Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Winchester_69
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.

If you are going to report what "Phil Shoemaker" uses report in all and report accurately. Phil has used and still does use and recommends a 30-06. Phil has posted right here on the Campfire that a 30-06 is "perfectly adequate for the Big Bears"

This is the second post that I have corrected about "what Phil use's"

Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I've put this on before but it is from last fall and shows a boar that a client wounded and that I had to follow into some thick pucker brush with my 30-06 using 220 Partitions @ 2500fps.
While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

I can find more are is this is not enough?

While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 -

Did you overlook this part?

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre