Home
In the past year or so I see more and more people substituting the verb "running" in place of using as in "I'm running a 3-9x40 scope on my 270 "or "I'm running a 308 lever action on my deer hunt this year instead of a bolt action". No offense and maybe I'm just square and don't have the latest cool lingo but it sounds sort of trendy and juvenile to me. Where did this come from?
With any luck, Dr. Howell will be along shortly grin
Originally Posted by bangeye
Where did this come from?

I suppose they got tired of saying, "That's how I roll."
At the end of the day I believe that's the bottom line.
It's only one of many informal changes to the language. Not all are positive ones. It was someone's novel way of writing "I'm using a 3x9 scope".

Glassing the field.
Topped with a Leupold.
Stuffing cartridges.

K? grin
Yep, works for me.

I think it is a progressive devolution of the english language. May have its origins at an earlier time when people began ending sentences with prepositions...

[Linked Image]

grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
May have its origins at an earlier time when people began ending sentences with prepositions...

Stupidest thing I ever heard of.

I think it is a progressive devolution of the english language. May have its origins at an earlier time when people began ending sentences with prepositions...

[Linked Image]
Still laffin gotta like that posted picture looks like you stole it off an old Miller Highlife commercial .

"I am running a 3x9 this year" maybe its a Shepard or one with a super reticle or incorporated lazer or only works with a hand held computer(horus)?well maybe you just can't look thru it line up the crosshairs and plug 'em. It has to be "operated" sic run to work right? Who knows these days, Turret twisting and all. Magnum Man

grin
Originally Posted by RWE

Stupidest thing I ever heard of.

Properly put, it should have been " Stupidest thing I ever heard of, azzhole..."

grin

I gotta go..I'm running two RCBS presses on the reloading bench ( Its the way I roll...) and I dont know where my bullets are at.

laugh
I guess Talley "fasteners" would send em over the edge.
Tally makes a good scope mounting "system".....

I'm running a couple sets of them this year.... grin
In the past year or so I see more and more people substituting the verb "running" in place of using as in "I'm running a 3-9x40 scope on my 270 "or "I'm running a 308 lever action on my deer hunt this year instead of a bolt action". No offense and maybe I'm just square and don't have the latest cool lingo but it sounds sort of trendy and juvenile to me. Where did this come from?

It's a gay thing

Mike
If it was a gay thing, Tom264 would have chimed in by now,thats the way he rolls.... grin
Well, now that this thread is completely derailed, some man verse.

Lady Lythely

Step softly now and loft the mop
To knock the tassled tumblys off
Or rub upon the ruffled rim
And flick the fluff all off again

Dust the rust encrusted bust
Her shape shows off her means
And proves the age old adage
The end justifies the jeans
I'll bet that flip up scope covers snap you too...
Speaking of verbage, When did spaghetti became pasta?
And when did varmint lose it's "n"....

Most folks post it as "varmit"...

And for that matter most folks post lose as "loose"....
kinda like wearing a cap with the brim flat and sidewise. Makes me wants slap the piss out of those dumbass MF.
Originally Posted by ldholton
kinda like wearing a cap with the brim flat and sidewise. Makes me wants slap the piss out of those dumbass MF.

laugh laugh

You be running FUBU, yo? Aye't.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Speaking of verbage, When did spaghetti became pasta?

That one's easy. Its so restaurants eateries purveyors of fine dining can charge higher prices.
Originally Posted by sandcritter

????
What day was this? I must have been sleeping or something.

One day it was spaghetti, the next day you had to call it Pasta.
If it is inexpensive call it spaghetti. If it is expensive call it pasta. Really quite simple.
I attributed it to 'stick and his fan club.
Just chill and think out of the box. This is the new sustainable green language.
How about prolly?

I think of a toddler who can't quite manage all those syllables in probably. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
How about prolly?

I think of a toddler who can't quite manage all those syllables in probably. grin

Some dullts � Gret van Sust, f' zample � can't handle more than two sibbles.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
What day was this? I must have been sleeping or something.

One day it was spaghetti, the next day you had to call it Pasta.

Obviously you aint Eye-talion, spaghetti is a type of PASTA there are hundreds of different PASTA"S, spaghettti is my favorite thats what i usually run when im eating PASTA, ya know what im sayin........

Their pants are usually worn around their thighs as well.
There's always the moronic-sounding "boolits".
How about my new rifle is saddled with a loopie. eek
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Their pants are usually worn around their thighs as well.

That's cause they gangstas and they have 10 clips in their pockets and that pull them pants down big time.

Is your "rig" your rifle, your truck or both?

Or is is something you have on your boat?
Truck...aka "outfit" in MT. & WY.
"Outfit" aka being dressed up in style here in the "Burg".
No way are you gonna get me to post pics of getting dressed up here..... grin
If this is the case... abuse of the word "running" has been going on way before I was born in West VA....

hell, my grandmother used the word to describe her dating my granddad before they got married...

"me and your granddaddy were running together fer two years before'n we got hitched...and yer momma was the reason we done did that..."

Unfortunately the friends you "run" with don't have the same reservations.... grin
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I attributed it to 'stick and his fan club.

x2

Where is the Jive Translator?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I suppose they got tired of saying, "That's how I roll."

I think the phrase is properly spelled "Dats how I roll". For example: "I was gonna go to 'da range and dial in my my new custom rig. Its a factory R700 action punched out to 7mm Redundant Mag in a purple McSwirly topped with a Loopie Rifleman in Talley lights. But instead, I went out and ripped some lips with the grandkids, 'cuz dats how I roll". grin

Chet

My advice is to just punch it AI, bob the tube, go forth and kill schitt.
You guys are really hep cats!
Originally Posted by smokepole

Xactly. I forgot about goin forth an killin schitt.

Chet
Originally Posted by smokepole

First u need a sucks action, packnor tube ina mcswerly runnin loupie in LWTs.
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

First u need a sucks action, packnor tube ina mcswerly topped with loupie in LW tallies.

That would be LWTs....
Originally Posted by BarryC
Where is the Jive Translator?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

It lost its "n" during the long and troublesome "stock" that was needed to get close enough... wink

It lost its "n" during the long and troublesome "stock" that was needed to get close enough... wink
Run is a very abused word. You can run a bath, run a program,run a mile, run for election, and run machinery.
It sounds good....
Since this is the "Gunwriters" forum, allow me to say that there is a very wide body of water between how a professional writer goes about describing things and the way the average internet posters "writes" - and I use the term very generously. Many posters seem semi-literate at best; their efforts to converse in English are pitiable.

This deplorable state isn't always due to stupidity, but simple ignorance. Schools simply don't teach English any more, and students therefore don't learn it. Most people could learn to write well if they had a chance to.

On the other hand, the surest way to get yelled at on the web is to try to correct somebody's spelling, grammar, or word choice. So maybe some people actually prefer to appear linguistically crippled. I don't know.

On the other hand, the surest way to get yelled at on the web is to try to correct somebody's spelling, grammar, or word choice.

Someone's self esteem may get damaged. crazy
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
How about prolly?

Some dullts � Gret van Sust, f' zample � can't handle more than two sibbles.

Yeah dat.
We must not forget about drinking the xxx cool-aid.

Are you really that consumed/concerned with how others choose to word their posts?
Fancy that while calling out things as being juvenile.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll bet that flip up scope covers snap you too...

I use flip off scope covers myself.
I'm just square and don't have the latest cool lingo

Prolly right about dat.

Now if I could just figure out what a "bangeye" is.... grin
Isn't it obvious? Bangeye is Chinese for "cheap piece of crap rifle scope."

As in, "I'm running a 3x9 Bangeye on my Remmy 777."
On the other hand, the surest way to get yelled at on the web is to try to correct somebody's spelling, grammar, or word choice.

