Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great thread, luv2safari those are great looking setters,are they Rhyman -Hemlock genetics?.
16's are not for ordinary wingshooters anymore ,that is why the ammo is not as easily found. 16's are for the discriminating shooter. Who, doesn't wait until the day before the opener to procure his ammo supply.Gun shows over the last 25 years created my inventory of 16's from slugs to 9's, light loads to 2 3/4" mags. Got them all, you just have to program your mind to look at every box . Love those 60's vintage WW Mk 5"s , RP Power Piston Express loads and the first years of Federal High Powers in plastic cases with NO shot cups It takes more than a few shows but you can do it as easy as I did, they are still out there.Yeah some are almost collector grade, don't care I bought them to use,got about 7 cases now and they will last me till I don't need any shells for anything.
Ballistic Products can get you any 16's you want. Friend of mine ordered a flat of Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz loads in 5's for his mod. choked Belgian Sweet 16 and they work well on the roosters. Of course you can also get the new Federal hammer loads in 4,5,6's and Fiocchi's Golden Pheasant loads with nickel plated shot. Mec 600 JR takes care of all my 1 oz target loads. If I need to I have about 500 old 16ga 2 9/16 Fed papers that roll crimp for the old 2 9/16" chambered guns. The old nitro cards and fiber wads are still avalible also. Magnum_Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 11/06/10.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammer1
Have seen rooster pheasants fall from the sky even before the 16 gauge shooter has fired.

The mere presence of a 16 gauge has an impact.

If the roosters are falling from the sky before the 16-gauge shooter has fired, it may be because a shooting partner with a more nimble non-16-gauge has fired first.

google found that "impact" is the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber-Terrorism. I'd guess that a 16-gauge is pretty useful in destroying rogue computers.

--Bob

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A great handling 16 is the shotgun equivalent of the 7x57.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My 16 gauge L.C.Smith will be the last one to go if I had to get rid of all my shotguns. Some sort of 16 gauge in my battery has been the one constant in my lifetime of shotgun lunacy.

Simple laws of supply and demand determine the prices of 16 gauge ammo. That's why God gave us MEC.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Sixteen gauge shooters are used to paying double or triple for shotshells what 12 gauge shooters pay.

We accept it as part of the premium for shooting a superior gun.

How much more should we have to pay for the original gun ?

Have seen some vintage shotguns where the 16 gauge, when it can be found, is double or more what the same gun in 12 gauge would cost.

Guess that is OK.

When it gets to be triple or four times more for the 16 gauge gun, should we yell foul ?

Notice that 16 gauge shooters all have beautiful wives, intelligent well-behaved children, and obedient dogs.

If I could convince remfedster to supply some decent duck loads for my 16's, I'd probably retire my 12's. Best nontoxic loads I've found yet are the very expensive and hard to find Kent #5s. I have 7 left. If someone would load their "premium" shot into a 16 ga hull, I'd buy. Something like hevishot in #3's.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Usually I just order my 16ga shells form cabelas or bass pro. Find a place that bases frt on the item costs and it usually isn't too bad. Or find a cabelas free frt on orders over $100 deal and buy a couple of flats. I usually don't have too much trouble finding shells but you can't just go in the local feed store and find a couple of boxes at the last second and don't go to the dove field and hope someone will loan you some.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must be a regional thing. Wal-mart, Meijer, Dicks, Sw all have shells in stock around here. Know a shop near my folks house that has probably 20 flats of vintage ammo. I still have a ton of ammo in the basement so rarely buy unless it's cheap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
A great handling 16 is the shotgun equivalent of the 7x57.

Now, that is a classic!

I have three 16s, two Stevens SXS and a Remington 870. We took one of the SXS on our hunt with Supercub this fall.

Got the Stevens after I foolishly sold a pre-war Sauer and Sohnn to an RCMP member up here. It fit so well, and performed so well on ptarmigan and grouse, I got another one and the Remington on the same deal.

Still haven't even fired the Remington! laugh

Ammo is expensive, buy it whenever it is on for a really good price. Have about a third of a case left. Looking for more.

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabela's sells the 2 9/16" shells in 6 and 7.5 shot for around $14 a box here in Mpls. They work great in my old A-5 and the 6's do a nice job on pheasants, too.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...Notice that 16 gauge shooters all have beautiful wives, intelligent well-behaved children, and obedient dogs.

...of course 12 gauge shooters have obedient wives, beautiful children and intelligent, well-behaved dogs, which is why it's more popular than the 16 ga!! :-)

Actually I did pick up a wonderful Model 12 16 gauge, solid rib, skeet gun last year--unfortunately some idiot put a polychoke it--I'd like to go back in time and slap him around some!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have some Peter's 16 gauge shells for sale if anyone is interested.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Inherited my Dad's Auto-5 with 2 9/16 chamber and several hundred roll-crimped paperhull rounds in various shot sizes.

Nothing BUT class. That's why there's a premium.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crowrifle
I have some Peter's 16 gauge shells for sale if anyone is interested.

What and how much...??????
PM me, please. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Contact Gable's Sporting Goods in Newnan Georgia. They had a butt ton of 16 GA heavy loads (250 rd flats) from Estate Cartridge.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
RST shotshells have them and sell by the flat. they specialize in low pressure and 2 1/2 inch for the older shotguns. I use them in my demascus barrel guns with no problems.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hubert,

Do you think the 2 1/2" rounds would cycle an Auto 5 with a 2 9/16" chamber" or are they too low pressure?

Thanks,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
If you think regular 16s are hard to find and expensive, try feeding an old short chamber one, like this 1896 vintage Greener. the internet is your friend.

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that shotgun!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, How do those phalaropes taste?

laugh
\Reminds me , when I was a yute in Texas, I once reported bagging a woodcock; USFWS must have sent me annual wing-envelopes for a dozen years afterwards but I never killed another.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It will operate the browning 16 ga using the 2 1/2" 1 ounce load.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Was visiting my son in Richmond Hill Ga and found 16 ga Remmington Game load( 2-3/4 1 0z #6) at Bass Pro outside of Savannah. I have a model 12 which won't eject Winchester the Rem and Feds work fine. The side by's I have don't have that problem. Cabelas here never seems to have 16 ga shells.

Last edited by Kotzy; 11/09/10.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, Anaconda, 12 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,104
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.