Home
Posted By: Hammer1 Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10

Sixteen gauge shooters are used to paying double or triple for shotshells what 12 gauge shooters pay.

We accept it as part of the premium for shooting a superior gun.

How much more should we have to pay for the original gun ?

Have seen some vintage shotguns where the 16 gauge, when it can be found, is double or more what the same gun in 12 gauge would cost.

Guess that is OK.

When it gets to be triple or four times more for the 16 gauge gun, should we yell foul ?

Notice that 16 gauge shooters all have beautiful wives, intelligent well-behaved children, and obedient dogs.

Posted By: 7 STW Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
I dearly love my 16 for all upland game.My only bitch is 15 bucks for a box of Federal #6 lead shot.Heavy game loads from Winchester in 12 guage touch over 5 bucks.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
I can't FIND 16 gauge ammo in my area.
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
I would like to sell a model 24 W 16 ga. and I like the way you think.
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10

Have seen rooster pheasants fall from the sky even before the 16 gauge shooter has fired.

The mere presence of a 16 gauge has an impact.

Posted By: luv2safari Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Its getting harder all the time, so stock up when you find a deal.

WallyWorld used to sell it here, but they don't even stock pheasant shells in 12 and 20ga anymore...the fuggin bottom-liners have ruined what was still good with that worthless chain now.
smirk
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
Here you go Bruce, from this morning.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4571456/Would_you_be_Happy#Post4571456
Originally Posted by Hammer1

Sixteen gauge shooters are used to paying double or triple for shotshells what 12 gauge shooters pay.

Have seen some vintage shotguns where the 16 gauge, when it can be found, is double or more what the same gun in 12 gauge would cost.

Guess that is OK.

When it gets to be triple or four times more for the 16 gauge gun, should we yell foul ?

Notice that 16 gauge shooters all have beautiful wives, intelligent well-behaved children, and obedient dogs.

But....you just don't understand...16gauge won't work. shocked

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...unless you pull the trigger! laugh

I've 2 stores that usually carry some.At twist your arm prices of course.
Posted By: deersmeller Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
If 16 gauge shells are both hard to find and expensive in your area, then why not reload?
pia

First you screw me out of that one, then JB has the nerve to bamboozle me out of the little Sauer 16/6,5X57R!

eek I'm Doomed...
luv2safari,
I know just what ya mean. My 16ga. Ideal grade LC Smith don't work no better than that one ya got there friend. A real pity too, as them shells is so expensive 'n hard ta find. Just kinda makes ya wonder if it's possible ta miss once in a while so ya have an excuse to do some more bird hunting again tomorrow instead of the honey do's that are wait'n fer ya back at tha ranch dag burn it! You'd think a fine bird gun like that would come with a selective fire "missed again" switch ta protect and extend your valuable peace 'n quiet in the field for tha next day, week, year depending on how many times ya needed ta miss ta stay out bird hunting and away from the missus honey do list.

Flower Child
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
If you think regular 16s are hard to find and expensive, try feeding an old short chamber one, like this 1896 vintage Greener. the internet is your friend.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: battue Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10

Call Fiocchi or B&P. They used to deliver to your home if ordered by the flat.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
Those of us hard core 16 gauge addicts have been hoarding hulls and wads for decades, slink the streets on moonless nights, delight in our quiet community of the underdog gauge.

A box costs me something less than three bucks, and I get one with 25 pulls of the handle. Too easy to order a flat; you're not addicted until you're rummaging trash cans.

Kill the 16 gauge, don't go there, or you'll be like the rest of us in the 16 gauge underworld. There's no going back!
Posted By: battue Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
Much like the .338Fed rants. If they don't make them you can load your own. I think it is Ballistic Products that has all the component parts any could ask for.
Posted By: DocFoster Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10
I bought a bunch of hulls and a Mec Size Master. Remington SP16 wads are available online.
Doc
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/06/10

Spolar will even make you one of their Gold Reloading Machines for 16 gauge.

One finished round every 3� seconds.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
If you think regular 16s are hard to find and expensive, try feeding an old short chamber one, like this 1896 vintage Greener. the internet is your friend.