Someone's self esteem may get damaged. crazy

Thar ain't any one around hear got no self esteem.
I well remember folks using the term 'running', back when I was a lad, in reference to our hot cars.
"I'm running tri power on 390 CID Block, with ported heads". That sort of thing was very common.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Prolly forgot the Tupperware mcswirley
"Running Bear loved Little White Dove...."
In the past year or so I see more and more people substituting the verb "running" in place of using as in "I'm running a 3-9x40 scope on my 270...

Nowadays I be rockin' a lupy.

I first heard that kind of use of the word "running" around race cars and racers maybe 30 years ago...maybe that is where it came from???
Originally Posted by 5sdad
"Running Bear loved Little White Dove...."

"with a love that would never die...."
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

Prolly forgot the Tupperware mcswirley

Don't forget the flip flop pad for the tupperware.
I think it is a progressive devolution of the english language. May have its origins at an earlier time when people began ending sentences with prepositions...grin

As Winston Churchhill was reprimanded by his secretary never to end his sentence in a preposition, he replied, "Very well madam, this is behavior up with which I do not intend to put."
The alleged record ... a sentence ended with five prepositions, all completely legitimate, grammatically and linguistically ... belongs to a preschool boy whose father brought the wrong book up to his bedroom ...

"What did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to out of up for?"

Uuuummm, ahem, uhhh
[Linked Image] shocked
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
...I first heard that kind of use of the word "running" around race cars and racers maybe 30 years ago...maybe that is where it came from???

Around hot rods and at the drag strip in the early 60's it was always referred to as what you're "running", as in engine, trans, fuel, etc.
I know, I'll go ahead and get the matches now....
Need to buy me an old school Mauser rifle when I get the money.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Uuuummm, ahem, uhhh
[Linked Image] shocked

You guyz are ruthless.....
Been looking for the BC of the pills some are shooting in their rifles.....
Any of you had to trip a rifle or scope lately?
Since this is the "Gunwriters" forum, allow me to say that there is a very wide body of water between how a professional writer goes about describing things and the way the average internet posters "writes" - and I use the term very generously. Many posters seem semi-literate at best; their efforts to converse in English are pitiable.

This deplorable state isn't always due to stupidity, but simple ignorance. Schools simply don't teach English any more, and students therefore don't learn it. Most people could learn to write well if they had a chance to.

On the other hand, the surest way to get yelled at on the web is to try to correct somebody's spelling, grammar, or word choice. So maybe some people actually prefer to appear linguistically crippled. I don't know.

True Dat!!!
As to the question "What's a Bangeye" ? I use to know a fellow years back that was was one of those guys that always had a little cloud hanging over his head and one day he was shooting a 338 Magnum off the bench and crept up the stock a bit too far. He jumped up yelling that da-n rifle banged me in the eye and earned himself the nickname Bangeye. So when I needed a handle when registering for the forum I thought of him and resurrected the nick name as it sort of always cracked me up.
Thing's I learnt here on the Fire (yes, I learnt to put an apostrophe in plurals):

Remmy is Remington (the best in the WORLD)

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

Loopy or Luepie is Leupold (which may or may not be garbage)

7x57 may be "skookum"...or an indicator of one "catching the Gay"

Boolits are pills

Kimbers are junk...or maybe not

.270 is a sign you've "caught the gay"...or it's "skookum"

All the cool kids are running McSwirlys that look like bowling balls, Talley LWs and fluted bolt handles

post count equates to practical experience, rather than just indicating one spends too much time posting useless drivel

And I think...being akin to a turd is considered a positive atribute...?

Originally Posted by ShootDogs

All the cool kids are running McSwirlys that look like bowling balls, Talley LWs and fluted bolt handles

I run Sillywets on my loopy.

BMT
First time I ever heard anyone talk about "running" related to guns was when a buddy who has a few machine guns told me he cleaned them all up and "got 'em runnin' good" one weekend.

