Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
As to the question "What's a Bangeye" ? I use to know a fellow years back that was was one of those guys that always had a little cloud hanging over his head and one day he was shooting a 338 Magnum off the bench and crept up the stock a bit too far. He jumped up yelling that da-n rifle banged me in the eye and earned himself the nickname Bangeye. So when I needed a handle when registering for the forum I thought of him and resurrected the nick name as it sort of always cracked me up.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thing's I learnt here on the Fire (yes, I learnt to put an apostrophe in plurals):

Remmy is Remington (the best in the WORLD)

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

Loopy or Luepie is Leupold (which may or may not be garbage)

7x57 may be "skookum"...or an indicator of one "catching the Gay"

Boolits are pills

Kimbers are junk...or maybe not

.270 is a sign you've "caught the gay"...or it's "skookum"

All the cool kids are running McSwirlys that look like bowling balls, Talley LWs and fluted bolt handles

post count equates to practical experience, rather than just indicating one spends too much time posting useless drivel

And I think...being akin to a turd is considered a positive atribute...?

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ShootDogs

All the cool kids are running McSwirlys that look like bowling balls, Talley LWs and fluted bolt handles

I run Sillywets on my loopy.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First time I ever heard anyone talk about "running" related to guns was when a buddy who has a few machine guns told me he cleaned them all up and "got 'em runnin' good" one weekend.

Made sense to me. When a car runs, its a continuous process that goes on until you or lack of fuel stop it. Seemed like a machine gun could be talked about the same way.

Of course its use referring to stationry objects is "a whole nuther thing." I think it just sounds more cool than saying that your rifle has a scope on it. "Running" sounds so cool its almost "Tacticool" all by itself.

Wouldn't be my choice of word but if it helps some shooters like their rifles and enjoy the shooting sports better, I can get used to it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jericho
Need to buy me an old school Mauser rifle when I get the money.

That would be a Mouser....
jus' sayin...

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What about "turrents"

laffin

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Turrents is what adjusts recticles....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thing's I learnt here on the Fire (yes, I learnt to put an apostrophe in plurals):

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

Loopy or Luepie is Leupold (which may or may not be garbage)

7x57 may be "skookum"...or an indicator of one "catching the Gay"

Boolits are pills

Kimbers are junk...or maybe not

.270 is a sign you've "caught the gay"...or it's "skookum"

post count equates to practical experience, rather than just indicating one spends too much time posting useless drivel

And I think...being akin to a turd is considered a positive atribute...?

So true! I have always been a little leery of the advice given by guys that get something like 20,000 posts in a few years. When could they possibly have time to hunt? I am afraid a lot of them are sitting around in front of their computers half the day with potato chip crumbs cascading down the front of their shirts. grin

Another interesting internet phenomenon is the "boolit that pencils through". Would a wooden or plastic pencil actually pass (without expanding) through an elk when fired at 3000fps? Who is actually out there reloading pencils in their rifles? If you have resorted to loading pencils, send me a PM and I will send you some old TSX's I have in the reloading bench.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 09/29/11.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And when did the word "definite" get its "A"......?

As in Definate????

If I see that one more time I'll be breaking out the frozen OJ and shaving my junk...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DefinAte!!!!!!

I definately think you are too chicken to shave your junk!!!! laugh laugh

PS- Definately be careful with the electric clippers in getting started...

Last edited by pointer; 09/29/11.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
And when did the word "definite" get its "A"......?

As in Definate????

If I see that one more time I'll be breaking out the frozen OJ and shaving my junk...

There are people that would pay good money to watch...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
How about my new rifle is saddled with a loopie. eek

Mine ain't saddled with one but it WEARS one.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't you mean hampered ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As in Defeincate????

Fixed...;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Don't you mean hampered ?

Or maybe even PAMPERED. smile

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
And when did varmint lose it's "n"....

Most folks post it as "varmit"...

The "n" was needed elsewhere.

Runnig a varmit rig requires turrents.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bangeye
In the past year or so I see more and more people substituting the verb "running" in place of using as in "I'm running a 3-9x40 scope on my 270 "or "I'm running a 308 lever action on my deer hunt this year instead of a bolt action". No offense and maybe I'm just square and don't have the latest cool lingo but it sounds sort of trendy and juvenile to me. Where did this come from?

About thirty five years ago I knew a guy who was "running" redbone hounds along with a black and tan for hunting of bear.

My uncle's family has been "running" Hereford cattle on the forests of Gem County, Idaho for nearly a hundred years.

Kids in Idaho high schools in the early seventies were "running" Good Year tires on their hot rods.

The transition of the verb to shooting related items seems a natural form of evolution.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought it was because a lot of folks see a parallel between choosing after market parts for their cars when we were younger, and after market parts for our rifles when we are mature.

In the 1960's the loser from a street drag race when stopped at the next traffic light would ask the winner "what are you running"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mayhap folks just like to talk that way.

'Bout outta something to talk about on here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Winnie is Winchester

Roy or Bee is Weatherby

whatever gets you runnin', but...

as i recall remmy was the french exchange student that the girls got so stupid over...

winchester has offered many things to the shooting world... since the 60s, only one has commonly been called "the winnie"... that being the .300 winchester...
i have owned and shot winchesters in .308, .243, 30-06, 25-06, .300 h&h, and probably a few others, including shotguns...
most of my experience with "the winnie" has come from time spent with my Remington 700 so chambered...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,601
Posts18,532,546
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.