[Linked Image]

DOUBLE cool !!
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/07/10
Great thread, luv2safari those are great looking setters,are they Rhyman -Hemlock genetics?.
16's are not for ordinary wingshooters anymore ,that is why the ammo is not as easily found. 16's are for the discriminating shooter. Who, doesn't wait until the day before the opener to procure his ammo supply.Gun shows over the last 25 years created my inventory of 16's from slugs to 9's, light loads to 2 3/4" mags. Got them all, you just have to program your mind to look at every box . Love those 60's vintage WW Mk 5"s , RP Power Piston Express loads and the first years of Federal High Powers in plastic cases with NO shot cups It takes more than a few shows but you can do it as easy as I did, they are still out there.Yeah some are almost collector grade, don't care I bought them to use,got about 7 cases now and they will last me till I don't need any shells for anything.
Ballistic Products can get you any 16's you want. Friend of mine ordered a flat of Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz loads in 5's for his mod. choked Belgian Sweet 16 and they work well on the roosters. Of course you can also get the new Federal hammer loads in 4,5,6's and Fiocchi's Golden Pheasant loads with nickel plated shot. Mec 600 JR takes care of all my 1 oz target loads. If I need to I have about 500 old 16ga 2 9/16 Fed papers that roll crimp for the old 2 9/16" chambered guns. The old nitro cards and fiber wads are still avalible also. Magnum_Man
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/07/10
Have seen rooster pheasants fall from the sky even before the 16 gauge shooter has fired.

The mere presence of a 16 gauge has an impact.

If the roosters are falling from the sky before the 16-gauge shooter has fired, it may be because a shooting partner with a more nimble non-16-gauge has fired first.

google found that "impact" is the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber-Terrorism. I'd guess that a 16-gauge is pretty useful in destroying rogue computers.

--Bob
Posted By: battue Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/07/10
A great handling 16 is the shotgun equivalent of the 7x57.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/07/10
My 16 gauge L.C.Smith will be the last one to go if I had to get rid of all my shotguns. Some sort of 16 gauge in my battery has been the one constant in my lifetime of shotgun lunacy.

Simple laws of supply and demand determine the prices of 16 gauge ammo. That's why God gave us MEC.

Guess that is OK.

If I could convince remfedster to supply some decent duck loads for my 16's, I'd probably retire my 12's. Best nontoxic loads I've found yet are the very expensive and hard to find Kent #5s. I have 7 left. If someone would load their "premium" shot into a 16 ga hull, I'd buy. Something like hevishot in #3's.

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: bangeye Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/07/10
Usually I just order my 16ga shells form cabelas or bass pro. Find a place that bases frt on the item costs and it usually isn't too bad. Or find a cabelas free frt on orders over $100 deal and buy a couple of flats. I usually don't have too much trouble finding shells but you can't just go in the local feed store and find a couple of boxes at the last second and don't go to the dove field and hope someone will loan you some.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
Must be a regional thing. Wal-mart, Meijer, Dicks, Sw all have shells in stock around here. Know a shop near my folks house that has probably 20 flats of vintage ammo. I still have a ton of ammo in the basement so rarely buy unless it's cheap.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
Originally Posted by battue
A great handling 16 is the shotgun equivalent of the 7x57.

Now, that is a classic!

I have three 16s, two Stevens SXS and a Remington 870. We took one of the SXS on our hunt with Supercub this fall.

Got the Stevens after I foolishly sold a pre-war Sauer and Sohnn to an RCMP member up here. It fit so well, and performed so well on ptarmigan and grouse, I got another one and the Remington on the same deal.

Still haven't even fired the Remington! laugh

Ammo is expensive, buy it whenever it is on for a really good price. Have about a third of a case left. Looking for more.

Ted
Posted By: 257wby Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
Cabela's sells the 2 9/16" shells in 6 and 7.5 shot for around $14 a box here in Mpls. They work great in my old A-5 and the 6's do a nice job on pheasants, too.
Posted By: gmoats Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
...Notice that 16 gauge shooters all have beautiful wives, intelligent well-behaved children, and obedient dogs.

