Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had very good results from 3 T3 Tikkas. .223, 30-06, 6.5x55. They were all very accurate out of the box with factory ammo. I have both plastic composite and wood stocks. If the non-tradional look of plastic turns you off I can see that. I love the trips back from the range because they are always a warm comfortable drive home with great accuracy. I am older so I have a special place for wood and blued. My 6.5x55 is a wood stock and very good piece of wood. It is a bonifide .50 MOA rifle and it is a wood stock. In my book accuracy trumps looks. I have hunted the 30-06 hard for 10 years. It has ridden in a scabard on an ATV 8 miles in 8 miles out everyday. The way in is riddled with rocks, logs and mud holes, ( swamps in Manitoba). So much for it's ability to take a beating. The 30-06 is a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. One hell of a firearm for the money! Buckfever1

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not liking or not stabilizing?

I can run the Amax in a 1-9.125" Remington

Not stabilizing. I was getting decent groups at 100yds, but stretch it out and the groups were spraying. Part of the problem is, I cannot get any velocity out of them before I hit stiff bolt and flat primers. I believe with more speed the results could be better. I went back to 95gr bullets until I smoke the barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same issues as DC223. Shot great at 100, and were spraying a bit at 200. That was a 9.125" 24 inch Remmy tube, and I was pushing them over 3k. But, I have no doubt that a lot of guys can twist them fast enough out of that same barrel. Just didn't do very well for me.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I have a T3 Super Light in .30-06. 1:11 barrel, shoots 220 grain bullets into 7/8" groups at 100 yards with a load that was developed for a different rifle. Pretty it ain't, but it works well enough for what it's for. Looking forward to tailoring a 200 gr. NP for it.

It would be a better rifle if the plastic bolt shroud was aluminum, you could top load it, and the mag release functioned better in freezing rain.

i had to sell it but i was able to top load my LH 6.5x55SE and it worked, not the best open face but it worked at least for me ...

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The nutty part is that I took a Tikka .243 and had the barrel unscrewed, just to put a Lilja 6mm Rem barrel on.

I really wanted a 6mm Remington T3...

[Linked Image]

Now I am wondering what to do with the .243 barrel.

But the 6mm just looks cool! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The nutty part is that I took a Tikka .243 and had the barrel unscrewed, just to put a Lilja 6mm Rem barrel on.

I really wanted a 6mm Remington T3...

[Linked Image]

Now I am wondering what to do with the .243 barrel.

But the 6mm just looks cool! smile

Oh, I like that rifle. Have you had a chance to shoot it much yet?

Oh, and did you change over to the LA bolt stop and LA magazine?

Last edited by hillbillybear; 04/16/12.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Mackay,
Any problems pulling the barrel? I keep hearing its a 50/50 bet on taking the barrel off without a relief cut. I am eyeballing a 7mm/08 with the intent of pulling the barrel and reaming to .280AI without paying for a full rebarrel.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober, you are a changed man..............LOL!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 695 in 280 and feel that it is a superior rifle to the T3.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got two, a wood stocked .308 and a plastic .270. Both shoot lights out. I agree with Buckfever, "accuracy trumps looks"

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm pretty late to this party and I've only got experience with one T3, a .308 stainless Lite. I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing. The Tikka's job was to be an economical solution of a light, low-maintenance rifle with good accuracy. I installed a 2.5-8x36 VIII in a Deadnutz mount and it's been exactly that in spades.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing.

Put another way:
They all look the same when the lights go out.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I'm pretty late to this party and I've only got experience with one T3, a .308 stainless Lite. I look at it like this; not every girl you know has to be a looker to be worth knowing. The Tikka's job was to be an economical solution of a light, low-maintenance rifle with good accuracy. I installed a 2.5-8x36 VIII in a Deadnutz mount and it's been exactly that in spades.

I've got deadnutz mounts on both of mine. One has a VX-3, the other has a Zeiss Conquest.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, my opinion differs. I think they suck smile
I had one in .243. Didn't shoot anything special, and I tried a few things. Oh, it didn't shoot badly, just makes me wonder when I see all the amazement dripping off everyone for how staggeringly accurate they are...I have shot others in different calibers and seen them shot at the range, and nothing ever happened that was special accuracy-wise; the owners all believed in it though. Certainly I never saw one that lived up to its makers much-vaunted accuracy guarantee, and lots of people have them here.

I think its some kind of mass psychosis. Those cheap Tikka guns with all the plastic bits and the three-shot mag you can't top off and the two piece bolt and the funny looking alloy the receiver is made out of, horrible stained stained and plain stocks, Rust inside the trigger assembly, the stainless steel barrels that rust in spots if you just drink a glass of water in front of it....

And to top it all off, where I am they cost as much as a FN Winchester 70.

Yeah, they suck. I'll never get another one, I can't see a reason to go that cheap and spend a lot of money to do it so I can have a very average rifle - just because it was made by Sako.

Sorry someone mentioned "T3" and that all just came out under my fingers. The disappointment still lingers years later.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/19/12.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hate my Tikka...it raised the bar on what a real rifle should do, and what real machining should look like.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Compared to what? I have a 1910 Lee Enfield that does a better job of being an accurate and economical sporting rifle...
(One day I'll write an article comparing them. That would be fun.)

Sorry, I get argumentative when they are mentioned also, and lose my manners.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/19/12.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C H - I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the Tikka T 3.

I have a T 3 Lite SS in 270 Win. I'd GLADLY like for you to drop by Arkansas. I have a few WW 270 130 Power Point factory loads left and my handloads of IMR 7828 with 130 Rem Core Lokts, (older GOOD bullets). Both shoot to the same POI, even tho there's 100 + fps difference between them.

NEVER had a problem of ANY KIND. Seriously, I really didn't need to shoot a group, even tho I did. In sighting in, the scope tracked superbly and then I began shooting quart oil bottles out to 300 yds My upper case is for emphasis, I'm not yelling at you.

I'll be moving to Hot Springs, Ar at some UNKNOWN time soon. You're WELCOME anytime.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My older Tikka 595 .243 is the most consistently accurate centerfire rifle I've ever owned. By that I mean it shoots anything you can cram into it's chamber, whether factory or handload, into sub MOA groups. It's favorite handloads go under .5 MOA consistently but I haven't put much effort into load development either, as I'm not into long range insect hunting and simply have no use for better than I'm already getting. The most amazing thing about it is I didn't have to screw around rebuilding the damned thing to get that performance like I would have with one of Remington's, Winchester's or Ruger's finest. No bedding work, no recrown, no trigger adjustment no nuthin. Just mounted the scope and started shooting itty, bitty groups, right out of the box.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Well, my opinion differs. I think they suck smile
I had one in .243. Didn't shoot anything special, and I tried a few things. Oh, it didn't shoot badly, just makes me wonder when I see all the amazement dripping off everyone for how staggeringly accurate they are...I have shot others in different calibers and seen them shot at the range, and nothing ever happened that was special accuracy-wise; the owners all believed in it though. Certainly I never saw one that lived up to its makers much-vaunted accuracy guarantee, and lots of people have them here.

I think its some kind of mass psychosis. Those cheap Tikka guns with all the plastic bits and the three-shot mag you can't top off and the two piece bolt and the funny looking alloy the receiver is made out of, horrible stained stained and plain stocks, Rust inside the trigger assembly, the stainless steel barrels that rust in spots if you just drink a glass of water in front of it....

And to top it all off, where I am they cost as much as a FN Winchester 70.

Yeah, they suck. I'll never get another one, I can't see a reason to go that cheap and spend a lot of money to do it so I can have a very average rifle - just because it was made by Sako.

Sorry someone mentioned "T3" and that all just came out under my fingers. The disappointment still lingers years later.

A man after my own heart!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep a fan.. I could rave about Remington issues, Winchester issues etc. I guess like most the two Tikkas in house are all that I ask of a rifle.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 12,227 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,833
Posts18,537,092
Members74,047
Most Online13,949
9 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.