Made sense to me. When a car runs, its a continuous process that goes on until you or lack of fuel stop it. Seemed like a machine gun could be talked about the same way.

Of course its use referring to stationry objects is "a whole nuther thing." I think it just sounds more cool than saying that your rifle has a scope on it. "Running" sounds so cool its almost "Tacticool" all by itself.

Wouldn't be my choice of word but if it helps some shooters like their rifles and enjoy the shooting sports better, I can get used to it.
Originally Posted by Jericho
Need to buy me an old school Mauser rifle when I get the money.

That would be a Mouser....
jus' sayin...

George
What about "turrents"

laffin

George
Turrents is what adjusts recticles....
Thing's I learnt here on the Fire (yes, I learnt to put an apostrophe in plurals):

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

Loopy or Luepie is Leupold (which may or may not be garbage)

7x57 may be "skookum"...or an indicator of one "catching the Gay"

Boolits are pills

Kimbers are junk...or maybe not

.270 is a sign you've "caught the gay"...or it's "skookum"

post count equates to practical experience, rather than just indicating one spends too much time posting useless drivel

And I think...being akin to a turd is considered a positive atribute...?

So true! I have always been a little leery of the advice given by guys that get something like 20,000 posts in a few years. When could they possibly have time to hunt? I am afraid a lot of them are sitting around in front of their computers half the day with potato chip crumbs cascading down the front of their shirts. grin

Another interesting internet phenomenon is the "boolit that pencils through". Would a wooden or plastic pencil actually pass (without expanding) through an elk when fired at 3000fps? Who is actually out there reloading pencils in their rifles? If you have resorted to loading pencils, send me a PM and I will send you some old TSX's I have in the reloading bench.

Chet
And when did the word "definite" get its "A"......?

As in Definate????

If I see that one more time I'll be breaking out the frozen OJ and shaving my junk...
DefinAte!!!!!!

I definately think you are too chicken to shave your junk!!!! laugh laugh

PS- Definately be careful with the electric clippers in getting started...
And when did the word "definite" get its "A"......?

As in Definate????

If I see that one more time I'll be breaking out the frozen OJ and shaving my junk...

There are people that would pay good money to watch...
Originally Posted by Hubert
How about my new rifle is saddled with a loopie. eek

Mine ain't saddled with one but it WEARS one.
Don't you mean hampered ?
As in Defeincate????

Fixed...;O)
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Don't you mean hampered ?

Or maybe even PAMPERED. smile

The "n" was needed elsewhere.

Runnig a varmit rig requires turrents.

About thirty five years ago I knew a guy who was "running" redbone hounds along with a black and tan for hunting of bear.

My uncle's family has been "running" Hereford cattle on the forests of Gem County, Idaho for nearly a hundred years.

Kids in Idaho high schools in the early seventies were "running" Good Year tires on their hot rods.

The transition of the verb to shooting related items seems a natural form of evolution.
I thought it was because a lot of folks see a parallel between choosing after market parts for their cars when we were younger, and after market parts for our rifles when we are mature.

In the 1960's the loser from a street drag race when stopped at the next traffic light would ask the winner "what are you running"?
Mayhap folks just like to talk that way.

'Bout outta something to talk about on here.

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

whatever gets you runnin', but...

as i recall remmy was the french exchange student that the girls got so stupid over...

winchester has offered many things to the shooting world... since the 60s, only one has commonly been called "the winnie"... that being the .300 winchester...
i have owned and shot winchesters in .308, .243, 30-06, 25-06, .300 h&h, and probably a few others, including shotguns...
most of my experience with "the winnie" has come from time spent with my Remington 700 so chambered...

I was corrected last week for posting a sentence that used the term "dampen a vibration" the english nazi said to say it correctly it would be "damp a vibration." Someone posted behind me and said we couldn't discuss harmonic balancers then. laugh

The english language changes.

Terry
All of this banter has made me so ill, I turrently need to go and varmit!
Mark
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire