Home
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Tikkas - 03/31/12
I am considering a Tikka lite in .243. Good or bad idea?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
Bad.

Incoming!
Posted By: jimincolo Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I bought one in .308 a few years ago. I needed a lightweight reliable rifle to use for late season elk, which usually means snowshoes &/or skiis.

The gun is a little over 7 pounds, up & ready to go. It consistently puts 3 rounds touching in a target, with a group measurement of .5 or .6.

The downsides are minor to me. Extra clips are expensive, & you can't top load single cartridges.

The trigger is excellent, & the action is fast & smooth. I think you'll be quite happy if you buy one.
Jim
Posted By: DJTex Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
Good vs. Bad may depend on what bullets you want to run, and your likes/dislikes on rifles.

If you want to run heavy stuff, Tikka 1/10 twist may not stabilize them as well as something like Remington's 1/9.

Rifle will probably shoot lights out with bullets it will stabilize, and will have the usual list of Tikka pros and cons:

Good trigger, barrel, nice weight and balance, extremely accurate and non-finicky.

Plastic, poor recoil pad, not real pretty (and some find it ugly), plastic, one size fits all action, plastic, sometimes poor mag/throat geometry, plastic...grin.

I like Tikkas fine for what I use them for - they are amazingly non-finicky and accurate with almost anything you throw at them, and I like their weight and balance; however, I don't have one in 243 - opting instead for a 223 with the 1/8 twist.

They are easy on the pocket book stainless rifles that you don't have to monkey with or even load for to get a very accurate hunting rig with a great trigger and barrel.

Lots of subjective stuff, but twist on a 243 is an objective concern if you want to run the high BC heavy 243 bullets that are so fantastic for LR work.

DJ
Posted By: strut64 Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I own 2 Tikkas. Glad I bought them. A 223 lite - 1/8 twist. 30-06 hunter(walnut stock). Both are good shooters. the stock will transfer by the way since all actions are the same - long actions. There a couple minor issues but overall a great buy.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I have two T3's in the house, a 338 Federal and my LH son's in .270. Both are very accurate smooth bolt and great trigger. Don't know about the twist rate for .243, but for the price Tikka's are a great deal. Yes plastic, and a removeable mag. Never had any issues at all. Just about anything else in the Tikka's price range will be the same, but my not match a Tikka's accuracy out of the box.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I have two older Tikkas, and they both are shooters. My next purchase will probably be a T3 in 6.5x55. A lot of bad feedback by some guys about the "plastic" mags. My brother ran over one in way sub zero weather with his 4x4 plow truck, and it still functions flawlessly.

But the rifle, Ivan, and enjoy great out of the box accuracy.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I have a stainless steel T3 light in .243 that I love.

It weighs 7 lbs field ready and shoots like a heavy barrel target rifle.

Here is a 200 yard three shot target:

[Linked Image][/img]

70 grain Nosler BT with 45 grains of H4350 Federal 215 primer. 3212 fps velocity (rather mild load). Three Shots I measured at .780
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
To date, each and every one I've been around has shot balls out! Light rigs, cost effective, incredibly accurate. They'll get it done and then some.

Dober
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
If the recoil pad is an issue one can get an out of the box Limbsaver that fits perfect. Have one on the 338 Federal and it works very well. Two screws and it's done.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikkas - 03/31/12
I just bought a Stainless Laminate 270 a dealer near me had on the rack for almost 2 years. He finally closed it out. I am getting an aftermarket aluminum or steel bolt shroud and be good to go.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Hard to trump a long action 243. Giving it a 1-10" twist only sweetens the pot.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
how about a blue/plastic long action .223 with a 1-8" and short mag box? grin
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Yes indeed the Tikka is a one size fits all. Twist rate on a 243.. Might not be the best. One could get a 700 and spend twice what a Tikka costs and still have a rifle that is not as accurate right out of the box. LOL
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hard to trump a long action 243. Giving it a 1-10" twist only sweetens the pot.

With tongue firmly in cheek!!! laugh
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Yes indeed the Tikka is a one size fits all. Twist rate on a 243.. Might not be the best. One could get a 700 and spend twice what a Tikka costs and still have a rifle that is not as accurate right out of the box. LOL

Tikka's aren't that inexpensive anymore.

At $400 mine was way overpriced.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I've got a T3 lite 243 - she'll poke one hole on most days.

Do wish I had a 260 though.

Spot
Well that's the good thing about the US, many choices and one can get for the most part what one wants. From my experience the Tikka's have been great. Others might not agree. The one's I have and have seen work just fine. Like most anything prices are going up. Diesel is now $4.43 in my area.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
[Linked Image]
My wifes first rifle was a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 243, it is the only rifle that I have owned that will not shoot better than 2 MOA. It is a LA as well. Different stock, scopes free floating etc. Still shoots the same. Going to change the barrel and caliber. Never have seen a Tikka that did not make MOA out of the box with factory off the shelf ammo. Others may not think so. Ones I have personel experience with have.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I HATE MY TIKKA....SO MUCH I'LL SELL IT FOR $1500!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Too bad about that flier on the left.. wink
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Well, that ain't all bad. One nay and seven yays.

What has been your bad experience, Nsaqam? I was talking to our local dealer yesterday about Tikkas and I think he said Tikka guarantees an inch or less at 100 yards or they will fix it. Have you contacted them?

I wouldn't use one to kill moose with like Keith does as it would only be my windy day varmint rifle so would be shooting seventy grainers or lighter.

Looks like Hillbillybear's shoots quite well. Is it stock or have you had to tinker with it?

Ok, thanks, Ya'll.

Ivan
FWIW...I'm packing up mine in .223 tonight to take on Gopher Armageddon next week...

Tis a shooter for shure....
Originally Posted by kraky111
I HATE MY TIKKA....SO MUCH I'LL SELL IT FOR $1500!!

[Linked Image]

I sure wouldn't want one that wouldn't do better than that! smirk Don't sell it to a friend.

I think the yay, nay count went up since my last post.
Originally Posted by ingwe
FWIW...I'm packing up mine in .223 tonight to take on Gopher Armageddon next week...

Tis a shooter for shure....

Hey, have lots of fun!
Death in the Short Grass! laugh
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Tikka's aren't that inexpensive anymore.

At $400 mine was way overpriced.

Go ahead and tell us what is the problem. We won't tell. whistle
Nsaqam,
Sorry you got a bad one. I guess it happens to any rifle maker. I haven't heard of very many bad things with a Tikka or a Sako. Berretta is not a very good distributer however, just look at what is available to the rest of the world that we can not get.. Think that they are a pretty good bet for the money. A rifle that has a bad rep that can cost a bunch Kimber, love the looks and the specs, only so much free money, I'd bet on a Tikka or Sako first.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
My Tikka is the least finicky gun I have ever loaded for. My 6.5x55 shoots everything from 100gr to 156gr bullets less than MOA. About to spruce it up with a new stock. No complaints on the factory stock, but always nice to upgrade.

My Tikka came with a long throat, and has made me a believer that you do not need to be close to the lands to get a gun to shoot.

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I had a bunch too. Never had a bad one. Put the scope on, try a common handload and get the camera ready. Just a lot to like.
The hex head allen screws were too soft for the bases as I stripped a couple.
Still probably the best rifle for those who don't mind a few concessions.
Remember who makes them, they know what they are doing.
I've related my experiences with my LH T3 Lite in 270WSM before but here's my issues.
I didn't like the feel of the rifle. It felt toylike to me. The stock, the mag, the bolt throw (most folks love the slick bolt) but it didn't feel substantial to me.
The trigger was nice enough, no better than my Savage or my KS but plenty nice.
I absolutely despised the recoil luggette and felt it was destined to fail, I didn't like the dovetailed in bolt handle either, Mickey Mouse came to mind.
I hated the really high parts prices from Beretta too.
The recoil brick needed to be replaced with a Limbsaver adding $35=$40 to the cost.
When it came to shooting, the rifle never did better than 1" but with some loads, factory and handload it would do an inch pretty consistently. Most loads went 1.25" to 1.75" however.
The barrel was really really slow on my T3 and I had to stomp on the load to push 130's to just under 3300fps. Short case life of course followed. Most loads were no faster, and some slower, than the same bullet in my 270WCF 700 KS I owned at the same time. That KS was fast though and it pushed any number of 130's to 3240-3250fps with long case life.
I read an article by Ross Seyfried at the time I owned it and he also reported velocities from his 270WSM T3 lagged 100-200+fps behind two other brands of rifle chambered for the 270WSM he shot concurrently with the T3.

There was nothing I loved about the T3 and much I disliked.
Oh yes, I forgot about the butter soft factory ring screws but that was remedied by a trip to the hardware store and a very few bucks.
Perhaps the whole short fat thing is an issue. Never have seen the need or what short fat does that many other well established rounds do not do. If one wants an SA the Tikka is about the last on the list. Sorry that it did not work for you. The stock rings are not that good, and the set screws are weak. Have the stock setup on both mine and so far no issues. I did not really crank on them however.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
So Tikka uses one action size? I didnt know that.
Yes, unlike Sako, Tikka's are all 30-06 lenght or LA.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Im sure they will eventually start making different action
sizes.
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Great idea! I have a T3 Light Stainless in 338 Win Mag. It shoots less than MOA at all ranges out to 400 yards using Federal Premium 225 TSX. I put a Holland Quick Discharge brake on it. So I have a 7.5 lb 338WM that shoots lights out and kicks like a .308 Win. Not too excited about the stock, but I plan on getting a Bell and Carlson replacement for it. Toss the rings that come with it and get some Talley One Piece Base/Rings.
Sometimes a LA is not a bad idea for a 308 based catridge. Mine a 338 Federal has a short blocked mag and a shorter bolt stop. I changed it to the 30-06 bolt stop and use 30-06 mags. Now I can seat the bullet out further, not limited by mag lenght. Over 185g this makes differance. The 260 would another one that would benefit from a longer mag, unless all one wants to shoot is 140g or less.
Nsaqam, sorry about your bad experience. I can't remember owning a rifle of any kind that really had any serious problems unless a problem developed from me tinkering too much.

So you must have got rid of it with no regrets then. Too bad.
Posted By: byd Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Nsaqam I bet you read Chuck Hawks before you go to bed every night.
Posted By: Rog Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Buy one,you won't regret it..Sweet trigger right outa the box no honing just load it up and go.I went with Leupold bases and rings and put on a limbsaver pad,but lets face it any gun any of us buy we're gonna mess with,its kinda the nature of a rifle looney ain't it?
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12

That is a good idea in my opinion. I did the very same thing about two months ago. The three factory loads (Horn 95 SST SF, Win 95 BST, Rem 80 PSPCL) I've tried so far a sub-inch. The only thing I really wish were different is I wish it were twisted fast enough to handle 105 VLDs.

Expat
Originally Posted by byd
Nsaqam I bet you read Chuck Hawks before you go to bed every night.

Chuck Hawks is an idiot but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!
Nsaqam, sorry about your bad experience. I can't remember owning a rifle of any kind that really had any serious problems unless a problem developed from me tinkering too much.

So you must have got rid of it with no regrets then. Too bad.

Oh yes, that baby went down the road with no regrets! grin
Perhaps the whole short fat thing is an issue. Never have seen the need or what short fat does that many other well established rounds do not do. If one wants an SA the Tikka is about the last on the list. Sorry that it did not work for you. The stock rings are not that good, and the set screws are weak. Have the stock setup on both mine and so far no issues. I did not really crank on them however.

Hated the only other WSM I had too, the 7WSM.

Won't be buying another WSM in this lifetime.
Originally Posted by Rog
Buy one,you won't regret it..Sweet trigger right outa the box no honing just load it up and go.I went with Leupold bases and rings and put on a limbsaver pad,but lets face it any gun any of us buy we're gonna mess with,its kinda the nature of a rifle looney ain't it?

Yep. Kinda hard to just lettem alone regardless of how they shoot. Surely we can make em a little better. whistle
Posted By: byd Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
OH my bad, Chuck and you sound like brothers when it comes to rifle opinions.
Originally Posted by byd

No, Chuck is all idiot, I'm only half! grin
Originally Posted by byd

No, Chuck is all idiot, I'm only half! grin

And if you don't believe that, just axe Larry Root.
Never drank Chuck's kool-aid. Sometimes could agree most times wondering WTFO, not my experience. Then again I'm not trying to sell anything, just what has worked or me from my experience.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
To date, each and every one I've been around has shot balls out! Light rigs, cost effective, incredibly accurate. They'll get it done and then some.

Dober

I bought one in .308 a few years ago. I needed a lightweight reliable rifle to use for late season elk, which usually means snowshoes &/or skiis.

The gun is a little over 7 pounds, up & ready to go. It consistently puts 3 rounds touching in a target, with a group measurement of .5 or .6.

The downsides are minor to me. Extra clips are expensive, & you can't top load single cartridges.

The trigger is excellent, & the action is fast & smooth. I think you'll be quite happy if you buy one.
Jim

+1 to both sentiments

Just got one of the Superlites in .308--couldn't be happier for what I wanted. The stock looks and feels cheap but it is fairly stiff compared to, say, Rem's SPS or Hogue stuff.

Better trigger, smoother bolt, intergral bases and shoot awesome. Everything I wanted in my 'truck/beater' hunting rifle. 6 lbs 10 oz all up and throws the Hornady 165's well under an inch.

However, if I was buying a .243, I'd want to shoot the 105 Amax and would want a faster tube--YMMV. A beautiful, classic rifle they aren't. Excellent tools they are.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I have had 3 Tikka T3 Lites.Still have my 270 WSM.All are very accurate Rifles with zero problems.Would buy another if the caliber trips my trigger.
Originally Posted by Jericho
Im sure they will eventually start making different action
sizes.

They used to make 2 action sizes,but to economize went to one.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I have a T3 Super Light in .30-06. 1:11 barrel, shoots 220 grain bullets into 7/8" groups at 100 yards with a load that was developed for a different rifle. Pretty it ain't, but it works well enough for what it's for. Looking forward to tailoring a 200 gr. NP for it.

It would be a better rifle if the plastic bolt shroud was aluminum, you could top load it, and the mag release functioned better in freezing rain.
Posted By: 338Federal Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
BigBuck, Get the Tikka and enjoy some trouble free shooting. Rings work fine.
Recoil pad too hard? WaaWaa! Really? On a 243? Or any other skinny caliber for that matter. Remember when men used to actually shoot guns with steel butts?
Let us know WHAT it shoots---we all know HOW it'll shoot.
Originally Posted by 338Federal
BigBuck, Get the Tikka and enjoy some trouble free shooting. Rings work fine.
Recoil pad too hard? WaaWaa! Really? On a 243? Or any other skinny caliber for that matter. Remember when men used to actually shoot guns with steel butts?
Let us know WHAT it shoots---we all know HOW it'll shoot.

Deal...

Yeah, recoil pads are mostly there to keep the stock from splitting when you set em down.

Don't really need one on a .243, I think.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I'm a big Tikka fan.

Tikka #1 - stainless Lite in 300 WSM. Shot cheap Federal softpoints (blue box) sub-MOA out to 300 yards (never tried longer distances with this ammo). Shot Remington Premium ammo sub-MOA out to 400 yards. Boringly accurate with factory ammo (I didn't reload then).

Tikka #2 - blued Lite in 300 Win Mag. Absolute tackdriver with 200gr Accubonds. Load used Retumbo and was slow. Have since moved on to Ramshot Magnum. It was under 1" at 100 yards with Core-Lokts, but I never tried any other factory ammo with this rifle.

Tikka #3 - stainless fluted Super Light in 300 Win Mag - shoots 5/8" at 100 yards with 200gr Accubond and 81.5gr Magnum. Dead nuts on out to 400 yards.

Tikka #4 - blued Varmint in .223 - only shot one factory load in it just to collect the brass. Used 55gr Rem UMC. 5/8" at 100 yards with ease. Probably even better with a more stable rest (my folding table was sinking in the mud!).

I don't hate Remchesters, Salvages, Witherbees, Bugers, etc. but none that I have tried shoot as well or easily as a Tikka! laugh In my limited experience, you can grab a Tikka and factory ammo and fully expect it to shoot under 1" at 100 yards. Others seem to have the same experience/opinion. Not so with any of the others, plus they all weigh quite a bit more which I do not care for. I've spent time behind 77, 700, etc rifles that seemed like I was wasting my life trying to get a decent group. One ammo brand after another trying to make those rifles happy. The Tikka just seems to produce with whatever you give it. I think they just use a good barrel, and have a good way to bed the action even if that little lug doesn't make some people all warm and fuzzy.

Savage would be my #2 choice if Tikkas were no longer imported.
I couldn't come up with a reason to slum a 1-10" twist 243, regardless of make.
What did Remington do with their 6mm? Supposed to be a better design that Winchesters 243. I do not have a 243 Tikka, but do know that twist can and will make a differance. What does the OP what the rifle to do? Varmits or LG?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
I'll have a Sportsman's Warehouse special run T3 Super-Lite .22-250 just as soon as I can save up enough sheckles.
6mm Remington has always been a 1-9" twist. Your point?
What twist does Rem give the 6mm Rem? Or the 243? What twist do most mfgrs use in 243? Anyone know?
What twist does Rem give the 6mm Rem? Or the 243? What twist do most mfgrs use in 243? Anyone know?

Look 1 post above yours.
There are always the oddball runs and I think I've seen a 40x with a 1-10" factory twist for the 6mm Remington.

More than a few makers give the 243 a 1-10", Remington's are running a 1-9.125" twist.

What did Remington do with their 6mm? Supposed to be a better design that Winchesters 243. I do not have a 243 Tikka, but do know that twist can and will make a differance. What does the OP what the rifle to do? Varmits or LG?

The 6mm is a little larger than the .243 but not enough to make any noticeable difference. When they first hit the market, they were called the .244 and had a 1-12 twist which just would not stabilize longer bullets, as what most wanted to use for deer hunting. Great for varmit size bullets and that is all I will be using a .243 for so the 1-10 twist is fine with me. 1-12 would even be a little better. If I want to shoot heavier bullets, I will step up a caliber or so, probably then use my 7-08.
It's not about heavier, but carry on, you'll be just fine.
Well I guess that was my point, 6mm twist and a heavy bullet. Had a couple of 243's Wifes Winchester XTR Model 70. POS IMHO. 2 MOA+ what ever I did. A Santa Barbara Mauser that with 95 to 105 bullets shot under 1/2". Did not like varmit bullets in the 60 to 80 range. Is the Tikka's twist that different? As I don't have one I'm not sure. What is the ideal twist for all situations? Is there one?
1-9" will do for most, but if building I'd go 1-8".

What's not about heavier? For me, a 65 grain is great for varmints but if I were to go hunting for larger animals, I would prefer a heavier bullet. There's where the 7-08 comes in. Not all that hard to understand.
Yeah, the benefits of single finger picking. I'll never be quick on the keyboard, sorry.
What would be ideal twist for 243 if all weights up to 105 are used?
What's not about heavier? For me, a 65 grain is great for varmints but if I were to go hunting for larger animals, I would prefer a heavier bullet. There's where the 7-08 comes in. Not all that hard to understand.

Twist is about length. Just cuzz it's lighter not mean it's not longer.

If all you want to do is sling 65's get you a 1-8" twist 223 Tikka. Lot better BC bullets.
Yeah, the benefits of single finger picking. I'll never be quick on the keyboard, sorry.
What would be ideal twist for 243 if all weights up to 105 are used?

I think most would prefer a 1-9 or maybe even a 1-8 for the longer bullets.
Gotcha. Will stay away from the new Rem autoloader.

If all you want to do is sling 65's get you a 1-8" twist 223 Tikka. Lot better BC bullets.

Right. Twist is about length.

I have a Cooper in .223AI with a 1-12 twist that works very well as a target-prairie dog type gun. Does great with 40 grain Noslers so think I will be sticking with it.
Gotcha. Will stay away from the new Rem autoloader.

They making one in .243 now? What twist?
I guess that's why I like the bigger slower ones. Heavy for caliber. Only short one I own is the Tikka in 338 Federal. Not the best at the heavier range. In the mid range very effective and accurate. Why try and make someting into what it is not. Tikka/Sako 6.5X55 90 to 160, 9.3X63 CZ 550 232 to 325. I am not a varmit shooter, so for myself a 243 is not in my radar.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
i love my tikka t3 lite in 270win. i bought a weather proof gun,thats what wanted when i ordered it. its one of the most accurate rifles i've ever owned.great trigger and a smooth as silk action. i have 2 buddies wanting a tikka real bad right now after handling mine.

would i buy one in a magnum caliber?hell no,way to lite for me in a magnum.i'm lookin for a 65.55 in a t3 now,but i'm a lefty so they are very hard to come by.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Looks like Hillbillybear's shoots quite well. Is it stock or have you had to tinker with it?

All I did was turn the trigger down to its lowest setting (around 2 lbs) load ammo and go shoot. The 70 grain NBT H4350 load was the first one I ever tried.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Tikkas suck. Can't shoot GameKings either.

[Linked Image]
Woof! That's some more mighty good shootin, Pard.

As of right now, ya'll have done a great job of convincing me.

Thanks
6mm Remington has always been a 1-9" twist. Your point?

Yes and no.As The 6MM Rem.It has been 1-9 twist.In a previous life as The 244 Remington it was 1-12.I still have my Dads 721 in 244 and it shoots 100 gr. bullets just fine.Of course it shoots 70 grainers better. smile
No yes and no, only yes.

So you are saying that a 6MM and 244 are two different cartridges not interchangeable???
Steelhead is the master of succinct.

I on the other hand am the "master" of verbose.

My T3 surely suffered in comparison to the Brown Precision stocked 700KS it shared a safe with.
Originally Posted by Huntz
So you are saying that a 6MM and 244 are two different cartridges not interchangeable???

Nope, I'm saying the 6mm Remington is 1-9" twist by the factory that introduced. Not difficult to follow.

Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Originally Posted by Huntz
Remington introduced the .244 Remington, the 7X57 necked down to 6mm, with a 1 in 12 twist about the time that Winchester introduced the .243 with the 1 in 9 twist (or 1 in 9.something, I forget the exact twist). They figured most people would use the .244 for varmint shooting with lighter, i.e. shorter, bullets. Folks didn�t, they tried to load it with 100 grain bullets for deer, it didn't shoot those accurately, and Winchester kicked their butt in the marketplace.

So Remington renamed the .224 as the 6mm Remington, same cartridge just a different headstamp, and tightened the twist on their 6mm Remington rifles to 1 in 9.

FWIW, they tried to capitalize on the success of their 7mm Remington Magnum by renaming the underloaded .280 Remington as the 7mm Express, which also went over about as well as New Coke, so they renamed that back to the .280.

Which has nothing specifically to do with Tikka's, just showing that I've been reading Gun Digest for a long time.
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Tikka...

For the utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that. I put it in the ugly category with Savage. Can't deny the accuracy of Savage either. However, plastic parts and "one size fits all" actions offend just about all of my "rifle looney" sensibilities!!
Posted By: jay Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Bought one in 6.5X55 a couple of months ago,wood stock with some figure actually. This rifle shoots everything I have tried sub MOA, settled on 120 B.Tips at 1/2 MOA. The fact that this barrel does not copper foul really set the hook though. I know folks don't like some of the features of these guns but for the money I don't think on could do better. Nice rifle IMHO. Jay
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
My 9 twist Ruger doesn't like 105's, so until a company makes an 8 twist 243 barrel, arguing over factory twists is pointless. When I rebarrel my 243, it will be getting a 7.5.

7 be more better?
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
A little off topic, but anyone rebarrel a Tikka to .375 Ruger?
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
Steelhead is the master of succinct.

I on the other hand am the "master" of verbose.

My T3 surely suffered in comparison to the Brown Precision stocked 700KS it shared a safe with.

do you have a lefty to sell
Sent both of those rifles down the road.

I'll forever regret sending the KS away but I was overjoyed to send the Tikka far far away. Still am actually.
Not liking or not stabilizing?

I can run the Amax in a 1-9.125" Remington
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Tikkas - 04/01/12
T3s are gems.

Best factory barrels in the business - some are actually screwed onto Sakos. Best out of the box trigger - better by far than Savage triggers. Stock is okay. No issues with the magazines. That was an item on the rifle that writers tried to suggest would fail. Millions of rounds later, there are no issues.

T3s are the only rifles I've bought that I have left unmodified, except for the addition of a scope. Our firearms continue to progress, but for now, T3s are as close to perfect off the shelf as a hunter can buy.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Tikkas - 04/02/12

I could have some fun taking a quote out of context on this one, Scott...grin.

Somebody will probably make a signature line out of your recommendation to snag a 1-8 Tikka 223 to sling heavies...grin.

DJ
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Tikkas - 04/02/12
I wouldn't know how to act if I bought a rifle that shoots good out of the box without fiddling with it. I think I need a Tikka. Isn't that like the first step toward recovery, or something? smile
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Tikkas - 04/03/12
Trust me is was quite annoying to have an out of the box tikka outshoot a 700 that has seen a new pacnor tube and plenty of love in the bedding, trigger etc.
Posted By: 300grains Re: Tikkas - 04/03/12
A very good idea. Don�t hesitate, get a Tikka, shoot and enjoy it. Better rifle is hard to find for that money.

Posted By: buckfever1 Re: Tikkas - 04/03/12
I have had very good results from 3 T3 Tikkas. .223, 30-06, 6.5x55. They were all very accurate out of the box with factory ammo. I have both plastic composite and wood stocks. If the non-tradional look of plastic turns you off I can see that. I love the trips back from the range because they are always a warm comfortable drive home with great accuracy. I am older so I have a special place for wood and blued. My 6.5x55 is a wood stock and very good piece of wood. It is a bonifide .50 MOA rifle and it is a wood stock. In my book accuracy trumps looks. I have hunted the 30-06 hard for 10 years. It has ridden in a scabard on an ATV 8 miles in 8 miles out everyday. The way in is riddled with rocks, logs and mud holes, ( swamps in Manitoba). So much for it's ability to take a beating. The 30-06 is a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. One hell of a firearm for the money! Buckfever1
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Tikkas - 04/03/12
Not liking or not stabilizing?

I can run the Amax in a 1-9.125" Remington

Not stabilizing. I was getting decent groups at 100yds, but stretch it out and the groups were spraying. Part of the problem is, I cannot get any velocity out of them before I hit stiff bolt and flat primers. I believe with more speed the results could be better. I went back to 95gr bullets until I smoke the barrel.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Tikkas - 04/03/12
I had the same issues as DC223. Shot great at 100, and were spraying a bit at 200. That was a 9.125" 24 inch Remmy tube, and I was pushing them over 3k. But, I have no doubt that a lot of guys can twist them fast enough out of that same barrel. Just didn't do very well for me.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Tikkas - 04/04/12
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I have a T3 Super Light in .30-06. 1:11 barrel, shoots 220 grain bullets into 7/8" groups at 100 yards with a load that was developed for a different rifle. Pretty it ain't, but it works well enough for what it's for. Looking forward to tailoring a 200 gr. NP for it.

It would be a better rifle if the plastic bolt shroud was aluminum, you could top load it, and the mag release functioned better in freezing rain.

i had to sell it but i was able to top load my LH 6.5x55SE and it worked, not the best open face but it worked at least for me ...
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Tikkas - 04/16/12
The nutty part is that I took a Tikka .243 and had the barrel unscrewed, just to put a Lilja 6mm Rem barrel on.

I really wanted a 6mm Remington T3...

[Linked Image]

Now I am wondering what to do with the .243 barrel.

But the 6mm just looks cool! smile
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Tikkas - 04/16/12
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The nutty part is that I took a Tikka .243 and had the barrel unscrewed, just to put a Lilja 6mm Rem barrel on.

I really wanted a 6mm Remington T3...

[Linked Image]

Now I am wondering what to do with the .243 barrel.

But the 6mm just looks cool! smile

Oh, I like that rifle. Have you had a chance to shoot it much yet?

Oh, and did you change over to the LA bolt stop and LA magazine?
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Tikkas - 04/16/12
Mackay,
Any problems pulling the barrel? I keep hearing its a 50/50 bet on taking the barrel off without a relief cut. I am eyeballing a 7mm/08 with the intent of pulling the barrel and reaming to .280AI without paying for a full rebarrel.
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
Dober, you are a changed man..............LOL!!!
Posted By: orion03 Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
I have a 695 in 280 and feel that it is a superior rifle to the T3.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
I've got two, a wood stocked .308 and a plastic .270. Both shoot lights out. I agree with Buckfever, "accuracy trumps looks"
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
I'm pretty late to this party and I've only got experience with one T3, a .308 stainless Lite. I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing. The Tikka's job was to be an economical solution of a light, low-maintenance rifle with good accuracy. I installed a 2.5-8x36 VIII in a Deadnutz mount and it's been exactly that in spades.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing.

Put another way:
They all look the same when the lights go out.

P
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Tikkas - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I'm pretty late to this party and I've only got experience with one T3, a .308 stainless Lite. I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing. The Tikka's job was to be an economical solution of a light, low-maintenance rifle with good accuracy. I installed a 2.5-8x36 VIII in a Deadnutz mount and it's been exactly that in spades.

I've got deadnutz mounts on both of mine. One has a VX-3, the other has a Zeiss Conquest.
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: Tikkas - 04/19/12
Well, my opinion differs. I think they suck smile
I had one in .243. Didn't shoot anything special, and I tried a few things. Oh, it didn't shoot badly, just makes me wonder when I see all the amazement dripping off everyone for how staggeringly accurate they are...I have shot others in different calibers and seen them shot at the range, and nothing ever happened that was special accuracy-wise; the owners all believed in it though. Certainly I never saw one that lived up to its makers much-vaunted accuracy guarantee, and lots of people have them here.

I think its some kind of mass psychosis. Those cheap Tikka guns with all the plastic bits and the three-shot mag you can't top off and the two piece bolt and the funny looking alloy the receiver is made out of, horrible stained stained and plain stocks, Rust inside the trigger assembly, the stainless steel barrels that rust in spots if you just drink a glass of water in front of it....

And to top it all off, where I am they cost as much as a FN Winchester 70.

Yeah, they suck. I'll never get another one, I can't see a reason to go that cheap and spend a lot of money to do it so I can have a very average rifle - just because it was made by Sako.

Sorry someone mentioned "T3" and that all just came out under my fingers. The disappointment still lingers years later.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Tikkas - 04/19/12
I hate my Tikka...it raised the bar on what a real rifle should do, and what real machining should look like.
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: Tikkas - 04/19/12
Compared to what? I have a 1910 Lee Enfield that does a better job of being an accurate and economical sporting rifle...
(One day I'll write an article comparing them. That would be fun.)

Sorry, I get argumentative when they are mentioned also, and lose my manners.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tikkas - 04/19/12
C H - I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the Tikka T 3.

I have a T 3 Lite SS in 270 Win. I'd GLADLY like for you to drop by Arkansas. I have a few WW 270 130 Power Point factory loads left and my handloads of IMR 7828 with 130 Rem Core Lokts, (older GOOD bullets). Both shoot to the same POI, even tho there's 100 + fps difference between them.

NEVER had a problem of ANY KIND. Seriously, I really didn't need to shoot a group, even tho I did. In sighting in, the scope tracked superbly and then I began shooting quart oil bottles out to 300 yds My upper case is for emphasis, I'm not yelling at you.

I'll be moving to Hot Springs, Ar at some UNKNOWN time soon. You're WELCOME anytime.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
My older Tikka 595 .243 is the most consistently accurate centerfire rifle I've ever owned. By that I mean it shoots anything you can cram into it's chamber, whether factory or handload, into sub MOA groups. It's favorite handloads go under .5 MOA consistently but I haven't put much effort into load development either, as I'm not into long range insect hunting and simply have no use for better than I'm already getting. The most amazing thing about it is I didn't have to screw around rebuilding the damned thing to get that performance like I would have with one of Remington's, Winchester's or Ruger's finest. No bedding work, no recrown, no trigger adjustment no nuthin. Just mounted the scope and started shooting itty, bitty groups, right out of the box.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Well, my opinion differs. I think they suck smile
I had one in .243. Didn't shoot anything special, and I tried a few things. Oh, it didn't shoot badly, just makes me wonder when I see all the amazement dripping off everyone for how staggeringly accurate they are...I have shot others in different calibers and seen them shot at the range, and nothing ever happened that was special accuracy-wise; the owners all believed in it though. Certainly I never saw one that lived up to its makers much-vaunted accuracy guarantee, and lots of people have them here.

I think its some kind of mass psychosis. Those cheap Tikka guns with all the plastic bits and the three-shot mag you can't top off and the two piece bolt and the funny looking alloy the receiver is made out of, horrible stained stained and plain stocks, Rust inside the trigger assembly, the stainless steel barrels that rust in spots if you just drink a glass of water in front of it....

And to top it all off, where I am they cost as much as a FN Winchester 70.

Yeah, they suck. I'll never get another one, I can't see a reason to go that cheap and spend a lot of money to do it so I can have a very average rifle - just because it was made by Sako.

Sorry someone mentioned "T3" and that all just came out under my fingers. The disappointment still lingers years later.

A man after my own heart!
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
Yep a fan.. I could rave about Remington issues, Winchester issues etc. I guess like most the two Tikkas in house are all that I ask of a rifle.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
I had a T3 in 300WSM. It did as advertised. I sold it. I liked my 30-'06 #1 and M77 better. That's all.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Put another way:

P

Sorry, but it just can't be dark ENOUGH for some. Sometimes you can FEEL the ugly! I've been told.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by jwall

Put another way:

P

Sorry, but it just can't be dark ENOUGH for some. Sometimes you can FEEL the ugly! I've been told.

Is this what she told you about you, the next morning?

P
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
jwall,

It would be a pleasure. I might suprise you in Arkansas my good man, I have a friend in Wynn and I am hoping to hunt with him next year...

With my .243 the last straw was that the trigger would corrode and gum up and I lost two animals over it, nothing I did would stop that trigger from sticking, if the weather said snow next week, the gun wouldnt fire. If it rained the night before, same deal. I lost confidence in it, and then realised I hadn't had much pleasure out of it anyway, having been underwhelmed with the whole concept anyway, so I sent it down the road.
I would rather deal with a Howa 1500 for a good rifle at a reasonable price; older Sako-type design and so forth.

Posted By: byd Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
carlsenhighway your an azzhole.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Tikkas - 04/20/12
I have a new Tikka .223 twisted 1 in 8 sitting in the vault that I have not shot yet. I am waiting to see if it will run with Sako's.

Dink

Is this what she told you about you, the next morning?

P

shocked who me ? certainly not! grin

I was talking about guns. smirk

Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
jwall,

It would be a pleasure. I might suprise you in Arkansas my good man, I have a friend in Wynn and I am hoping to hunt with him next year...

The invitation stands. Let me know as/if things develop.
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
Originally Posted by byd

You can't get too wound up my sensitive friend, there's about 60 positive posts on the thread and just me and Nsaqam who don't like them.
Reminds me of the Gary Larson cartoon with a big hall for the "I Hate Dances With Wolves" party, and its got just three people in it drinking weak cordial.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
Originally Posted by byd

And you are a moron.

As evidenced by your spelling skills.

Go back to third grade.

Posted By: bh444 Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
The only problem with the Tikka is....
They may turn you into a Sako slut.That happened to me.
Posted By: djs Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
How does the Tikka T-3 compare to the Ruger American?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Tikkas - 04/21/12
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Dober, you are a changed man..............LOL!!!

Thinking you lost me on this Aggie?

Have a good weekend my friend.

Dober
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Tikkas - 04/22/12
Beretta is not a very good distributer however, just look at what is available to the rest of the world that we can not get..

Trust me when I say that the difference between what is available in Europe, and what is available in the USA, will narrow considerably in the next year or two. It's taken sometime, but someone finally switched the light on at Beretta USA (Sako/Tikka importer) and senior management and ownership at both Sako/Tikka and Beretta USA is addressing the shortfall.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Tikkas - 04/25/12
Only problem I have with Tikka's is I dont get to visit with my gunsmith anymore.

When I was buying new Remington 700's and a couple of Winchester featherlights I had lots of reason to go visit smile

Originally Posted by bh444
The only problem with the Tikka is....
They may turn you into a Sako slut.That happened to me.

I too was so happy with my Tikka's I traded up to a couple of Finnlights so I too am a Sako slut...
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Tikkas - 04/25/12
said it before, my tikka is so easy to load for that it is boring. I actually really want to know what makes it so easy and accurate. That gun needs to be reverse engineered by a gunsmith. haha
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Tikkas - 04/25/12
Trust me when I say that the difference between what is available in Europe, and what is available in the USA, will narrow considerably in the next year or two. It's taken sometime, but someone finally switched the light on at Beretta USA (Sako/Tikka importer) and senior management and ownership at both Sako/Tikka and Beretta USA is addressing the shortfall.

This is great news.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Tikkas - 04/28/12
Rumor has it that the T3 SS Lite will be offered in 9.3x62 or 9.3x66.
© 24hourcampfire