...of course 12 gauge shooters have obedient wives, beautiful children and intelligent, well-behaved dogs, which is why it's more popular than the 16 ga!! :-)

Actually I did pick up a wonderful Model 12 16 gauge, solid rib, skeet gun last year--unfortunately some idiot put a polychoke it--I'd like to go back in time and slap him around some!
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
I have some Peter's 16 gauge shells for sale if anyone is interested.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
Inherited my Dad's Auto-5 with 2 9/16 chamber and several hundred roll-crimped paperhull rounds in various shot sizes.

Nothing BUT class. That's why there's a premium.

Ed
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
Originally Posted by crowrifle
I have some Peter's 16 gauge shells for sale if anyone is interested.

What and how much...??????
PM me, please. wink
Contact Gable's Sporting Goods in Newnan Georgia. They had a butt ton of 16 GA heavy loads (250 rd flats) from Estate Cartridge.

Mike
Posted By: Hubert Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/08/10
RST shotshells have them and sell by the flat. they specialize in low pressure and 2 1/2 inch for the older shotguns. I use them in my demascus barrel guns with no problems.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/09/10
Hubert,

Do you think the 2 1/2" rounds would cycle an Auto 5 with a 2 9/16" chamber" or are they too low pressure?

Thanks,

Ed
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that shotgun!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/09/10
Steve, How do those phalaropes taste?

laugh
\Reminds me , when I was a yute in Texas, I once reported bagging a woodcock; USFWS must have sent me annual wing-envelopes for a dozen years afterwards but I never killed another.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/09/10
It will operate the browning 16 ga using the 2 1/2" 1 ounce load.
Posted By: Kotzy Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/09/10
Was visiting my son in Richmond Hill Ga and found 16 ga Remmington Game load( 2-3/4 1 0z #6) at Bass Pro outside of Savannah. I have a model 12 which won't eject Winchester the Rem and Feds work fine. The side by's I have don't have that problem. Cabelas here never seems to have 16 ga shells.
Posted By: battue Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/10/10
For you 16ga loonies, both are 16ga. The one on the left 2 3/4, while the right is an old 3in Peters paper. Have the Parker they were originally used in and factory records said it was originally 3in. Used that same gun, although with 2 3/4 to take two of the Grouse a bud and I took out of the big woods yesterday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/12/10
Please stop posting pictures of pretty old 16 gauge shotguns. You're guys are gonna force me to do something stupid (again).
Posted By: battue Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/12/10
This one is not pretty, but it is old. Has had some changes along the way. Run of the mill stock-the original which I still have had too much drop-and a Miller trigger which is better than most rifles. First owned by a Mr. Bardwell, then my Father and now me.

From the old-time heyday of Dakota Pheasants, to the Grouse woods of today it has BTDT in spades. Took two of the Birds in the above pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ploughman Re: Premium for 16 gauge ? - 11/16/10
I haven't found 16 ga. shells to command all that much of a premium at retail, at least here in western Illinois. Sixteens are generally available anywhere that stocks any amount of ammo (except Wally world), but aren't available in the same variety of loads as 12's or 20's.

Generally I've found sixteens to be priced about the same as equivalent loads in other bore sizes, or maybe 25-50 cents a box more. That's comparing 12 ga. game loads to 16 ga. game loads, or high brass 16's to high brass 20's.

That said, there are retailers who only stock high brass 16's, and yeah, they're about twice the price of the 12 ga. promotional loads in the same store.
My maternal grandfather bought me a A-5 Belgian Sweet Sixteen on the day of my birth in 1954. My paternal grand father bought me a Ruger Standard (pre-MK I) with a 5 1/2" tapered barrel on the same day. They both still work fine, though I did have to replace the firing pin on the A-5 a few years ago. I have used the old A-5 for everything from bear, deer, dove, grouse, squirrel, to clays. The little Ruger Standard was the first gun that I ever shot, and it has been shot a lot. It still shots great. Is it me, or does the 16 reach a little farther than the 12 and 20 does?
© 24hourcampfire