX 458 loaded with either 500gr Hornady Interbonds or 450gr Swift A-Frames

[Linked Image]

That would have been my choice but this site is .416 friendly and .458's are more common with hunters who have used .416's.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Did you miss this part of Phill's quote?

I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used a lot of rifles and calibers on bears and have learned that the single most important factor is the skill, knowledge and nerve of the shooter.
Calibers and bullets do make a difference but not as much as virtually everybody on the is forum seems to think.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

[Linked Image]

That would have been my choice but this site is .416 friendly and .458's are more common with hunters who have used .416's.

John

Maybe this is not enough wound channel damage and a large bore was needed.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Maybe all of your handguns are wimpy but, speak for yourself. Some of us acctualy own revolvers that put big game on the ground in a hurry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AB2506
Topic is about STOPPING GUNS, not "adequate" guns!

I'll go ahead and tell you the difference between an "adequate" rifle and a "stopping" rifle

The difference is "shot location"

So if I read you correctly, there are wimpy handguns and powerful handguns, but all rifles are equal given proper "shot location".

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by free_miner

Maybe all of your handguns are wimpy but, speak for yourself. Some of us acctualy own revolvers that put big game on the ground in a hurry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AB2506
Topic is about STOPPING GUNS, not "adequate" guns!

I'll go ahead and tell you the difference between an "adequate" rifle and a "stopping" rifle

The difference is "shot location"

So if I read you correctly, there are wimpy handguns and powerful handguns, but all rifles are equal given proper "shot location".

No you did not read me correctly. How you got that impresion is beyound me. No one has even remote sugested that a 22 center fire is enough rifle. The info put forth has said that a 30-06 was enough and will stop big bears with proper shot placement. Bigger rifles do not stop with poor shot location. A bigger rifle will always make one fell better, because we have been programed all of our lives that "bigger is better" wheter it is nessecary or not.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

No you did not read me correctly. How you got that impresion is beyound me. No one has even remote sugested that a 22 center fire is enough rifle. The info put forth has said that a 30-06 was enough and will stop big bears with proper shot placement. Bigger rifles do not stop with poor shot location. A bigger rifle will always make one fell better, because we have been programed all of our lives that "bigger is better" wheter it is nessecary or not.

I know. Just funnin with you. Despite the imoprtance of shot placement, there is still a 'minimum' amount of energy and penetration required.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Energy? 2 Ram running together butting heads generate over 5,000 FPE and they walk away. Energy is a poor indicator of terminal performance.

A 200 pound man running 30 feet per secound (a 10 flat hundred) has nearly 2800 FPE yet there are faster and larger men play football running together and they get up and return to the huddle

Last edited by jwp475; 03/11/10.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Energy? 2 Ram running together butting heads generate over 5,000 FPE and they walk away. Energy is a poor indicator of terminal performance.

A 200 pound man running 30 feet per secound (a 10 flat hundred) has nearly 2800 FPE yet there are faster and larger men play football running together and they get up and return to the huddle

ok ok you win, a minimum amount of penetration, plus whatever jwp475 says a good bullet does to kill an animal grin grin

So what is the handgun equivalent to the 'benchmark' 30-06 220 partition combo, dealing with large thin skinned game?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A 420 grain LFN hardcast from a 475 Linebaugh and the 525 Grain WLFN from the 500 Linebaugh and the 425 grain truncated cone flat point hard cast with a 78% of bullet diameter meplat will shoot completely through both shoulders of large Mature Bison, Asisan Buffalo, etc. This I know because I have done so. I am sure that other bullets will work, but I have no experience with them. I know that when I use one of the big bore revolver they never cease to amaze me with their ability to put big animals on the ground fast. This type of performance is indeed bullet dependent and dependent on proper shot location. I have used them with bullets that gave incrediably bad performance and effectiveness even with proper shot location.
My favorite rifle calliber and one that has worked incredably well for me on very large game has been the 338 win. It has always been very effective for me. I know others that have used it and require multipule shots to get animals on the ground. There are many factors at play, I simply believe that once one has a good bulllet of sufficient wieght and calliber it will be effective with proper shot location

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about another opinion from another Master Guide in Alaska as written to my friend,Randy Garrett....Jerry Jacques on rifle/bullet choice for his sons bear hunt.

"Mr. Garrett, I am a Master Guide in Alaska and a Licensed Professional Hunter in Africa. I have made a full time living as guide since 1975 and have over the years tested the bullets from every major bullet maker and from most of the custom bullet makers. I chose to use your 45-70 ammo because it is by far the best. I do not believe that any better load exists to go into thick brush after a wounded Grizzly. I had unlimited choices of rifles and calibers that my son could use. I have custom rifles in medium and big bore up to 470 Nitro.We decided on Jason using a factory rifle, the Marlin Guide Rifle in 45-70.

The end result is that 9 year old Jason shot a beautiful 8' 7" Grizzly with your 45-70 ammo. From 45 yards the 540 gr. bullet struck the bear broadside in the left shoulder. Breaking the shoulder, going through the rib cage on both sides and breaking the right shoulder, then exiting the bear. This was a devastating blow to a tough animal. The bear made one jump when hit then collapsed dead 18 feet from where he was standing.
Thank you for making the excellent ammo that helped make my son's hunt a success. "
Jerry Jacques

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

That is truly a beautiful weapon to this hunter's eyes! (And I can appreciate the photo set-up with the weathered moose antler against a backdrop of plywood which might easily have been painted with $2/gallon paint from the mis-tint shelves over at SBS. laugh ) Or maybe that just looks too much like something I'd see out here; it has the look of "this works".

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
So much for high energy figures....

GARRETT'S 45-70 HAMMERHEAD AMMO
$80 / 20 CTGS

540-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST GAS-CHECKED HAMMERHEAD AT 1550-FPS

THIS 45-70 AMMUNITION IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE ONLY IN MODERN MARLIN RIFLES WITH BALLARD BARRELS.

ENERGY: 2880 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 55; MEPLAT: .360"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 35,000-CUP; SECTIONAL DENSITY: .368; TRAJECTORY: +1.5" @ 50-YDS; ZERO @ 100-YDS; -6.5" @ 150-YDS

Not even close to a 416 Rem or 458 Win

Last edited by jwp475; 03/11/10.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]
Alright, I was hoping to see Ol' Ugly!

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I also do not think much of energy numbers..Just as this 45-70 load of a 540 grain bullet at 1550 fps only had an energy number of 2880 FT/LBS at the muzzle; but a TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE of 55, yet it penetrated both shoulders of this nice Bear and exited, ending his life in a humane and quick manner.

Jayco

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
78% of bullet diameter meplat

There's the hammer.

A friend of mine ambushes deer with a 475 Linebaugh. IIRC he's using a mild load of W231 under a 400 grain'ish WFN type bullet. He tells me it's just "pop" and they fold like right now. grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mathman
78% of bullet diameter meplat

There's the hammer.

A friend of mine ambushes deer with a 475 Linebaugh. IIRC he's using a mild load of W231 under a 400 grain'ish WFN type bullet. He tells me it's just "pop" and they fold like right now. grin

They do despite the low amount of FPE. Yes the wide Meplat is a huge part of the total equation

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.